Home
Posted By: Retired_Spook Opinions - 05/27/23
I have a real nice 1937 rampant lion crest VZ-24 action that I am finally getting around to putting together. I have a short-chambered 30-06 Douglas barrel for it but I've been tossing around the idea of 280 Ackley Improved...

I'm wondering - would a stock VZ-24 feed a 280 Ackley Improved without magazine or feed rail modification?
Posted By: 358WCF Re: Opinions - 05/27/23
I have some tired old 30-06 Ackley brass in the scrap bucket if you want to try to run a few thru the magazine. Let me know.

You'll be needing a few more posts before you can send PMs though. It might be up to 50 now...
Posted By: Retired_Spook Re: Opinions - 05/27/23
Thank you sir. It will take me a year to hit 50-posts...
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Opinions - 05/27/23
If you - 358WCF - pm him, can he respond to you?
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Opinions - 05/27/23
Go with the .30/06.
Posted By: Retired_Spook Re: Opinions - 05/27/23
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Go with the .30/06.

The sensible thing to do since I already have a barrel, and there is certainly nothing wrong with the venerable 30-06.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Opinions - 05/28/23
A .30/06 is never a bad choice.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: Opinions - 05/28/23
Originally Posted by Offshoreman

No. It says he's over his limit.
Posted By: Retired_Spook Re: Opinions - 05/28/23
Originally Posted by 358WCF
Originally Posted by Offshoreman

No. It says he's over his limit.

I can assure you, I am not over my limit! I do not have enough cred yet to pm anyone.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Opinions - 05/28/23
Got some 280 AI. I’d be glad to send you some.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Got some 280 AI. I’d be glad to send you some.

I would need a 280 AI chambered barrel to screw into the receiver to see if it would actually feed, wouldn't I?

I think it makes more sense to use the 30-06 barrel I already have. I have always wanted a 280 AI but I can live without it.
Posted By: tdoyka Re: Opinions - 05/28/23
put on a 280AI barrel and then you will have it.

i have my first deer rifle, a Winchester post-94 ('72 top eject) in 30-30 that i sent to JES Reboring and Jess did a 35/30-30 that i should done years and years ago instead of putting in a safe (20+ years). since i don't see too well, i put a Williams FP aperture sight on it. in 4 years, she has killed a buck and 2 does (last year i only went out for a day because i was going in for a heart catheter, which it comes out, was not needed).
Originally Posted by tdoyka
put on a 280AI barrel and then you will have it.

i have my first deer rifle, a Winchester post-94 ('72 top eject) in 30-30 that i sent to JES Reboring and Jess did a 35/30-30 that i should done years and years ago instead of putting in a safe (20+ years). since i don't see too well, i put a Williams FP aperture sight on it. in 4 years, she has killed a buck and 2 does (last year i only went out for a day because i was going in for a heart catheter, which it comes out, was not needed).

OK, send me a 280 AI chambered barrel threaded for a 98 Mauser and I will give it a try! laugh

Glad to hear about your heart! I had an coronary angiogram about a year ago and the doctor told me I have "horse arteries." Been taking fish oil pills for 35-years!!!

I need aperture sights too!
Posted By: tdoyka Re: Opinions - 05/31/23
i have three 98 Mausers. a sporterized 1908 Brazilian and a sporterized 24/30 Venezuelan in 7x57. also a sporterized 1944 '98 Mauser in 8x57.

1944 Mauser with a Lyman aperture
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

the 8x57 is a dream to shoot and the Brazilian 7x57 just got D&T for a scope base and the bolt handle was bent, also a new Beuhler safety was put on by my gunsmith. i got a 140gr SAECO FN GC that i have to shoot.

i have three 91 Argies (7.65x53), a 1916 Spanish Mauser in 6.5x55 Swede, 1916 Spanish and a '95 Chilian Mauser actions. Husqvarna m46 ('96 Mauser) in 9.3x57. i had a sporterized '98 FN Mauser in a 20" Douglas barrel, a Timney trigger and a Fajen synthetic wood stock in 7x57. my oldest son now has it, but the deer i shot was enuff to fill triaxle dump truck or two.

16 Spanish

'98 FN (old picture)

Husky m46
Posted By: Retired_Spook Re: Opinions - 05/31/23
Nice rifles. I love Mauser actions - designed 125-years ago and still 100% relevant in my humble opinion. They sure have become scarce, and expensive.

I hope I can turn my Mauser into something nice.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Opinions - 05/31/23
I think you would be dissapointed with that conversion, as the 98 action is a bit short for the 06 length case to utilize the longer 7mm high BC bullets you will want to shoot.
I say this after some time with the 8mm-06 AI I had converted.

I would make up a dummy round off a 280 case, seat a bullet you desire to shoot, and see how it may fit.

BTB, IF you have a compitent Smith do the work, he should be able to give you a correct answer on feeding issues.
Posted By: Retired_Spook Re: Opinions - 05/31/23
Thanks! I am sticking with the 10-twist 30-06 barrel I already have.
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Opinions - 06/12/23
Go with the best of both worlds - 30-06 AI. Let me know if you need brass. If you can't PM yet, my email is in my profile
Posted By: Rapier Re: Opinions - 06/13/23
You are always well dressed with an 06 on your arm.

I rebuilt a 98 Mouser, a bring back gun, of his father's from the Eastern Front, really tough shape, for my son's favorite HH-60 "Pedro" rescue pilot, he shot a deer with it in MI first time out. I had sighted it in 1" high at 100 with Winchester White Box 150s, as he was not a reloader. First shot 162 yards, neck shot, 8 point, DRT.
The rifle, metal, stock, scope, etc was a thank you to "Yogi" for always bringing my son back, on over 300 rescue missions that Yogi flew with my son. a PJ. Son said Yogi would hold a hover taking fire, while and until everyone was loaded. Yogi died last year from cancer, another vet that died but did not know it at the time.
© 24hourcampfire