Home
Posted By: EdM Found a Neat One at My LGS - 05/30/23
Another consignment piece that I spotted a week ago. I dropped by again today to give it better look. Fairly high condition. The action dates to 1953. No builder name unless it is hidden. Tomorrow I will take it apart to check. Clearly not the builders first rodeo. Inside the bow bottom metal, two panel checkered bolt, built up and checkered bolt release and it appears to be rust blued. I have wanted a Swede for years and finally found one that ticked the box. Zeiss Diavari-C 1.5-4.5x18 in Leupold QDs's. I have set of sculpted Talley bases that will go on it along with 1-screws QD's. Pretty well priced too. Pretty stoked. Now it's dies, brass and bullets.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: colodog Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 05/30/23
Wow, that's gorgeous! A great cartridge too.

Finding a custom rifle without paying for the custom build, you did very well there!
Posted By: Bella1 Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 05/30/23
Wow is right . What a beauty!! Congrats
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 05/30/23
Ed;
Good afternoon sir, I'm going to go out on a limb here and surmise that wonderful find has more than offset other grievous occurrences of late? wink

Now as you know, my Teutonic heritage both keeps my hat from blowing off in a stiff wind and affects my tastes in stock shape, but Holy Smokes sir that one checks all the boxes for me.

I do love the chambering, the figure of the lumber is wonderful and the little accent carving in front of the front sling swivel is icing on the cake.

I'd agree with your assessment that whomever did this, it wasn't the first attempt.

The checkering and the lines on the stock are very well executed in my opinion.

Absolutely wonderful arm there sir, well done on picking it up.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dwayne

Edit to add;

We've killed local mulie and whitetail bucks with two different 6.5x55's with a bunch of different bullets. Mostly nowadays our daughter runs 130gr TSX in her 20" barreled '96 and I've been playing with either 120gr TTSX or GMX in my 21" barreled rifle on a 98 action.

But 140's worked too, as have 129gr Hornady.

Any slower powder - say IMR or H4350, RL 19 or either H or IMR 4831 have all given acceptable results.
Excellent find Ed.
Great looking rifle Ed, I really like that stock and I am not a fan of full length stocks!
Sweet!
Beautiful rifle, congratulations.
Posted By: jk16 Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 05/30/23
The stockmaker will most likely be stamped somewhere like the barrel channel or under the buttplate..

Based on the styling details of the buttstock and the Checkering pattern my prediction as to the maker of the stock is one of these three men-

1) Dale Goens

2) Al Bieson

3) Maurice Ottmar

I am almost 90% sure it is a Dale Goens stock as his buttstock architecture was similar to Bieson's and he used that exact ribbon and Fluer de lis pattern quite a bit. As a matter of fact that stock is a near duplicate of a Mannlicher style stock he made out of Oregon Black walnut that was pictured in Monte Kennedys "Gunstock Carving and Checkering" book from the 1950s. That even had the same checkering pattern and the Schnabble carved mid way up the forend..
what a beautiful find, please keep us informed as you explore further...
Posted By: EdM Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 05/31/23
Thanks gents. JK16 greatly appreciated. I was going to post it on AR and see what the folks say there.
JK16, I think you nailed it with Goens. The bottom metal screws on mine are given a similar checkering and the checkering appears spot on. Do you know if he typically "signed" his work?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/dale-...lis-checkering-3-of--438538082455539188/
Posted By: ingwe Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 05/31/23
REALLY cool Ed...Don't let Patrick see that wood!
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 05/31/23
Congrats on a very nice rifle. That would have come home with me in a second and I have a custom Mannlicher stocked 6.5X55!!!. You will love the cartridge.
Originally Posted by ingwe
REALLY cool Ed...Don't let Patrick see that wood!

It is sweet Tom. Now if I could find some 6.5 bullets...
Posted By: dave284 Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 05/31/23
If it shoots half as good as it looks it'll be a 1/4'' rifle. Wow! Gorgeous!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 05/31/23
Congratulations on a great find. It's simply stunning and I appreciate you sharing photos with us. Please keep us updated as it begins its journey with you.
Very nice-- good snag
Posted By: papat Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 05/31/23
Work of art.
Yes sir, that is a neat one. I'm a stainless, coated, synthetic stocked guy for using but I can really appreciate one put together like that. Very nice.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 05/31/23
Can’t say much more than has already been said, so I’ll just say that rifle is beautiful. Just perfect in every way.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 05/31/23
Beautiful rifle. Congratulations.
I never cared for full-stocked rifles.

But I'd make an exception for that one. It's gorgeous.

Okie John
Very nice rifle. A hell of a find. Thanks for sharing!!
Great find! Congrats!

Ed
I think I got a bargain.

Posted By: Judman Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 05/31/23
Damn, lotta cool in that package big Ed.👊🏻
Posted By: Westman Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 05/31/23
WHAT A SCORE!!

Beautiful wood and I love the checkering pattern.
Posted By: jk16 Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/01/23
Originally Posted by EdM
I think I got a bargain.

Well, I guess I was correct.

Tell me Ed. ,was the LGS you bought that rifle from located in Texas or Idaho?

Just curious.
Posted By: tdd4570 Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/01/23
Beautiful rifle Ed.

I looked at it but didn’t have the cash.

My son was drooling over the wood also.

Enjoy
Dave
Posted By: 1minute Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/01/23
Nice find!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/01/23
What a score. Nice grab. That looks like a handy lil son of a gun.
Posted By: EdM Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/01/23
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by EdM
I think I got a bargain.

Well, I guess I was correct.

Tell me Ed. ,was the LGS you bought that rifle from located in Texas or Idaho?

Just curious.

Texas, about 15 miles from my house.
Posted By: EdM Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/01/23
Originally Posted by tdd4570
Beautiful rifle Ed.

I looked at it but didn’t have the cash.

My son was drooling over the wood also.

Enjoy
Dave

Yep. They dropped the price to $2600 and I was done. Nice little custom laminated Mauser there as well.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/01/23
Boom!!! Ed you had the buy of the month and maybe next month as well.

Super good on you. Hope you bring it to the hog hunt cause I want to fondel it.

Also please bring your .41 SPC since I've got one also so we could compare. You bought an awesome fire stick.
Very Very Nice . Beautiful wood.
Nice find. That’s a beauty 😁
Dam that's pretty! Great find!
Posted By: LOBO2 Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/01/23
That rifle is a piece of art!! I'd be happy to hunt with it if it were mine!! Congrats wink
That is a pretty rifle!
Posted By: ChanceD Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/02/23
Dang, you did really good! What a beautiful rifle!
Ed,

Beautiful rifle, congratulations. I'm to old to be a son, but I'd be happy to be your long lost brother when you are assigning this one in your will.

I don't know what you're going to be looking for in regards to ammo or components, but quite of few of us last year bought Norma 6.5x55 Professional Hunter ammo loaded with 140gr. Nosler Partitions. At $24.95 a box, it almost doesn't make sense to buy components.

It's listed velocity is 2690 fps and out of my Tikka got 2670 fps with .75 inch accuracy. Rivertown Munitions still has a good supply of it. I bought two cases and may by another. Link below for your convenience.

https://rivertownmunitions.com/prod...40-grain-partition-soft-point-20-rd-box/
Posted By: EdM Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/02/23
Originally Posted by aboltfan
Ed,

Beautiful rifle, congratulations. I'm to old to be a son, but I'd be happy to be your long lost brother when you are assigning this one in your will.

I don't know what you're going to be looking for in regards to ammo or components, but quite of few of us last year bought Norma 6.5x55 Professional Hunter ammo loaded with 140gr. Nosler Partitions. At $24.95 a box, it almost doesn't make sense to buy components.

It's listed velocity is 2690 fps and out of my Tikka got 2670 fps with .75 inch accuracy. Rivertown Munitions still has a good supply of it. I bought two cases and may by another. Link below for your convenience.

https://rivertownmunitions.com/prod...40-grain-partition-soft-point-20-rd-box/

I received your PM. Thanks and an order is in.
Well, I have to congratulate the campfire. Before I posted the link for EdM last night, I checked the company's inventory to make sure they still had that ammo.

Since last night, ya'll have managed to buy 26 cases of great 6.5x55 ammo.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/02/23
Almost missed it! Only 5 were available according to the website so that's all I could get.
Gorgeous, Ed, just gorgeous.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/02/23
That is a nice pick up Ed.
I’m not a European fan or a fan of full stock rifles but I do appreciate beauty and that is most definitely a beauty Ed.

That will look good in the field or in the rack and I hope you begin creating memories with her soon!
Wow! Great grab!
Beautiful. Neat find indeed. Congrats Ed.

Edit to add:

Good campfire thread on Dale Goens:

Dale Goens Rifle - Ask the Gunwriters _ 11-03-2011

Obituary for GOENS

Obituary for GOENS

Published in the Albuquerque Journal on Thursday July 21, 2005
Dale Wesley Goens September 8, 1916-July 18, 2005 In the calm and peace of morning, as the sun's golden rays began to fill the shadows cast from the mountain behind the Cedar Crest home, of Dale Wesley Goens. With his family at his side Dale went home to our Lord and savior Jesus. Dale courageously fought the long-term effects of prostrate cancer.

Dale was the first born son to Elva Leranzo and Eva Massengail Goens. Dale was born in the town of Plainville, in Rooks County, Kansas. Dale's family later moved to the town of Horton in northeastern Kansas. His father worked for the Rock Island Railroad, Dale went to school in Horton. In high school Dale lettered in football and track. Summer months he worked on the Rock Island Line, doing track work. Dale's father bought him a guitar when he was a teenager. Music would become a life long connection for Dale. In the 1930's Dale was playing professionally in a western swing band in Enid, Oklahoma. He and the band played on radio station KCRC in Enid as well as the dance halls in the area.

It was during this time period Dale met the love of his life. On January, 1, 1939 in Tonkaway, Oklahoma Dale married Margaret Miller. Dale and Margaret's first son Jerry was born on June 17, 1940 in Enid, Oklahoma. Dale was still playing music in Enid, the looming prospects of war caused Dale to end his music career. Dale left his family behind in Enid and went to Kansas City to North America Aviation Aeronautical School. After completing school Dale brought Margaret and Jerry to Kansas City. Dale went to work in North American's Kansas City, Kansas plant building B-25 aircraft. On March 5, 1942 Dale and Margaret's second son David was born. At war's end in 1945 the Kansas City plant was closed, Dale and his family moved to Portland, Oregon. The time in Portland was less than a year and the family moved back to Enid.

Dale starting playing music again and was working at a music store teaching guitar and handling instrument sales. It was during this period of time in Enid that Dale build his own arch top guitar. Dale always had a love affair with wood. In Kansas City Dale built model airplane gliders and flew them in competition. His high school days he build various projects that were with him the rest of his life. In spring of 1949 Dale got an offer to work at Sandia Base in Albuquerque. Dale and his wife Margaret and two sons, David and Jerry moved to Albuquerque and later to Cedar Crest in August of 1949. While the actual location of Cedar Crest in the past 56 years has moved up and down North Highway 14, Dale and Margaret have made Cedar Crest their home for all these many years. In 1949, the road that was the route in and out of Cedar Crest was then, North Highway 10. A two lane paved road with little traffic. The peace and tranquility of the East Mountains and Cedar Crest was ideal for raising their two sons. In 1954 Dale and Margaret were blessed with a daughter, Linda Gail.

Dale worked at Sandia Base from spring of 1950 till he took an early retirement in October 1971. With his interest in New Mexico big game hunting and his love of wood, Dale developed a side line business of making custom gunstocks for hunting rifles. Prior to his base retirement his gun business had grown to such a point that he had to either pursue it full time or give up the business. Dale achieved national and international success with his business; Dale continued his gunstock making business until November of 2000. At which time he retired from the gunstock making to enjoy his final years.

Dale never totally give up his interest in music. In the early 1950's Dale and Margaret with two other families started a small community church as a Sunday school in the home of, Harvey and Wilda Fullmer in Tijeras. As the church grew it alter moved to a location on Frost Road, near the village of San Antonito. Dale led the congregational singing and with the guitar he made, played and sang the special music on Sunday mornings. Dale never relinquished his guitar, but playing time was more to his favorite radio station and music CDs. Dale was preceded in passing by both his parents; brother, Loren Thomas Goens; sister, Ruth Ilene Martz and son, David Wesley Goens. Dale is survived by his wife and life long partner of 66 years, Margaret; son, Jerry and wife, Susan Goens; daughter, Linda and husband, Rob Nezzer; daughter-in-law, Donna Goens; sisters, Norma Ruby Goens and Betty Louise Cogdell. Dale was blessed with five grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren. A Memorial Service will be conducted at Mountainside United Methodist Church in Cedar Crest, July 23, 2005 at 11:00 a.m. The family requests, in lieu of flowers, donations to the American Cancer Society or the Heartland Hospice Services in Albuquerque.
Posted By: EdM Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/06/23
Yes I found that 'fire link soon after I bought the rifle. I was fortunate enough to meet most of those now deceased in that thread.
Posted By: cotis Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/06/23
Very cool.

JK16 - amazing call on the stock maker
Posted By: Brad Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/07/23
Just now seeing this thread Ed, and had to surface to congratulate you on such a great find, and at a real bargain price!
Posted By: jk16 Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/08/23
Originally Posted by cotis

Thanks, but I am a victim of a very selective photographic memory. I saw this in Monte Kennedy's book in the mid 1970s and never forgot what that stock looked like.

With the exception of that Al Biesen-esque recurve to the back of the cheekpiece shadow line. The stock Ed snagged is a near dead ring for this one . Me-thinks Mr. Goens got MORE than a few orders from that book. I am sure many folks said "build me a Mannlicher style stock JUST like that one".

Posted By: EdM Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/08/23
Originally Posted by Brad
Just now seeing this thread Ed, and had to surface to congratulate you on such a great find, and at a real bargain price!

Brad,

It really is a neat rifle chambered in a round I have wanted to own for years and really a fitting combo in rifle style and chambering in my mind. So much so that it is sitting with me in my hotel room in Ogden as we head to north Idaho for the summer just so I can shoot it.
What a beauty !
Wow. That rifle is gorgeous, I am a fan of Mannlicher stocked rifles. Great snag Ed.
Beautiful rifle and great snag Ed. It is amazing to me that the dealer would make no effort to figure out what he had before offering it for sale. At any rate enjoy..mb
Posted By: jc189 Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/09/23
Congrats on your new to you Dale Goens. What a great find.
good Lord! what a beauty!
i was all set to cry if you had found that at a shop up here Ed.
world class action.
world class chambering.
world class wood
world class builder
world class checkering.
combined that is out of this world!
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Beautiful rifle and great snag Ed. It is amazing to me that the dealer would make no effort to figure out what he had before offering it for sale. At any rate enjoy..mb

Sadly, it's been my experience that many dealers do not have the time, the interest or inclination to go gaga over wonderful rifles like these. It is only the true aficionados such as inhabit this forum that really care for them. "It looks nice, let's price it at X" is the common attitude. A shame in some respects but it can often prove fortunate for others including the OP who got what can only be termed 'the deal of a lifetime.' Congratulations on a gorgeous rifle.
Originally Posted by the_gman

Sadly, it's been my experience that many dealers do not have the time, the interest or inclination to go gaga over wonderful rifles like these. It is only the true aficionados such as inhabit this forum that really care for them. "It looks nice, let's price it at X" is the common attitude. A shame in some respects but it can often prove fortunate for others including the OP who got what can only be termed 'the deal of a lifetime.' Congratulations on a gorgeous rifle.
Not all gun dealers are gun people.

DF
I’d hunt that rifle in a heartbeat, good find!
That is a truly incredible rifle Ed! Thank you so much for sharing, I've enjoyed seeing people's input into this beautiful rifle.

DF[/quote]
Gee DF that's a fact for sure but it is a perfect example of the fact that idiots are everywhere. Well Ed had some luck but he is an engineer and they are used to dealing with idiots so he came out on top as one would expect.. Good job.Ed.

DF
Gee DF that's a fact for sure but it is a perfect example of the fact that idiots are everywhere. Well Ed had some luck but he is an engineer and they are used to dealing with idiots so he came out on top as one would expect.. Good job.Ed.[/quote]
I’m sure Ed’s glad the dealer didn’t research this rifle. That stamp in the stock greatly enhances the value.

Great find, super deal.

DF
Originally Posted by EdM
Another consignment piece that I spotted a week ago. I dropped by again today to give it better look. Fairly high condition. The action dates to 1953. No builder name unless it is hidden. Tomorrow I will take it apart to check. Clearly not the builders first rodeo. Inside the bow bottom metal, two panel checkered bolt, built up and checkered bolt release and it appears to be rust blued. I have wanted a Swede for years and finally found one that ticked the box. Zeiss Diavari-C 1.5-4.5x18 in Leupold QDs's. I have set of sculpted Talley bases that will go on it along with 1-screws QD's. Pretty well priced too. Pretty stoked. Now it's dies, brass and bullets.

Eye candy that goes BANG!

Veeerrrryyy nice.
cool
How does it shoot?
Posted By: EdM Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/11/23
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
How does it shoot?

I just spent five days getting from my place in Texas to my place in north Idaho and brought it with me. I should get it out in a week or two.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/11/23
Ran across this thread today Ed. Wow, what a find and great deal.
Best of luck with it. Do you plan to hunt with it ?
That scope is a good one. I found one to put on my Len Brownell built 7RM on a Champlin and Haskins action. The way he positioned the rings, which he made, not many scope would work due to wide spacing.

It looks good on your rifle. I found the glass to be exceptional.

DF

Posted By: beretzs Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/12/23
Man that was a dandy Brownell. Very nice one DF
Originally Posted by beretzs
Man that was a dandy Brownell. Very nice one DF
Thanks, it was a bit fancy for me; I ultimately sold it to a Fire contributor who bought it for his son. At least he's trying to educate the younger generation about finer firearms.

I posted these pictures to let EdM know what I think of that scope. They're hard to find and aren't cheap when you do find one.

I think he'll like it. Agree with him changing those rings and bases; those don't do much for me. Evidently they don't do much for him and I like his replacement choice.

Ed snagged a really fine rifle. I guess it takes ole farts like us to appreciate that kinda vintage workmanship. The younger crowd seems more into black rifles and such.

DF

Edited to add, everyone needs at least one Swede. I really like mine, and although I do have a manbun, a 6.5-284 and a 26 Nos, the Swede is an appreciated classic, proudly holding it's own in my safe.
That's a beautiful Goens that you'll enjoy the remainder of your days. Congratulations on finding such a beautiful creation by a top shelf artisan!
Posted By: mbenz Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/15/23
That’s a beautiful rifle!
Posted By: EdM Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/17/23
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by cotis

Thanks, but I am a victim of a very selective photographic memory. I saw this in Monte Kennedy's book in the mid 1970s and never forgot what that stock looked like.

With the exception of that Al Biesen-esque recurve to the back of the cheekpiece shadow line. The stock Ed snagged is a near dead ring for this one . Me-thinks Mr. Goens got MORE than a few orders from that book. I am sure many folks said "build me a Mannlicher style stock JUST like that one".

That book arrived today. About identical.
Amazing rifle.

JK16 knows his high end vintage rifle makers. Kudos; I'm impressed.

EdM, let us know how it shoots, probably about as good as it looks.

DF
Posted By: EdM Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/17/23
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Amazing rifle.

JK16 knows his high end vintage rifle makers. Kudos; I'm impressed.

EdM, let us know how it shoots, probably about as good as it looks.

DF

Give me a week or two. Talley sent me the wrong ring levers and my son and DIL are up here for the week beginning tomorrow. It should time nicely.
Curious about your North Idaho digs. Bet it’s nice. Have you ever posted pictures of the scenery, etc? Beautiful country up there. Bet it’s cooler in summer than TX.

Some don’t like to post pictures of their property. Not sure your thoughts on such.

DF
Posted By: EdM Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 06/18/23
No worries.

Winters were fun. I just picked up my youngest shown here and his pregnant wife today for a week up here without their near 1 year old son. Her birthday was today, 25...

We are well back in the mountains shown.

That's Schweitzer Ski Resort on the off mountain.

Ed-

Hope you found some ammo. Lapua ready rolled 139 gr and 123 gr scenars are killer in my rifle. Pricy but you have great brass for reloading. I can't reload better than those shoot. Bought some off the fire here several years ago and gosh did they shoot in my rifle. Let us know when you get time how she does.

Thanks for sharing pics of a classic!

Razorhog
Ed, thanks for posting those pictures. Nice set up, beautiful area.

You guys have a great Father’s Day.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Ed, thanks for posting those pictures. Nice set up, beautiful area.

You guys have a great Father’s Day.

DF
Lake Pend Oreille (Ponderay) is one gorgeous place to vacation, much less live in residence!
Very nice rifle you have their Ed. I hope you had a great Father's Day.
Posted By: johnw Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 07/18/23
Somehow I missed this thread.

Ed... Can I hang with you when you're hitting the gun shops?
Posted By: LOBO2 Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 08/01/23
I may have missed it, but what is the name of the book mentioned on page 4?
Posted By: EdM Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 08/02/23
Originally Posted by LOBO2
I may have missed it, but what is the name of the book mentioned on page 4?

Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks by Monty Kennedy.
Posted By: LOBO2 Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 08/04/23
Thank you kindly.
Posted By: Txtrout Re: Found a Neat One at My LGS - 08/06/23
Sorry I'm late on the string, but that is one darn fine looking rifle. As others have said, it checks the boxes! It moves into what I consider the perfect looking rifle.
© 24hourcampfire