Home
Posted By: captjohn Twist rate - 11/16/23
Opinions on twist rate 6.5 Rem. mag, 127 grain Barnes LRX, 24 inch barrel. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Twist rate - 11/16/23
Barnes "opinion" is you need 1:8 or faster (look at specs in link below)

https://www.barnesbullets.com/produ...p;attribute_pa_bullet-type=lrx-boat-tail
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Twist rate - 11/16/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
6.5x47 Lapua
127g LRX. .015 off
Varget , Lapua case.
3 shots at 300 yards.
Rocky Mountain Rifle Works, 1-8 twist.

dave
Posted By: beretzs Re: Twist rate - 11/16/23
The 127's have been hammers in every 8 twist gun I have tried them from. From a 6.5 CM to a 6.5-300 Wby.
Posted By: captjohn Re: Twist rate - 11/16/23
Currently i shoot them in my 260's and my other 6.5 Rem Mag. I have no clue the twist on the 6.5 Rem mag, it kinds seems like a 8 with the patch and rod test but i am not sure thats kinda why I asked the question to see if I am missing something, just working on the load for 260's range time in a few hours we will see how they like them they are 8 twist barrels. The 6.5 I have likes them a lot but I have acquired an action and stock and just throwing it out there before I send it off to have a new barrel attached.

My off the cuff review and results it is obvious that most of the factory offering in 6.5 Rem. Mag did not have enough barrel, heck of good caliber/round with 24" barrel.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Twist rate - 11/16/23
I'd be in 1:7 or 1:6.5 mode. Too many new projectiles on the market and who knows what's in the works that benefit from more RPM.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Twist rate - 11/16/23
The original Swedes had a 7.5 twist I believe and they handled the looong 160 gr bullets very well. 7.5 or 8 twist should be fine for anything a person would want to shoot in the 6.5 chamberings. I had a 9 twist I wasn’t crazy about but the 7.5s were easy to get shooting well.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Twist rate - 11/16/23
Originally Posted by captjohn
The 6.5 I have likes them a lot but I have acquired an action and stock and just throwing it out there before I send it off to have a new barrel attached.

Curious as to what action you’re outfitting the new 6.5 Rem Mag spout.
Posted By: captjohn Re: Twist rate - 11/18/23
The donor action is a Mauser 98, I am pretty much a Savage 99 or a Mauser guy, I have one 98 set up that way now but I can see some upgrades for this one, i found one with a mag bolt face and it looks like we might have the makings of something, once i get the barreling done and if everything works as planned I will do a safety job on it, searching now for a Choate Mauser stock, some hate but they really fit me nicely and the doner has ok wood which will be easily sold off to offset part of this deal. I know, just buy a new rifle LOL

iI stumbled into a lifetime supply of brass for my hunting purposes so I just figured a two gun stable was in order.
Posted By: Rapier Re: Twist rate - 11/18/23
Suggest you use an 1-8 twist, it will do 85s through 160s. own a few 6.5s and put 8 twist in all but one, that one has a 9, and that was a real mistake.
Posted By: micky Re: Twist rate - 11/18/23
With longer and speaker bullets being made, and with the action length, I’d consider a 7 twist. If Barnes comes up with a 145gr mono you will want a faster twist.
Posted By: captjohn Re: Twist rate - 11/19/23
Leaning towards the 8 twist, maybe i am middle of the road, it will be the 127 lrx bullet, i have a lifetime supply to go with brass, If I go up in weight into the 140's i mainly shoot my 6.8 western, i like the 120/127 in my 6.5's, just feels right and deer/pigs have significant issues with it.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Twist rate - 11/19/23
You’re probably spot-on. I’m just a total dork for 140s since they’ve work so well for me for so long.
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Twist rate - 11/20/23
Absolutely no reason not to go with a 1:7 or 1:6.5. You aren’t going to spin apart a Barnes LRX. You never know what the future brings. Costs nothing more for faster twist and “future proofs” your build for newer, longer projectiles that could be on the horizon.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Twist rate - 11/26/23
I'd SERIOUSLY rethink both the chambering and receiver,ESPECIALLY in conjunction. Hint.

You are pissing up EVERY fhuqking rope there is. Hint...............
© 24hourcampfire