Home
Posted By: SWGAShooter PO Ackley Reading Material - 03/31/24
Does anyone have any information or recommendations for PO Ackley books? I was wanting to read some on the development of the AI cartridges as well as some load development. There are several to choose from I see on EBay but don’t know which books would be the best option to start with. I am considering building a AI cartridge. Thanks.
Handbook for Reloaders, Vols I & II.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: PO Ackley Reading Material - 03/31/24
https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Shooters-Reloaders-Parker-Ackley/dp/1684226058
There's some very interesting stories.
No not use any of the reloading data listed.
dave
Thanks. I will check these out.
Posted By: mathman Re: PO Ackley Reading Material - 04/01/24
Like Dave, I suggest skipping the load data in the Ackley books.
Posted By: Rapier Re: PO Ackley Reading Material - 04/01/24
There are two hard bound books and the spiral ring reloading handbook.
There are many old issues of the American Rifleman published when P. O. Ackley was the reloading Editor, for about 20 years.

Suggest, that if you know what you are doing as a reloader there is not one reason to ignore the Ackley reloading data. With every reloading manual, including Ackley's, they always state that you always start low and work up, you never start at a max load, as every gun and every barrel is different.
Posted By: Alan_C Re: PO Ackley Reading Material - 04/01/24
I own Ackley’s volume 1&2. Good info. Good story’s also. He loaded on the hot side. Ackley was ahead of his time. It inspired me to build my own wildcat. Good luck !
I don't see many PO Ackley books, but FYI, if you go to archive.org - the 'Internet Archive" you can read a lot of old books and magazines that people have scanned in. You need to create a free account to check some of them out while you read them.
Thank y’all. I was learning towards starting with Volume 1.

I had not thought about the archive. I download and stream a lot of Grateful Dead and other music off the Live Archive. I’ll see if I can find anything on there tonight.
eBay?

Old loading data that was probably never pressure tested seems sketchy to me, but different people have different risk tolerances, mine being on the lower side of the curve.
Ackleys books are to be considered historical references and nothing more, load data is NOT to be used without cross referencing with modern data from applicable powder manufacturers

Most, if not all... powders listed in Ackleys expirements, have changed in their burning rates over the years

Always consult current load data from powder & bullet manufacturers
I can tell you for sure don't use the 30-284 data! Holy blow-up-your-gun- Batman!
Two of my gunsmithing school instructors were former P.O. Ackley employees, both told us not to use loading data published in the Ackley books.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: PO Ackley Reading Material - 04/02/24
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Two of my gunsmithing school instructors were former P.O. Ackley employees, both told us not to use loading data published in the Ackley books.
Anyone who would use reloading data from 62 years ago .should really consider taking up bowling....
Posted By: greydog Re: PO Ackley Reading Material - 04/02/24
I got Ackley's books for Christmas when I was 14, in 1963. I learned right away that the load data was largely fiction; as were some of his conclusions. Still, the books are fascinating reading and formed the basis for a lifetime of interest in rifles and cartridges. GD
I have the P.O. Ackley Handbook for Shooters and reloaders Volume 1&2 in paperback that I will sell. PM me if interested.
Originally Posted by gunswizard

Definitely, if you’re smart. It’s almost like he assumed brass was for one shot and throw it out. 😁 Also that setting bolt lugs back with hot loads ammo was just the cost of doing business.
https://ackleyimproved.com/chambering-for-ackley-cartridges/
I’ve got his Reloading Manuals #1 & 2. If you would like them, I’ll sell em to you at a fair price.
Thanks for the book offers, I wish I had seen them earlier. I bought the volume 1 book as a start.

I understand about the data. Interested in the cartridge development as such also.

Thanks also for the link. I’ll check it.
P.O. like to hire women to work in his shop, he could leave the shop and be sure they weren't working on personal projects like the male employees would often do. There was a bar called the "El Monterey" across the road from the old Ackley shop. Gunsmithing students liked to gather there after class, drank lotsa beer chased with shots of Old Crow there.
© 24hourcampfire