Home
Posted By: EMoore 280 AI barrel length? - 12/29/07
I have a Douglas #3 barrel ordered, chambered for 280 AI. I had the 'smith order it at 26", thinking if I didn't need it, I could always have him cut and recrown it at 24" or whatever length I wanted.

The question I have is will I see any advantage to having a 26" barrel over a 24" or 25" or XX? At what point does the length become counterproductive?

Thanks for your input!
Posted By: mudhen Re: 280 AI barrel length? - 12/29/07
In my experience, the difference between 22 inches and 26 inches averages out to about 25 to 30 fps per inch of barrel in cartridges based on the '06 case. This has held true for both factory and AI cartridges. The exception has been one .25-06 that I cut from 26 to 24 inches--the velocity loss in that one was a little over 100 fps with most loads in the 2 inch shorter barrel. FWIW, my .280 AIs have 23 and 24 inch barrels and both shoot within a few fps with the same loads...
Posted By: Huntr Re: 280 AI barrel length? - 12/29/07
My 280AI wears a 22 inch barrel, velocity loss over a 24 is nominal at best.
No doubt I'd go and stay with 23".

Now if it was a lefty action then I'd go with a 33" tube as I'd be for needing all the help I could get...gack gack gack

Dober
My .280AI wears a 23 inch #3 Shilen and its just about right. Very little loss in fps to the longer snouts.
Posted By: EMoore Re: 280 AI barrel length? - 12/29/07
Thanks for all the input, guys. I weigh enough, without carrying around an extra coupla inches of barrel if I don't need to! frown
Posted By: jwill350 Re: 280 AI barrel length? - 12/29/07
Mine's a 23" 2.5 Scheider and I like it.
That is a great tube!

Dober
Posted By: roper Re: 280 AI barrel length? - 12/30/07
I did the same thing with a Kreiger barrel for a 280AI finally settled on a 25" rifle balanced pretty good with that length. I'm lucky that I live pretty close to the gunsmith and he cut it at 26" called tried the rifle then had another 1" taken off. I don't consider 1" extra barrel lenght a problem as I'm more concerned with how the rifle come up to my shoulder. I was up gunmsith shop last week and my new 270WSM will either have a 25" or 24" barrel first cut will be at 25". When I get into the heavy contour barrels like #4 mag I'll normal have wind up with a 24" barrel #3 is pretty light weight. Well good luck
Posted By: Mull Re: 280 AI barrel length? - 12/30/07
Had a couple of 280AI. Like most 23" Seem to be the best of both worlds.
Posted By: Huntr Re: 280 AI barrel length? - 12/30/07
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
No doubt I'd go and stay with 23".

Now if it was a lefty action then I'd go with a 33" tube as I'd be for needing all the help I could get...gack gack gack

Dober

And, no doubt, a 90 degree bend in the barrel!! grin
got 3206 from a 24 3/4" #5. Rifle handled great. And not a burden to carry either.
Anything less than 24" just seems like waistin' its potential. But what do I know??
OCC-my tests with cals very close to it, show that per inch taken or added the fps change will be between 25-33 fps. So if one goes from 24 down to 22, we're talking a total max change potential of 66 fps and most likely less.

I don't know about others but I'll gladly give up some barrel life and not wotty one bit.

4 me choosing the length of a tube is more about what size hole is in it, what kind of a stock is it going in and what contour of a tube is being used.

I've found that kind of thinking to be a good way to go about business as opposed to worringing about a few fps.

But, that is just me and my ways and they sure don't need be adopted by others cause I could well be wrong.

Dober
3349 FPS OUT OF MY 26 IN KREIGER WITH 2 IN MUZZLE BREAK
Posted By: hrnhuntr Re: 280 AI barrel length? - 01/03/08
I like 23" myself, plenty of speed yet handy to manuver.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: 280 AI barrel length? - 01/03/08
Hopefully your shooting 120 grainers?
Posted By: EMoore Re: 280 AI barrel length? - 01/04/08
So, I just need to have it cut at 20", then have a pocket full of 1" extensions to screw on as needed? eek crazy
Posted By: krummarine Re: 280 AI barrel length? - 01/06/08
crittergetter: been trying to PM you; are you still watching this site?

Joe
© 24hourcampfire