Home
Posted By: VAnimrod Action weights? - 02/03/08
Someone posted up a detail of how much various actions weigh a while back.

Can't find it.

Could someone repost that?

Thanks (probably oughta be a sticky or something...)
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Action weights? - 02/03/08
Go to www.brownprecision.com and click on "Selecting Components".

til later
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Action weights? - 02/03/08
Got it.

Thanks!

Figure I'll post it up, jfsag....

The following weights of full actions (bolt, guard screws, trigger guard magazine liner, trigger assembly, recoil lugs, follower and spring) - everything except the barrel, stock, scope and mounts.
Remington 700 short ADL ............. 2 lbs. 3.5 oz
Remington 700 short BDL ............. 2 lbs. 4 oz
Remington 700 long ADL .............. 2 lbs. 6.5 oz
Remington 700 long BDL .............. 2 lbs. 7 oz
Remington 600 ....................... 1 lbs. 15 oz
Remington 788 long (.243, .308) ..... 2 lbs. 11 oz
Remington 7.......................... 2 lbs. 2 oz
Mauser Mark X ....................... 2 lbs. 15 oz
Sako medium (current production) .... 2 lbs. 5 oz
Sako long ........................... 2 lbs. 13 oz
Ruger short dovetail receiver ....... 2 lbs. 6 oz
Ruger long dovetail receiver ........ 2 lbs. 8.5 oz
Weatherby Model 70 post-64 .......... 2 lbs. 13 oz
Weatherby Mark V .................... 3 lbs. 3 oz.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Action weights? - 02/03/08
Kinda new at this,didn't how to post it and wifeys gone. Your welcome.

til later
So, if the Ti action is about 5 oz. lighter than it's CM/SS counterpart, that'd make the SA Ti about 1 lbs. 15 oz., and the LA ti about 2 lbs. 2 oz., at least in BDL form....

Figure that at least 2-3 oz. of that weight savings is from the fluting (BT/DT), the Ti receiver don't save much, it would appear.

Hmmmmmm..... a 600 action, fluted, would come in at about 28-29 oz., as would a 700 SA fluted with a lightweight shroud..... hmmmm.....
Posted By: thismortalcoil Re: Action weights? - 02/03/08
hat are you thinking about, curious minds want to know? LOL
Trying (for one thing) to figure how woofer got that rifle of his so damned light....
Posted By: thismortalcoil Re: Action weights? - 02/03/08
Trying to figure out what Woofer does is futile, LOL
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Action weights? - 02/03/08
This thread really makes the argument for the NULA rifles...
Posted By: tomk Re: Action weights? - 02/03/08
Here is a few more:

g33/40 and husky small rings about 40 oz and the Browning SR FN 98 at 38oz

In my note I've have the Rem TI long at 8oz lighter than its counterpart. 31oz vs. 39oz and the model 600 at 31oz, too.

for what my notes are worth...
Posted By: pointer Re: Action weights? - 02/03/08
I just wish I new which Ruger model Brown weighed for that little table...
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Action weights? - 02/03/08
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
So, if the Ti action is about 5 oz. lighter than it's CM/SS counterpart, that'd make the SA Ti about 1 lbs. 15 oz., and the LA ti about 2 lbs. 2 oz., at least in BDL form....

I have a complete Rem 700 Ti SA (bolt, 3 screws, trigger guard, mag box, screw for mag box, spring and follower, trigger assembly, recoil lug)

weighs in at 25oz complete
Posted By: tomk Re: Action weights? - 02/03/08
So a long TI would be about an ounce or so more, say, for that 1/2" more receiver wall??

Sound right?
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Action weights? - 02/04/08

Figure that at least 2-3 oz. of that weight savings is from the fluting (BT/DT), the Ti receiver don't save much, it would appear.

Hmmmmmm..... a 600 action, fluted, would come in at about 28-29 oz., as would a 700 SA fluted with a lightweight shroud..... hmmmm.....

VA,

How light are you trying to go in your mind?

Something about those advertised weights with ADL vs BDL...I'm thinking the hinged floorplate on a BDL makes a fair difference in the weight between the two.

I've weighed ADL and BDL's years ago, I'm sure their buried soemwhere in my notes.

I thought the fluted bolt was only good for an ounce at most?

Casey
Posted By: wyoguide Re: Action weights? - 02/04/08
Spiral flute on a LA only saved me .75 oz. heavy, deep flutes, just like factory Ti
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Action weights? - 02/04/08
Got this weight savings from Kampfeld Customs via a bolt flute on a LA 700, even after adding a hunter knob to the bolt:

Originally Posted by Kampfeld
I took a weight on it when I was done and it was 1.28 oz. lighter than when it came in.
Posted By: DMB Re: Action weights? - 02/04/08
Got it.

Thanks!

Figure I'll post it up, jfsag....

The following weights of full actions (bolt, guard screws, trigger guard magazine liner, trigger assembly, recoil lugs, follower and spring) - everything except the barrel, stock, scope and mounts.
Remington 700 short ADL ............. 2 lbs. 3.5 oz
Remington 700 short BDL ............. 2 lbs. 4 oz
Remington 700 long ADL .............. 2 lbs. 6.5 oz
Remington 700 long BDL .............. 2 lbs. 7 oz
Remington 600 ....................... 1 lbs. 15 oz
Remington 788 long (.243, .308) ..... 2 lbs. 11 oz
Remington 7.......................... 2 lbs. 2 oz
Mauser Mark X ....................... 2 lbs. 15 oz
Sako medium (current production) .... 2 lbs. 5 oz
Sako long ........................... 2 lbs. 13 oz
Ruger short dovetail receiver ....... 2 lbs. 6 oz
Ruger long dovetail receiver ........ 2 lbs. 8.5 oz
Weatherby Model 70 post-64 .......... 2 lbs. 13 oz
Weatherby Mark V .................... 3 lbs. 3 oz.

Thanks for posting the action weights. I've seen that list a half dozen times and never saved it. I will now!!! grin

Don

Edit to add. CAS posted before that the Remington 700 Ti actions weigh 4 ounces less than the standard Steel actions.
Posted By: LSU fan Re: Action weights? - 02/04/08
Interesting. Would have thought the Rugers would ahve been heavier than that.
Posted By: tomk Re: Action weights? - 02/05/08
Gents:

I think I remeber seeing it on the Remington site that the LA TI was an 8oz saving--but can't be sure--the past is a fog.

But that doesn't square with the other posts above.

Has anyone ever weighed a TI long action?

I can't see unscrewing a barrel to find out smile
Posted By: Partagas Re: Action weights? - 02/05/08
I have wondered what the vanguard actions weigh. They even have a lightened action that I wonder how much it really is lightened.
Posted By: DMB Re: Action weights? - 02/05/08
Originally Posted by tomk
Gents:

I think I remeber seeing it on the Remington site that the LA TI was an 8oz saving--but can't be sure--the past is a fog.

But that doesn't square with the other posts above.

Has anyone ever weighed a TI long action?

I can't see unscrewing a barrel to find out smile

Tom,

I saw that too, but when I asked the question here on 24HourCampfire, CAS said that he weighed them and found the Ti's weighed 4 oz less. I believe CAS... Somehow I got the idea that the weight Remington claimed included MORE than just the action.

Don
Posted By: tomk Re: Action weights? - 02/06/08
Hey DMB--good day for hanging close to the wood stove...

I think I caught that post, too....not disbelieving CAS, it just that we have quite a range here--maybe missing something in the comparison.

Fosteology coming in at 25oz is quite a spread.

Posted By: woofer Re: Action weights? - 02/06/08
smile

woofer
off the postal scale....

1#15oz remmy short CM. bolt complete. with lug, trigger and follower/spring.

3.2oz adl t/g (alloy) screws and box

3.8oz bdl t/g with screw and saum box (i didn't have a reg bdl box and remember that the saum boxes have the entire sides cut out)

my spare long was shipped last week and i ain't breakin' the 7 down smile

the contour on the 7 barrel is sick. and dont forget the callahan f/p ass.... the stock has not been bedded and wears no paint. i am really wanting to slab the action sides to see how far i can go. i am milling the bolt for more weight loss for sure. doubt i will flute it though...

i know the 7's aren't even close in popularity to the 700s but they should be. if weight is a concern a youth model wearing a bansner would be very close to 5# if not under. now that is a 20" tube but big deal.. if a 22" is perfect for a 06' case in a mountain rig the 20 will do absolutely ok in an 08' dress....

FWIW

woofer
if you get a chance to put them (7 vs 700) side by side it is 1/2 of metal in the action. not the tang either.. the full circumference. i dont know what that sliver weighs but my guess is a good bit when splitting hairs......

woofer
Posted By: tomk Re: Action weights? - 02/07/08
To add to the confusion, here is a quote I had pasted in my notes when I was pondering TIs at some point in time--but I sure don't know who wrote it--am sure it wasn't my wife.

"IIRC.......The Ti action that I used for my 284 started at about 28 oz in ADL form. With tubbs pin, alloy guard, alloy shroud and Wyatt's box, it came in around 24 or so. After some machine work it ended at about 20 oz. By comparison, the 600 that I used for my 6.5x284 ended at about 20 oz. as well. (There was much more agressive machine work done on that one"

Sound familiar??

Woofer: FWIW, also had this "steel weighs .29# per cubic inch" ...which be about a shade under 5oz. So a wild ass guess would be a 1/2" longer CM action would be 2-3oz?
Posted By: pointer Re: Action weights? - 02/08/08
"IIRC.......The Ti action that I used for my 284 started at about 28 oz in ADL form. With tubbs pin, alloy guard, alloy shroud and Wyatt's box, it came in around 24 or so. After some machine work it ended at about 20 oz. By comparison, the 600 that I used for my 6.5x284 ended at about 20 oz. as well. (There was much more agressive machine work done on that one"
That may very well have came from JimF who, unfortunately, doesn't post here much anymore...
Posted By: woofer Re: Action weights? - 02/08/08
was jimf. he was poppin' very cool stuff. IIRC that 6.5 was around 5.5# scoped smile he fluted the #1 or #2 tube.. sick stuff... he was my hero smile

those 7's are a really cheap way to get the weight off for free... if i get the chance i would like to weigh one with simple mods done and the alloy parts swapped... dont forget also my 7 was weighed with a alloy 700 t/g.. there is a difference there also....

enjoy

woofer
Posted By: tomk Re: Action weights? - 02/17/08
should have said this earlier--

if you use steel bottom metal with the FN Browning small rings or the Husky, you would be adding another 3oz or so to the total weight depending on how much contouring was done.

so the lightest Mauser 98s would be the VZ33/G33 as they have some milling to lighten the actions.

Some of the fancy aftermarket steel bottom metal for 98s will weigh more than the original stuff.
Posted By: J. Calhoun Re: Action weights? - 02/22/08
My VZ.24 weighed 2lb, 12&7/8 oz., my yugo m.24/45 weighed 2 lb, 11&3/4 oz, complete actions, military bottom metal, shrouds and triggers.
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Action weights? - 02/25/08
My STA Barbara weighs 2 lb, 13.2 oz. Complete w/ trig,bottom metal and filler screws in the base holes.
I sold my 700 SA, that I had set aside for a light build, for a Mexican Mauser. Working on an Encore light build now. The Encore weighs 1 lb, 8 oz. and 5lb 4.6 oz with barrel and base/rings. If somebody knows of a manufacture of lightweight stocks for a Encore I'm all ears!!
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Action weights? - 03/29/08
bump....
Posted By: woofer Re: Action weights? - 03/30/08
bump for what? smile want that pile of parts in 7saum? just picked up 400 pcs of virgin brass for it..........

wink evil bastad

woofer
Posted By: ULA24 Re: Action weights? - 03/30/08
So, a Rem 600 with a fluted bolt would beat the Ti in being light?
Posted By: woofer Re: Action weights? - 03/30/08
doubt it. the 600 above was slab sided and cut and twisted and skinned smile however, if you can live with a few extra ounces it would a be a great starting point.... your sling would probably have more to do with overall weight....

the 7's and 600's are lighter starting for sure. the 700's were a great platform cause the takeoff stuff in the ti fodder was a cheap way to get light. now that the prices have all gone up it is really a toss up... a 7/600 in a bansner with a skinny tube is a really light rig.. if you want barrel weight just toss on a standard sporter take-off (most can be had for peanuts or free). your still in under 6# i would bet...

or, just buy a tikka and go shoot smile

woofer
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Action weights? - 03/30/08
woofer;

What SAUM pile of parts?
Posted By: woofer Re: Action weights? - 03/31/08
that 7saum i have been looking as in a pile on my bench. you made mention that you were trying to figure out how ended up at the 5# mark....

just thought i would throw that out for fun.....

woofer
Posted By: bludog Re: Action weights? - 03/31/08
It looks like the list at the top of this thread (and on the Bansner website) has a typo for the "Weatherby" M-70 post 64. Pretty sure they're meaning Winchester. Does anyone know what a Win Model 70 Short Action weighs with bottom metal? Thanks.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Action weights? - 04/01/08
45 ozs. E
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Action weights? - 04/01/08
Heavy little bastids, ain't they.....
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Action weights? - 04/01/08
A couple of things. While the weights on the chart appear pretty accurate, it will depend on which one. The Rugers, for instance, have different weights because of their materials used in their FP & TG. So do the Winchesters. The SS FP & TG for my SA M70 classic weighs 7 ozs. alone.
Another is that you can lighten an action by additional milling, etc. My local rifle maker tells me he can get a basic Mauser lighter than a Ruger Mk.II. He did get my Ruger tang safety model lighter than either.
You should see and fondle some of JimF's rifles. I got to shoot some of them. His 6 lb. .338-08 (before it became legal as the .338 Federal) was really well balanced. Not bad in the recoil department either. The trick is to make sure the rifle isn't muzzle light. The biggest flaw you can have in a light rifle. If done right, they are a real pleasure to carry and shoot. E
Posted By: Savuti Re: Action weights? - 04/03/08
Just put a MRC from the initial run (in '03?) short action, Stainless, mag bolt face came in at 2.84 lbs. That's 2 lb 13 1/2 oz.

SOS
Posted By: MrFurious Re: Action weights? - 04/05/08
Here's a few more for the list

Savage SA (blind mag) - 36.0 oz
Savage SA (single-shot) - 38.0 oz
Savage SA (single-shot; small port) - 42.0 oz
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Action weights? - 04/05/08
GREAT!! THANKS alot Jim!

til later
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Action weights? - 04/30/08
Anyone know how much the mini Mauser actions (799, Charles Daly, Interarms, CZ527) weigh?
Posted By: woofer Re: Action weights? - 04/30/08
yuk, yuk yuk. it never ends......

woofer
how about a 16" barreled 458 socom on a mini mauser?!

woofer
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Action weights? - 04/30/08
Originally Posted by woofer
how about a 16" barreled 458 socom on a mini mauser?!

woofer

THUMP!
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Action weights? - 04/30/08
VA,www.bpgunsmith.com/daly.pdf has it at 31.8oz.

til later
well dang, only an ounce or 2 savings from a standard short 700. model 7 or a 600 would have you in same w/out the box constraints or stock headaches.. but if crf is your bag the game is certainly smaller....

woofer
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Action weights? - 04/30/08
I may be wrong but I thought I read at one time that the mini-mauser,like the M77 Ruger,is not a CRF. Anyone know for sure?

til later
i just assumed....

woofer
Posted By: Tod Re: Action weights? - 04/30/08
The Charles Daly Mini is not CRF. Have to go CZ for that option.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Action weights? - 05/03/08
Originally Posted by EZEARL
VA,www.bpgunsmith.com/daly.pdf has it at 31.8oz.

til later

31.8 oz, with steel bottom metal.....

Hmmmm.....

ADL style, aluminum trigger guard, aluminum bolt knob (hollowed), a little millwork to the sides to off the ugly azz engraving; I'm guess that should drop it to about 24ish oz. 1.5 lbs... nice. At 18 oz. for a Bansner.... maybe another 6 oz. for bases and rings.... 3 lbs, minus tube. Helluva starting point.
Posted By: gahuntertom Re: Action weights? - 05/03/08
Originally Posted by pointer
I just wish I new which Ruger model Brown weighed for that little table...

Brown's list is very old, The Ruger weights are the top of tang & the SAKO are for A's & L's.
Posted By: pointer Re: Action weights? - 05/03/08
Thanks!

Has anyone slapped a MKII action on a scale? I do know that my MKII 338 WinMag barreld action weighs 5.75#. I'd be real interested in what a MKII or Hawkeye barreled action in a standard long action caliber weighs...!
Posted By: woofer Re: Action weights? - 05/04/08
VA, just do it and let me know... save me mucho work smile

woofer
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Action weights? - 05/04/08
Pointer, my M77 MKII .257 Roberts barreled action with bottom mettle weighs 5.265 lbs., 5 lbs, 4.24 oz. The .257 is built on a long action. I've been meaning to take an old take-off barrel to work to get an accurate weight so I can find the actual action weight. Sure wish I could take about 3/4 lbs off that .257, 8.765 lbs. all up for such a small caliber seems heavy.
Posted By: pointer Re: Action weights? - 05/04/08
Thanks for the info! Seems like my .338 with the heavier barrel is only 0.5#s heavier... Makes some future choices of mine a bit easer! laugh
Posted By: woofer Re: Action weights? - 05/04/08
also, in the barrel dept....

weighed a pair of ss mountain tubes.. 08 and 06'. the 08 a 20" and the 06" the 22"

22" weighed 1# 14.8 oz the 20" weighed 1# 14.0 oz....

FWIW

WOOFER
Posted By: olhippie Re: Action weights? - 05/05/08
...I never knew the weight of the Rem. 600 action, but knew it was a light one since my Brown precision "High Country" built on a 600 action back in 1978 by Chet Brown weighs in at 5.5 lbs with a Shilen 20" SS barrel, and Chet's kevlar stock. After all these years it is still my favorite hunting rig!Just imagine if Les Webernick (sp?)got his mill-work done on that sexy little model 600 action!Ive got another model 600 Rem in 6mm Rem with a lovely trimmed down walnut stock that would cobble up into a delightful 358 Winchester chambered hunting rig for timber cruising. I ought to get busy on it!
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Action weights? - 05/06/08
Pointer and interested others, weighed a couple of barrels today. Take off sporter barrels from Rem and Ruger. The Rem. .270 barrel from about 1972 went 2.485 lbs and the M77 .257 barrel went 2.495. Cosidering the long shank on the Ruger, I thought it would be heavier. The Rem tapers faster from the action, but carries more dia. to the muzzle than the Ruger. Since I weighed the M77 barreled action the other day at 5.265 lbs, that leaves 2.77 lbs or 44.32 oz. for the action. That would include mag box, bottom metal and screws. If the M700 BDL weighs 39oz. per the chart on page 1, then the Ruger is 5 oz heavier,not as much as I'd thought. Suppose I need to drill out that buttstock and trim some off the forearm to get the weight down.
Posted By: pointer Re: Action weights? - 05/07/08
Thanks a ton (pun intended wink ) for the information. I have this pipedream of building a 270 Win on a MKII action to match my 338 Win and having it come in at 7.5# or less. With the numbers you posted I may just get there... I've found two sources (MPI and Brown) that make stocks for the MKII that could come in as light at 22-26oz. Coupling that with your info a factory barreled action in a 26oz stock and a Leupold 6X36 would come in at close 7.75#. Using a barrel calculator I got from someone on this website an aftermarket barrel in a Win FWT contour should come in at roughly 6oz lighter. AND if the stock comes in a shade lighter I'd be there easily! Now, the only question is how the thing would balance...? If it'd be to butt heavy I guess I could get a hold of the 'smith that E has used to lighten the action. Or just use a different, but very similar action...

Thanks for taking the time to share that information.
Posted By: tomk Re: Action weights? - 05/07/08
Hey Pointer:

Have a 22" Win FW takeoff barrel in 280 that weights 2.06#.

My MPI stock on an FN action weighs 27oz (1.67#)--Classic style
The Douglas 24" 338 bored barrel goes 2.46# with a muzzle OD of .630
FN action with steel bottom metal weighs 2.75#
Total 6.88#

Have a Kelvar mix whatever, MPI stock in the Classic that weighs 19oz all up, on an M-70.
Posted By: pointer Re: Action weights? - 05/07/08
Thanks a bunch for the info! I think I could definitely come in at my desired weight, or at least close enough not too matter. Now, I just need to start gathering the pieces!
© 24hourcampfire