Home
Posted By: BWalker 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/20/08
Anyone have one and what kind of velocity did you get?
Not enough barrel to gain any speed over the 300 Win, or Weatherby in that barrel lenght.
Mine is 26 and I wish it was longer. the muzzle blast out of a 24" would probably be pretty tough! shocked

LC
Posted By: BWalker Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/20/08
Anyone?
Posted By: safariman Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/20/08
I have a 300 RUM with a 26 inch tube. If I was building custom I would go 28. Muzzle blast is bad already. Want no part of one with a 24 inch tube. Already not gaining that much over a 300 WBY. Been thinking about re-barelling to 300WBY to save my ears.
I am not asking whether its prudent, rather if someone has done it......
Posted By: safariman Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/20/08
I saw a guy with one at the range last week. I asked him how he liked it and his reply was "HUH?" "WHAT" ? smile
To each his owne, were trying to stop you from building a gun your not going to like. Subtract about 100 feet from Vol. printed on a 26 barrel, raise the noise level so muffs and plugs are required and in the middle of the day you are blinded by the flame ball of powder still burning as it leaves the barrel and enjoy. The guy that builds this gun is about the money not the product. I would not put that gun together no matter how much money you offerd me.
Oh brother....
Noise inst a issue for me. Besides, the difference between a win mag, wby mag, and ultra going off is moot IME and I have shot them all. As for blinding fire balls and the like, no more so than a 300 wby with a brake of which there are thousands out there, so I again I am not exactly worried about being blinded...
Now has does any one have a 300 ultra with a 24" barrel?
Posted By: superdave Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/20/08
Sorry, no, but I want one and will be watching this thread. I have a 26" LSS that I love but would make a smaller, lighter one if I were to come into another stainless version of a 300 RUM. I understand the lower velocity would take you back down to levels of smaller cartridges. And a lighter, shorter rifle would definitely not be for plinking! But I just don't have the time for dealing with load development and reloading a whole battery of rifles. Probably heresy in this forum, I know.
SD
Posted By: Tom264 Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/20/08
Originally Posted by BWalker
Oh brother....
Noise inst a issue for me. As for blinding fire balls I am not exactly worried about being blinded...
Now has does any one have a 300 ultra with a 24" barrel?

Why stop at 24" when you can do 16 1/4"? crazy
I understand the lower velocity would take you back down to levels of smaller cartridges.

I am thinking you could get 300 Weatherby velocity out of a ultra with a 24" barrel, which isnt a bad place to be.
I understand the lower velocity would take you back down to levels of smaller cartridges.

If you dont have anything of value to ad, shut your trap..... Is this concept to hard for you to understand?
Hope yer not talking to me.
Posted By: SU35 Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/20/08
Tom,

Why would anyone want a 300 Ultra in a 24" barrel?

SU, I aint got the foggiest idea.
Posted By: jetjockey Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/21/08
+1 on the 24inch 300RUM. Why? Rum was built for 26+ inch barrels.. If you want a 24inch barrel.. Buy a 300WM..
Posted By: superdave Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/21/08
Dang dude, got a wrinkle in your Kotex or what? Are the wildcatters here all this cheery? If that scroll wheel is too hard to use then a public forum probably isn't the best place to ask questions.

I'm with you on this one. Somewhere in the archives of this or one of the forums there's a post about some research that was done on velocity vs. barrel length with a bigger .30, I think a WM. I'm curious for any actual experience with a 300RUM too, maybe it's just not out there...yet.

Does it make optimal ballistic sense? No. Does it make sense not to have to deal with reloading another cartridge while still having a lighter .30 cal rifle? For me and possibly some others, yes. I know one guy who has his family of 5 all outfitted with .270's of various models and lengths. Reloading for the whole battery is pretty easy. That's kind of where I'm headed.

Some of us who read more than post just use our posts as sort of a bookmark since the whole 'favorite thread' option went away. 'Watch list' just isn't the same.

Last post on this one. I'm obviously out of my league down here with the angry experts.

SD
Posted By: BWalker Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/21/08
When someone asks a question is it to much to ask that we stay on topic? I didnt ask for anyones opinion, I simply asked whether anyone has done it.
Sorry to be crabby, but for god sakes I didnt ask for or want anyones oppinion on muzzle blast, prudence, etc.
Simply thought that someone has BTDT and wanted to see what their results where.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/21/08
I think any results would be pretty obvious......dont you? or are you fishing?
Because your question was pretty stupid....you knew what kind of responses you'd get, so deal with it.
And quit being a crab nobody likes a crabby person.
Once again it would not be prudent to use a 24" barrel when the cartridge was designed for the 26" barrel, but hey if you like handicapping yourself go right on ahead.
If anybody has done it I'm quite sure they probably rebarrelled it back to a 26" barrel, where it belongs.
Some things are so obvious.......
Tom, please refrain from posting in this thread... You cant answer my question, so please dont bother to clog the thread up with your speculating, which I havent asked for, nor wanted.
Thank you.
Posted By: highridge1 Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/21/08
I think the question was pretty simple,What would the performance be? Not how much do you lose,or how bad is the muzzle blast.No reason to bash the guy.I think you could probably run 180's at 3250 fps with a 24 inch barrel.The 300 win mag won't do that and I don't think the 300 weatherby would either in a 24.So to some degree it would be interesting because you don't need the 26 inch barrel and could have big performance in a handier package..I am not going to put a 24 inch tube on my 300 ultra's but sounds interesting..
Posted By: highridge1 Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/21/08
The 8mm rem mag was barreled with 24 inch barrels in factory 700's and is able to put out very impressive numbers.The 340 weatherby can blast 225's at 3100 fps in a 24. 24 inch barrels aren't worthless...
Highridge, my thoughts are along the same lines.
I know there is someone out there who has done this.
Posted By: J. Calhoun Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/23/08
I may hate myself for wading in here, but here goes...

My Dad aquired a rem 700, 300 win mag with a shot out throat and some ports cut in the end of the, I believe, 24" barrel. To save the rifle, he had the chamber cut to 300rum. After finally getting it to feed and eject (we're a little slow on the learning curve), and shooting it some, it seems fine to me, though no chrony info.

Shooting that rifle convinced me the 375 rum wouldn't be that bad recoil wise...seems close to my 300wm for kick (I toldja we're a little slow on the uptake, didn't I?). It's been a coupla years since I fired it, but I don't recall any fireballs, nor did we set off any car alarms or seismic events. I always shoot with double protection at the range anyway.

A cheap way to try it might be getting a 300wm takeoff and rechamber it (feeding issues aside). Or you could just cut off a factory rifle, and then retube with a quality barrel when yer done testing. Wadda ya got to loose? If you don't like it, yank it and build a 300 rsm...

John
Posted By: 338Rem Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/23/08
I think SU 35 has a stainless takeoff in the classifieds. Steve
Posted By: BWalker Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/23/08
Jcalhoun, Thnaks for the info. Did you happen to chronograph the gun?
A ounce of expiereance trumps lbs of BS and specualtion......
Posted By: Steven_CO Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/23/08
Jcalhoun, Thnaks for the info. Did you happen to chronograph the gun?
A ounce of expiereance trumps lbs of BS and specualtion......

There are a lot of Loads on this page that are 24" barrel

A little research can help too.
Posted By: BWalker Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/23/08
Thanks for the link. looks like one guy surpased 3300 using 8700. I wonder what his case life was like? I am also supprised they didnt show anyone using Retumbo.
Does it make optimal ballistic sense? No. Does it make sense not to have to deal with reloading another cartridge while still having a lighter .30 cal rifle?

It sounds like you are planning on using the same load in multiple rifles.That might work out,then again the different rifles may have different preferences in loads that they shoot accurately.And I wouldn't mix the fired brass from the two rifles either as this can cause issues.
Posted By: Steven_CO Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/23/08
Thanks for the link. looks like one guy surpased 3300 using 8700. I wonder what his case life was like? I am also supprised they didnt show anyone using Retumbo.

I'm sure you know this, but I don't trust any of the data at face value from this or any other site, unless I can cross reference with manuals or my data. Even then, work up loads carefully....yada yada yada.

I don't know why no one has recorded a load with Retumbo yet. It could be that is just a little new for the guys that post loads and they haven't gotten there yet.

I use it my 300 RUM and 180 gn bullets. Works great.
Posted By: BWalker Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/24/08
Yea, it wouldn't surprise me if the guy who posted that load actually had a 26" barrel in the first place as I dont think a factory rifle has ever been offered with a 24" tube and I dont think there are many custom barreled guns out there with 24" tubes.
Posted By: Steven_CO Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/24/08
If it means anything, I ran a 24" vs 26" in QL for a comparison. The difference with Retumbo on a 180 gn bullet was about 60 fps. That seems to agree reasonabley with tests run by Dan Lilja where they cutoff a barrel from extremely long down to 18". In the 24" to 26" range was about 20 to 25 fps per inch for a 338-378. So, not much is gained swinging an extra 2" of barrel, which is why you hear comments, "wish I had a 28."

338-378 Barrel Test
Posted By: BWalker Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 02/24/08
A 28" barrel would come in very handy if one needed to use a rifle for pole vaulting. I am not into pole vaulting.....
Thanks for the info AI.
Posted By: BWalker Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 01/05/09
Well, I did have the gun built with a 24" tube and am happy I did. With my hand loads which are conservative I am getting almost 3330fps via a 35P, with retumbo and 180 ab's.
With factory ammo its just about at the advertised velocities.
Noise, fire balls and the like was utter non sense. Behaves like any ultra mag.
Posted By: Brad Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 01/05/09
Were I doing a 300 RUM I'd absolutely build it around a 24" bbl.

What the hecks wrong with you, Brad? Dont you know that using a 2" shorter barrel will transform an ultra mag into a fire belching, deafening, 30-06...
Posted By: Brad Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 01/05/09
So I've read grin
Doing trumps speculating....
Posted By: TC1 Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 01/06/09
Ka-Boom!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin wink

I'd shoot it.

Terry
Where's the pics?
Posted By: BWalker Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 01/09/09
Right now its sitting in a factory plastic stock so its nothing to look at. The gun is being shipped out to James Anderson next week for a pre war style tang job, and a oberndorf style bolt handle. I have always hated the Winny factory bolt handle as it looks like hell.
When thats done its going to CAS to be installed in a Echols legend I ordered form Charley.
Posted By: TC1 Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 01/10/09
Sounds like a winner.

Terry
B-first off I've not done it, but if I had a 300 RUM around in 26" I'd abreviate it to 24" in a heartbeat and not sweat it one bit!

As for speed loss, I am guessing on average in the ballpark of 25-30 per inch so we're talking a total loss of 50-60 fps. I've seen different casings and different lots of powder do this or more, especailly the powder. IME it isn't tough to find a powder that will vary 100 fps from lot to lot so with this in mind losing 50-60 fps isn't gonna trash my plan.

Will it pick up a bit of blast, I spose but I like you would not worry about that one bit.

Sorry I can't say for sure but I am pretty darn sure that you won't loose much and when you comp a 24" RUM to 24" Win there's gonna be the same speed diffs as between a 26" and a 26".

Wish I could help you more bud, but I'd say get after it!

It wouldn't bother me a bit to stick a 24" Scheider in 300 RUM on my old 700 at all.

Good luck to ya pard

Dober
grinI just noticed that you've already done it, glad I concurred with your idea...grins

Yeah 3300 with a 180, just like a 300 Win with a 24" right....grins

Dober
What's a oberndorf style bolt handle? I can't recall ever seeing one before, but sounds interesting.
Posted By: BWalker Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 01/10/09
Bearstalker. Its a bolt handle similar to the ones put on Oberndorf sporter mausers. Its sort of has a pear shaped nob and sticks straight out from the bolt instead of the swept back winchester style.
The one I am having is form Half Moon rifle shop out of MT. They are one of the only ones to make a stainless bolt handle of this style.
Dober, I figure I am losing about 50-75FPS with he shorter barrel. I am not losing any sleep over it........
Of course the barrel is a 5R type barrel which is suppose to be a little faster.
Posted By: TC1 Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 01/10/09
Originally Posted by bearstalker
What's a oberndorf style bolt handle? I can't recall ever seeing one before, but sounds interesting.

[Linked Image]
TC1 I really like the handle on the right. Who made that one?
Posted By: BWalker Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 04/06/09
tc1?
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 04/09/09
I had a guy wanting to sell me a matte SPS in 300 ultra. I wanted to take one of my 30-06 or 300win SS fluted Alaskan Ti take offs and have it rechambered to 300 ultra and installed.

The smith said are you sure you want to bother rechambering on of those 24" barrels to an ultramag? I said why not, if ruger can make a compact in 300 wsm why not a 24" ultramag. I get 3400 fps with my 26" ultramag and 180 AB's so I figured I should get 3300 with the 24" barrel.

I still might do it if I come across a deal on an ultramag action but the guy backed out on selling me the sps.

Bb
Posted By: BWalker Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 04/09/09
I wouldn't hesitate to do another 24" barreled 300 ultra.
Wouldn't bother me in the least bit. I hate 26" barrels.
Posted By: 340boy Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 04/09/09
What is the muzzle blast like on a 24" 300RUM?
I know that on my 26" Ultra the muzzle blast is pretty noticeable.
When you burn that much powder, "loud" is gonna be there no matter what your reasonable barrel length is. My 24" .375 Ultra is loud, but usually the snot slinging from the recoil distracts me. I am currently building a .338 Ultra, and it is on a 24" barrel also. I don't shoot any rifle without ear protection, except when I am hunting and then I don't notice it.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 04/09/09

Yeah , I went with the 24" tube on a Remington Ultra.
Mine is a 338 Rum.
This thing shoots great. Has great point-ability. Easy to use in the woods.
Pull the trigger and things lay down. <g>

Here it is..
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BWalker Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 04/10/09
What is the muzzle blast like on a 24" 300RUM?
I know that on my 26" Ultra the muzzle blast is pretty noticeable

If there is a differance in blast between a 24 and 26" barreled 300 ultra I cant notice it.
A 300 ultra aint no pop gun and when you torch off 90+ grains of powder some noise is going to be generated. Same goes for the 300 win and wtby mag.
Posted By: TC1 Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 04/10/09
TC1 I really like the handle on the right. Who made that one?

I'm sorry, I missed that post.

It's made by Half Moon Rifle Shop.

Contact info:
Half Moon Rifle Shop
490 Halfmoon Road
Columbia Falls, MT 59912
406-892-4409

Terry
Posted By: BWalker Re: 24" barreled 300 ultra? - 04/10/09
Thank you.
© 24hourcampfire