Home
Considering using a Howa (or for that matter, a Wby Vanguard)action for a custom/semi-custom build. Is this even worth considering? What say the fire? If you have done this, let's see some pics and the specifics.
I think that the Howa is one of the best actions out there for a nice custom.

Steelhead will probably chime in on this one. He has some beautiful examples.
I've done a 223AI's and two 250AI's on the Howa action. My pard (Paul) has a done a 264, 7mm08, 308, and is doing a 22/250AI on Howa actions.

I also run a few Vanguards in McMillan stocks with Timney triggers, otherwise they are stock factory.

I like the Howa/Vanguard much. They are feeding SOBs, I can cycle empty cases through the action. The trigger does have to be replaced, and of course you can use any 2pc scope mount designed for the Remington 700. Although the bottom metal ain't steel they are hell for stout. The bolt is also a snap to pull apart.

They won't make a lightweight rifle, but 7 1/2 pounds with scope is no problem.

250AI with a #2 Douglas

[Linked Image]

250AI with a #1 Pac-Nor top, 223AI with a #2 Pac-Nor bottom

[Linked Image]

Vanguard barreled actions, 257 Roy and 300 Roy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here are the differences between the lightweight action an standard (might save about 2 ounces)

[Linked Image]
Lwt has a hollowed out bolt knob also
[Linked Image]

Pretty much shooting yourself in the foot with respect to resale if that is a consideration.
I'm hoping you ain't the brightest example from your home town....
I love my 300wsm in a bansher stock i bought here in the classifieds.
I Love It!!
started out as a vangaurd.

JD
I really like the 06 vanguard I bought for my wife. Im kinda kicking my self for selling it. all I had to do is restock it to fit me.
[Linked Image]

7-08

[Linked Image]

264WM

[Linked Image]

and a couple that are stock..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Steelhead, firstly have to say you have some fine looking rifles. I am seriously thinking of buying a stainless vanguard (with the nasty injection moulded stock) as you can get good deals on them here in New Zealand - .223 and then maybe AI it at a later stage.

I like the look of the two in the second photo "250AI with a #1 Pac-Nor top, 223AI with a #2 Pac-Nor bottom" - what McMillan stock shape is that (they look to be the same)?

Any recommendations for other McMillan's with the Vanguard/Howa?

Thanks, Gee.

Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've done a 223AI's and two 250AI's on the Howa action. My pard (Paul) has a done a 264, 7mm08, 308, and is doing a 22/250AI on Howa actions.

I also run a few Vanguards in McMillan stocks with Timney triggers, otherwise they are stock factory.

I like the Howa/Vanguard much. They are feeding SOBs, I can cycle empty cases through the action. The trigger does have to be replaced, and of course you can use any 2pc scope mount designed for the Remington 700. Although the bottom metal ain't steel they are hell for stout. The bolt is also a snap to pull apart.

They won't make a lightweight rifle, but 7 1/2 pounds with scope is no problem.

250AI with a #2 Douglas

[Linked Image]

250AI with a #1 Pac-Nor top, 223AI with a #2 Pac-Nor bottom

[Linked Image]

Vanguard barreled actions, 257 Roy and 300 Roy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here are the differences between the lightweight action an standard (might save about 2 ounces)

[Linked Image]
Lwt has a hollowed out bolt knob also
[Linked Image]

I dig that grape rifle.

Expat
I've shot some of the Howa/Vanguard rifles but never owned one. The trigger always got me, but the Timney could solve that. How is the magazine situation with the longer OAL 223AI? Do you need to do any spacer modifications like with a Remington?

Thanks,

JP
Have only shot one, but have handled several. IMHO, the fit, finish and machining quality is much better on the Howa than on Remington 700s. The only down side I see is not as many options for different stock patterns.

John
All my Howa/Vanguards are in Sako Classic McMillans.

The 223 box fits standard length (2.270'is) length but the block in the back end is a removeable stamped piece of metal. Remove that and then you have to take a bit off the bolt stop and you can run the full length of the mag.
I'm considering buying a barreled Howa action as a start towards a semi-custom wink rifle. What do you all think about stainless versus blued if you're going to apply a weather-resistant coating anyhow? Is there any real advantage to stainless in that situation?

I can save about 17% if I don't do stainless...
The 223AI above is a stainless action/barrel with Cerakote on it, just because.

I could run blued action (hell I do) but stainless barrels are the only way to fly.
OK, I hear ya...but is there any actual reason besides looks? smile

That is a NICE set of rifles!
Originally Posted by JDinTexas
I love my 300wsm in a bansher stock i bought here in the classifieds.
I Love It!!
started out as a vangaurd.

JD

I've only owned one and it fed rounds very smoothly and fast (in 300WSM too). The Howa/Vanguards are very good actions, probably the best action for the short mag family (and not just the short mags either).

MtnHtr
While Howa made the Vanguard at one time I believe that Weatherby has their rifles made in the U.S. now. I recently took a Vanguard in on trade for some work and it was not as sleek and light as the Howa. If I were to build one for my own use I'd use a Howa over the newer Vanguards. A Vanguard that's 5+ years old is probably made by Howa. They are great actions, indeed!
Some exact footprint and still made in Japan. Bolt is the only difference.
I knew the one I had looked different but didn't have a Howa in hand for comparison. It must the be Mark V that Weatherby decided to have made somewhere in the northeast unless they abandoned their plans. The stock on the Vanguard I had was pretty heavy, too.
Paul, didn't take you long to put the .308 together. The flutes look neat.
IIRC, during the mid-1990s Weatherby had their Mark V actions made in Saco, ME, by Saco Defense, the same outfit that made the Colt Light Rifles and, long ago, made M-60 machine guns for the U.S. Military. I don't think that Saco Defense still makes the Weatherby actions, but I don't know where they are made, so I could be wrong.

Jeff
Mickey,
It turned out great! and shoots even better! Thanks again for the work!
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
IIRC, during the mid-1990s Weatherby had their Mark V actions made in Saco, ME, by Saco Defense, the same outfit that made the Colt Light Rifles and, long ago, made M-60 machine guns for the U.S. Military. I don't think that Saco Defense still makes the Weatherby actions, but I don't know where they are made, so I could be wrong.

Jeff

Jeff, I knew they got somebody in the U.S. to build their rifles at some time back but didn't realize that it was so far back. Time does get away from me. I've not read any of the gun rags in many years so don't keep up with the goings on with different manufacturers. I have no idea who builds their stuff now. If it's Howa, though, it's good.
How much is a Howa action going for. Might be a platform for an inexpensive build for a loaner.
Although I haven't studied the economics of using a Howa 1500 action in lieu of a Remington 700 action in any detail, I think that the after-market parts for a Remington 700 are likely to be less expensive and more common than like parts for a Howa 1500. You might start with a less expensive action/barreled action, but the higher(?) cost of the after-market parts might come close to balancing the equation. Sort of like the Bansnar/HTS vs. McM situation, where the Bansnar/HTS is less expensive, but need quite a bit of work before they are finished, while most McMs require minor fitting and a skim bedding job to finish. By the time that you finish a Bansnar/HTS stock, you probably have close to the cost of a McM into it, if you factor in any value for your time spent finishing the stock.

Currently, I only have 1 Howa 1500, a deluxe S&W in 30-06 that I keep only because of its unique SN, PN11111.

Jeff
[Linked Image <br><br>I was shooting a Howa(S&W)when a Howa wasn't cool! Bought it new in Sept/83. It weighs 7lb 10oz(with cartridges)as shown. The gunsmith that did mine said it was the first one he had seen let alone worked on and was impressed with it's quality.<br>                         til later
								</div>
	</div>
	<div class=
I am getting barreled actions under $300 blued and $350 SS.

Not sure what Jeff is talking about concerning aftermarket parts, the only thing you need to change is the trigger.
Posted By: DDP Re: Using a Howa for custom build? - 03/25/08
Where are you finding SS barreled actions for under $400??
He's shopping & price quoting wholesale, unless I'm terribly mistaken.
Yep, an FFL is a wonderful thing.
FWIW, a good gunsmith can tune the factory trigger to a wonderful thing. I just had a good smith bed mine, recrown the tube and tune the trigger to a crisp 2 3/8 pounds for less than the cost of a Timney.
Posted By: DDP Re: Using a Howa for custom build? - 03/25/08
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yep, an FFL is a wonderful thing.

By FFL you mean... a Fine Flexible Lady (or two), right?
Regarding the after-market parts, I was thinking mostly about the cost/availability of parts. The only common laminated stocks for the Howas (that I've seen) are Boyd's JRS floor joists, while the factory Remington 700 laminated Mountain Rifle stocks are pretty common and have a much better fit/finish/configuration than any of the Boyd stuff that I've handled.

Also, you can usually sell your Remington take-off parts; barrels, stocks, BDL trigger guard assemblies pretty quickly to help offset the cost of the replacement parts. I don't recall seeing many Howa 1500 take-off parts for sale, but I haven't been looking, so I could have missed them.

Jeff
Does anyone know how much the howa action's weigh?
Yeah, I'd like to know what 30-06 factory barreled action weighs?
Barreled action on my .300 in the above photo is 4lb 9oz. It's a 24"bbl and has a Timney trigger.

til later
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Regarding the after-market parts, I was thinking mostly about the cost/availability of parts. The only common laminated stocks for the Howas (that I've seen) are Boyd's JRS floor joists, while the factory Remington 700 laminated Mountain Rifle stocks are pretty common and have a much better fit/finish/configuration than any of the Boyd stuff that I've handled.

Also, you can usually sell your Remington take-off parts; barrels, stocks, BDL trigger guard assemblies pretty quickly to help offset the cost of the replacement parts. I don't recall seeing many Howa 1500 take-off parts for sale, but I haven't been looking, so I could have missed them.

Jeff

I've never sold any Howa take-offs simply because I've never been able to get one off with cutting a pressure relief groove just in front of the receiver. They don't use any loc-tite so they must get sumo wrasslers to put them on. I can't get one off with a four foot cheater bar on the action wrench.
For those of you who have purchased the barreled action, what kind of accuracy are you getting with the stock barrels in big game calibers?
A friend of mine has a 257 Weatherby Vanguard that has been bedded into a McMillan stock. With factory 100 grain ammo he can almost casually (three shots, not letting the barrel cool) bang out 3/4" 100 yard groups.

mathman
Thanks mathman.

I'm thinking about building a 338win on a stainless Howa, Mickey stock, and Timney trigger. My thought is, if it doesn't shoot with the stock barrel I will put a new one on.

I wish I could find a Howa or Rem action cheap and just put a barrel on, but I can't find one. I can buy the Howa for about $400.
I haven't shot a single Howa barreled action I've bought, but I am running 2 Vanguards with factory barrels and they shoot just fine.
Back in 85 when I had my S&W customized I wanted to swap out the barrel for a 26" one. A few days after dropping it off the gunsmith calls and tells me that the barrel is to good not to use. The man could have sold me a new barrel and I would have been none the wiser. Remember,back then the new Japanese factories were(and probably still are)state of the art and held close tolerances. I've got a pickup truck and chainsaw from the 80's and both are still at it. Back then people did not want to admit that Japanese products were any count!

til later
EZ,
which McMillan stock is that on the one in your picture?
Thx
Kimber7man,
It's an 80's model Brown Precision. Of course they were'nt being made for S&Ws(HOWA)so the gunsmith used one for a Sako.

til later
Here's a 1993 manufactured 30-06 Weatherby Vanguard "work in progress" :

[Linked Image]

I was originally looking for a Tikka but actually a former Sako gunsmith convinced me to get one of these instead. I like the solid feel of the action and the bolt. The extractor claw, bolt fluting and gas vents are good design, and while having a really skinny barrel and not being a sub-MOA model, ( I wonder if such a thing existed in '93 ) I don't feel undergunned accuracy-wise. Of course it would benefit from a varmint barrel and that is exactly the kind of work I was planning on progressing smile

[Linked Image]

Hensoldt 3-12x56 FF. All the quality of Zeiss added with a mil-spec sticker on the underbelly of the ocular.

[Linked Image]

EGW provided me with a 25MOA one-piece picatinny rail. The rail arrived across the big pond in exactly one week from ordering, which was nice.

[Linked Image]

Due to a 2 1/3" LOS-bore, a 56 mm objective lens and the fact that 34 mm Optilocks are made in only one height, I have to cope with a DIY cheekpiece until I make up my mind what to do with the stock. It's not too bad but I'm thinking McMillan/Manners/Bell & Carlson. That'll probably have to wait until I rebarrel, though, to avoid the need for re-bedding.

[Linked Image]

Last weekend I shot two test groups at 150 m (165 yd) , the 1 ring is MOA and I managed to ruin both groups with fliers I called right at the moment they left the barrel.

[Linked Image]

(or, if you can't see the video, http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5006297477456385127 )

She's not too easy to shoot prone due to a slightly short LOP and stiff(ish) recoil that is directed to 10 o'clock. The bipod feet actually leave the floor but that's hard to see due to video compression.

Overall I couldn't be happier, especially considering the price. I *was* originally going to just use it for hunting moose and deer ( for which 2 MOA is more than sufficient ) but I can already see myself going down the slippery slope... laugh
Lookout dude, there is a giant tricky-scope trying to eat your rifle.
How does this puppy look?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=96169906

Drop it into a McMillan, and I think that would hunt TX whitetails just fine as a 243...

Your thoughts? Looks like a good deal..
What is the advantage of the Howa over a $250-$300 Rem ADL that are easy to find? After selling the stock and barrel, you have a $200 action.

Can do the same with stainless for about $350.

You guys like the Howa better?
If you can find Rem ADL in 243 for $300 or less, I would gladly take a look. Nothing under $350 at gunbroker. I've been waiting for one to pop up on the classifieds here, but dont' think that will happen. Everyone wants the action.

Plus, I don't want the 20in barrel on the youth adl. I have yet to find a non-youth ADL in 243 for around $300. They all go $400+
I don't care about the caliber since the barrel would be pulled.

You can buy nice new pulled factory Rem barrels from Goforth, he could probably sell you a 243 barrel cheap.

I wouldn't build anything now anyway. I have everything I need for now.
In Finland it doesn't really matter which US made action you choose. For example, Rem700 parts are equally hard to come by and there's zero market for second-hand factory parts. So I accept the fact I'll be stuck with the stock and barrel even if I fit a Lothar Walther and a McMillan onto the action. No big deal, the factory parts are just fine for hunting ( if less for target shooting ) should one choose to screw them back on.

I personally just happened to pick one up and I got the overall impression the workmanship is top notch for a mass-produced standard rifle. My personal opinion is, I buy 90's made factory rifles whenever possible -- most cold forged factory barrels started to reach more-than-adequate accuracy levels, yet the rifles weren't ruined by the "cost-effectiveness" of 2000's business thinking that's brought us the cheapest plastic bits and some flimsy synthetic stocks into rifles that up until now were supposed to go from father to son.
Does the Vanguard come in a short action? Or do the use one action length and a mag spacer for everything?
I know there are Howa 1500 in short action (mine has a Mossberg nameplate) I can't see weatherby not using the 1500 SA for their vanguards in 308, 243, 22-250, etc.
Good for a custom build or not, this "semi-custom Vanguard" is the route I chose to take. I sold my TRG-42 so this better be good for my long range shooting needs as well... Time will tell as I'm a decent stock short of finishing her up.

A mountain rifle by no means, rather a general hunting / target hybrid. Heavy enough to be stable, light enough to carry, especially in my Eberlestock Just One. 10.3 lbs at the moment ( without the bipod ) , but the stock is 2.4 lbs with the adjustable buttplate. I'm opting for the High Tech Specialties classic to save some weight.

The scope sitting on Talleys is now a Zeiss 3-12x56 Victory Diavari with a target elevation turret ( the new type that needs to be lifted to rotate, so it doesn't turn on its own ) , and a lit mildot reticle. This is pretty much the scope I wanted, I don't need 24x to shoot 1K+ but I do prefer 10x+, I want the 3x for close-up shots, and I need the 50 or 56 objective lense because I regularly hunt at night.

The barrel is a 26" 1:9 twist #5 Shilen select match stainless in 7mm Rem Mag, I gained 1.5 lbs over the featherweight 30-06 but I'm willing to live with it as I have high hopes for its accuracy. Hasn't been fired as of yet.

I might've just as well gone with a #3 or #4 but for a complete stab in the dark I'm pretty happy as the contour turned out pretty darn close to what I imagined. Besides, I want to have the option to maybe return to sniper competitions, and that might mean I'll have to be able to take 10 shots in 10 minutes, or even faster -- I'm not sure any featherweight regardless of manufacturer can keep the POI with that kind of heat, especially in a magnum caliber.

This'll probably turn out not best for anything, good for everything kind of deal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I like it. When I rebarrel my Vanguard it will be lighter, but I have other uses for mine.
I have this theory floating around in my head that the Nosler M48 starts off life as a Howa action. The result is a rifle that shoots well, so a custom using one of the various Howa actions would be good. I think they are all forged actions as well.

The Nosler folks I have tried this theory on get all funny around the lips and won't talk. wink

jim
Here in Texas, Academy outlets sell Howa 1500 youth models
in 243 and 7mm-08 for 389 with a scope.
[Linked Image] howa 243ai factory barrel,recrowned,lugs lapped,reworked factory trigger crisp 2lb letoff. barrel floated,action pillar@devcon bedded into a much reworked boyds jrs classic laminate stock.leupy vxiii 3.5-10x40,leupy dd [email protected] wears a leupy fxiii 6x42 with lr dotz,very accurate rig,with only minimal load development so far.plus it feeds those ackley improved cases as slick as snot on glass.
Nice rig.
i would never be rebarreling my .243 howa- when i test fired it, it shot tiny little groups and there was zero copper fouling and the barrel came clean with just a few patches.

weird. apparently they know how to make barrels over there at howa.

i know howa makes their own barrels and weatherby uses kreiger barrels on the vanguards. so apparently howa just takes their actions and krieger barrels and slaps them together and ships to weatherby?

seems odd. when i need a new tube i am not sure where i would go.

-Matt
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
i would never be rebarreling my .243 howa- when i test fired it, it shot tiny little groups and there was zero copper fouling and the barrel came clean with just a few patches.

weird. apparently they know how to make barrels over there at howa.

i know howa makes their own barrels and weatherby uses kreiger barrels on the vanguards. so apparently howa just takes their actions and krieger barrels and slaps them together and ships to weatherby?

seems odd. when i need a new tube i am not sure where i would go.

-Matt

C'mon Now.......Using Kreigers????? They just give you a free action with the barrel? If you believe every thing you hear than you will be in trouble. Wow. Oh yeah the Nosler being a howa?? Again WOW! They werent 3 years ago any ways. They are cast. They are cast at the same place as some other name brand actions that are not nearly as expensive. But Howas....NO! Worth the money they are getting??? I would say not. But I may know abit more than the guy with the money that wants the name? I just worked there.

Jason

Jason
Thought I would resurrect this old thread..

Any tricks to reducing the weight of the action itself?

Anyone add a 3 position safety to the Howa?
Newer Howas have a 3 position safety, albeit a side and not on the shroud ala Winchester.

ive got a s&w 1500 in 223. very nice little rifle but heavy. i didn't know about the howa barreled actions sans stock do they sell the actions only? cause i see a 223ai in my future
Yes they do, I've built a few off them.
cool, you have a link?
You can look on their site and see where they list just the barreled actions.
http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/index.html

All you need do is find a distributor that deals in them.
thanks
actually they are kreiger, you can call weatherby. and when you do you can kiss my ass for being rude.

the twist rates and contours and lengths ALL differ from howa. it seems odd that Howa would set up to make 2 different styles and twists, etc. i'd say its because they didnt.

-Matt
Posted By: IAK Re: Using a Howa for custom build? - 09/18/09
They aren't "real" Kriegers. They are Krieger Criterion barrels (button rifled). That being said, they usually shoot great, but it isn't a three hundred dollar cut rifled Krieger tube. That's almost as much as the entire rifle costs.
yeah. all i said was that they were kreigers. i knew they weren't the high dollar one. that's common sense, since the whole gun costs $399.

Posted By: IAK Re: Using a Howa for custom build? - 09/18/09
I was just adding the info since the original poster seems unfamiliar with them.
gotcha. thanks. smile

© 24hourcampfire