Home
Posted By: montanabadger freebore or not - 04/04/08
I am putting a 257 Roy together, the smith gave me the choice of having freebore or not, he says most of the guys he builds them for request it without and then he marks on the barrel that it has no freebore. What would you guys do? Thanks in advance for your input.
Posted By: montanabadger freebore or not - 04/04/08
I am putting a 257 Roy together, the smith gave me the choice of having freebore or not, he says most of the guys he builds them for request it without and then he marks on the barrel that it has no freebore. What would you guys do? Thanks in advance for your input.
Posted By: RickBin Re: freebore or not - 04/04/08
I opted two times to leave the freebore in, and no regrets.

They can still shoot lights out. Trust me. grin

Besides, you never know who is going to stuff factory ammo in it, and some of that Norma stuff can be hot!

I know others will disagree, but I'm two for two with freebore.

rb
Posted By: 7 STW Re: freebore or not - 04/04/08
Without
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: freebore or not - 04/04/08
Like Rick says-safety first. Most of the fellas that elect to go without freebore usually load down from the reloading manuals. If you aren't a reloader go free bore, but if you reload its your call. The reason Roy developed the freebore- It was the only way that he could increase velocity at that particular time. Weatherby ammo is loaded to the balls and are designed to be fired from free bore rifles-so beaware of this factor. Correct me if I'm wrong fellas. I have 3 Bees and all are free bore and all shoot shoot well as advertised.
Posted By: clark98ut Re: freebore or not - 04/04/08
I chose freebore on the one I'm having built, just in case I wanted to (or needed to) shoot factory fodder.

-Dan
Posted By: FVA Re: freebore or not - 04/04/08
I'd build it with free bore. My 257W, with free bore, stacks bullets. As Rick said, accuracy isn't a issue. Even the bench rest guys are moving to using free bore because of its velocity enhancing benefits and thus less wind drift.

Last part was a joke for those ..........
Posted By: guntender Re: freebore or not - 04/04/08
best think this through and take some measurements. do you know what bullet you'll usually load, and if you want to seat a certain bullet long to get near the lands. can you get it to fit the mag. box when seated long? can you get a certain amount of freebore or is it a set length? It also could be done later easier than setting back to remove it later.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: freebore or not - 04/05/08
If you ever intend to shoot factory ammo & to enhance re-sell value to a non-reloader, leave the freebore in.

JMHO

MM
Posted By: luckycoyote Re: freebore or not - 04/05/08
If you reload without.
Posted By: montanabadger Re: freebore or not - 04/06/08
Those of you who said without, Why?
Posted By: FVA Re: freebore or not - 04/06/08
Originally Posted by montanabadger
Those of you who said without, Why?

I imagine they think it a aid to accuracy. Hasn't been my experience and I would also hazzard a guess that pressure would run higher in a non free bore rifle to get the same velocity as a free bore rifle.
Posted By: roper Re: freebore or not - 04/06/08
Years ago they did a study of sort on freebore in a 308,308 Norma Mag and 300 Wby at no freebore,1/2",1",2",factory for the 300Wby. The rifles with no freebore shot alittle faster in the 300Wby no freebore to factory rifle shooting factory ammo the Wby rifle had alittle less pressure not much as most rifles with 2" freebore. I had a 300Wby build I had it throated for Wby ammo and I can shoot the same ammo in that rifle as I do my factory Wby only difference is I get appr 150fps more velocity.

I'm not saying one is better but there has to be a reason most reloading manual mention special loading if no freebore in the Wby. My custom 300Wby shoot pretty good and the barrel is marked. Well good luck
Posted By: JungleJim Re: freebore or not - 04/06/08
I like the WBY factory "freebore" throat myself for two reasons.

1. You can shoot factory ammo in stock chamber if needed.
2. Factory chambered guns are much easier to to sell if you want to sell compared to wildcat chambers.
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: freebore or not - 04/06/08
Just a thought, but the .257 is known as a bit of a barrel burner, what if you were to ream it with no freebore, then when the throat started to erode after a few hundred rounds, you could ream freebore in and have a new throat?
Makes sense to me.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: freebore or not - 04/06/08
If the chamber, leade etc are cut straight it don't hurt a thing. If they ain't, get another smith.
Steelhead, Which scenario are you talking about,freebore or not?
Freebore.
thanx
Point being, if everything is cut correctly a little jump ain't a problem.
Posted By: montanabadger Re: freebore or not - 04/07/08
thanx again everyone
Posted By: BobinNH Re: freebore or not - 04/07/08
I've built a number of rifles for the 7 Rem Mag and the 300 Winchester mag on H&H length actions that had "long throats".Along the way I've loaded 140 and 165 gr bullets in each that had to make a considerable "jump" before they engaged the lands. Steelhead is right; if the chamber and lead area is cut right,and tolerances are tight,accuracy is excellent.

This has NOT worked so hot in some M70 Classics in 300 Win mag, which have throats a tad on the long side,and magazines too short to seat bullets out. 165's have tended to not shoot quite as well as 180's,and the cure was to replace the short box for a H&H length so the 165 could be seated longer,and closer to the lands.

Why?I think because the tolerances in the factory chamber and lead were a tad sloppy,and the shorter bullet just does not stay straight before it whacks into the lands. There are no doubt exceptions to this.

So, I would not hesitate to have a GOOD smith with a good reamer, etc cut your chamber with freebore. Hope this helps.
Posted By: FVA Re: freebore or not - 04/07/08

I'd just add that Weatherby chambers/reamers are cut/designed with the jump in mind as opposed to the 300 win mag.
Posted By: roper Re: freebore or not - 04/07/08
Originally Posted by FVA

I'd just add that Weatherby chambers/reamers are cut/designed with the jump in mind as opposed to the 300 win mag.

Here is a chambering offered by Spencer check out the 257Wby
http://spencerriflebarrels.com/chambers.htm
Posted By: FVA Re: freebore or not - 04/07/08

The reason "no free bore" is mentioned is because it differs from factory specs so I don't see that going against the statement of mine you quoted.
I also notice the 240 and 300 Weatherby's aren't spec'd that way and the 7mm Weatherby as having a Rem. throat.
It all goes back to the perception that having the bullet into or close to lands aids accuracy hence many wanting theirs that way. The fact remains that Weatherby's are capable of VERY fine accuracy with free bore, the free bore is part of the velocity/pressure equation of weatherby cartridge capabilities, and they aren't bench rest rounds.YMMV.
Posted By: Daveh Re: freebore or not - 04/07/08
257wby's (most wby chamberings actually) will shoot lights out with freebore. End of subject.....
Posted By: Popapi Re: freebore or not - 04/07/08
Freebore WILL be in mine but NOT as how Weatherby has it it will be less... OOOOH I can't wait!!!!!!
© 24hourcampfire