Home
Posted By: ShootingLady Ruger 77/22 Stock Options - 05/06/08

What kind of aftermarket stock upgrades are available for the Ruger 77/22 (22 Hornet)?
Thanks
Posted By: jdunham Re: Ruger 77/22 Stock Options - 05/09/08
Not much. I had wanted a synthetic stock for mine and pretty much gave up. There isn't much out there for the 77/ss Hornet.
Posted By: DMB Re: Ruger 77/22 Stock Options - 05/10/08
Originally Posted by ShootingLady

What kind of aftermarket stock upgrades are available for the Ruger 77/22 (22 Hornet)?
Thanks

I haven't seen any aftermarket stocks for the 77/22 Hornet. I have one too, and will leave it in the Walnut stock.
Posted By: jim62 Re: Ruger 77/22 Stock Options - 05/10/08
Shooting lady-

Clean out your PM box and I will send you some info about a possible source of stocks for the Ruger 77/22 Hornet.
Another option is re-doing the factory stock. I've got a 77/17 that I modified to my tastes. I rounded off all the square edges around the magazine well, and top edges by the barrel channel, then re-finished in an non-gloss oil finish. It turned out pretty well. I'm not able to post pictures.
Virgil B.
Jim62, all cleared out!

Virgil,
That sounds very interesting. I have never actually handled a 77/22 in Hornet -only one in 22LR and 22mag. What I didn't like on them (and may be the same/similar on the ones chambered in Hornet?) was the square edges, it just didn't feel right to me.
If I can find one with otherwise nice wood, re-doing it, as you describe may work.
Did you slim down the stock in front of the magazine some?
Seeing pictures would be great, I could help with posting? or maybe you could email them.
I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY wish McMillan would produce a NON-TARGET type of stock for the 77/22.
Posted By: DMB Re: Ruger 77/22 Stock Options - 05/18/08
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY wish McMillan would produce a NON-TARGET type of stock for the 77/22.

+1
Posted By: passport Re: Ruger 77/22 Stock Options - 05/18/08
Originally Posted by Steelhead

+2
Shootinglady,
I don't own a digital camera. I know, I'm behind the times. (grin!)
Gotta break down and get one someday.
As far as rounding the square edges, I did it with a fine rasp and a sanding block.
It really did turn out well, from my amature standpoint!
Virgil B.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Ruger 77/22 Stock Options - 05/20/08
Don't get me dreaming about the McMillan's for the 77/22 again.

+3
Posted By: Brad Re: Ruger 77/22 Stock Options - 05/20/08
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Ruger 77/22 Stock Options - 05/20/08
Make that 5.
Make that +6. I would buy one in a heartbeat for a new 17AH.
Posted By: ghope Re: Ruger 77/22 Stock Options - 05/23/08
Richards Microfit cuts their various shapes of stocks for the 77/22 Hornet, but it will have to be finished, with some work done in the inletting also, probably. You can get a stock turned in walnut or laminate. They are the only ones I know of that cut for a Hornet action.
I think this is about the 3rd time this has come up with McMillan in the forefront..................I'm in and then some, if Dick, Kelly and Crew can get one done.

Stick is the only guy I know of that has one from a few years back.
Count me in for a couple as well!

X-VERMINATOR
There's some interesting 77/22 remodels in here, for those that want to look...
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110541
Posted By: Jamison Re: Ruger 77/22 Stock Options - 05/24/08
Count me in...
Posted By: WGM Re: Ruger 77/22 Stock Options - 05/24/08
hell, count me in too ... I don't even have a 77/22 right now, but if McM is making a 'sporter' stock for one, I'll buy one and THEN find the rest of the rifle ...
© 24hourcampfire