Picked up a custom Mauser with the barrel stamped:
W.A. SUKALLE-GUNMAKER-PHOENIX, ARIZ. Have any of you
guys heard of him? Better than average custom gun in
my opinion. Regards, Jericho.
I'd like to see a pic of this one.

Which Mauser action is it?

Dober
Posted By: Huntr Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 08/29/08
Sukalle was a custom barrel-maker back in JOC's hedyday! I would love to see some pic's as well.

Posted By: HawkI Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 08/29/08
No, he was a custom barrel maker in ELMER KEITH"S day! grin
Posted By: BobinNH Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 08/29/08
I think Sukalle's shop is where Cactus Jack first encountered a Minar sporter;Sukalle barreled up some of Jack's early rifles IIRC.There was a Sukalle mauser in 270 on Gunsamerica recently.
Posted By: Jericho Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 08/29/08
It is a military Mauser 98, barrel is stamped 257REM,
G&H sidemount, very smooth action, I will post photos
when I get the chance.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 08/29/08
Sounds sweet! smile
One of Jack's most accurate rifles was an '06 with a 1:12 twist Sukalle barrel. Shot all loads to the same POI at 100yds, and shot 'em well.
Originally Posted by shootinurse
One of Jack's most accurate rifles was an '06 with a 1:12 twist Sukalle barrel. Shot all loads to the same POI at 100yds, and shot 'em well.

Man oh man, how did you ever get close enough to that rifle to know all of that to be true...? smirk

You the owner of it these days?

Dober
Posted By: CWG Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 08/30/08
WHERE AT THE PHOTOS!??!
Just remember reading a story by Jack that mentioned that rifle. my '06s are 1:10.
Posted By: Jericho Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 08/30/08
Sorry guys, I will get the photos as soon as possible,
I dont own a camera, but one of my friends does. Hopefully
I get photos tomorrow. Regards, Jericho.
Posted By: akjeff Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 09/01/08
Jericho,

We're leaving for Africa tomorrow, but I'd like to compare notes when we return. I have a Sukalle barreled action in .270 Win. I had Biesen's turn a blank to their classic pattern, and have it on the "winter project" list. Hope to make it shoot once again.

Jeff
Sukalle built rifles for Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith. He did only metal work, so you'll find his rifles stocked by lots of different people.

I wouldn't be surprised if O'Connor's Sukalle shot as well as shootinurse described. My Sukalle is a 30/06 with a 1:10 twist. It won't put bullets of different weights into the same group, but 150's, 165's, 180's and 220's all go into neat little cloverleaf groups each about three-quarters of an inch above each other.

Okie John
Posted By: JB in SC Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 09/05/08
Michael Petrov (Custom Gunmakers of the 20th Century) could probably help answer some of your questions. I'm pretty sure he still is a forum member here.
Elmer Keith's .285OKH Mauser, which was his favorite long range rifle, has a Sukalle barrel. I am looking at it now.
Posted By: DMB Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 09/05/08
Originally Posted by vigillinus
Elmer Keith's .285OKH Mauser, which was his favorite long range rifle, has a Sukalle barrel. I am looking at it now.

Lucky guy!!!! grin grin grin
Posted By: JB in SC Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 09/05/08
Originally Posted by vigillinus

Is the barrel marked with the S followed by four digits?
Posted By: Jericho Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 09/12/08
I now have pictures of the rifle, but cant bring them to
this website for some reason. Can any of you guys give me
a hand? Regards, Jericho.
JB, have never had it out of the stock.
How to post pictures.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 09/17/08
How about pictures of Elmer's .285 also?

Thanks
Bob
Posted By: 3sixbits Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 09/22/08
I knew Bill Sukalle as a kid, his shop was next door to Stop and Swap gun shop on east Washington street, in Phoenix, Arizona.

The man did do stock work and built barrels. I have one of Bills 98 actions in a stock he did for me in .300 WINCHESTER mag. He got out of doing gun work long before he quit work. He was hired as a special aero machinist for NASA part of the early space program. The man was the most meticulous machinist I ever knew in my life. Nasa would send him fortunes in machinery, that he would reject as not good enough for his standards. The new machinery would set out back of his shop covered with tarps until the tarps would rot off.

You can find a picture of Bill in ROY DUNLAP'S book "GUNSMITHING" Bill fit the description of the "Hard headed old German" perfectly.

The engraved rifles you find from Bill are always engraved by Kornbath I have had a long time interest in Bill's rifles.
I am new to this sight and was interested to see information about Sukalle rifles. I have owned a Sukalle .257 Rem on a mauser action for several years. My rifle is nothing fancy but is very attractive and shoots great. In talking with Jim Carmichael and others through the years, I learned that Sukalle was one of the first premier american independent barrel makers. He also designed and manufactured the Mauser safeties that are commonly seen on his rifles. Having owned many mauser customs, I can attest that Sukalle's safety is the finest I have seen. I was interested to know about his background with NASA.

Sukalle was featured on the cover and in an interesting article in the American Rifleman from June 1950.

I'll have to take some pics and post them. Does photobucket work well here?

Paul
Posted By: JBabcock Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 09/26/08
Yes it does.
Posted By: 3sixbits Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 09/26/08
I wish I had had the money for the rifle he did for me for his safety. Mine is just the stock military safety. The rest of the metal work is all his work.

Did you find his picture in Gunsmithing? I knew ROY DUNLAP quite well, as a team coach for high power and Palma. Visited him every chance I got when I was in Tucson. Used to see him when I was at the gun shows once and a while. ROY was one of the finest rifle smith I ever knew, vary innovative and solved many problem with action designs.

I remember the first time I shot a 1,000 yard event. I asked ROY what I should use for a sight setting. He asked me what my dead wind zero was for 200 yards on my team issue NM-M-14. He told me what to put on and I cleaned the target at 1,000. This was at Camp Perry in 1967. My Goodness those were great days to be a young shooter. Some of the legends were still active, heady days.

I wish I had saved the pictures I had of a Kornbath engraved Rifle that Bill had built. It had magnificent wood and the engraving was just out of this world. A vary good friend of mine from Fairbanks bought the rifle on my suggestion. He considers it to be a real fine rifle.
sorry these pics are late

Attached picture 11130-SDC10008.jpg
Attached picture 11131-SDC10013.jpg
Attached picture 11132-SDC10021.jpg
Attached picture 11133-SDC10024.jpg
[Linked Image][/img] [/img] [img][IMG]http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo9/gtb085/SDC10024.jpg[/img][/img] [img][IMG]http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo9/gtb085/SDC10013.jpg[/img][/img] [img][IMG]http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo9/gtb085/SDC10008.jpg[/img][/img]
Posted By: sinebar Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 09/06/10
When I was 10 years old my dad ( Bob Blake) purchased Bill Sukalle's barrel makeing equipment in 1967 in Phoenix,Arizona.It was on Washington street about 13th street. The name of Bill's machine shop was Desert State Machine. I remember Bill very well as he taught my dad how to Gundrill, ream and rifle barrels. The sinebar hook cutter machine was an amazing thing to watch in operation.It still had the over head reversing flat belt drive system that was from the line drive of earlier years! My dads buisness was Blake Barrel and Rifle Co. I had learned from my dad and Bill how to use the equipment and make gun barrels and do reboring. We opperated the buisness for a few years,untill we quit making barrels and continued to do only gundrilling that we still do today. Me and my son still run the buisness and have plans to put the rifleing machine back to use. Bill said he bought the machine from "Ole Man Savage" of Savage Arms. It was Savage's personal machine that Savage used for his personal use
Some great info in this thread.

I bought the ".257 Rem." Sukalle rifles from Jericho a couple months ago, and would greatly appreciate hearing from anybody who has more Sukalle information.
Posted By: Jericho Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 09/06/10
Wm Sukalle rifles show up on GB and AA every blue moon.
Jack O'Conner mentioned Sukalle barrels in his writings
everynow and then.
Here's an interesting Sukalle/Vail I had a chance to examine up close a couple of days ago. I am sorely tempted. Were it a 404 I don't think I would have walked away without it. smile
Sukalle M-98
W. A. Sukalle
Posted By: GA270 Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 09/06/10
I bought one from a friend for $250 in 1985, which is what he paid for it at a West Palm Beach pawnshop. I didn't really want the gun, but he was broke and needed money. It had a monstrous Redfield 4 X 12 scope on it. I was just getting into deer hunting, and wanted a .270. The Sukalle rifle was a 7 X 57, which meant nothing to me in my ignorance. Neither did the name Sukalle. Several years later, when I moved back to Georgia, I took it to a local gunsmith and told him to clean it up so I could sell it, hopefully for my original $250 investment, and get a .270. Well, he called and told me I had a custom rifle built on a 1949 commercial FN Mauser action with a Timney trigger and the finest barrel he'd ever seen, and that the rifle was worth a lot more than $250. Long story short, I went on the internet, which I didn't have in 1985 of course, and read up on Mr. Sukalle and on the 7 X 57 caliber. I put a Leupold scope on the gun, had a friend hand-load some 140-grain Nosler ballistic tips at 2850 FPS (the available factory ammunition was generally anemic), dropped it into a synthetic stock so as to save the stock that came on the gun, and it is now my opening-day rifle. Best $250 I ever spent.
JB, would it be possible to post a range report once you shake down the Bill Sukalle sporter you've recently purchased?
You bet. I'll be writing about it in RIFLE magazine as well.
Posted By: Jericho Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 09/09/10
JB,
When will the article on the rifle be printed, you have
caught my interest here. Regards, Jericho.
Posted By: Jlin222 Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 09/09/10
There was a 5 page article in the Gun Digest 1963 edition titled "Shooting Steel" on Bill Sukalle and his barrel-making, with lots of photos showing him and the equipment he used to make them.
The June, 1950 issue of the American Rifleman features a cover photo of Bill Sukalle.
Jericho,

It should appear some time this winter. I'm going to be sending it in next month.
Little bit of a shamless plug for a friend,but, this was the first thing that came up on google when I looked for sukalle. I was in a friends shop today and had a chance to handle the gun in this auction.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=192399158

I wanted to take it home. Very cool old rifle.
Posted By: John_Boy Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 07/09/11
Ok, i'm convinced. I'm going to keep mine,,,,
Posted By: JEDIA Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 02/04/12

The only Sukalle barrel I have seen in my life was a 7x57 on a Remington 760 pump at Daryls Gunshop in State Center Iowa about 1972 or so. Did not know what it was--but love the 7x57 to this day and often wondered about the story of the gun and what has happened to it in the 40 years since!
Posted By: JEDIA Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 02/04/12
2-3-2012
The only Sukalle barrel I have seen in my life was a 7x57 on a Remington 760 pump at Daryls Gunshop in State Center Iowa about 1972 or so. Did not know what it was--but love the 7x57 to this day and often wondered about the story of the gun and what has happened to it in the 40 years since!
Just thought I'd follow up on the Sukalle .257 Roberts I bought from Jericho. I loaded up my standard .257 test load of 46 grains of H4350 with some 100-grain Ballistic Tips in new Remington brass, and it's averaged .56" for several 3-shot groups at 100 yards. The largest group has been .76" and the smallest .35". That's with a 4x scope and brass that hadn't been "fireformed" to the chamber. The only accuracy tricks used were seating the bullets about .03" shy of the lands, and making sure they were seated reasonably straight.

I do believe Mr. Sukalle knew a thing or two about barrels and rifles....
I currently have a W.A. Sukalle 30.06, this gun was purchased by my grandfather new. He gave it to me.

Currently I mostly just want to know if I can get some history on the builder.

Not really looking to sell it, just get some info...

Things I do know.

Gun was set up by W.A. Sukalle, stock, rings, scope all original.

I have the receipt of purchase with every part listed as installed.

A google search lead me here. Any help would be great.

Photos to follow.

Thank you, Jonathan.
Posted By: Lorne Re: W.A. Sukalle custom rifle - 10/20/12
Wow - nice gun AND the family history
I was lucky enough to inherit a W.A. Sukalle rifle. Mine is in .300 H&H.

Sukalle was a superb barrel maker and put his serial numbers on the underside of the barrel near the receiver. The last two digits of the serial number are the year the barrel was made. The other numbers represent the # barrel made that year. Mine is 111457. Therefore it was the 1,114th barrel made in 1957. My gunsmith tells me it has a FN Mauser Action, made in Belgium. Features a Griffin & Howe scope mount and a jeweled bolt. Shows very little wear. I have not idea what this gun is worth.

W.A. Sukalle was featured on the cover of the June 1950 issue of American Rifleman. The same man who I acquired the rifle from had giving me his collection of American Rifleman magazines. I was pleased to find an original copy of the June 1950 issue in what is now my very own collection. If you are interested, I can scan it and email it to you.
© 24hourcampfire