Home
Posted By: Dayton Straight vs. Spiral Flutes - 11/19/08
I'm going to have one of my rifle barrels fluted. I can't decide between straight or spiral. I really like the looks of several spiral fluting jobs I've seen. On the other hand there seems to be a large variation in how they turn out. I have not liked many I've seen. I'm sure it depends on the contour, shape of barrel and requested flute specs such as degree of rotation and width. Maybe I should just play it safe and go with conventional straight flutes?
Posted By: WGM Re: Straight vs. Spiral Flutes - 11/19/08
FWIW, I've seen a few spiral fluted tubes that looked good ... however, most of what I've seen I haven't liked - but that's likely more a personal preference than anything else ...

that said, I much prefer the traditional straight flutes ... relatively wide and deep at that ...
Posted By: BCSteve Re: Straight vs. Spiral Flutes - 11/19/08
Personally I like straight flute, they look cool and utilitarian. The sprirals look "gimmicky" and like a toy. Do a stainless barrel with red spirals and it will look like a candy cane! At the end it's all about personal choice since in my opinion, flutes are only cosmetic.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Straight vs. Spiral Flutes - 11/19/08
Be different go SPIRAL!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: BCSteve Re: Straight vs. Spiral Flutes - 11/19/08
or like this

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TC1 Re: Straight vs. Spiral Flutes - 11/19/08
Now that's different.
Posted By: Mod7Nut Re: Straight vs. Spiral Flutes - 11/19/08
I like fluting of any kind, but really dig them spirals!!
Respectfully, the spiral flutes on a barrel look tacky. I like the spirals fine on the bolt.
Posted By: BCSteve Re: Straight vs. Spiral Flutes - 11/20/08
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
Respectfully, the spiral flutes on a barrel look tacky. I like the spirals fine on the bolt.

x2 I have no problem with spirals on the bolt, I like the Rem Ti bolts.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Straight vs. Spiral Flutes - 11/20/08
Originally Posted by Mod7Nut
I like fluting of any kind, but really dig them spirals!!
TenFo!!!!! ESPECIALLY Kampfelds!!!!!!!!! grin
Posted By: bcp Re: Straight vs. Spiral Flutes - 11/20/08
I prefer spiral fluted barrels--shallow ones on the inside. grin

Bruce
Posted By: Rolly Re: Straight vs. Spiral Flutes - 11/20/08
Be really different and go octagon !
Posted By: BMD Re: Straight vs. Spiral Flutes - 11/20/08
I have 180degree flutes on my Kampfeld be going to try 360 degree spiral on the one he has now, I like em but it is preference.
© 24hourcampfire