Home
Posted By: clark98ut McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 01/13/09
A while back I posted a question about the differences between McMillan's A5 and A3 and asked for opinions on the A3. I currently have two A5s but had never even handled an A3. Anyway, I still haven't shot the A3 so I can't comment on it that much, but I thought I'd post a few side-by-side pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://dnjclark.smugmug.com/photos/453893895_HDbNa-L.jpg[/img]

[img]http://dnjclark.smugmug.com/photos/453894153_3SbcL-L.jpg[/img]

[img]http://dnjclark.smugmug.com/photos/453894699_QLehs-L.jpg[/img]

Posted By: JStor Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 01/13/09
I like the beefy fore-end of the A5 for shooting off a rest, and I like the design well enough to have three of them. I'd be interested in your opinions on the A3 after you shoot with it. It's trimmer, but I figure the wider and shallower fore-end of the A5 just helps so much with stability up front. Nice stocks, though. It looks like GAP Camo and Desert Camo. One of my A5s is in Campfire Camo.
Posted By: Blueprinted Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 01/13/09
What is the weight difference?
Posted By: clark98ut Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 01/13/09
Well, it's not a true apples-to-apples comparison. The A3 is "sniper fill" and comes in at 3lb 6.1oz. The A5 is "standard fill" and comes in at 3lb 2.1oz. I'd guess with standard fill the A3 would be lighter, but I have no idea how much lighter.
Posted By: BMT Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 01/14/09
A3 guy here.
Posted By: BMT Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 01/14/09
Thanx for posting the comparison, though.
Posted By: clark98ut Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 01/14/09
I need to spend some time behind it, but I definitely like the feel and look of the A3.

Oh, I forgot to mention earlier. They are both inletted for Remington 700 short actions with Sendero/PSS contours. The only difference in letting is that one is inletted for Seekins DBM and the other for the older Williams BM.

-Dan
Posted By: 300MAG Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 01/14/09
My GAP build is using an A3 - it will be my first tactical style stock.

Thanks for the pics - it really shows the difference between the two.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 01/14/09
Clark,

Thanks for posting the pictures. I think the A3 would be more to my liking, though I really wish they would sell this one aftermarket...

[Linked Image]

John
Posted By: 300MAG Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 01/14/09
I agree with you Hondo, that is a nice stock that blends a hunting and tactical stock together. I wish McMillan would offer that model as an aftermarket stock!!
Posted By: was21 Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 01/14/09
I have both the A3 and the A5 on GAP builds.
JSTOR is correct that the A5 rides better on the bags with the wider forend but the A3 isn't too bad there either.

What makes me an A3 fan is in the carrying. With the thinner forend I think it makes a more versatile walking around/hunting piece.

I also like the A3's more rounded comb/cheek for comfort over the A5's more angular comb. The A3 fits my cheek better.

Can't go wrong with either, but give me just one and it will be an A3!!

FWIW
Wes in AZ
Posted By: JRS3 Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/02/10
Will a #5 contour such as Krieger's look balanced in an A3? I like the look of a 22-24" barrel but will a #5 contour be too small or just right? I don't want it to look like the gun is over stocked with this contour. What are your thoughts?
Posted By: JPro Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/02/10
Here's an #5 in an A-3:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek095.html

Posted By: clark98ut Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/03/10
One of my rifles is wearing a Broughton 5.5 contour.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/03/10
That A3 looks mighty fine. I've got iron that will drop right in. Ship it to me and I'll give 'er a whirl. I promise to return it.....sometime.....maybe....I think
Posted By: JasonF Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/03/10
Very nice clark98ut. What is the color mix on that one?
Posted By: JPro Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/03/10
I like the looks of the A-3. The A-5 feels like a really big stock to my hands.

There is also the new A-3 Sporter as an option. It is pictured at the end of this thread

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Thoughts_on_McMillan_s_Remi#Post4023495
Originally Posted by gunnut308
That A3 looks mighty fine. I've got iron that will drop right in. Ship it to me and I'll give 'er a whirl. I promise to return it.....sometime.....maybe....I think

You sure you don't want me to send the barreled action and scope as well? wink

Originally Posted by JasonF
Very nice clark98ut. What is the color mix on that one?

40% Woodland Beige, 30% Medium Tan, and 30% Black

Originally Posted by JPro
I like the looks of the A-3. The A-5 feels like a really big stock to my hands.

There is also the new A-3 Sporter as an option. It is pictured at the end of this thread

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Thoughts_on_McMillan_s_Remi#Post4023495

Interesting looking stock. I wouldn't mind fondling one sometime, but it's going to be tough to pull me away from the A3. I've got my 3rd A3 due any day now, and will probably order the fourth here shortly.
Posted By: hangunnr Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/03/10
Nice A5..... wink

I too am a fan of the A3. I have one in the same GAP camo on my 300WM. Haven't had the chance to get the A5 to the range yet so the jury is still out on it.

hangunnr
Originally Posted by hangunnr
Nice A5..... wink

Look familiar? grin

I'm slowly moving everything to A3s. The one I just ordered I had them install flush cups instead of swivels so it would ride the rest/bags better.

-Dan
Posted By: Strick9 Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/04/10
If you like that Micky in the pic above you should really check out Thomas Manners Stocks, The Mcs t series are really nice and Toms customer service is top of top notch. I own four MCST all in 90 percent carbon, his lead times and service are spot on as well as the stocks.
Posted By: SU35 Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/04/10
Manners are A+ Blue Chip stocks for sure.

I ordered and received a MCS-T but found the grip area WAY to small for my average hands. Try as I may I could just not get used to it. That grip was made for tiny hands.

A-3 on the way to me for my latest build.
I just like the ergonomics better.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/04/10
The A1-3 is a good mix. A3 forend with HTG grip and the cheek/stock line raised as high as possible (higher than standard HTG). Good mix for a tactical hunter. I'm liking it.

JCM
Posted By: Strick9 Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/04/10
Su35 , pm me the specs on that Mcst, I may have a use for it.
Posted By: Huntr Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/05/10
Thank you for posting the pics! I have been wondering the same and had never held either stock before.
Posted By: clark98ut Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/05/10
Reading back, I guess I never posted my thoughts on the A3 vs. the A5. I know some people will disagree with me on this, but I love the A3. So much so that I've been selling off all my A5s and moving to A3s. It's not that I don't like the A5, I just like the A3 better. I never was a fan of the butthook as it just never worked for me, or at least I never used it. I also like the fact that the A3 butt rides better on the rear bag without the butthook. I know some people say the A5 rides better on the bags, and that may be true, but I hardly ever shoot from bags. I'm either shooting off a front rest or a bipod.

I think they both handle recoil equally well, and both are far better than the HTG that one of my A3s replaced. The latest stock I ordered, which should be here any day now, is an A3 with flushcups installed instead of swivels. I figure that will offer me the best compromise of bipod/front rest shooting.
Posted By: JasonF Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/05/10
How do you plan on attaching a bipod to a flushcup?
One option...

http://www.operationparts.com/KAC_KNIGHTS_ARMAMENT_HK_HOOK_BALLLOCK_SLING_SWIVEL_p/21317.htm
Posted By: JasonF Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/05/10
Interesting - I wasn't aware of those. Please post up a report once you have tested it.
Will do. I'm also told McMillan might have something, as well as Millett, but I couldn't find anything on Millett's website.
Posted By: greentimber Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/05/10
I've used both and the A3 wins it without challenge.
Posted By: aalf Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 05/05/10
Originally Posted by clark98ut
Will do. I'm also told McMillan might have something, as well as Millett, but I couldn't find anything on Millett's website.

McMillan does have them, and a hell of alot cheaper. I just bought some, but the price isn't broke down per piece with the loops and flush cups bought at the same time. They're called flush mount cup sling stud adapters.
Thanks aalf. I sent Ryan (Shoot to Win) a PM last night asking about them. I'll order from them. When my stock arrives, I'll post pictures of the setup.

-Dan
Posted By: cal74 Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 11/23/12
Bringing this back up, girl friend might buy me stock for X-Mas.

Thinking about something for a Varmint Barreled SA Remington (McSwirly) of some flavor.

Toss up between an A3 or an A5 or the A3-5?

Is getting it set up for the Loggerhead cheek piece an option through Rick here?

What fill weight should I get, I'd probably slip a 22-250 in it for now but would like to do a build with the varmint contoured barrel sometime along the road.

Rifle will essentially be a mid-longer range pasture rock buster using a bi-pod. Standard or Sniper fill?

Any further in-put on what style for the above description.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 11/23/12
The Rem 700 Varmint contour and A3 are a perfect match IMO......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 2muchgun Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 11/23/12
Heavier contours get A5s......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: clark98ut Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 11/24/12
A Remington varmint contour is to an A3 what peanut butter is to jelly.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 11/24/12
Like beer and brats.......
Posted By: clark98ut Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 11/24/12
Beans and rice... grin
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 11/24/12
Damn Texicans....... grin
Posted By: cal74 Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 11/24/12
What about fill weights?

ps: Thanks for the pics
Posted By: Kaleb Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 11/24/12
I went standard fill with the a3 and a5. The a5 is great but has a22" barrel. The a3 is fine but has a longer barrel and is a touch more nose heavy. It's not bad by any means though. With a longer barrel I'd go with a heavier fill if doing it over
Posted By: yukonal Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 11/25/12
A-3, standard fill.
Posted By: clark98ut Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 11/25/12
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Damn Texicans....... grin

Had me some beans and rice today as a matter of fact!

I agree on standard fill. You could always add weight later if you wanted.

Here's a little teaser of one I have in the works...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kaleb Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 11/25/12
You have a well stocked gun room....grin.

What's the colors? Linda hard to tell on my phone
Posted By: clark98ut Re: McMillan A3 vs. A5 - 11/25/12
Originally Posted by Kaleb
You have a well stocked gun room....grin.

What's the colors? Linda hard to tell on my phone

I only wish! That's Bruno's.

Black and blue swirl.
© 24hourcampfire