Home
I just bought this barrel.

Now, what should I make it into? Leave it a 260, or make it a 6.5X284, or a 6.5 WSM.

With a Savage, converting to a WSM would only require reaming, and a new follower and a new bolt face,and I can do these.

What are the advantages of each? I already have a 260 and lots of brass...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/3106721/page/4#Post3106721
David,

You still shipping out for the sandbox soon? If so, when? We will all be praying for you if you still have to go, God bless you. and thank you!

As to the original question, I would go 6.5/284. Great brass now available, terrific speed and performance.

Gonna be at the Gunshow there in Kennewick this Sat?

MARK
With 900+ rounds down a $200 barrel, I wouldn't throw any more money at it. You've got all the 260 stuff, I'd shoot it up that way.
Originally Posted by aalf
With 900+ rounds down a $200 barrel, I wouldn't throw any more money at it. You've got all the 260 stuff, I'd shoot it up that way.

Exactly.
Mark,

Will not be there Sat, but may Sunday. Will you be there Sunday?

Spin up for training July 6th, head out a few months later.
It really depends on what you're going to do with it.

The 260 will do anything that the other 2 cartridges will do, in a short action rifle, out to 400+/- yards. The trade-off for a slightly higher trajectory is that you'll burn less powder. Over 400+/- yards, there is probably some advantage in the flatter trajectory, but that advantage has probably been eroded to some degree by the technology of laser range findlers and turrets.

I have several of both the 260 and 6.5-284, but can't say that I've noticed any meaningful difference in field performance. I looked into the 6.5 WSM, but decided that the 270 WSM would meet my needs easier and for less $$.

Since this is a 24" barrel, it would be really easy to trim the barrel far enough back to remove any existing throat damage and cut a new chamber. If you cut the barrel back far enough to remove the existing (worn?) throat, it might be a little short to be optimum for the 6.5 WSM. That much powder in a shorter barrel would probably be loud and have a noticeable muzzle flash.

Jeff
Originally Posted by biglmbass

Exactly.

Big Time!

Dober
TenFo. I sure wouldn't make it a 6.5x284, if it were me I'd make it a 260 or a 260AI.
yeah trim back the throat a hair and do the 260 AI.
yeah trim back the throat a hair and do the 260 AI.

Agreed.
Do the 260 Rem (AI or reg).

Mine's just a regular 260, but it's a sweet shooter.
260 AI
I'd do a complete new bbl.....
I would got 6.5-284 because of the great match grade stuff.

But, I am voting with Dober and the dudes -- overall keep the 260.

God Bless and keep you in the Sandbox.

BMT
According to a friend who competes at 1000 yd matches the accuracy life of the 6.5/284 can be over in as little as 800 rds!
Did you mention how it will be used? My 6.5X47Lapua with a 21" barrel is a very accurate hunting rifle. With a longer barrel they are in favor with the long range crowd.
Butch
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I just bought this barrel.

Now, what should I make it into? Leave it a 260, or make it a 6.5X284, or a 6.5 WSM.

With a Savage, converting to a WSM would only require reaming, and a new follower and a new bolt face,and I can do these.

What are the advantages of each? I already have a 260 and lots of brass...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/3106721/page/4#Post3106721

I would limit your choices to the .260 or 6.5/284. The WSM cartridges, along with the long-actioned, RUM-chambered rifles, were made with a larger thread diameter than the standard chamberings. On Factory guns, the difference was visable via a larger diameter step just before the barrel nut - which I don't see on your barrel. Not saying a WSM can't be done, but I don't think Savage would recommend it on a "standard" action (these typically have a 1.055" thread diameter, if I recall correctly).

Personally, I'd go with the .260.....

Kaiser Norton
I vote 260.

If it fits, I would consider the 6.5x55, it is longer, so rechambering would help eat up the bad throat. In my opinion, it is an inbetween cartridge, longer that a short action, and not quite long enough to be considered a long action. Savage seems to like really looonnnng actions, so perhaps it would fit?
© 24hourcampfire