Home
Who are the very best around that can fit a McMillan stock to a barreled action with flawless fitting & inletting, flawless bedding, etc. I know there are plenty that can "get it done," heck I can do it, but I'm looking for the best out there that can please a discriminate eye, every time.
Darrell Holland
I've got a Holland Mickey in the safe, and the bedding/pillar job is A+1.
Tim McWhorter performs the best bedding jobs I have seen. He is in Georgia too.
Check out Patriot Arms (now American Precision Arms). Jered Joplin is the owner.

Himself & his staff build custom tack drivers - Their work is excellent!!

(They are in Georgia also)
Karl Feldkamp bedded one for me and it is great. He bedded a blind mag front srew into the stock. He fitted a mag box to the blind mag. He also dyed the bedding to match McMillian's paint. Cerakoted the sling swivels, etc....little things that really finished the rifle. It may make no difference in the accuracy compared to a bedding job I would do myself, but the little things are nice.
CAS on the fire does excellent work. http://www.riflestockpainting.com/
Tom Meredith, TM Stockworks probably does more than anyone. Beds stocks for the BR crowd and then some.

http://www.tmss.net/
might wanna consider mcmillan themselves. I believe they'll pillar and bed for you for a pretty reasonable rate.
I've had McMillan do some quite creditable work.

For the absolute finest, with no compromise contact:

Gordy Gritters
409 Main Street
Harvey, Iowa 50119

(641) 949-6677
www.gordysgunsmithshop.com

I have owned stocks/rifles bedded from Darrel Holland, McMillan, CAS, Rick Bin and others.

McMillan and Holland and Rick Bin were all FIRST CLASS. I would not hesitate one minute to have Karl bed one either.

My .02 after a pile of rifles.

If I was just installing a stock, just leave it alone unless necessary.

If I was having one built and that probably won't happen but if I was I would have the guy bed it. Most would insist and you won't have to worry.

Dave
Roger Ferrell in Fayetteville, GA. He's listed as Roger's Gun Works
Originally Posted by dogzapper
I've had McMillan do some quite creditable work.

For the absolute finest, with no compromise contact:

Gordy Gritters
409 Main Street
Harvey, Iowa 50119

(641) 949-6677
www.gordysgunsmithshop.com

I agree.Gordy is the one you call.
McMillan does it - it will add 2 weeks to the normal order time.

However if you already have the stock, plan on them holding it for 6 months to do a bed job.

Just wrong.

Spot
Contrary to many popular beliefs held by many posting here, nobody does more that the employees at McMillan. Who did the vary first and ever week they do more than any individual. Week in and week out they do more than anyone else.

Like all other mechanical process with a gun, the more you do it, the better you are at the job.

I know this is not the view of many here, but most of the people you want to do this job send them back to McMillan to have the work done by them. And why not have them do it?
I will have to disagree, that just because MCM beds quite a few,doesn't mean they are the best,I'm sure they do a decent job,for me I personally would rather go with smiths like Gordy Gritters,Clay spencer,GAP or Tom Meridith,Jered Joplin Guys that know how to end up with a stress free barreled action when the bedding is finished, If you want a perfect fit you will probably have to order a flat top and have someone custom inlet your barreled action!!
i've had Greg Tannel pillar bed more than a few rifles and his work is top shelf.

ML
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Randy does fine work.
Accurate Rifle Works.
814 882 3278

dave
I'll second Greg Tannel. He puts a dial caliper on the barrel to check stress while tigtening screws and such. That is where Gritters learned to do it. www.gre-tanrifles.com
© 24hourcampfire