Home
I have Classics and Mtn Rifle McMillans, but they leave me wanting. For me, the comb heights are to low. With my scope mounted in Talley LW lows, I still have to pick my cheek up slightly to get a good sight picture. I usually have to put on a stock pack to get a good cheek weld. Does anyone like the Remington Sporter McMillan and would this stock fit my needs? I would be getting it an EDGE for a 300 WSM build.
The Sporter is my favorite of the McMillan patterns, I've used it for 10 years and couldn't be happier.
Posted By: aalf Re: McMillan Remington Sporter? - 11/19/09
I've got a couple and do find them a bit easier to get a good cheek weld with. Also, you'll find that a Edge Sporter, because of the tad larger forend and the cheekpiece, will come in at around 28 ounces.
For most applications, I like the thinner forearm of the Tikka 65 better than the Remington Hunter style. That said, I don't have any trouble with the comb height on any of my 26 McM stocks.

The only McM stock that I've owned and didn't like, at all, was the Sporter style. The shallow radius of the pistol grip just doesn't work for me.

Jeff
you might want to look at the stock produced by mcmillan for holland rifles it has a high cheekpiece.

gene
Originally Posted by aalf
I've got a couple and do find them a bit easier to get a good cheek weld with. Also, you'll find that a Edge Sporter, because of the tad larger forend and the cheekpiece, will come in at around 28 ounces.

I sure hope its a little less weight than that. I just ordered my 1st McMillan - a Sporter Edge BDL SA for my 7mm-08. I was hoping to shave some weight off of it, it currently has a B&C Alaskan Ti stock that weighs about 31 ozs. so I thought it would be much less than that.
I'll bet you like it much more than the chubby ti.
I have a Remington Sporter on an unbraked 300 RUM. I like the straight high comb. Works great with my scope and the recoil seems to come straight back with almost no muzzle jump. A definite asset when launching a 200 gr bullet at 3200 fps! Nice stock design in my opinion.
Posted By: Grand Re: McMillan Remington Sporter? - 11/19/09
I tried a Sporter and it felt clubby, but that is dependent in part on what you stick in it. Edge Sporter might be a different animal.

I like Talley lightweight rings, but they really need to make a Superlow! The low is still to high for the McMillan Classic. Never had a problem with the Mtn. I'd rather change rings than stocks. I run the Talley steel two-piece system on my Classics. Another option to save weight is the S&K or Gentry systems.
The Remington "Sporter" pattern is my favorite McM stock patter, I have a couple of Edges but the Sporter fits me the best.
Here's a pic of my Rem 700 SA with a Sporter Edge. I think aalf is right about the 28 oz. I can weigh it this weekend if you want.
[Linked Image]
Dmentzer,
I like the look of that rifle - what barrel contour is that if you don't mind my asking. I will have a SA 700 with a Shilen #3 and have been wondering how it will look, the picture sure looks like a perfect combo.
Thanks
I just sold a SA Remington Sporter Mickey, but not because I didn't like it. Rather, because I just wanted to try a different shape to see how I would like it. I like the sporter as much as the mountain rifle pattern and it is better suited to a heavier tube. Worked perfectly with a #5 Krieger.

John
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Dmentzer,
I like the look of that rifle - what barrel contour is that if you don't mind my asking. I will have a SA 700 with a Shilen #3 and have been wondering how it will look, the picture sure looks like a perfect combo.
Thanks

It's a #3 Lilja in .223.
If anyone is interested, I had the chance to weigh the stock and rifle. The stock weighs 24 oz. and the complete rifle weighs 7.5 lbs.
Is that a sporter? The checkering looks like the edge stock.
Originally Posted by EDMHUNTER
Is that a sporter? The checkering looks like the edge stock.

Yes, sporter with edge construction.
[Linked Image]

Super Trucker

I like this one for what you're wanting. Sako Hunter Edge on 700 Remington, comes up good everytime for me, and stuff just dies. The forearm is slim but the barrel is a #4 Rockcreek. I bought
the Rifle from CAS a few years ago and it's still my favorite.
Hope this helps. Build is on Page 3 of Rifle blueprints here.

Craig

Posted By: SU35 Re: McMillan Remington Sporter? - 11/27/09
Trucker I think you would like Manners MCS-UL.

http://mannersstocks.com/UltralightHunter.html

Working on a 375 build right now on a Rem 700 L/A Mag, and in the market for a stock. Never had a McM but it seems to get rave reviews here. Have had several Browns, High Techs, and B&C or two. Not real fond of the H-S.

Appears to me that the only way to get a McM quickly (less than 12-16 weeks, or more) is to order one of the 'net specials - and choices are limited. Question is - with a 22", approx #5.5 contour (.860 @ 6" from recoil lug; .740 @ muzzle) barrel, can I use a Classic, or do I need to move up to the Hunter?
Posted By: slg888 Re: McMillan Remington Sporter? - 12/01/09
Originally Posted by SU35
Trucker I think you would like Manners MCS-UL.

http://mannersstocks.com/UltralightHunter.html

Got one. Very nice & feels great.
Posted By: aalf Re: McMillan Remington Sporter? - 12/02/09

I sure hope its a little less weight than that. I just ordered my 1st McMillan - a Sporter Edge BDL SA for my 7mm-08. I was hoping to shave some weight off of it, it currently has a B&C Alaskan Ti stock that weighs about 31 ozs. so I thought it would be much less than that.

Sorry, my bad. Was going off memory. Mine's 26 ozs. with a 1" pad. So with a 1/2" it should be in the 24 oz. range.

Sorry, my bad. Was going off memory. Mine's 26 ozs. with a 1" pad. So with a 1/2" it should be in the 24 oz. range.

That'll work thanks for the update.
Posted By: SKane Re: McMillan Remington Sporter? - 12/03/09
Originally Posted by Grand

I like Talley lightweight rings, but they really need to make a Superlow! The low is still to high for the McMillan Classic.

Concur. A normal "low" or their version in a super-low would be the jam.

I ordered my first Sporter today for my 220 Swift in a Steelhead Special. I've got a couple Mountain's, a Classic and a Classic Compact. Feel the need to try them all I guess. grin
Posted By: RickF Re: McMillan Remington Sporter? - 12/03/09
Don't be afraid of the Leupold low dual dovetails. They work great with a classic, or in this case a sporter.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire