Home
Just kicking around some ideas and seem to recall seeing a few M-96 Swedish Mausers chambered in 9.3 x 62.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on such a rifle?
I know I dote heavily on the chambering.............................
I would add a decelerator pad as recoil in the very light M96 will be vigorous. That said, I'd go for it. It's hard to beat the 9.3x62 and a trim little 96 would carry very well.
HBB,

I like the chambering in question ALOT! I built my 1st one back in 1990 and carried it to Co. Elk hunting in 1995. I am now on my 4th one. I've changed platforms a couple of times. However, as much as I like it, the M-96 Swede is NOT a platform I highly recommend. It lacks the 3rd safety lug of the M-98.

With moderate loads, it should be fine, but we Americans have a definite tendency to hot-rod everything. It this case, that is NOT a good thing. I have one in 9.3x57 and am very happy with it. Also, have a couple of other M-96's in 6.5x55. I like those as well... But I leave the higher pressure cartridges to the stronger actions.

Best of luck to you....

GH
Can't come up with a reason to build that on military 96 action.
I wouldn't build one either, but the OP mentioned finding them already in 9.3x62 configuration, likely Swedish sporting rifles recently imported.
I wouldn't even tough one punched, I'd run get what they were originally chambered in.

Some of the 98's are around in x62 and that would be ok
I think that the 3rd auxillary/safety locking lug is a less critical factor than is the smaller gas shield on the SR Swedish Mauser actions. When was the last time that you heard of a Swedish Mauser shearing a locking lug? I never have and, extending that thought, have never heard of anyone having any trouble with a SR Swedish Military Mauser action unless they were using ammo that was of substandard quality or loaded over the recommended maximums.

I agree that the SR Swedish Mausers are probably best left as the 6.5x55s, 8x57s, and 9.3x57s that they came chambered in by the manufacturers. I currently have Swedish Mausers with after-market barrels in 22-250, 257 Roberts, and 7x57, as well as military rifles in 6.5x55 and commercial Husqvarnas in 6.5x55 and 8x57. I think that, with the exception of the way they handle, or fail to handle, escaping gas, the Swedish Mausers are generally a strong and well made action. That said, they are probably not the best action for a person who reloads at or above loads recommended in the current editions of the major reloading manuals.

When reworking a Swedish Military action, as a minimum I replace the bolt shroud with a commercial style unit from Brownells or MidwayUSA that features a larger gas shield, install a Dayton-Traister cock-on-opening kit, and replace the factory trigger with a Bold or Timney unit that incorporates a safety.

Jeff
Thanks for the input folks.

I think I may have a M-96 in 9.3x57 treed up.

I checked prices on dies and man are they expensive.
A M-96 is strong,I know one oldtimer at the range that loads his to almost 264 velocities. Come to thing about it, I haven't seen him for while.But the odd M-96 has been blown up. I would get one of the M-98 sporters,they are also available in 9.3x57 and some in 9.3x62.
I seem to recall a 96 being pressure tested up quite high.
Terry Wieland-who is fighting with Miller-Rigby- took two actions- 1 p17 Enfield and 1 Swedish model 96 and worked up hand loads to blow them up. He did but the recoil lugs of the 96 held up to very high pressures above 66,000 psi before it gave it up. His view was that the lugs would lock up before she blew up.
The 96 and the other Spanish mauser do have 1 recoil lug less than the 98s but they are strong actions and I wouldn't worry about that aspect.

My view is that you probably should look at a 640 in 30/06 or a 1600 because the mag box on those fits better than a 96 with 9.3X62.

I am a mauser neophyte. However, it is a disease that is bad.

Sincerely,

Thomas
Considering the case capacity differences between the 6.5x55 and 264 Win Mag, you oldtimer friend has probably been guilty of practicing unsafe reloading techniques. There just isn't any way that you could safely reload the 6.5x55 to match the 264 Win Mag with all variable factors like bullet, barrel length, and pressures being equal.

Jeff
I wouldn't have any problem with a 96/9.3x62. The 96 action handles gas at least as well as a pre-64 Model 70, and all 96's are made with very good steel.
Husqvarna built M96's in 9.3x62, though the bulk of the 96's they built in 9.3 caliber were in the x57 variety. They seemed pretty willing to build either action in either cartridge, for several years at least. Guess they thought it would work... smile.

Dennis
On a side note I'm half tempted to grab another 9.3x57, the Cabelas is still flush with them. The one I have is a shooting SOB and handles about as nice as any rifle I've owned or own.
If I ever run into one on a shelf for sale I'll probably buy it -- I want another one that is drilled and tapped for a scope, maybe even with a good laminated or synthetic stock. Mine is so perfectly original I hate to modify it.

Dennis
Mine also. They did have a few with scope mounts and I'm thinking about snatching one of them up.
The Gun Library guy in LaVista, NE, told me that Cabela's bought hundreds of Husqvarna sporting rifles from Simpsons and distributed them to the stores. I bought a Husqvarna 648 with a FN 98 action in 8x57, #1428xx, on 09/09 that was in nice shape, but had had an after-market trigger with a side safety and Weaver bases installed. I looked at it a couple of time and decided that it was just too nice to pass by again.

Sarco has also imported a lot of Husqvarna sporting rifles over the past few years, but they appear to have been picked pretty clean of the really good and original rifles. My 648 with a commercial SR Mauser action in 8x57, #868xx, came with a high European side-mount and an old Ajack 4x scope that looks like the Swedish Army's sniper rifle sights. The scope is mounted very high, which makes it uncomfortable to shoot.

Jeff
My Husqvarna 46 9.3x57 came from Sarco, about four years ago. They had maybe thousands rather than hundreds then, but it looks like they've pretty well sold all they had. I could have bought a drilled and tapped model then for $275 -- just never got around to it. Wish I had, now... whistle.

Dennis
If anyone is interested there is a M96 in 9.3x62 for sale now on gunbroker.com for $325.
I wouldn't fool w/ the M96. Some were very nicely finished, very slick. Trouble primarily is in the design - the third safety lug of the M98 is missing from the 96, and that's a big deal to me. Further, some of these actions were a bit soft. The cock on closing feature can be changed, if you don't like it.

If you do go ahead w/ it, I wouldn't want to have pressures go over 45,000 psi or so, and that may be high.
Originally Posted by GF1
I wouldn't fool w/ the M96. Some were very nicely finished, very slick. Trouble primarily is in the design - the third safety lug of the M98 is missing from the 96, and that's a big deal to me. Further, some of these actions were a bit soft. The cock on closing feature can be changed, if you don't like it.

If you do go ahead w/ it, I wouldn't want to have pressures go over 45,000 psi or so, and that may be high.

I think you are mixing up the Swede 96 with another action.

Swede 96 rifles and actions are as common as dirt here in Sweden and I have never heard of one that set back even after rebarelling to an inappropriate calibre operating at higher pressure (nor is there any mention of soft Swede 96's in Kuhnhausen book or any of my other rifle books). Quality control was always high.

However, you are indeed correct about the lack of the safety lug. I happily shoot these rifles in 6.5 x 55, 9.3 x 57 and 9.3 x 62, but would not spend money turning this action into a custom rifle. There are better choices like the Mauser 98 you mention.

John
John, while I've not Rockwell tested any of them, my information comes from gunsmiths I trust...you may have more definitive knowledge than I do.
There are 96's, and then there are 96's. I have a Husqvarna 46 sporter (a 96 action), and from what I've read -- as stated by John -- any reasonable cartridge can be used in them. If Husqvarna saw fit to build 46's in 9.3x62, I am quite certain they knew that it was just fine at any standard pressure.

And I definitely trust whatever John says.

Dennis
One of the reasons the 96 got a reputation as a "45,000" action is that Jack O'Connor sometimes wrote about them, and said that was the case. His "evidence" was that 6.5x55 ammo was loaded to 45,000 CUP--but that was only in the U.S., not in Europe.
I must also comment that in several decades of fooling with various Mauser actions I have yet to see a 98 where the two front locking lugs let go, which is the only instance where the 3rd lug would do any good. In fact I have yet to see a 93, 94 or 96 where the two front lugs let go, or even one of them.
My reservations of having a Husqvarna M-96 in 9.3x62 is not that I think the action won't handle it. It is precipated by the fact that folks tend to hot-rod them.

I'd personally have no qualms with a M-96 in 9.3x62, but can't in good consicence recommend it as a vialble option! But then, I am a more sensible reloader that some others that I know. I personally don't feel any need to push the envelope. If I need more gun, I almost always have something bigger.

On the subject of magnum chamberings in the M-96, I have a buddy who claims he once saw one rechambered to .264 Win. Mag.... - Certainly not something I'd do. frown

GH
Happy Birthday Grasshopper
You and I have different perspectives on the practical value of the 3rd locking lug. It is a big deal to you and of no concern to me. OTOH, the small gas shield on the pre-1898s is a concern to me, so on my Swedish Mauser rebuilts I usually install a commercial-style bolt shroud with a larger gas shield, along with a Bold or Timney trigger that features a safety, and a Dayton-Traister cock-on-opening kit. I've owned at least a dozen sporterized Swedish military rifle, factory built Husqvarna sporters, and custom sporters built on the Swedish actions without experiencing even the slightest hint of a pressure problem.

Swedish Mausers were built to very high standards in terms of both workmanship and materials. Since Sweden wasn't involved in either World War, these rifles were never built under war-time conditions, with the commonly associated QC short cuts.

Jeff
I believe the 96 Swede is stronger than most 98's, the bolt lugs are the same size on both and the 96 is made of much stronger steel.

Most 98 Mauser drill like butter after you are through the case, 96's drill like chrome moly.
I'm sure there are many here who have at least as much practical experience as I but I'll throw my two bits in anyway.
The 96 action is strong enough as far as locking lugs and seats are concerned and it is made of good steel properly heat treated. However, many Swedish mausers are damaged (and many of them, during factory re-conditioning)when barrels are removed/replaced. The small ring receiver is quite thin on the right (extractor) side. Consequently, receivers are often squashed by outside wrenches or split by inside wrenches. In addition, there seem to exist, in Sweden, some of the sorriest jackleg gunsmiths you'll find! This is why you will see so many recently imported with scope mount screw holes in the wrong place, multiple screw locations, ugly bolt handles, etc. etc.
So, while I think the 96 action is likely just fine for the 9.3x62, it pays to be careful in the selection of your action.
For those gunsmiths who might be disassembling one for the first time, the barrels are often VERY tightly installed. The use of an out side wrench is best. In fact, I won't use an inside wrench on one at all. Before clamping the outside wrench on, insert a close fitting mandrel to support the receiver ring so as to avoid squashing it.
I recall looking at one 96 which had come apart with a factory load. This action's receiver ring was plainly split right at the top of the right locking lug raceway. This was a re-conditioned rifle and there was evidence that the barrel threads were a bit large and forced in. I suspected this stressed the action, causing an internal crack. There was evidence that oil had penetrated into the crack, so it had been there for a while. A couple of other actions I saw were actions only and also showed cracks in the same location. I assumed they had been damaged by barrel removal but it may also have been from radial stress from excessively tight barrel threads.
Re the third/safety lug. It is possible and in fact, a reasonable idea, to provide a safety lug via the root of the bolt handle when the handle is altered for scope mounting.
The bottom line? The action is inherently fine but like all surplus actions, should be inspected carefully prior to use. GD
I snagged the one off of gunbroker and look forward to running it for a long and happy life. My thought was that I have dies and brass already and I can easily load it to 9.3x57 velocities, which is my plan. I'm thinking moderate loads loads with cheap round nose bullets should make a nice easy packing thumper. Looked into a x57 but brass is spendy.
Hi,

I agree about the suitability of the M96 Swedish action, either German or Swedish manufacture.
And about the two front lugs, actually the left/upper locking lug is LONGER in any of the 91 to 96 Mauser actions than in the M98. And a 3rd or safety lug can be made when forging or soldering the bolt handle for scope clearing. If does low enough it can be made to enter in a corresponding recess made in the right side and just behind the rear bridge. But I also agree it is of no use anyway.

Regards,

PH
© 24hourcampfire