Home
Got a .325 BLR that would make a bitchin' .358 WSM. Ignoring the slender barrel profile for the moment, is there enough meat there in the lands/grooves to get a clean rebore from .325 to .358?

someone has done this in Oz. calls it the 35 sambar. not sure about your barrel

250 gr bullet at 2700 fps
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Got a .325 BLR that would make a bitchin' .358 WSM. Ignoring the slender barrel profile for the moment, is there enough meat there in the lands/grooves to get a clean rebore from .325 to .358?

Yes, the bore should clean up just fine. The problems will come from inadequate barrel wall thickness and/or the construction of the rifle making barrel removal difficult.
If I am not mistaken the reason why they stopped at 8mm with the short mags is because the 33 and 35 cal bullets made the cartridge too long for a short action. Yes, you can always seat the bullet deeper but then you end up with 350 Rem Mag performance.
Just get an "original" short mag - 350 Rem Mag smile
Not a bad thing to be "just" at 350 mag performance though! And I know the rifle will cycle WSM's.....

I think the biggie is going to be whether a re-borer will want to deal with a BLR or not. I don't know how tough they are. The new ones have a barrel extension (I think) much like an AR that the lugs log into... that could be "interesting".

Thanks guys.
Yes, you can always seat the bullet deeper but then you end up with 350 Rem Mag performance.

I get significantly more than 350RM levels in my 350WSM (35 Sambar) - 250s at 2740MV (around 4100 ft.lbs and
a Taylor KO 35) and 310s at 2450. Case capacity over the 350RM is vastly improved and in a shorter case too - my notes on that - http://35cal.com/350wsm.html

Not sure how well it would fare in a BLR. But if it eats 325WSMs then should digest the 358 flavour I guess too. As mentioned, barrel thickness may be a rebore issue - or not(?).
Originally Posted by dedseven
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Yes, the bore should clean up just fine. The problems will come from inadequate barrel wall thickness and/or the construction of the rifle making barrel removal difficult.

Trust me, This guy knows.

Terry
© 24hourcampfire