Home
Posted By: BC30cal Model 70 with Boyd's stock - 04/03/10
Fellow Campfire Members;
I thought that I would put up a couple photos of the Model 70 I just finished for a customer.

I'm not sure which grade of Boyd's blank he purchased, but the photos unfortunately don't do the grain and color justice.

It is a push feed in .300WM and the work done included instaling a Decelerator pad, epoxy/pillar bedding, installing the ebony fore-end tip and grip cap including the maple spacers that he wanted.

He said I could do whatever checkering pattern I wanted, so I made up something I thought would match the lines of the stock. The finish is 12 coats of Tru-Oil.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for looking and Happy Easter to you all.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: Karnis Re: Model 70 with Boyd's stock - 04/03/10
Nicely done.
very nice, i like that alot.

what do you charge for a checkering job like that ?
i am in need of checkering service's.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Model 70 with Boyd's stock - 04/03/10
Nice looking rifle.
Fantastic! nicely done!
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Model 70 with Boyd's stock - 04/03/10
Looks great Dwayne.
Originally Posted by splattermatic
very nice, i like that alot.

what do you charge for a checkering job like that ?

+1
beautiful wood and workmanship....I won't blame you for the white spacers or angled forend tip. wink
Posted By: TXRam Re: Model 70 with Boyd's stock - 04/04/10
I'm with Steve - beautiful stock, nice checkering . . . minus the foreend tip/spacers.
Dwayne,
That looks great. How much work was necessary as far as inletting is concerned? I've always been scared of ordering a Boyd's stock because I think I'd be lost on the inletting. I can bed and finish, but the checkering would be impossible. Obviously you've done it a time or two, where'd you pick that up?

Eric
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Model 70 with Boyd's stock - 04/04/10
Bluedreaux;
Thanks to you and the other members for the kind words, I appreciate them.

The inletting on the Boyd's blank was closer on the action than the last Richard's Microfit that I did and for that matter closer than a couple older Bell and Carlson Carbelites that I've run across. Certainly it was workable with the recoil lug and action screw hole spacing done very well on this one.

The barrel channel was a bit too generous even though this was a magnum barrel contour. I had to lay in a filler strip on one side to have the gap be acceptable.

There was a little bit of fitting required to make the floor plate and trigger guard all work properly, but that was simply setting them both further in and then thinning the stock so the floor plate functioned correctly.

Unless the owner asks for something else, I bed the entire length of the action and about 2�" of the barrel when I bed rifles, as well as bedding the floor plate and trigger guard on the other side. I will usually glue in aluminum sleeves as well to prevent any future crushing, but don't generally have any metal to metal contact.

Checkering is something I started to fool with about 18 years back, doing mainly our own rifles until about 6 years ago. I use Dem-Bart tools mostly, along with 2�X reading glasses and then an opti-visor for the fine work, in conjunction with good directional lighting.

I don't use a cradle, because I've found that as the grain changes it is easier to cut in the opposite direction at times, so I work at a desk covered with a soft towel.

I've also found that I can only checker for an hour and a half at most and then I start to make mistakes.

Anyway Eric, hopefully that was some use to you and thanks again for the kind words. All the best to you and your fine family this Easter.

Regards,
Dwayne
And to your family as well Dwayne. I bedded my son's rifle last night. I'm still at the point that the smell of acra-glass scares me. No disasters yet...yet...
Posted By: sjr Re: Model 70 with Boyd's stock - 04/10/10
Great work and very nice checkering not work bad for a old Sask farm boy
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Model 70 with Boyd's stock - 04/10/10
Not a fan of wood, but am a big fan of craftmanship. Nice looking stick.
© 24hourcampfire