Home
How much would I expect to pay to have a Winchester M70-style three position safety installed on a Mauser action such as an FN or CZ?

Thanks, RS
I have two so equipped, but it has been a while since I did one. Whatever the cost this is a neccesary and much preffered upgrade in my view, I think it will run you about $150-250 depending on WHICH 3 position safety is used (Gentry, LaPour, NECG, Brownells) and what your gunsmith charges for the install. My CZ550 MAgnum has an Ed LaPour unit that he installed and my FN has a Gentry installed by Jim rector of LaGrande Oregon.
You can pick up a Chapman or Wisner that require a little extra machining that will cost you around $30 plus an hour or so of your smith's time. The guy who does my work would probably charge around 75 bucks plus parts.
Originally Posted by safariman
I think it will run you about $150-250 depending on WHICH 3 position safety is used (Gentry, LaPour, NECG, Brownells) and what your gunsmith charges for the install.

Any preference in the aforementioned safeties? The action in question is an FN (JC Higgins).

I've had good luck with NECG in the past, but haven't used their safeties.

thx
I run 2 position side swing safeties on 98's, not sure what the bloody attraction to 3 position is.
If You are intent on the three position ones, steer clear of the Gentry and Dakota. They have timing problems and are a bear to install. I offer the two postion ones for $105.

Jim
I prefer a three position safety that locks the bolt, allows a hot chamber to to unloaded on safe along with testing ammo on safe. The M70 design that also controls the firing pin is superior to just a trigger safety.

The old style safety thats only two position that many mauser sporters came with like the Higgins are difficult to work by a right hander, click with noise when let off with just the thumb and of course don't control anything unloading a hot chamber.

I have had some 'mausers' converted to the M70 style three position. They are Dakotas. They work well but not as smooth as a Kimbers. My local smith installed them. Sure it costs some but it brings a nice rifle up to speed.

[Linked Image]
A two position side swing safety locks the bolt, but you can't work the action with the safety on. Don't see that as any big issue.
I've used most of them. Once installed there is very little difference in any of the 3-postion safeties other than looks. The installation is the determining factor as to how smooth it is. Most gunsmiths charge between $75-$100 to install one. As to which one to buy. My advice is to find a gunsmith first, then buy the safety he recommends. Some Smiths prefer to work with a particular brand more than others.

I've had more Dakota safeties installed than any other brand and have been very happy with them. The one Gentry I own has been perfect from day one. Gentry will also install what they sell.

I think the nicest looking one I've ever used was a Stuart Satterlee model. It holds the original lines of the M98 bolt shroud but still has a nice custom look to it.
[Linked Image]

Terry
And it locks the firing pin as well!

When I unload a chamber that has a live round in it I prefer a M70 type safety. To each his own.

True my double barrel shotguns, 99's nor the falling block rifles have it. I just like the M70 design and the Kimber has the smoothest version.

[Linked Image]
Savage99, it's all about how the safety is timed. If the safety on your Mauser isn't as smooth it has more to do with the installation than the safety itself. I've felt "notchy" feeling safeties on M70's, Kimber's, M98's and Ruger MKII's (with aftermarket trigger's.) I've also experienced the same models with safeties that where very smooth. It's about the install, not the rifle brand.

Terry
There are a lot of old M70's here along with Dakotas on mausers along with Kimbers. Perhaps its Winchester and the smiths?

However none work as easy, quiet or smooth as the Kimbers.

[Linked Image]
That's because none are timed as well as the particular Kimber you own. All could/can be just as smooth.

These M70 style safeties have a small cam on the inside. This cam engages the cocking piece and has to move it back ever so slightly to hold it off the sear. The angle at which the cam on the safety meets the cocking piece are cut by the installer, This cut also determines how far the cocking piece is pushed off the sear. These all determine how smooth the safety is, going from fire to safe. Also, there is a pin that slides out of the inside of the safety shroud that locks the bolt when the safety is all the way back. If the channel in the bolt body isn't cut right, this can cause problems too and will affect the smoothness of the finished product.

If you took every safety you owned off the rifle they will all feel the same when you operate them. When installed they all feel different. It's because the different feel comes from the contact with other parts and how they mesh together. Installation is a MAJOR factor in the finished product.

Terry
Installation could be a major factor of course however dozens of pre 64 post war M70s all operate somewhat stiff and this includes many others that I have operated.

Also all of the aftermarket ones on mausers are not that easy.

A factor may be that the Kimbers parts and spring are not as heavy? The Kimbers operate much easier.

How can it be that all of these pre 64 M70's are somewhat stiff and rough and the Kimbers are smooth? Installation?, Workmanship? I don't think so but then I never installed one.

In any case I still prefer the M70 design.
I looked over the Kimbers here and the 8400 has a larger safety than the 84M. In fact its size and operation are closer to a M70 than the 84M.

Its the 84M's safety on its much smaller action thats so easy to use. Also the top corner of its safety has its edge rounded so it does not dig into my thumb like the M70 and Dakotas.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Installation could be a major factor of course however dozens of pre 64 post war M70s all operate somewhat stiff and this includes many others that I have operated.

Also all of the aftermarket ones on mausers are not that easy.

A factor may be that the Kimbers parts and spring are not as heavy? The Kimbers operate much easier.

How can it be that all of these pre 64 M70's are somewhat stiff and rough and the Kimbers are smooth? Installation?, Workmanship? I don't think so but then I never installed one.

In any case I still prefer the M70 design.

No, it's because they aren't timed properly. The M70's can be made every bit as smooth as your Kimber. Same with the mausers. Not all Kimbers are smooth. It's not the shape it's the fit.

Terry
Rip,

Some place around here, I have a new Ed LaPour 3 postion safety for a CZ 550.....If interested, I'll look for it and make you a good deal.....

Vern
I'm looking for one for an FN (JC Higgins) if anyone has one on hand.

Do you have a Kimber 84M? Do you have a M70?
Do you have a Kimber 84M? Do you have a M70?

Yes, I have owned both. I still own a M70 but not a Kimber at this time.

Why?

Terry
Ask Don if he has an IQ past 73, that will get him wondering.
His age and IQ go up at the same rate... Another 20 years and he'll break 100.
There are a lot of keyboard experts here. Listen to what Terry says, he does have the experience.
Butch
Costs will run you about $50 to $75 for installation...You can buy them from Brownells..They run $109 wholesale last I checked..

Add to TCIs post that when the u notch is cut in the cocking piece, many smiths do not reharden the notch, and they have cut through the case hardening..heat in cherry red and quinch it then polish it..that will add greatly to the smoothness of the 3 pos. safety. You can get a pretty nice feeling safety by simply following the directions and cutting the angles correctly.
Originally Posted by TC1

I've had more Dakota safeties installed than any other brand and have been very happy with them.

+1

I put Dakotas on 2 that I've built with perfect results & performance; also never had a problem on a factory Dakota or Winchester.

The Dakotas do need a mill & a little machining capability to put on, but once they are done right there's no problem.

MM
SUPERCUB,

My lone FN, which came with the ubiqutous two position side swing safety now has a Gentry and I could not be more pleased with it. I did have a GOOD gunsmith, the same guy Ross Seyfried uses, install it (Jim Rector in LaGrande Oregon) so this is probably why the excellent results. My other conversion is my CZ550 with an Ed LaPour Safety but, again the installation was done by Ed LaPour himself so it is right X 10. This is on my serious DGR so I was needing to be sure it was done right.

+1, with enthusiasm, on the encouragement to get it done right by a good gunsmith whichever unit you buy. Good luck.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
A two position side swing safety locks the bolt, but you can't work the action with the safety on. Don't see that as any big issue.

Maybe not to you.

I like 3 position safeties. I grew up with pre-64 model 70's.
I want my Mauser to work the same way.

No safety is a substitute for safe gun handling.
Originally Posted by TC1
I've used most of them. Once installed there is very little difference in any of the 3-postion safeties other than looks. The installation is the determining factor as to how smooth it is. Most gunsmiths charge between $75-$100 to install one. As to which one to buy. My advice is to find a gunsmith first, then buy the safety he recommends. Some Smiths prefer to work with a particular brand more than others.

I've had more Dakota safeties installed than any other brand and have been very happy with them. The one Gentry I own has been perfect from day one. Gentry will also install what they sell.

I think the nicest looking one I've ever used was a Stuart Satterlee model. It holds the original lines of the M98 bolt shroud but still has a nice custom look to it.
[Linked Image]

Terry

Stu every time, makes a great safety. The only one I have now is a left sided one, and it's the bees knees.
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs

Maybe not to you.

I like 3 position safeties. I grew up with pre-64 model 70's.
I want my Mauser to work the same way.

No safety is a substitute for safe gun handling.

Who the [bleep] else would I be talking about when giving my opinion, my Aunt Ethel's........

Guessing you drive the same car as your very first, cuzz Christ now's that's a tough transition also.
Originally Posted by safariman
SUPERCUB,

My lone FN, which came with the ubiqutous two position side swing safety now has a Gentry and I could not be more pleased with it. I did have a GOOD gunsmith, the same guy Ross Seyfried uses, install it (Jim Rector in LaGrande Oregon) so this is probably why the excellent results. My other conversion is my CZ550 with an Ed LaPour Safety but, again the installation was done by Ed LaPour himself so it is right X 10. This is on my serious DGR so I was needing to be sure it was done right.

+1, with enthusiasm, on the encouragement to get it done right by a good gunsmith whichever unit you buy. Good luck.

Thanks ....

You are most welcome.
I have a Gentry on a mauser that is a little sticky. I also have an Ed Lapour on a Springfield that is like grease. Smooth and easy. The last Mauser I did also got a Lapour. It is also very nice.

Fast Ed
I have a Vz 24 I’m needing to get a 2 position safety for. I can be contacted at 918 521-1899 or if anyone has a contact number for anyone that does it
How did this get new life after 8 years??? I have a few of the two position ones left and I use the best of the three position ones, the LaPour. Email me for info if interested: [email protected]
I specified a three position safety on a custom Interarms Mark X Mauser build a couple of years ago, but did not specify which one. My gunsmith used the Gentry safety, and charged me $175 for the safety and installation. I really like it.
My smith put the Dakota safety on my 7x57. Works like a charm, and looks great.
I've used several of the Dakota versions, but the LaPour is excellent as well.

Never used the Gentry but they fine from the ones I've seen.

MM
Originally Posted by mudhen
I specified a three position safety on a custom Interarms Mark X Mauser build a couple of years ago, but did not specify which one. My gunsmith used the Gentry safety, and charged me $175 for the safety and installation. I really like it.

Hope nobody thinks that is the going rate. Currently Gentry safety costs pretty close to $200. And we all know gunsmithing time is free.
Does your gunsmith do this for a living?
With the timing issue of the Gentry's that keeps popping up, it is too risky and too expensive to go with a them when you can go first class with Ed Lapour's.
Has the problem with the Gentry safeties always been there? I ask because of having three on Mauser-actioned rifles, with never a problem, but mine were all made and installed by Dave himself. He passed away a little over a decade ago.
Originally Posted by JRGunmaker

Hope nobody thinks that is the going rate. Currently Gentry safety costs pretty close to $200. And we all know gunsmithing time is free.

As a matter of fact, he did make a nice living at it for over 40 years. He retired late last year, much to my sorrow, although he did tell me that he will still build rifles for people he likes. smirk

And he is rebarreling a rifle for me as I write this.
I've installed several Dakota three position safetys on VZ-24 actions.....and always in conjunction with a Timney trigger. Yes, there have been some difficulties but I have always got them to work and quite nicely.

I've had Jim Kobe install a Wisner two position safety and it too works quite well.....but the two position safety does not allow me to open the action while the rifle is still on safety. This is the only reason to make the converson IMO.....a two position safety can be had from Brownells for a whole lot less than any of the M-70 type safetys.
I have 2 swing safety's on my Mauser builds, a PTG, and a Wisner safety.
I love the PTG because it's a 3 position safety that allows unloading a live round from chamber while still blocking firingpin.
The Wisner and it's shroud was machined by another fella, and I installed it on a Turk Mauser chambered in 6.506, it still needs some smoothing out because it lifts cocking piece back a tad far, which isn't necessary.
The PTG cost 150.00 I believe and the Wisner was around 75.00.....
I have handled post 64 M70s with sticky safeties, but on every pre 64 M70 I have handled the safety was smooth.
Anything one can do to smooth up a post 64 three position safety?

"When the argument is lost insults become the tool of the loser."
Socrates

"When the argument is lost insults become the tool of the loser."
Socrates

Luckily, you ain't Socrates, just a dumbf&ck.
Steelhead,

You remain on ignore because your rude, profane posts spoil this forum.

Most of us are here to enjoy talking about hunting or our guns. You reduce that enjoyment by your disgusting behavior. You could please try to improve.

Thank you
Originally Posted by Jkob
How did this get new life after 8 years??? I have a few of the two position ones left and I use the best of the three position ones, the LaPour. Email me for info if interested: [email protected]

PM sent ......
Steelhead,

You remain on ignore because your rude, profane posts spoil this forum.

Most of us are here to enjoy talking about hunting or our guns. You reduce that enjoyment by your disgusting behavior. You could please try to improve.

Thank you

Then how to you know what I typed you dumbphuck?

Dumb Don, it's time to start pushing daisy's.
I run 2 position side swing safeties on 98's, not sure what the bloody attraction to 3 position is.

+ 1
I specified a three position safety on a custom Interarms Mark X Mauser build a couple of years ago, but did not specify which one.
My gunsmith used the Gentry safety, and charged me $175 for the safety and installation. I really like it.

How about you charge what you want and let others charge what they want?......probably best if you just tell CF readers your price.
Originally Posted by Starman
I specified a three position safety on a custom Interarms Mark X Mauser build a couple of years ago, but did not specify which one.
My gunsmith used the Gentry safety, and charged me $175 for the safety and installation. I really like it.

How about you charge what you want and let others charge what they want?......probably best if you just tell CF readers your price.

I stand by my comment.
On Brownells,retail price is now $279. Dealer is north of $260.+gotta pay for shipping. Do you really think people reading this thread should be able to find a gunsmith to sell and install one for $175?

Not at current prices.
Again, I stand by my post.
Originally Posted by Starman

I stand by my comment.
On Brownells,retail price is now $279. Dealer is north of $260.+gotta pay for shipping. Do you really think people reading this thread should be able to find a gunsmith to sell and install one for $175?

Not at current prices.
Again, I stand by my post.

Kinda like the guys that come into my shop. After whining a lot, they say they would do it their self, but don't have the right tools,SURE!! I have a good plumber, electrician, and carpenter. They do great work and I don't whine about.
A Gantry safety?? Not on my rifles!
© 24hourcampfire