Home

HTG in Sand Camo. I dropped the 5r in it with the Williams bottom metal and it all fit perfectly! Ready to hit the sandy fields in West Texas now!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks like that will work.

Nice
Nice,what caliber?
5r on a short action is likely a 308.

Correct. Standard .308 5r. I know it's not custom, but the McMillan stocks usually get shown off in this forum.

If it ever stops raining, I'll try it out on some steel plates at various ranges.

What was your wait time? Got a couple I can't wait to receive, but I'm only about a month in on them...
It's as custom as my restocked LVSF. grin

Got any cartridges rolled for it yet?
Looks good!
No offense to you sir, but McMillan camo always looks like some 1st grader hand painted it.
Uncledopey shut your mouth!

All you do is rag on Mcmillans and people who own em.

Why dont you get a life and quit being a whiney peon.
NO! I love McMillans I think they are a great stock, especially the EDGE technology, It just amazes me how there solid colors can look GREAT and the "swirly" colors so ugly, and their camo colors look so juvenile and poorly hand painted with their rough edges, like someone coloring outside the lines in a coloring book. AND, I have never ragged on ANYONE who owns one, just the ugly stocks themselves, oh yeah you're right, I did compare steelhead's Ugly picture, uh.. I mean his ugly rifle to his picture. so that being said, why don't you shut your mouth.. oh yeah, I forgot this is Tom's 24hour campfire so you better not disagree with him or have your own tastes or opinions, because little Tommy might get mad!
No stupid! I'm getting sick and tired of you stupid little comments about peoples stocks....if you dont like em keep your frigging mouth shut!
.........hmmmm..last time I checked, the 1st amendment was still in place. You do believe in freedom of speech, right Mr.264? Why would you ever want to silence someone because of their speech? You do believe in individual freedoms, right? - You are acting very UN-AMERICAN. Please check yourself sir.
Heres an example.

Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
EGAD!

Yikes! nothin' like matching your rifle to the shooter!

Did this gunsmith mention how frickin' ugly McSwirlys are???

Carnivore ??? - with that purple stock, maybe you should have named it Barney-vore!

Well alright, my thanks goes out to all those who took part in this thread that gave their honest opinion, one way or the other on whether or not they liked the looks of the Mcswirly. Good to know that there are others who don't like them. To those dunderheads who can't accept an honest question or are to befuddled to comprehend "why this thread is even necessary", I wish you well and only hope that your own shortcomings and insecurities can be overcome so as, to not make this forum so unfriendly. God bless you all, Uncle Soapy.

I'm certainly not knocking the quality of the stock, but c'mon, as one poster described it - they look like a melted down bowling ball! I know to each his own, that's fine, but does anyone else, if you get past the name and reputation, look at it and say "man that is ugly" - and GAP camo?? - makes me want to puke! I would love to have a McMillan some day, but if my two choices were swirly or GAP - I think I would have to pass, make mine painted please!

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO HATES HOW A "MC SWIRLY" LOOKS?

Just a few from our resident Swirly hater...

Carry on.......
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
What was your wait time? Got a couple I can't wait to receive, but I'm only about a month in on them...

I know. It kills me, too. I'm waiting on another that I ordered in March for a true custom 223AI.

Sand camo was ordered 1/26. So a little over 2-1/2 months?? Not too bad.

Ah yes, The 1st amendment in action, thank you sir for posting those beautiful quotes. I can almost smell the freedom! p.s. Thanks, I didn't know you were such a fan of my writings. Oh and Tom, deep down I know you are a good American and a closet fan of Unclesoapy........and Tom............I like you to, good night my friend!
Originally Posted by mathman
It's as custom as my restocked LVSF. grin

Got any cartridges rolled for it yet?

I do have some M118LR loads that I loaded up with IMR4895. Supposed to rain all day Saturday. Hopefully it will clear up on Sunday.

Just a few more specs:

It's got a Jewell trigger, Badger base, Badger rings, and Leupold MKIV 10X M3 with mil-dot. A local gunsmith went over the 5r - scoped the bore and disassembled the bolt. Everything was in order. Can't wait to wring it out.

The part you dont seem to get through your thick skull is that yes people have different opinions....knowing when to keep your mouth shut is the key.

257heavan just got a new stock for himself and hes proud of it....jerkoffs like you come along and voice your meaningless opinions that dont have nothing to contribute to the thread.

I know your type....jealous about what others have and because of that you have to make yourelf bigger and them smaller..

Its not working.

1st amandment...yes... Idiots opinion....no!
and their camo colors look so juvenile and poorly hand painted with their rough edges, like someone coloring outside the lines in a coloring book.

Not sure how they do it, but they're not painted. I'd like to see how the gel coat swirls and camo patterns are done. And you know what?? I don't think the lines in mother nature are perfect, either. Seems like these stocks blend in pretty well. If they're good enough to use in Iraq and Afghanistan and good enough to use in Viet Nam, jungles, etc......they're good enough for me.

If you don't like the jagged lines, you can get a solid McMillan and have somebody cerakote it camo for you. But you probably already know that. To each his own, I guess. But some of my favorite McMillan camo is the smear pattern USMC return stocks from the old M40A1 sniper rifles. I don't think anybody could recreate that with a paintbrush.

257, I like it lots.

Of course Soapy might not like it if Swirley fan got on, searched all of his posts and just schit on every one of them....

"Well, he wants it, he gets it".....
Thank you Mr.257 for understanding that I was not attacking you or your stock personally, just upset that Mcmillan can't make it look better for the amount of money that they cost. I truly hope that you are happy with it and I'm sure you are, I wish Tommy could communicate as effectively and calmly as you do, I think he might have had some issues earlier in life, but he's a good guy. Good luck to you sir and have fun with that new rig! Unclesoapy.

Thanks. I don't think camo looks right with exact and straight lines anyway. Definitely blends in better with the surroundings like they do them. I wouldn't have it any other way!

No offense to you sir, but McMillan camo always looks like some 1st grader hand painted it.

Soapy.....Why don't you show us some of your custom stocks?????? I'd love to see what you have.

Soapy has factory stocks at this point, but I am saving for a McMillan EDGE for my Model 7 - 7mm-08 Thinking black or olive. I considered going with an H-S, but decided that the McMillan would be worth it in the long run.

I've got an Edge in Olive (because they don't come in camo) that looks fantastic. Have it on a 6mm-250 right now, but it's destined to go on a 257AI when the barrel comes in. Great stocks. Mine is in Mtn Rifle config.

Not very Christian like Tom, you'll pay in the end. Prayers sent for your salvation.
Sweet looking stock. Seen a bunch of cool looking Mickeys on this forum...and one ugly one...belonged to a miniature troll from Alaska grin. I just cant warm up to the feel of em. But you guys keep ordering cool looking stocks and I'll keep enjoying looking at them.
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I know. It kills me, too. I'm waiting on another that I ordered in March for a true custom 223AI.

I ordered one on 12/13 and still waiting.
257heaven,

What is the smear camo you speak of? Anybody have a pic? I don't own a McMillan, but I love looking at all the different varieties and colors.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Not very Christian like Tom, you'll pay in the end. Prayers sent for your salvation.
Whatever you say Satans seed..........

Prayers sent. Tough seeing a man running so hard towards hell and I hope you change your evil ways before it's too late.
Whats your problem with Christian people anyway?

You speak highly of your father but not so much of your mother....was she a Christian?
I don't have a problem with Christian people, I have a problem with self-righteous idiots.

All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags. (Isaiah 64:6)

Fact of the matter is...we are STILL human, we are gonna make mistakes and get certain people mad...its life.

If we were perfect (we may strive to be but on this earth will never be) we would not be here.

I have NEVER seen a perfect Christian, only 1 is prefect and it is Jesus.

If you really knew what the whole ordeal was about life and creation you would be singing a different tune...
I guess what I'm getting at Scott is that I'm not perfect and never claimed to be, but so as not to ruin 257's thread any further...if you desire take this to a PM.
Keep stroking your uncle with the soap until you get a Mcmillan.

We all understand the 1st amendment, but show some respect to one's custom. All rifles are good looking thru my eye's. Nice weapon 257heaven.
Believe it or not, these stocks are actually done by grown men not 1st graders. The camo is blotchy and not straight to help break up straight lines so it doesn't appear like a rifle.

That being said, there are many people who do not like the camo or marble finishes. Thats why we offer painted solid colors.

Sweet stick 257heaven.
Originally Posted by 264guy
257heaven,

What is the smear camo you speak of? Anybody have a pic? I don't own a McMillan, but I love looking at all the different varieties and colors.

I'm guessing McMillan doesn't make this type of pattern any longer. These old stocks came off of M40A1 rifles that were re-stocked. McMillan sells them every once in awhile. Most of them sell second-hand for $1000 and up. Most have US bottom metal, some matching. They come with a certificate from McMillan certifying that they are original M40A1 stocks. There are better examples out there....these are just some I found. Keep in mind that they were well-used by the military and far from safe queens.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I ordered one on 12/13 and still waiting.

Did you order it through the campfire....through Rick?? If you did, you might get him to check on it for you.

Originally Posted by ShootToWin
Believe it or not, these stocks are actually done by grown men not 1st graders. The camo is blotchy and not straight to help break up straight lines so it doesn't appear like a rifle.

That being said, there are many people who do not like the camo or marble finishes. Thats why we offer painted solid colors.

Sweet stick 257heaven.

Ryan....can you guys still do a smear pattern to duplicate the old M40A1 stocks??

We could probably come close to that smear pattern again. However, then we are running into the problem of what stocks are authentic M40A1's and which ones are duplicates. I'm not sure we are going to go down that road yet.
I can kinda' see that, but to me that's why McMillan issued the certificates. If you don't have a certificate, then it's a $450 or so stock. But that would be a cool way to get some more guys interested in M40A1 repro rifles.....by making them more affordable. Maybe they could be marked somehow to show that it's a repo??????

I do have some M118LR loads that I loaded up with IMR4895.

Those should do nicely. I used to shoot a variation on that theme with 42.2 IMR4895, Lapua brass and the 178 AMax.

Since I came into a cache of M852 match ammo I've been reloading it by either duping the M852 load or substituting the M1A favorite of 41.5 grains of H4895 under the same 168 grain match bullet. The latter has light recoil and shoots small clusters out of my 700 VTR.
Hi Ryan,

Have you guys concidered doing a "paint" version of your standard camo gell patterns?

I would love to have a painted version of your standard woodland cammo pattern.

GB
Originally Posted by ShootToWin
We could probably come close to that smear pattern again. However, then we are running into the problem of what stocks are authentic M40A1's and which ones are duplicates. I'm not sure we are going to go down that road yet.

You can have your cake and eat it too. Mark the inside of the stock somehow to ID the "imposter". Seems easy enough, no?
Hello GB,

We actually used to do custom camo paint jobs but with the amount of custom stocks we do now, camo paint jobs were taking up too much time and not cost effective for us anymore.

Karnis,

We've thought of marking the stocks but fiberglass sands pretty easily. It wouldn't take much to remove any marking. I'll discuss it with the "higher ups" and see what we can do.
I come up with a good workable idea I get a free stock? grin
if i come up with the idea i'm just hoping i can get a free stock! smile
Lol...
You should both check out my sale. smile
© 24hourcampfire