Home
I'm a big 8mm mag fan and I'm finally doing a custom. I picked up a LH stainless Montana Rifle Co action here in the classifieds and a #4 contour stainless 8mm blank from MRC. I found an HS Precision stock with bedding block for a LH Win 70. While those two actions look the same and the hole spacing is the same, the MRC action is a lot beefier. Whew! I spent hours inletting the HS stock for the MRC action but now the action and bottom metal slip in and out freely and the action doesn't move when I tighten the screws.

The action and blank have been sent out to Kevin Cram of Montour County Rifles for chambering and installing. Kevin is a great guy who does top notch work. Here is his web address: www.mcrifles.com . I'll bed the action to the stock when it comes back.

I'm going to shoot the 220 gr Sierra Gameking, it ought to be serious elk medicine. Can't wait to shoot it!

Attached picture 8mm mag action stock.JPG
Always kind of wanted an 8mm RM.
I used a HS Precision Left Hand Model 70 Stock for my Montana in 264 and only had to rework the bottom metal for it to work. The 8mm Rem Mag is a great long range hunting cartridge
I have had one for a long time the first was a BDL the second a Classic. Bought the classic on a very good deal and found it shot much better than the BDL (the BDL became a 264). I push 220 Hornady Interlocks (now discontinued) with 84 grains of RL-25 for 3022 fps. Work up carefully. The load was listed by Alliant on their web sight but 8mm mag data has now been removed from their sight. It will put elk on the ground with plenty of authority. I had a load with 220 Swift A-frames and RL-25 I believe it was 82 grains but I do not use the Swifts any longer neither me nor the elk can not tell any difference between the Swifts and the Hornadys.

8mmwapiti
Originally Posted by sambo3006
I'm a big 8mm mag fan and I'm finally doing a custom. I picked up a LH stainless Montana Rifle Co action here in the classifieds and a #4 contour stainless 8mm blank from MRC. I found an HS Precision stock with bedding block for a LH Win 70. While those two actions look the same and the hole spacing is the same, the MRC action is a lot beefier. Whew! I spent hours inletting the HS stock for the MRC action but now the action and bottom metal slip in and out freely and the action doesn't move when I tighten the screws.

The action and blank have been sent out to Kevin Cram of Montour County Rifles for chambering and installing. Kevin is a great guy who does top notch work. Here is his web address: www.mcrifles.com . I'll bed the action to the stock when it comes back.

I'm going to shoot the 220 gr Sierra Gameking, it ought to be serious elk medicine. Can't wait to shoot it

...the reason I built a .340 Wby; the 8 mm&m should work virtually the same..
I love mine.....its pretty versatile and accurate with light loads of RL22 as well as stout loads of Ramshot Magnum with a TSX.
Sweet project; 8RM has HUGE cool factor.

I hope she shoots well for you,

efw
Awesome,I like the 8mm rem mag!
A LH 8mmRM is one of my bucket list rifles.

Very interested in seeing this rifle finished.
i have one in a 700 classic and it is a handful off the bench with 200gr accubonds and a max charge of rl22
I had mine out at the range yesterday, for the first time in several years. It's an old BDL I swapped into a Classic stock.

1st shot - Rem Safari 200 gr Factory Load ~2850 fps. "Hey, that's not as bad a kick as I remember"

Next - 200 gr Nosler Partition - Retumbo - also 2850 fps. "Hey, this is okay"

next 200 gr Accubonds, Reloader 25 - 3000 fps. "crap, that's what I remember". crazy

My sense is Retumbo is a little too slow for it, although it shot okay and wasn't a compressed load. Rel 25 I can go up another couple grains, so 3050-3100 fps ought to be achievable. I will let my shoulder heal some, it's a bit tender today grin
There is a definite increase in recoil with loads above 2900 fps.......quite noticable. That's why I never chronie them.
yeah asoon as them 200gr bullets hit above 3000 it starts to ratel your teeth when i first got the 8rm i was using 90gr of h1ooo it wasnt bad at all then i started with the 200 gr and rl22 and got a scope cut
This one ought to be a decent weight, probably 9 lbs+ w/scope. Should soak up recoil fairly well. Guess I'll find out when I get it back and head to the range. grin frown eek
hey sam, i just saw this post. sounds like a good project for the action. will be looking for pics when done.

good luck!

Jeff
Mine goes about 8#. Factory 700 Classic in a Mcmillan MR with magnum fill, Talley LW's and Leupold 4x28. Full house loads aren't nearly as bad as my Vanguard 300 win mag in a Sako Classic Edge. That thing is brutal.....
Will do, Jeff!
MRC swapped out the bolt stop, mag box, follower and ejector for me, having the gunsmith open up the bolt face.
sweet sam! cant wait to see her.
© 24hourcampfire