Home
Posted By: NMpistolero Favorite bullet in 6x45??? - 05/10/10
I'm thinking about building a 6x45 on a short rem 700. I know there are a lot of 6x45 fans here so I was wondering what bullet you guys like. This will be mainly a coyote rifle with maybe the occasional youth hunter using it to shoot something. I'm kinda leanin to the 87 grain v-max. My tentative blueprint will be a #5 twisted 1/9" pacnor stainless cut and crowned at 21" in laminated vls stock. Let me know what you think!!
Posted By: 65BR Re: Favorite bullet in 6x45??? - 05/11/10
Would work well. Don't overlook the 70gr TNT. You can expect 2900-3000 w/87s, and 3200 w/70s.

Had a TCU....aka 6x45 AI, 21" 12twist, did ok up thru 85 BTHP, but preferred 70s in the slower twist. You will do well w/9 Twist in that round, should handle thru 100s fine.

FYI, H335 and AA2015BR worked well in mine.
Posted By: GregW Re: Favorite bullet in 6x45??? - 05/11/10
I have been running one through the gauntlet almost identical to your components above. 1:9, 21" on a Howa action.

I got no where near the speeds 65BR is quoting.

I did 2900 with a 75 Vmax, 2700 to 2800 with the various 80 grain soft point offerings as well as the Sierra 85 GK, and 2850 with the 70 Nosler. The 70 Nosler has a larger bearing surface which is why the 75 Vmax went faster I think.

I got 2750 with the 80 TTSX as well.

I tried each bullet with H4895, H335, and Ramshot TAC. My rifle is long throated so on top of the speeds I got, I was able to seat the bullets as far out as 2.52" to maximize powder capacity and still got the speeds listed above.

I settled on a 80 grain Remington SP at 2800 for my all around load with H4895. The 75 Sierra HP is a very tough bullet at 6x45 velocities.

If I was strictly after varmints, the 75 Vmax at 2900 would get the nod.

Send me a PM and I can get you some extensive load data for the 6x45.
Posted By: erich Re: Favorite bullet in 6x45??? - 05/11/10
I use mine as a coyote gun exclusively and run 55gr NBT's and BK's.

Here's a link to more load data.

http://buckammo.com/Images/6x45_loaddata_1_1.pdf

erich
That's the info I would have emailed the OP...

Thanks Erich.

What velocities are you getting with 55's and what's your barrel length?

Appreciate it fellas! Greg, how explosive was the 75 V-max at those velocities? Did it tear dogs up bad?
I didn't shoot a coyote with the 75 Vmax. Sorry. The 75 Sierra HP will most likely pass through a coyote. I've shot about 8 of them with it and they've all passed through. I've shot a few with it and cannot keep this bullet in a deer either. The 75 Sierra HP would be a good all around bullet IMHO. It is accurate and cheap as well.

Are you trying to save fur? If so, I'd go lighter than the 75...

For killing, I'd go 75 for sure. It was a very accurate bullet for me with all three powders at about 2.48"...
My 6x45 has a 21" 1:9 twist barrel as well and loves 95gr. Berger VLD (hunting) with H322.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Favorite bullet in 6x45??? - 05/12/10
Could be pressures spike quicker in 9 ROT vs. the 12" I had....what speeds do you see, if you have clocked them?

BTW, I believe I used commercial brass for more capacity and speed. Greg, you running mil surp?
Posted By: RinB Re: Favorite bullet in 6x45??? - 05/12/10
I have a PH buddy in RSA who has used his with 85 grain Nosler Ptn's with good success on impala and warthogs. He also likes the barnes x I think either 80 or 85 grain. He has knocked over a few kudu with those. He likes to loan the rifle to kids and lady hunters who usually get better results than their spouses/dads.
Posted By: GregW Re: Favorite bullet in 6x45??? - 05/12/10
Originally Posted by 65BR
Could be pressures spike quicker in 9 ROT vs. the 12" I had....what speeds do you see, if you have clocked them?

BTW, I believe I used commercial brass for more capacity and speed. Greg, you running mil surp?

I'm running R-P...

Think it might be something to do with the longer throat?
Appreciate all the info guys! I think it's a really neat cartidge and with Black hills supposedly starting to load for it maybe we'll see it make it to factory status. to me it's alot better than all the copy cat rounds that everyone is coming up with...but what do I know.Thanks again!

Jared
Saw recently on Sniper Hide that Corbon is set to come out with 4 factory loadings as well
Posted By: 65BR Re: Favorite bullet in 6x45??? - 05/13/10
Greg, may be - throating does affect pressure/speed, no doubt.

If this round came out during the time the 223 did, it would be interesting to see where things would be today, i.e. favorite twist, weights, etc. as no doubt it provides more mass than a 22 cal, and works in AR platforms as well.
Posted By: GregW Re: Favorite bullet in 6x45??? - 05/13/10
65BR,

I might have just had in my head a number I was trying to get to that was a little too optimistic.

2800 with an 80 grainer from a 21" tube for a non AI'd .223 parent case is not too shabby...
Posted By: 65BR Re: Favorite bullet in 6x45??? - 05/13/10
Not at all, doubt the AI/TCU version gets that much more, very little diff in capacity. 2800 or 3k, either will get it done on varmints thru deer w/placement. 200 fps either way won't change the outcome IMHO.

They are neat lil 6s just as Layne Simpson wrote about long ago, I wanted one after reading his 'little 6s' article. Good stuff on the PPC/BR/x45/TCU, etc. I think Fadala had a 21" or so in 6/222, using BLC IIRC, he claimed 3k if not mistaken, but I'd be he was twisted slower, 12 perhaps. Not sure if a 14 would do for an 80, even FB. Perhaps. The 85BTHP was at the upper limit in my 12 for stability/accuracy. I'd build nothing but an 8-10 ROT if I did another. I never want my twist to limit my options.
Posted By: wtroger Re: Favorite bullet in 6x45??? - 05/14/10
I am shooting the 58gr Hornady Vmax using Imr4198 getting 3400 FPS. I built it on a mini Mark X action. About as accurate a rifle as I own.
Posted By: DMB Re: Favorite bullet in 6x45??? - 05/14/10
Have a barrel here to bore out to 6mm for either a 6x45, or a 6x47. I had a 6x47 40 years ago in a benchrest rifle configuration, 10.5 pound weight class.
It had a 1-12" twist and I used 70 grain bullets of the day with 748 Powder and got excellent accuracy.
Not sure I'll go fast twist with the next one. I'm a slow twist fan, so 1-12" sounds good again, with 68 gn bullets available from the benchrest shooters making them.
I kind of hated having the 6mm PPC come on line as I sold the 6x47 and bought the PPC, and I did love that 6x47.
Today, I could go either way, 6x45 or 6x47. Case capacities are close to each other.
Posted By: GregW Re: Favorite bullet in 6x45??? - 05/14/10
Originally Posted by 65BR
Not at all, doubt the AI/TCU version gets that much more, very little diff in capacity. 2800 or 3k, either will get it done on varmints thru deer w/placement. 200 fps either way won't change the outcome IMHO.

They are neat lil 6s just as Layne Simpson wrote about long ago, I wanted one after reading his 'little 6s' article. Good stuff on the PPC/BR/x45/TCU, etc. I think Fadala had a 21" or so in 6/222, using BLC IIRC, he claimed 3k if not mistaken, but I'd be he was twisted slower, 12 perhaps. Not sure if a 14 would do for an 80, even FB. Perhaps. The 85BTHP was at the upper limit in my 12 for stability/accuracy. I'd build nothing but an 8-10 ROT if I did another. I never want my twist to limit my options.

I got the 85 Sierra GK to 2800 as well.

It sure is fun to shoot though and burns 26.0 grains of powder to get 2800.

Thanks for the thoughts...
Posted By: 65BR Re: Favorite bullet in 6x45??? - 05/15/10
What I loved about my TCU, it was SO mild in report and recoil, and very little muzzle lift. Should have been a Saami, just like the BR IMHO, they were never mass produced in production run rifles, which was good for the custom barrel companies and smith's.
Jared,

Forgot to mention that besides the 95gr. VLD, if I want to load for the rather meager magazine OAL on my little Sako action, I reach for Sierra's 80gr. SSPB (Single Shot Pistol Bullet). It's a flat base, soft point spitzer that presents its ogive realatively soon in it's length, allowing good accuracy while keeping OAL workable. The other nice thing is it's construction is optimized for the reduced velocities (compaired to full-sized rifles) yeilded by single shot pistols, putting it right in the 6x45's wheelhouse for good performace on game. Hornady make's just about the same bullet as well, but mine liked the Sierra a bit better.
Thanks Ian! That's good to know because I also want to get a contender barrel in 6x45 and that would be perfect!

Jared
Posted By: keith 60g Sierra HP for yotes....... - 05/15/10
this is a really great bullet for yotes. Quartering shots you sill have the penetration to kill instantly.

Heavy bullets in this caliber will have the trajectory of a 45/70, you will have the tendancy to unzip yotes as the range gets past 200.

65BR,

You don't have a link to the Layne Simpson article do you?
fshaw,

I do not, searched, estimate that the article was around 94-96, I have a copy buried somewhere but cannot put my hands on it.

I seem to recall the front cover was in yellow but it was him and in Shooting Times. Sorry.
Thanks anyway.

Frank
Frank, anything specific you are looking for in the article? I will keep my eyes out, I literally have hundreds of magazines, and when I get time will try to put my hands on it for you and try googling that edition. It's in a stash in some storage bin in my garage......
I'm working with a 6x45 on a Sako 461 action and am looking to read anything I can about the cartridge. I ordered a copy of the Handloader with the article "Another Look at the 6x45" and have a copy of the Wildcat Cartridges book. I'm also spent a bunch of time researching on the internet. Just looking for something I haven't seen.

Thanks for asking.

Frank
Posted By: Owl Re: 60g Sierra HP for yotes....... - 03/15/12
I've been reading alot about the 6x45 and I'm very interested. I have a ER Shaw 24" #2 contour 1:10 blank. I want to put this on a Savage action.

Anyone have thoughts on using the 1:10 rate of twist ? What about barrel length ? Cut it down to 22" ? 20" ?

I have a bunch of 75gr V-Max bullets that I want to use for this. Anyone have any loads worked up for a similar barrel ?

Also, just curious about free bore etc.

Looking for more opinion's on this round and using the current barrel that I have.

Looking forward to reading your response's.
blast from the past....
I have two with 10 twist I shoot 70-80gr berrgers with a load of 27gr. H-4895. Use it to hunt deer with at 200yd. I get complette pass trough. Have built 6x47-6tcu and now I have two 6x45 The 47 was a 12 the tcu 14. You cant go wrong on any way you go depending on what you want it for. All three of cal. I went with 22in.
Posted By: Owl Re: 60g Sierra HP for yotes....... - 03/15/12
Thank you Buck
© 24hourcampfire