Home
Posted By: Foxbat Custom arrived today via UPS - 05/17/10
This started life as a Sako 85 .338 Fed Grey Wolf I bought new a year ago, when they were selling them cheap. Sent it off late in the summer for a rebarrel, then off to McMillan to be fitted in January.

21" SS barrel 1:9 twist
7mm-08 AI
6.6 lbs as shown
McMillan Sako Classic
40% Forest Green, 40% Olive, 20% Woodland beige

Intend to mount a Kahles 3-9x42 MZ.

Open to suggestions on mounts, if there is an alternative to the Sako opti's.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: Custom arrived today via UPS - 05/17/10
Any chance for a closeup of that stock? Looks great.
Wow that does look great! You're getting me pump up, as I'm waiting for a McSwirly Sako Classic right now.....
Posted By: GregW Re: Custom arrived today via UPS - 05/17/10
I don't see any sort of picture...
That's a good looking swirl.
Who's barrel is it?
very nice.

Dink
Nice gun.....Better hearth!!!
Thanks. It's a Douglas premium barrel. I had Mickey Coleman do it.

I'll get a closeup of the stock. I was going for the old Vietnam era tiger stripe and when I lay one of my boonie hats next to it, it's darn close.

Thanks on the hearth. We just had this house built a few months ago. The hearth is solid sandstone from Georgia, the river rock is from North Carolina and above the picture is a solid walnut mantle I brought back from Tennessee and had finished. Kind of a Southeast fireplace effect.
Looks good !
A couple closer shots of the stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: Custom arrived today via UPS - 05/18/10
Well hell, I like the granite and cabinets back there also! The closeup looks really good of the stock. Probably anxious to get that to the range.
Looks great! Did you not like the 338 frd or was this just a donor?
Posted By: GregW Re: Custom arrived today via UPS - 05/18/10
I see it now!

Very, very nice...
Originally Posted by 308scout
Looks great! Did you not like the 338 frd or was this just a donor?

I never fired it as a 338 Fed. I bought it with the intention of having it rebarreled.
Posted By: CLB Re: Custom arrived today via UPS - 05/18/10
That is very well done! No doubt it will be a shooter. Good luck with it.

CLB
Very nice...........as for mounts, I used Conetrols on several Sako & like them a lot.

Also used a lot of Buehlers as well, but IIRC, they are not available any longer.

If you decide to go with Conetrols, shoot me a PM & I'll give you a couple of hints on mounting them.

MM

Nice gun, best of luck to ya.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Custom arrived today via UPS - 05/19/10
Well done!
Looks great, I like the colour mix. I had a Sako Hunter EDGE stock inletted by McMillan, I believe off your action while it was there. Thanks! grin

I'll buy your FED barrel if you'll ship it up here... crazy
Posted By: 65BR Re: Custom arrived today via UPS - 05/19/10
NICE.........ok, let me say it again wink

SO, I run Talley's on my son's 75, happy.....

Shot 2 groups using FC 308 and 7/08 brass necked to 260, BOTH groups at 200 yds, shot the FIRST 2 shots of 3 into the SAME HOLE, so I have confidence in the Talley's FWIW.....used a 6.5-20x for testing....at 20x.

Again, VERY nice rifle - enjoy...do post range results.
Originally Posted by blargon
Looks great, I like the colour mix. I had a Sako Hunter EDGE stock inletted by McMillan, I believe off your action while it was there. Thanks! grin

I'll buy your FED barrel if you'll ship it up here... crazy

Call Mickey Coleman, it's probably laying in his shop.

Lucky guy on getting to use mine. Not sure why McMillan doesn't just bite the bullet and program the 85 specs.
We do have the inletting specs for the 85's. However we need the action here to do a tang job (building up gelcoat) on every stock. We had 25 stocks ordered for the Sako 85 series up to this point. Right now its not cost effective for us to spend the money on the molds.
Originally Posted by ShootToWin
We do have the inletting specs for the 85's. However we need the action here to do a tang job (building up gelcoat) on every stock. We had 25 stocks ordered for the Sako 85 series up to this point. Right now its not cost effective for us to spend the money on the molds.

Ryan,
I understand the business decision. I will say that I almost didn't order one because of having to send it in. How many other people have or may make that decision, may or may not result in sufficient #'s to justify a mold over time.

And don't get me wrong, that's not a complaint, just that I know there was a thread back when I first asked about the 85 here and I had a few people tell me in the thread and by PM they ended up selling their 85's rather than ship their rifle.

I will say that I am glad I did it, you guys did an excellent job on mine and I would do it again.
Originally Posted by ShootToWin

Don't blame you guys for not spending the $$. It would be worth it if Sako would quit changing their actions every 10 years for no reason...Glad I lucked out and Foxbat's rifle was there... grin
Looking good. Love color mix of the stock.
© 24hourcampfire