Home
Posted By: JRS3 Bansner Rifles - 05/27/10
What do you know about Bansner Rifles?

I called High Tech to find out more information about their stocks and Mark answered the phone. I didn't realize it at first but after he mentioned that it was his company, he introduced himself. He said everyhone had left and he just felt like talking on the phone. Well, long story short, I called about getting a rifle restocked, and dang it, he is about to talk me into a new rifle. He was a very interesting person to speak with and obviously knows his trade well.

I do not see much specifically about his rifles on the 'fire but generally speaking, what are your thoughts? There are many other builders mentioned more frequently but his name does not appear as much. What do you say?

Posted By: 300MAG Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/27/10
I have never shot one his rifles, but have seen them & handled them. He makes nice rifles, but in my opinion, they are way overpriced!!!!!

There are lots a great smiths that can build you a rifle as good or better than Bansner for alot less!! I think his custom actions are machined by Defiance Machine(Glen Harrison).

Here's the list I'd check out to build you a rifle:

Robert Gradous
GA Precision
Kampfeld Customs
American Precision Arms (APA)
Gre-Tan Rifles
Jim Borden
Posted By: gene270 Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/27/10
I have always wanted one of his rifles but never could afford one.I to think they are way over priced also as he was in great demand and his prices reflected but i have to say his fit and finish are second to none but beleive you can get rifles built as good or better by some of the benchrest smiths out their.

gene
Posted By: bluesman Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/27/10
Talk to Charlie Sisk before you make a decision.
Posted By: MikeFletcher Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/27/10
I have two custom rifles with High Tech Specialties stocks and could not be happier with them. No experience with Bansner rifle though.
Posted By: slg888 Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/27/10
Popapi {Marcus} Campfire member has had a couple Basner's built from Mark Basner and like's his work. I did speak to Mark once, but his prices will make you look for a 2nd job.

Im with 300MAG

Robert Gradous from Georgia or Gre-tan rifles.

Gradous is right up the road from ya {according to your avatar}.
Posted By: thetrio Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/27/10
I have handled one of his guns and would say he builds a great rifle.

Now the question comes down to one for you to answer... is the "price" worth it to you (time to delivery, cost, resell value, etc are all part of the "price")?

If the answer is yes, then make arrangements that need to be done or else look for other options.
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/27/10

I bought a Bansner stock for my 7mm Rem 700 to cut weight from the LTD stock. Saved over a pound. Not as pretty as the very nice checkered LTD walnut stock but I sure appreciated the weight loss.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/27/10
Originally Posted by slg888
Popapi {Marcus} Campfire member has had a couple Basner's built from Mark Basner and like's his work. I did speak to Mark once, but his prices will make you look for a 2nd job.

Heck yeah Mark builds GREAT stuff, very professional Guy not just him his whole organization!
Posted By: Grand Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/27/10
I owned a Bansner .223. Shot very well and workmanship was first rate. I met Mark several years ago at the Safari Club show in Reno. Very pleasant to talk with and a pioneer in lightweight accurate hunting rifles.
Posted By: JimBobwsm Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/27/10
Originally Posted by 300MAG
I have never shot one his rifles, but have seen them & handled them. He makes nice rifles, but in my opinion, they are way overpriced!!!!!

There are lots a great smiths that can build you a rifle as good or better than Bansner for alot less!! I think his custom actions are machined by Defiance Machine(Glen Harrison).

Here's the list I'd check out to build you a rifle:

Robert Gradous
GA Precision
Kampfeld Customs
American Precision Arms (APA)
Gre-Tan Rifles
Jim Borden

Can't forget Tim McWhorter www.mcwhorterrifles.com
Posted By: slg888 Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/27/10
I will take a Red Rider or Daisy over the McWhorter.

Well that is the first negative comment I have seen on McWhorter. I have several. All shoot 1/4" or better and Tim is the most knowledgeable gunsmith I have ever met. Best of luck with the BB gun.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/27/10
Are you talking about hunting rifles ? They all shoot 1/4 inch or better ?
I think the best deals in the market place are the nula and borden basic rifle at 3000.00 but they are still pricey some of the other smiths mentioned here are still as pricey as bansner.

gene
That would be the guy building my next rifle as well.
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Yes. I spent a lot of time doing load development and all will shoot 1/4 moa. 243, 300wsm, 6.5wby, and 7wsm. I just got my hands on some 300gr Bergers and they have proved to be incredible in my 338ultra. All are hunting rifles less than 8 lbs with the exception of my heavy 243.
If you are consistently getting those then I'm impressed.
jimbobwsm,
not sure i understand your reply are you saying these guys are not good smiths?

gene
Not at all. They are all excellent. I'm just a little leary of hunting rifles that average 1/4 inch groups..........or less. Am I wrong to be somewhat skeptical ?
Originally Posted by gene270
jimbobwsm,
not sure i understand your reply are you saying these guys are not good smiths?

gene

Best I have ever used.
Sorry Gene, thought you were asking me that Q
my stupidity looked at the post wrong i appologize to jimbobwsm and rdfinn

gene
Posted By: Lansend Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/27/10
To the OP- I have a Bansner "Ultimate Ovis" in 7mm08 that will probably become my favorite whitetail rifle. Mine was part of a reduced price run and I opted for no muzzle brake. Less expensive than the posted price, but still far from cheap.

He has also rescued a Mauser 98 and a Winchester 70 for me after they were botched by other gunsmiths (nobody mentioned here). Part of the attraction for me is his stocks. Good fit and finish, and they balance as I like them to.

This isn't just my subjective reaction. My hunting partner took his mule deer last year with my Bansner-stocked Mauser and now wants to buy it.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/27/10
I don't know about his rifles, but if the service he provides on them is anything like the service that's been provided by him/the folks that work for him, to me on stocks, then I'd say it would be top notch. I like his stocks and have finished a load of them. Any time I've had a question they've been quick to answer and offer help. They've shipped me sling swivels for free when I lost one or when I wanted stainless rather than blued...little things, but they were nice about it and happy to do it. Every time I've ordered a blank from them it arrives BEFORE the estimated date they give. Good folks.

JCM
Posted By: Popapi Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/28/10
LOL your CRAZY dude!!!!
Posted By: battue Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/28/10
Originally Posted by JimBobwsm

Yes. I spent a lot of time doing load development and all will shoot 1/4 moa. 243, 300wsm, 6.5wby, and 7wsm. I just got my hands on some 300gr Bergers and they have proved to be incredible in my 338ultra. All are hunting rifles less than 8 lbs with the exception of my heavy 243.

There is will and always will. The two seldom meet.
Posted By: RaceTire Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/28/10
B,
Definitely. The real nice thing about Bansner's High Tech's are 1. You don't have to wait forever to get one and 2. They don't break the bank when you buy one.
I have a couple in the safe (stocks) including a blank for a SAKO AV. Anyone know of an AV out there that might be available?
If his rifles are anything like his stocks and his service I wouldn't be afraid to send him a deposit.
I might even ask for a counter balance on a LH model but only if I were going to install a Leupy on it and not rotate the turrets.

Dave
Posted By: battue Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/28/10
I've heard nothing but good about his rifles and stocks. Now I think if you told him it was to be a lefty and a Leo would ride on top he would take care of it from the get-go and your worries would be for naught. grin

If the bug bit I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of his rifles. However, that Mr. Forbes down your way has bit me pretty good recently.

Addition: Must pass along a compliment. W.V. and its people are top shelf.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/28/10

Can't comment on Bansner rifles other than they do seem high priced; that's not to say they are not worth it. I've also no experience with the other rifle makers here but since somebody mentioned NULA, i'll also add Rifles Inc. Because some of his (Lex Weberneck) models are comparably priced ( around $3200-3500) and I've had three though two have gone down the road through no fault of their own.

He does a very nice job and one of his specialties is a very light (Lightweight Strata) rifle off of the Rem 700-- a "mountain rifle" so to speak.
Posted By: RaceTire Re: Bansner Rifles - 05/29/10
B,
Melvin is a good guy and he can build a rifle. It's was too tough for me to live here and not own one of his guns. He told me when I picked mine up that it was his gun and he was loaning it to me. It sure works good.
If I were to have one built for the grandson I am sure I would get some weird looks from others in the family.
Mark builds a pretty nice piece too. Man ought to own at least one of each but there ain't enough time to wringem all out.
I feel the same way you do about many of my fellow West Virginians. Pretty good bunch and most can shoot. Our electoral votes went to McCain just in case anybody cares.

Dave
Posted By: 163bc Re: Bansner Rifles - 06/10/10
I've owned a couple Bansners. Still have one in 280 Rem that is as accurate as a gun can get. Had another in 300 Weatherby I'm still kicking my self for getting rid of. I've met Mark and talked to him at lenght. He builds an excellent rilfe. I'm sure there are others but IMO McWhorter and Bansners are 2 of the very best going right now. 163bc
Posted By: Bob257 Re: Bansner Rifles - 06/10/10
Mark has rebarreled and restocked several for me. The first was a Model 7 in 7SAUM. It has a Lilja barrel, his stock and is coated. It shoots Great! He also put a 280 Rem Lilja barrel on a Sako 85 Finnlight action. It shoots too! He is currently putting a 6.5-284 barrel on a Sako A7 action. I'm expecting good things. His shop is immaculate and he and Tom are great guys.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Bansner Rifles - 06/10/10
I own a Bansners in 300 Win mag and its a better shooter than I am. I'm the second owner, and needed the LOP reduced by a 1/2 inch. Mark did the work and repainted the stock and sent it back for something like $25, which I seem to recall was just the shipping.

I like his work, and I love the rifle.

Top shelf guy.

BTW, he answered the phone when I called, as well. I like a man who puts his name on a product and answers his own phone.
Posted By: woods Re: Bansner Rifles - 06/11/10
I have reloaded and shot a "Sheep Rifle" in 300RUM and was impressed with the rifle. My friend picked it up for $2500 including a Swarovski 3x12x56 with a TDS reticle from a victim of Obummer's economy.

When I gave it back I told him it was the best gun he has and he has quite a few and I have quite a few custom rebarrels (Hart, Brux, Douglas, Pac-Nor, Shilen). First load was with 200 gr TSX's that shot 1 1/2" with new cases and RL25 at 200 yards and that fit the reticle so done deal. It was a pleasure to shoot with the muzzle brake even though I am not a fan of them. Feeding and trigger pull was excellent.

Mag length was 3.7" and the distance to the lands with the 200 gr TSX was 3.79". Not too bad for a 300 RUM.
Posted By: RSH Re: Bansner Rifles - 07/14/10
I own a 300 RUM "Ultimate One" by Bansner's. I own a few other custom rifles and have had a few more that I have let go over the years. The 300 RUM by Bansner's is the most consistant rifle for accuracy that I have ever owned. I have shot 185 Bergers, 180 Barnes, 180 Swift, 180 Noslers (Accubond & Ballistic)and all have been below 1" at 200 yards. The Berger and Barnes were right at 1/2" at 200. The rifle wears a Z5 Swarovski with Talley quick detach rings and weighs in at 7 pounds, 15 ounces. Bansner's Rifles in my opinion is definiftely one of the best out there if not the BEST!
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Bansner Rifles - 07/15/10
Clarence Hammonds @ half the price.No brag just fact.Over 30 world records go into each and every hunting rifle.

A Hammonds built rifle will out shoot a Bansner any day of the week.I've seen and heard Mr. Bansner get very testy about this.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Bansner Rifles - 07/15/10
Buddy of mine has hunted with a half a dozen Bansners. His results mirrored those in this thread and I'd have no issue ordering a lefty from him. Well, other than the fact I am buying braces for the kids, paying the IRS a little extra, and saving for some taxidermy work.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Bansner Rifles - 07/15/10
RSH,
1/2" at 200yds. I won't buy that from him or any other custom smith in a hunting rifle. Get a target with 5 bulls on it and post pictures. Most of us got off the turnip truck a long time ago.
Butch
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Bansner Rifles - 07/15/10
Sounds like those Bansner's are almost as accurate as them McWhorter's............................ grin
Posted By: bxroads Re: Bansner Rifles - 07/15/10
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
RSH,
1/2" at 200yds. I won't buy that from him or any other custom smith in a hunting rifle. Get a target with 5 bulls on it and post pictures. Most of us got off the turnip truck a long time ago.
Butch

Another one of those inturdnet rifles no doubt........
Posted By: Popapi Re: Bansner Rifles - 07/15/10
Sounds like those Bansner's are almost as accurate as them McWhorter's............................ grin
ALMOST?........................that is FUNNY!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: SKane Re: Bansner Rifles - 07/15/10
Originally Posted by RSH
The Berger and Barnes were right at 1/2" at 200.

I'm originally from Missouri. Show me. wink

Posted By: RSH Re: Bansner Rifles - 07/16/10
I meant no disrespect to any other gun smith. I also know that Tim McWhorter can build a great rifle. JSR3 asked a question and I replied what I have done with mine. Good luck in your new purchase whichever way you go. Robert S. Holbruner
Posted By: JAY S Re: Bansner Rifles - 07/20/10
As someone who has experienced a couple of custom builds (but have been around alot more) i can wholeheartily recomend Mark Bansner. I'm in my early 40's and had a 700 in .270 i which was the first gun I bought with my own money @ age 14. I talked to a handful of smiths and wanted to take the 270 and turn it into a .300 win mag. most said it couldn't be done or their would be problems. Mark took it all in stride and turned my old gun into a finely crafted custom rifle with out replacing the bolt. The fit and finish is first class and the folow up after the build has been great not to mention it shoots great as well. It shoots 180 gr. vlds way better than I can. I don't know the size of my best group but they all touch...for hunting does it need to be any better?
when you compare all custom gunbuilders apples to apples I don't think the difference in price is worth the risk in a marginal product. I'm sure there is someone who can build a gun for less but i'm very pleased with my investment.
I had Mark and Tom break the design into many line items so I could see which items were driving the cost. There were no mysteries in the cost and I was pleased all the way. i don't post much but i felt inclined to offer this hearty recomendation based on my experience.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Bansner Rifles - 07/20/10
Al I know is that Mark builds very fine HUNTING rifles.

He built me a .270 Weatherby on a 700 action that started shooting extremely well right out of the gate--and only weighed 7-1/2 pounds with scope. Now, it is possible to make them lighter, but that was light enough for me in that chambering.

One other thing: I have owned and tested quite a few custom synthetic-stocked rifles, and Mark's was one of the very few that came exactly as I requested in every way, from the chamber to the trigger pull, and didn't need any tweaking.
© 24hourcampfire