Home
Posted By: SuperCub FN 98 bottom metal options - 06/02/10
I recently came into a JC Higgins in 270. The bbl finish was a bit cruddy and I already had a 270 so the action went out for a 7x57 bbl.

Right now, I'm considering options for this rifle and would like to know if there was a good alternative lightweight aluminum, hinged floorplate available for this FN.

I understand the alloy floorplate that Del Selins (Vernon) has advertised in the past is decent, not top end but useable. You could pm "Longbranch" on gunnutz, he has handled one.
Probably not. Should be able to fit the aluminum unit off of an HVA would be about the nicest I have seen. Finding one would be the tough part, and they aren't usually cheap. Would also require some major fitting on the inletting side of things. I believe some of the mark X stuff was Al, that might be the easiest option. I'm a weight cutting sob, but even I go with steel bottom metal when it's available on a Mauser.
Originally Posted by patbrennan
I understand the alloy floorplate that Del Selins (Vernon) has advertised in the past is decent, not top end but useable. You could pm "Longbranch" on gunnutz, he has handled one.

Thanks Pat. I tried to search "Longbranch" over there but the search function is spastic and they don't have a members list to look through. crazy

I'll try Del Selins direct, but would like to get a third part opinion. Get LB to pm me if you know him.

thx.

Posted By: blargon Re: FN 98 bottom metal options - 06/02/10
I thought you were doing a whelen?
Originally Posted by blargon

Fickle, I guess.

Wanna buy a 7x57?

Posted By: blargon Re: FN 98 bottom metal options - 06/03/10
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by blargon

Fickle, I guess.

Wanna buy a 7x57?

I'm pretty much covered in that area with a .260, 7-08, and .308... grin

You should just sell it and buy rembo's 7x64, though neither will out-run your .270 EDGE laugh
Posted By: Karnis Re: FN 98 bottom metal options - 06/03/10
Couldn't one be fashioned relatively easily? After all it's only aluminum.
there is a guy in Calgary that converts FN bottom metal and 98 Mauser bottom metal to the Oberndorf Mauser hinged style. I think it is around $250.00 . He works in a Diamond mine in the NWT so he is hard to find sometimes, and only Gunsmiths part time and does the conversions in batches only.

I will see if I can find his contact info in my files.
© 24hourcampfire