Home
Posted By: clark98ut Daughter's first custom... - 08/01/10
This is going to be my daughter's 5th birthday present. She turned 4 in July, so I've got a bit of a wait before I can give it to her.

It's a Remington 700 SS action, Brux No. 2 contour, 1:8" twist, chambered in 222 Remington, finished at 23" in a McMillan Compact (75% Orange, 25% White), ADL. Plans are to top it with a Leupold 6x42. Weighs in at 7lbs 1oz as you see it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I like it - looks like a heck of a nice first rifle. I'm sure she - and you will have lots of fun with that one.

Nice choice of barrels also, I've been looking into a #2 Brux barrel, seems like a great almost lightweight mountain rifle-ish but not too lightweight contour.
Congrats on a fine build!!
Posted By: GregW Re: Daughter's first custom... - 08/01/10
Very nice Dan...
Posted By: mudhen Re: Daughter's first custom... - 08/01/10
Pretty cool! My daughters had to do with factory stock rifles until they were old enough to "trade" me out of a couple of my customs.
I think you'll like that No. 2 contour. It balances really well (even if it doesn't have a scope yet).

Thanks guys! I hope she likes it as much as I do. Plan on shooting 62gr TSXs and (possibly) the 60gr Partition.
Posted By: slg888 Re: Daughter's first custom... - 08/02/10
A gift that she will never out grow. Awesome!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Daughter's first custom... - 08/02/10
Wow! Wish I could find a lefthanded short action in stainless. She has no idea how lucky she is yet. Did she get to pick the colors?
Very nice man! give the 64 Win PP a go too for killing! i've been impressed by it and the oldest son has too!!
Originally Posted by moosemuncher
Did she get to pick the colors?
Sorta. The wife and I are big Longhorn fans (both grads), so by default, so is our daughter. I showed her a picture of Bart's orange/white stock and she said she liked it, so I ran with it. If she doesn't like the color, I don't mind taking it off her hands (the stock that is).

Thanks Paul. I'll try some as well. Definitely cheaper I'd imagine!
use to be able to get them for under 10 bucks a hundred but they have gone up. Still a good bullet out to 200... The BC sucks so after that i'd start up with the TSX...
Posted By: petr Re: Daughter's first custom... - 08/02/10
what's LOP? You gonna cut the stock and add back type thing?
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Daughter's first custom... - 08/02/10
Nice
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
use to be able to get them for under 10 bucks a hundred but they have gone up. Still a good bullet out to 200... The BC sucks so after that i'd start up with the TSX...

That's pretty much what I see as being the limit of this rifle anyway, at least for deer. I'll order some up when I start loading for this bugger.

Originally Posted by petr
what's LOP? You gonna cut the stock and add back type thing?

LOP is 13" right now, and I may need to cut it back, but we'll see. It's got a 1/2" pad on it, so it can be bumped up to 13.5 with a 1" pad right now.
Very cool Dan. What made you go .222 over .223?
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Nostalgia. It's what I shot my first deer with.
Posted By: SKane Re: Daughter's first custom... - 08/02/10
Nice job Dan. You sure you didn't leave it "13.5 capable" for the old man? grin
Originally Posted by SKane
Nice job Dan. You sure you didn't leave it "13.5 capable" for the old man? grin

That thought may have crossed my mind.... grin
Posted By: deflave Re: Daughter's first custom... - 08/02/10
Nice build. Love those colors on the stock.

Travis
Nice! I feel like I got gipped by only getting an H&R Topper Jr. .410 for my 7th! Just kidding! By the way, that little shotgun turned 40 years old in my safe a couple of days ago! I hope she will treasure the rifle as much as I treasure my little shotgun.

I am sure she will. Bless you, taking our passion and RKBA to the next generation. More should follow your example of "Starting them right, Starting them young"!!
Sharp looking rifle. Love the engraved message on the barrel.
Thanks guys. It's killing me not being able to give it to her now. grin
Posted By: 65BR Re: Daughter's first custom... - 08/05/10
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Nice rifle btw. On the Deuce, I have had great accuracy with them, and the 221. NEVER owned/shot a GREAT 223. Likely a good custom might cure that, but I NEVER was 'Lucky' enough to have had anything more than 'mediocre' accuracy in 223s, Heavy bbl 700 and M70, and sporter wt. 1500. I like the longer necks on the 221/222s myself. No arguing ammo and brass are WAY plentiful in 223.
Finally loaded up some dummy rounds. 50gr Vmax on the left and 62gr TSX on the right. Hope to do a little load work-up sometime soon. I also picked up a 6x42 Sightron SII Big Sky and dropped it in some Talley LW Lows. I tried a set of Extra Lows, but it wouldn't work. If I'd gone with a shorter shank it would have probably been a go. Oh well...

-Dan

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 65BR Re: Daughter's first custom... - 11/22/10
Nice, love to hear a range report, that baby should shoot lights out.
© 24hourcampfire