Home
I picked up this 1898 Krag Sporter a few years ago, stock and action were good, but the bore had seen better days.
I sent it to Grizzly Custom Guns www.grizzlycustom.com for a new barrel, NECG banded ramp front sight, glass bedding and reblue.

Hope to see how it shoots tomorrow.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Cool! I've always wanted one of those.
Great looking Krag, let us know how it shoots. What type of rear sight does it have?
In the pictures it has a older Redfield that adjusts windage with oposing screws.

I just installed a new old stock vintage Redfield No. 70 KH that has micrometer windage and elevation adjustments.
[Linked Image]
Neat looking Krag sporter there, I had one very similar to yours. I have always like the ingenious method Redfield used to attach their sight to the Krag without drilling the hard receiver.
I was up in NW PA last week and saw three custom Krags
in a little gunshop, didnt check the prices though.
Posted By: efw Re: Resurrected 1898 Krag Sporter - 11/07/10
Beautiful KJ, Mike. I've seen a couple of really nice ones of late and not had the cash in my pocket, came back and both were gone quicker than I'd expected... I really like yours.
Well just send me a PM.
Butch
I got one too...cool!!
[Linked Image]
Those have got to be the smoothes actions ever.
Some PRETTY rifles here, gents! Likey them, never had one though. Should remedy that someday. Never thought a KJ could look nice 'cause the few I have seen were done pretty poorly, but the two posted here so far a right nice lookin. I have a soft spot for custom rifles and calibers of the former era's. Still trying to bloody my FN 300 Belted Newton.
I love them....and so far I've not had to worry about them being remade in Japan! My local shop has a vintage Bieson on an FN in .270 Win....sweet piece!
Posted By: mart Re: Resurrected 1898 Krag Sporter - 11/14/10
That is a beautiful Krag. There is nothing like classic guns.

Here is a Krag in birdseye maple. I have had the rifle for many years and it shoots great. Only have one mule deer doe to it's credit but still take it out once in a while when I am feeling nostalgic.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bcp Re: Resurrected 1898 Krag Sporter - 11/14/10
I've been looking for a nice one for years, but most look like the stock was carved from a RR tie with a chainsaw, or the price was $1500+.

Bruce
Posted By: efw Re: Resurrected 1898 Krag Sporter - 11/14/10
PM sent.

Mart that is a GORGEOUS rifle.

Dang I love these classics!!
A Griffin & Howe Krag from an anonymous collector.
[Linked Image]
A Niedner-Shelhamer Krag.
[Linked Image]
Would appear I'll have to begin a search soon.
Oh my......
That looks like a Hal Hartley stock in birdeyes..outstanding!
Posted By: mart Re: Resurrected 1898 Krag Sporter - 11/15/10
Those are a stunning pair of Krags. I can never get enough of the old classic custom rifles.

Rifle. I don't know who the builder was on my Krag but I agree that it does have a Hartley look to it. I fell in love with it when I saw all the birdseye. It has the most birdseye of any stock I have ever seen.

mart

Mike:

Great looking rifle, but, dude, you were going to get back and tells us how it shot!

- Tom
Killed a few whitetails with my old Krag sporter. Haven't shot the old bugger in years The factory Rem. Core- Locs always did an excellent job. Never loaded for it.
My interest has been picqued.
Cisco
i reblued a krag rifle for a friend about 6 months ago that he hd restocked with the wood hand guard on the barrel. the stock was simular to the g&h pattern in the pic. he also installed a no.1 i think lyman sight that was dove tailed into the cocking piece. it was too cool when done because we matte blued the reciver, cart. door, floor plat and barrel band. ill see if he'll email pics
Found one in a schitty stock for $200.00 this summer. Being a constant dumb-ass I put it back on the shelf....

Travis
Hmmm...

Might have to grab that action that's abandoned in a local shop soon.
Does anyone have any info on a stock maker who produces after market Krag sporter stocks? I would like to re-stock mine. Thanks Eric
© 24hourcampfire