Home
Has anybody had a Remington 7 action fail because of the smaller diameter rear action screw?

I am asking this because 1 of the resident experts claims that it is a significant flaw in the Remington 7's design, so much so that it makes the Remington 7 significantly less rugged and dependable than the very similar Remington 700.

I've never had any bolt action rifle, regardless of manufacturer, fail to work as intended because of a failed action screw, but such an issue has been made of it in another thread that I thought that I would ask the 24HCF universe what their individual experiences have been.

Given the choice, I'd prefer to build on a 700 action, because the aftermarket parts are more common and often less expensive, not because I'd be concerned about the rear action screw on a 7 action failing. As of 02/21/11, I have 13 Remington 7s and about 7x that number of Remington 700s, none of which has ever failed to work as intended because of a failed action screw. What they have done for me is feed, fire, eject, and repeat as needed.

What say you?

JEff
There are about 7 Model Sevens that come into My Camp every year, ranging from 708 to 350 rem. mag.. I've never known of any complaint or defect of the rear action screw.
Jeff,

I owned 2 Model 7 KS 350 Rem Mags. Recently sold one of them to a member. I've also had a 223, 308 and now own a 260 stainless with my 308 stainless headed back to me.. I've never had a problem. I still own my Model 7 CDL 350 Rem Mag also. All have been and are a joy to carry / shoot. I trust that little screw completely.

Ken
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Has anybody had a Remington 7 action fail because of the smaller diameter rear action screw?

I am asking this because 1 of the resident experts claims that it is a significant flaw in the Remington 7's design, so much so that it makes the Remington 7 significantly less rugged and dependable than the very similar Remington 700.

I've never had any bolt action rifle, regardless of manufacturer, fail to work as intended because of a failed action screw, but such an issue has been made of it in another thread that I thought that I would ask the 24HCF universe what their individual experiences have been.

Given the choice, I'd prefer to build on a 700 action, because the aftermarket parts are more common and often less expensive, not because I'd be concerned about the rear action screw on a 7 action failing. As of 02/21/11, I have 13 Remington 7s and about 7x that number of Remington 700s, none of which has ever failed to work as intended because of a failed action screw. What they have done for me is feed, fire, eject, and repeat as needed.

What say you?

JEff

Safe Queen/Haybale & Crockett affairs...is the most forgiving of trevails,as you so eloquently quantify.

I could not say with a straightface,that all fasteners are equal. That as extrapolated in different sizing and along the relative quality scale. I could not say that all barrels are equal,nor all twists or chamberings either. I could not say that all stocks are equal. I could not say that all mounts/rings/bases are equal. I couldn't say that all recoil lugs are equal.

I can say however,that those who are the least demanding in their pursuits,reliably get away with concessions that others can't and that no matter the Game.

Is a 7 rear fastener the same size as a 700? Nope. Is the 700 fastener a superior piece in the puzzle? Assuredly. Do poor dumb Do-nothin' Jeff whine? Exceptionally!

But it's never not funny.........................(grin)
I own three model Seven's and those three rifles are exclusively exclusively what I hunt with.

I trust that screw completely but at the same time it is hard to argue with the case that the bigger screw on the 700 is stronger. How much that matters is unique to the individual -

Personally, I'll keep hunting my Sevens but can't argue with someone who likes the heavier screw on the 700 - no different than any other of the myriad of alternatives on a rifle.

Not too different from saying I've never had failure of a scope base b/c of 6x48s yet all my rifles have 8x40s.
Have puked 6/48's too.

The 7 rear,is the schittiest fastener in da bidness..................
yup, had to drill out three of them after the Allen slot rounded out... i've got a dozen or so just in case they get squirly on me...
By default,I tend to poke aftermarket fasteners in most everything. Their longer length allows full purchase and an increase in quality,do not hurt.............
rgr that...
where does one find after-market (preferably torx head) screws? Just looked at brownells and they had their house brand and remington replacement parts but those appear to be hex head (vs. torx)
While I will admit that I have not tried it. Looks like it would be simple to drill and tap a larger screw in. miles
Originally Posted by milespatton
While I will admit that I have not tried it. Looks like it would be simple to drill and tap a larger screw in. miles

And enlarge the screw head recess in the pot metal bottom metal.
I've never had issue with the back fastener but from the first day I had a M7 always hated it and thought what dumb a$$ thing.
Add the M7 minor weight savings over a 700, the tiny back screw, and concessions caused by the shorter OAL in making many after marker trigger fit and the M7 a one and done to me.
You boys are gonna talk me into a Montucky yet!................
One will be my next move.
Dammmmit, and I just bought two more of those crummy 700's with the crappy X-pro trigger. ;o) Flinch
Might have a can of donor actions myself.................(grin)
Might have to get me a couple more. They hold their value better than my 401K and anything else I have invested in. Good guns and gold are about the only things that have consistently held their value throughout history. Flinch
Adding to the stash,is much easier than removing from same..................(grin)
That's certainly true in my case lately. I've been trying to cut down on the number of "unneeded" items in my safe, and I'm running out of room... I seem to accumulate more than I sell.
The Economy is ripe for pickin'................
Most of my rifles are bedded properly enough so the rear action screw is slightly tight, and serves more for alignment than tension. I hope that these screws do not recieve any recoil. They shouldn't.
Define "properly enough".

I'm diggin' it!................
I picked up a model 7 that had the rear hole drilled off at an angle and was no wear close to perpendicular. I opened it up and filled it before redrilling and tapping for the original size screw. IIRC I looked at using a 1/4 screw but by the time the floorplate was opened enough there was not enough metal on each side to make me comfortable. I went to the stainless hex (could not find a torx) screws, tighened to 60lb and never looked back. If your rifle is properly bedded it should not matter that the rear screw is a bit smaller, and if it is improperly bedded I dont think going to the larger screw would help. Im also in the "one and done" group for model 7s, I would rather go with the 700 for a better choice of stocks and parts.

But what do I know, I reach for a Tikka T3 by choice for most hunting. smile
Shoulda went M40A1 Jarhead and went cap screws..............
Bedded properly enough so there should be no shear or turning moment. Only a little tension and some compression on other components. Were talking a few ft. lbs., not ksi.
Thanks.

That was great!................
© 24hourcampfire