Home
Which would you build for a varmint/deer rifle and why? Can a rifle chambered in 243 be reamed out to the 6mm ackley improved?
243 Ackley, hands down. -Al
It's all about the brass. .243AI wins.

R.
It's all about COAL.

243AI,by a mile...............
Short action slamo dunk I'd go 243 Ack, long action I'd go 6/06. With a 14 twist for sure...grin

Dober
I had a .243 Win rechamered to a 6mm AI and it works fine. I agree with the others, however, that a .243 AI is the way to go.
Technically the 6mm AI will gain more powder space than the 243 due to the 243 having less taper and less capacity to start.
Then you seat your bullet so far in said case, in order to fit it into SA and mag constraints, that you loose the advantage, particularily with heavier bullets.

R.
The 6AI is a goatphuck................
No brainer, 243 Ackley

Anything x57 is.

You had me at "hello"..................(grin)
Oops! lol..
There is a pretty good write up of the 6mm AI on the 6mm benchrest site, including some reasons for choosing it over the 243 AI. Of course, not everyone will find those reasons valid.
I've a 6AI and 243AI's...and am comfy with the inside scoop....................(grin)
You do have some nice stuff. I suspect that if you ever counted them all, you ran out of fingers and toes.
Wouldn't wanna know.................(grin)
Probably would not be enough even with his hands in his pockets. grin miles
Originally Posted by Big Stick
It's all about COAL.

243AI,by a mile...............

+1

This short comment probably went over the heads of most, but being able to "kiss" the lands and use the magazine box are critical for extreme accuracy.

If you have a short action, then the 243 AI is the way to go. If you have a long action, then the 6AI is the way to go.

I have always used Rem 7/08 brass for the 243 AI, turn the necks at 7mm, then use the 7mm dia to create a false shoulder where you set the headspace for your 243 AI, never loose a case.

Just in case you think that Rem brass will not shoot tiny groups, you badly mistaken.
6-06/6-06AI on a l/a.................
I never had a 6-06 or the AI version. I opted for the 257 Weatherby with zero freebore instead and the 6.5 Rem mag AI.

I hunted coyotes, chucks, crows, jack rabbits, never had to shoot more than 450 yards...I just liked to blow the hell out of them, then hang them up in a tree and do some bullet testing on them...if there was anything left.
I thought the 257Wby was overbore?.................
Ya'll are hair splitting and the 6mm/244 AI will beat the 243 AI in case capacity every time...plus I've never had ANY problems getting x57 brass...OR 234/308. It's nothing but a matter of choice...be a man...make your own and screw the rest...(evil smile and LOL)

LUCK
Lovely theorum.

What COAL are you gunning 105's at in your 6AI?

Thanks!..............
I have tried many of the AI cartridges the 243AI is great and works in a short action if you want a magazine. also you can use Lapua brass, the 6AI is also great and works in a short action if you go single shot but need's a long if you want a mag.
Mine were both 1-8" twist's and you could get 100- 150fps more with the 6AI using 105-107gr bullet's.
The interesting thing to me is that both of these rounds gave much better barrel life than my 6-284's

Prezactly.

243AI over 6mmAI all day long. I don't like the 7x57 or the 6.5 Swede, and like the 257 Boberts even lessgrin
neither I'd go 6-284, Short and fat is where it's at wink
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
I have tried many of the AI cartridges the 243AI is great and works in a short action if you want a magazine. also you can use Lapua brass, the 6AI is also great and works in a short action if you go single shot but need's a long if you want a mag.
Mine were both 1-8" twist's and you could get 100- 150fps more with the 6AI using 105-107gr bullet's.

Correct and this has been my experience as well, my 6 AI is built on a 40x so I don't have to worry about the mag length.
Shorter than a 6AI and a one-pass deal to boot...............
Shorter than a 6AI and a one-pass deal to boot...............

And Lapua brass wink
Anything that's "times fifty-seven" is a goatphuck by default.............(grin)

Yeah, and we can throw in all of those .473 rimmed cartridges too! Can't We?
I'm a .473" Slut,just cain't times fifty-seven.

Mainly because I have,too many times.

Prolly a pun there too...............
Mauser was both.
Wow................
Lol
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Prezactly.

243AI over 6mmAI all day long. I don't like the 7x57 or the 6.5 Swede, and like the 257 Boberts even lessgrin

I hear the voice of my sainted mother saying, "Son, there is no accounting for taste."
smile
Botched COAL,assuredly don't taste any good at all..................
6 of one kind half a dozen of the other! Brass availabilty would be the only consideration!
COAL,matters far more than brass "availability",as brass is a non issue to score.................
I'm not real sure what would be better I just can't seem to shoot the barrel out of my 25 06AI quick enough to plan another rifle.
Depends on the action too! COAL being considered!
Here's a coupla 700 comparisons,as per their Factory issued boxes.

S/A to the left,with 243AI and a 6mmRemAI formed hulls within. L/A on right with a formed 25-06AI.................

[Linked Image]
Non-issue, I think the 243 takes out more of the taper, some more powder, more consistant loads. Sorts of the new /old short fat mag conception! I have found the more case filled with powder equates to less movement of powder in the case, and leads to tigher groups and less spread in the chrono data!
Whoever said "A picture is worth a thousand words" wasn't too far off the mark.
Originally Posted by MikeNZ
Whoever said "A picture is worth a thousand words" wasn't too far off the mark.

Yep
I shoot a 257 Roberts AI, and love it! Just as about a accurate rifle one could ask for! Oh, also, I'm an Ackley nut too! Some people here, who are not fair minded, think he is wreckless and don't think he knew much!
Another one,that folks are in a hurry to [bleep] up.

Added another S/A magbox far left and within it,is a formed 22-250AI and a SAAMI Swift.

Just sayin'..................

[Linked Image]
I just love that shoulder! My M98 FN Mauser in 284 Win. has almost the same shoulder. It is super accurate too. We shoot clays @ 300 yds with it. 154 gr. Hornady's Interlocks! Another one of my favorite bullets! Never got into the ABC bullets!
Stick what are you running for bullet/powder in your 6/06AI?

Thx
Dober
The 25-284 smokes the Better Bob in performance,precision and in COAL.

Win/win/win...............
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Stick what are you running for bullet/powder in your 6/06AI?

Thx
Dober

'22 105's...............
Even on 300 yard clays.....
Even..............(grin)
Scenar and or Amax?

Dober
'Max............
Thx, am loading some Scenar to give a go tmrw.

Dober

The 25-284 smokes the Better Bob in performance,precision and in COAL.

Win/win/win...............

25x284 is the only quarter bore I play with. Don't tell my wife but she thinks that it is her gun. No worries I only shoot it when she is not around, and have a barrel stashed should I cook the throat.
Mark,
Just to give you a barometer to go my and I am sure the 6/06 will be a speedier round due to the powder capacity. My 6AI shoots an 85 grain bullet right at 3400 fps - 22" Hart. Mine has a short action and a Wyatt box but 95 grain Bergers is it and heavier Berger or any 105's and I gotta seat them pretty deep or shoot them one at a time. One of the beauty's of shooting the long action is being able to use the 115's and if a guy has an 8 twist barrel that makes it even better.
6AI is a tweener. I really like mine although either a 6/06 or a 243 AI or any other mid bore wild cat would be right at home in my Heritage.
Too many rifles and not enough time.

Dave
'Max............

Velocidad?

Dober
Dave-I ran a 240 Page Souper Pooper for a while, fairly close to a 6AI if I recall right. Shot a lot of chucks with it, some lopes/bruins/deer etc.

Like the round but found I like the 6/06 mo betta. My first barrel went 1700 rounds, pretty much all in the killing fields. Shot lots of chucks/yotes/porcupines and quite a bit of small/big game (deer/lopes/bruins). We've found the round to be very capable and very user friendly!

Dober
I might need to try me one of them 6/06's.
.243AI has better brass option, plus it works better as a repeater in the short action. I prefer short action over long, and definitely want a repeater, so those are my main advantages
Thinking you'd have a ton load of fun with it Steely. It's a heck of a turtle rig as well..grin

Dober
'Max............

Velocidad?

Dober

I have only heard this term used by every country-western singer in the last century while composing a love song about their own life,...... good lovin' gone baaaaaad.etc

had no idea that it had ballistic implication's also.
Originally Posted by Otis
Non-issue, I think the 243 takes out more of the taper, some more powder, more consistant loads. Sorts of the new /old short fat mag conception! I have found the more case filled with powder equates to less movement of powder in the case, and leads to tigher groups and less spread in the chrono data!

Otis,Otis,
Proof read your post, this makes 000000000000 sense, you should be embarrased!!!!!!!
Thx, am loading some Scenar to give a go tmrw.

Dober

The Scenar's are great bullet's, weight uniformity is the best I have found, bearing surface length is also the most consistant I have found.
Only problem I have found with them is that they dont expand for game use.......great target bullet's
'Max............

You must not have a 3 groove if you can shoot that combo!!!!
© 24hourcampfire