Home
Posted By: FVA Desert Camo- what color Cerekote? - 03/12/11
I've a Mcmillan,A3,in desert camo that will show up eventually and would like to send the metal out for a Cerekote coat.
I imagine a tan of some sort but am open to specifics and suggestions.
Graphite would be the ticket.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Graphite would be the ticket.

You might be right there. That certainly rates a consideration.
I've tried, but with a few exceptions I can't like the tan/brown etc cerakote colors. I know you have the all in one Howa, so perhaps you are digging it.

If you feel compelled, I'd go Flat Dark Earth.

That pea green Howa was completed without any input from me. I came across it on Gunbroker, realized the components added up to well over the price not even considering the work and grabbed it.
That rifle is easily the most for least I have.
It is my first cerekoted rifle and gave me a appreciation of what a good Cerekote job is capable of.
I've bead blasted SS that gets rust on it. That Howa has come in the house more than a few times soaking wet and snow covered and I just set it over a hot air duct.
I've taken it apart and the underneath and innards are still just as rust free as the outside.
I think Eddie posted a Graphite job he did not too long ago and it grabbed my attention.
I could see that looking real good with Desert camo and being different from pack.
Thanks for the nudge.
I think Clark98 posted some desert camo stocks. He had rattle canned the actions with tan spray, IIRC, and I thought they looked good.
Mike's 17Rem looks good to me. I can't remember exactly what color he used but it looks better in person that in the pic.

Bottom rifle....obviously. (grin)

[Linked Image]
I used Alumahyde Coyote Brown for the actions that I had in Desert Camo McMillans. The problem with Cerakote, IMO, is they don't really have a tan/brown color that matches very well. They'll send you a sample if you call and ask them, and I got samples of everything I thought would look good with the Desert Camo, and nothing was quite right.

Here's one of mine sprayed with the Alumahyde...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
For whatever reason, Brad's pics ain't loading
That looks really good Dan!!!
For whatever reason, Brad's pics ain't loading

I think something's wrong with your 'puter. It's loading fine for me.

Originally Posted by BradArnett
That looks really good Dan!!!

Thanks Brad. Sometimes wish I still had that 308. It was a tack driver!
Originally Posted by clark98ut
I used Alumahyde Coyote Brown for the actions that I had in Desert Camo McMillans. The problem with Cerakote, IMO, is they don't really have a tan/brown color that matches very well. They'll send you a sample if you call and ask them, and I got samples of everything I thought would look good with the Desert Camo, and nothing was quite right.

Here's one of mine sprayed with the Alumahyde...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That looks good. Did you get a sample of their desert sage?
Been playing with their virtual gun coater(http://www.nicindustries.com/guncoater.php) but wonder how it matches up in real life.
For example. The tungsten grey is much lighter on their site than in this picture posted by Eddief.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Tungsten_grey_and_Graphite_#Post4919991
Dangit! I spent 20 minutes searching, copying, uploading and jacking with this stupid phone to get Dan's pics. Here's what I found anyway.

I'd say Coyote or a really dark OD.
[Linked Image]
FVA,

I'll have to check through my samples and see. I don't remember offhand. Of course this was 2-3 years ago, so they might have colors now that they didn't then. I'll see what I've got though.

-Dan
Thanks Dan.
Mil-Spec OD really looks good in that stock.. Pretty sure there are some picture on Long Shot Rifles Website.. Long Shot Rifles
Thanks for the link 7 08fan. There are some good pics to get an idea of various combos.
I was thinking Mil-spec OD might look good as would Flat Dark Earth, Armor Black, and Sniper Gray......I'm thinking.
FVA, I do have a Desert Sage sample here. PM me your address and I'll drop it in the mail to you...

-Dan
Dan,
Thank you much. PM about to be sent.
Frank
Good Desert Camo cerakote colors: Desert Sand (base color), Flat Dark Earth and coyote tan.

They make a light sand cerakote also, that is really light colored.

Frank,

FYI I'm sending all the colors Eddie mentioned minus Light Sand, which I don't have.

-Dan
Eddie did this rifle for me. I believe it was Coyote tan, correct me if I'm wrong, Eddie.
[Linked Image]
Yup, metal was all coyote tan.
I forgot I did this one for RMEF or RMSF (can't remember). Hard to see the contrast between the coyote tan and FDE because of the crappy picture, but it looked real good.

[Linked Image]
Superseal,

I'm normally pretty vanilla (black or silver) but I could run that combo, I like it.
Originally Posted by clark98ut
Frank,

FYI I'm sending all the colors Eddie mentioned minus Light Sand, which I don't have.

-Dan

Great Dan. Thanks again.
Superseal,
That is a nice rifle/color combo thanks the the pic.
Originally Posted by eddief
I forgot I did this one for RMEF or RMSF (can't remember). Hard to see the contrast between the coyote tan and FDE because of the crappy picture, but it looked real good.

[Linked Image]

I like that FDE. It will be a couple weeks before I have my barreled action in hand but you will be getting the call Eddie.
Here is one Karl did for me, IIRC its Coyote tan

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
What color is that aalf. Looks sweet.
Black graphite, I think.....
Dang that is nice. Scott has the non same colors down.
A little bling affect with the shroud.
Originally Posted by FVA

That pea green Howa was completed without any input from me. I came across it on Gunbroker, realized the components added up to well over the price not even considering the work and grabbed it.
It is my first cerekoted rifle and gave me a appreciation of what a good Cerekote job is capable of.
I've bead blasted SS that gets rust on it. That Howa has come in the house more than a few times soaking wet and snow covered and I just set it over a hot air duct.
I've taken it apart and the underneath and innards are still just as rust free as the outside.
I think Eddie posted a Graphite job he did not too long ago and it grabbed my attention.
I could see that looking real good with Desert camo and being different from pack.
Thanks for the nudge.

FVA,
I have a WBY Custom SHOP Mark V stainless 270 WBY that was hand honed,
bead blasted the whole 9 yards.I have not had any rust problems YET.........
Does this Cerekote help a rifle`s durability that much?
I had been debating getting it for my 270 Roy.
Thanks AMRA
Originally Posted by FVA
A little bling affect with the shroud.

Kinda like blue dots on the Harley....... grin
Originally Posted by aalf

[Linked Image]

Do you ever not have a build going on? smile
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Do you ever not have a build going on? smile

Funny thing is, I said "That's It", a couple of years ago.

Don't ask me how that's workin' out............

A couple more.....and I think I'm "there".....

grin

Originally Posted by AMRA
Originally Posted by FVA

Thanks for the nudge.

FVA,
I have a WBY Custom SHOP Mark V stainless 270 WBY that was hand honed,
bead blasted the whole 9 yards.I have not had any rust problems YET.........
Does this Cerekote help a rifle`s durability that much?
I had been debating getting it for my 270 Roy.
Thanks AMRA

I'm pretty impressed from what I've seen thus far and will be using it more often. If it wasn't for that rifle I bought that just happened to have been wearing cerakote I likely wouldn't have tried it. After a pretty harsh hunting season on that rifle I'm a believer.

I will admit it's very addictive!
Mine is in coyote tan too... dunno if I can find a pic though...
Dang... here is the stock..... but no action in it... I'll try to get it out of the vault and take a pic later.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

dave
Graphite
Dave got it... I don't have to dig mine out now... mine looks the same.

And yep graphite would be a nice contrast in one way, but I"m not in it for a fashion statement on this one at least
rost
All that tan,looks odd at first, but it do grow on ya.
Mines not Cerekote,its Duracoat.
Custom mixed to match the campfire camo tan on the stock.

dave
Graphite

I'd have to say it is the front runner though I willhold off until I get a chance to see all the samples Clarke98ut/Dan is sending me.
Originally Posted by aalf

[Linked Image]

My favorite so far...aalf this one should be in the blueprints thread!
I was thinking FDE, but Coyote Tan may match better.......

http://nicindustries.com/guncoater.php
Originally Posted by rost495
Dang... here is the stock..... but no action in it... I'll try to get it out of the vault and take a pic later.....
[Linked Image]

What camo is that? Its sick, I like it.
I don't know if I can find the name any more. I found a link to maybe snipershide... like that pattern better than any other for tan camo..

I'll see if I can maybe find an order somehow through 24 hour here... maybe they save that data.
I think its italian desert, one of the sniperhide group buys had the same camo a few years back.
Its also called Precision Camo.
I'm liking the new McMillan Camo (McCamo). See the post below about a new McMillan A-series stock for pictures...
here's a walking varminter Mickey did with desert tan/black web stock and desert tan Cerakote. You lay it down in west Texas, it's lost.

[Linked Image]
That is a sweet heart Steve. But those bases wink
Horse

Water
© 24hourcampfire