Home
Posted By: ihookem savage or remington action - 03/20/11
I want a custom barrel in 223. I have a savage 12 and a Rem. 700 youth in 243. I'm wondering what action is better for a custom barrel and why.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: savage or remington action - 03/20/11
The Savage will be easier/cheaper to change the boltface on and the action is slightly stiffer than the 700 but the 700 looks way better.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: savage or remington action - 03/20/11
700 does indeed look better, by a long shot.

The Savage is easier/cheeper to change the shifter and looks sharp with a custom barrel fitted like a Remington without the barrel nut.
Originally Posted by US_Patriot
The Savage is easier/cheeper to change the shifter and looks sharp with a custom barrel fitted like a Remington without the barrel nut.

I completely agree that going nutless with a Savage is the nicest way and it does a lot to make the Savage better looking. I do nutless Savages quite often.

However, unless you have the latest Savage action with the revised bolt release you're still stuck with the rather ungainly (IMO) bolt release/cocking indicator on the RH side of the bridge.

Both actions are capable of becoming a rifle you can be very proud of.
I'll take a Savage bolt release over a Remmy's any day...
No surprize there!
Remmys are a joke, with that stupid little spring. Tempted to send mine to Kampfeld to have buttons installed on the side of the action.
The 700 bolt release is easy to use and it looks good.

The Savage one is easy to use but ugly as heck.

I'm also not a fan of the sear doubling as a bolt release as on the Savage.
I just ordered a savage barrel in 243 Ai and installed it in under 15 minutes. If I don't like it, I can change it back to a 308, or change the mag and bolt face and have a 223 Ai in under 20 minutes.

Can't do that with my remingtons, unless they have been fitted with the savage-type barrel. Even then, I'm stuck with whatever boltface I already have.

Love my remingtons, but the savage is a tinkerer's dream.

Just saying.......
Remington has resell value. No point in starting with a cheap receiver.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: savage or remington action - 03/20/11
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Remmys are a joke, with that stupid little spring. Tempted to send mine to Kampfeld to have buttons installed on the side of the action.
Do it, I did and I'm happy with it.
A year ago I would have said take the 700, today I will tell you to take the Savage. You can get the new barrel nut that is smooth and they look just fine. The old style bolt stops are a PITA. Period. They inhibit the ability to do a proper pillar bedding job and and inexplicably connected to the trigger mount. The new ones look better and work fine.

Savage seems to have a smaller loading port, making the action stiffer.

They are extremely easy to get to shoot. Cheesiest thing on the action is that stamped recoil lug.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I just ordered a savage barrel in 243 Ai and installed it in under 15 minutes. If I don't like it, I can change it back to a 308, or change the mag and bolt face and have a 223 Ai in under 20 minutes.

Can't do that with my remingtons, unless they have been fitted with the savage-type barrel. Even then, I'm stuck with whatever boltface I already have.

Love my remingtons, but the savage is a tinkerer's dream.

Just saying.......

I'd rather have (1) 700,than (3) Salvages and a quiver full of extry tubes.

Pretty easy to ring the bell on a build,for them inclined and to actually even shoot same...................
Originally Posted by nsaqam
I do nutless Savages quite often.

Only nsaqam can come up with a gem like this
Originally Posted by Big Stick

I'd rather have (1) 700,than (3) Salvages and a quiver full of extry tubes.

Could not agree more
Posted By: Ackman Re: savage or remington action - 03/20/11
Originally Posted by ihookem
I want a custom barrel in 223. I have a savage 12 and a Rem. 700 youth in 243. I'm wondering what action is better for a custom barrel and why.

Nothing wrong with the Savage action. Using the Remington you'll need to have the .473 boltface bushed to .378 which will also mean a different extractor and more expense. Most cost effective would be to just get another Rem. bolt if you can find one, or a new one from PPG. With what you've got I'd use the Savage action......changing a Savage bolthead isn't difficult and it doesn't cost much.
You gals like to make easy schit difficult. Pretty easy to swap/sell the .473" action for a .378" version of same...though I realize that'll steal your thunder.

Shaking my head.................
Pretty easy to swap/sell the .473" action for a .378" version of same...

Maybe/maybe not.... swapping depends on where you are and who's out there wanting what and finding them. Selling, then finding/buying what you're after isn't easier than just ordering a bolthead.
If that's "difficult",I'm laffin' even harder than initially...which was a belly laugh.

TFF!.....................
Fine. Little runt with a big mouth who just wants to argue.....laugh your head off.
Stupidity cain't be argued with,but rest assured I'm admiring it...mainly because you got it going on in spades...................
Fear and self-loathing in Alaska. Same little runt.
You are at the mercy of your faculties,which ain't a very purty picture.

Though few things is funnier!.................
Poor little runt isn't happy unless he's drunk and arguing.
You act like someone else is responsible,for the stupid schit you say.

PRICELESS!.................
Sober up.
How much you gotta drink,to [bleep] up swapping a 700?

Laffin'!...................
Pathetic little runt. How much you gotta drink to start shooting off your big mouth?
The Savage will be easier/cheaper to change the boltface on and the action is slightly stiffer than the 700 but the 700 looks way better.

+1
Well boys Ive had about 3 700s and that about 2.8 to many
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
I do nutless Savages quite often.

Only nsaqam can come up with a gem like this

I caught that one too. Made me laugh laugh
Originally Posted by Ackman
Pathetic little runt. How much you gotta drink to start shooting off your big mouth?

Noone could drink enough,to be as stupid as you...you've genes on your side.

laffin'!................
Originally Posted by savage62
Well boys Ive had about 3 700s and that about 2.8 to many

Thus the prudence in considering the source.

Even if it weren't whatcha' had in mind...................
Posted By: GeoW Re: savage or remington action - 03/20/11
Go with the Savage. It will be a learning exercise, smile one way or the other!

Voice of experience speaking here laugh
Posted By: Ackman Re: savage or remington action - 03/21/11

laffin'!................

Pathetic little runt. Laffin because you're cryin'. Stupid enough to think your big mouth makes you 10" taller. And too stupid to realize that being a drunk won't give you self esteem.

laffin'!................

Pathetic little runt. Laffin because you're cryin'. Stupid enough to think your big mouth makes you 10" taller. And too stupid to realize that being a drunk won't give you self esteem.

apparently you have not dealt with Big Stick before, you cant give him something this weak........come back with something better if you want to stand a chance.

laffin'!................

Deeply humored,that something so basic as an action swap,reliably stumps you.

Not that it takes much........................

Originally Posted by rockchuck828

laffin'!................

apparently you have not dealt with Big Stick before, you cant give him something this weak........come back with something better if you want to stand a chance.

I've dealt with him.....he's nothing to worry about. A little yap dog who likes to bite at people's heel.
Says the cross-eyed drooling [bleep] retard,stumped with a s/a 700.

Always dig your "knowledge" and "experience".

You go girl!...................
another good thread gone to schit
Says the cross-eyed drooling [bleep] retard,stumped with a s/a 700.

Always dig your "knowledge" and "experience".

You go girl!...................

Yap - yap......makes him feel taller than an 11yr old girl.
Why is it you Do-nothin' dumbphucks,is so eager to leave the rifle behind...after you've tried to talk about 'em via your "experience" and "knowledge"?

I'll never tire of it.

Then you Fantasize about being able to hang in my shadow,which is even funnier yet!...................

Figure he's hopin' for an even 6'?

laugh
I'm hopin' you Do-nothin' gals keep yacking about all your "knowledge" and "experience".

Priceless!...............
Stupid drunk....
Posted By: nsaqam Re: savage or remington action - 03/21/11
At least the OP got some info to base his choice on before this thread degenerated.
10-4
At least the OP got some info to base his choice on before this thread degenerated.

Went the only way it could go with the Guessing Gals trying to ply their Imaginations.

Funny how that "works".................
Your Imagination is taking you places again. Thought I was on "ignore",but alas...you's powerless in your refrain to take notes.

You're learnin'.

Poor Magnumdoosh and her rampant stupidity and vivid Imagination...whatta pair.

Laffin'!.................
Shucks...'doosh done changed her tune,yet again.

Laffin'!.............

Not sure if you're still taking votes......but here's one for Remington 700. Why? More customs are built on 700's than Savage. And more custom actions are built to copy the 700's.

True up the 700 action face and lugs and boltface once.....and you're done with it no matter how many barrels you choose to twist on and burn up.

Posted By: Flinch Re: savage or remington action - 03/21/11
Go ahead and try to resale a slightly "used" Savage action as apposed to selling a beat up and used Remington action. Remingtons will always bring more and always sell, in nearly any condition. Not so with a Savage. I have seen MANY Savage actions that I wouldn't touch. They were so rough, sloppy and had TONS of machine marks. The metal work alone on them would cost more than a couple of custom actions. They are getting "better", but still not worth building on. Flinch
Posted By: nsaqam Re: savage or remington action - 03/22/11
Used Savage actions sell all the time on sites like Savageshooters.

They bring Rem 700 money too.
Originally Posted by 257heaven

And more custom actions are built to copy the 700's.

True up the 700 action face and lugs and boltface once.....and you're done with it no matter how many barrels you choose to twist on and burn up.

Except the custom actions which use the 700 footprint but incorporate a Savage style barrel nut and a Savage style floating bolthead.

As to your other point about being able to burn up and screw on barrels with a 700, each of those barrels, even if prethreaded needs to have the chamber reamed to final depth or have the shoulder moved forward. Both are likely operations which will require the services of a gunsmith. With the Savage and it's movable shoulder you need neither a reamer nor a lathe to fit all the barrels you desire.

And more custom actions are built to copy the 700's.

Except the custom actions which use the 700 footprint but incorporate a Savage style barrel nut and a Savage style floating bolthead.

As to your other point about being able to burn up and screw on barrels with a 700, each of those barrels, even if prethreaded needs to have the chamber reamed to final depth or have the shoulder moved forward. Both are likely operations which will require the services of a gunsmith. With the Savage and it's movable shoulder you need neither a reamer nor a lathe to fit all the barrels you desire.

If I ever see you buying a Remington on the classifieds....I'm coming up there and.......!

grin

Hopefully your love of Savages will rub off on everyone and I'll have all the 700's on these classifieds to myself. Demand will go down and I'll be buyin' all I want for $200 each...including the Ti's!

Posted By: Tom264 Re: savage or remington action - 03/22/11
Not with me around you wont. grin

If I ever see you buying a Remington on the classifieds....I'm coming up there and.......!

grin

Hopefully your love of Savages will rub off on everyone and I'll have all the 700's on these classifieds to myself. Demand will go down and I'll be buyin' all I want for $200 each...including the Ti's!

My favorite rifle by far is a LH 700 KS.

Being a lefty I appreciate the consideration that Savage shows to us portsiders.
I have plenty of issues with the Savage action which I think could be better, with the looks of the bolt, the barrel nut, and the bolt release/cocking indicator being the biggest hurdles.
I do not however have any problem with how they shoot, their locktime, their impeccable gas control features, their safety location and function, and their user friendliness.

Savage Model 12 BVSS 22-250 was probably the most accurate factory rifle I ever had. Sold it and still haven't sent off the parts, including a Rem 700 action and a Brux barrel, to have another varmint rifle built up. That is one that I'll wish I never sold. But I just can't warm up to the Savage actions and definitely would not spend the bucks on one to have it customized.

© 24hourcampfire