Home
Posted By: xverminator Built to kill........... - 04/14/11
Anybody ever hold several different types/weights of .264" bullets in your hand and think, built for killin'?

Been doing this for awhile and having loaded everything from .177" to .375" I can't help but think the .264" caliber is the sexiest killer to ever come down the 'pike............

In particular, I have not been able to shake the thought of a 6lb (all up) .260 AI firing a 130gr Swift Scirocco II............I'm a big fan of the "sleeper" concept!

Let's see, a 700 Ti with light parts, a McMillan Mt. Rifle Edge, Lilja #1 @22", Talley LW's, and a 6x36 w/dots should just about cover it...

A killin' bullet with a B.C. .571, traveling 2950-3000fps, is hard to forget...I think I'll call the package, "Svelte-lana"....!

X-VERMINATOR

It'd be a killing machine 4 sure! But, going "all up" includes some rounds and a sling so don't leave home without them.. wink

Dober
Posted By: fremont Re: Built to kill........... - 04/14/11
Not to be macabre, but, as a young kid, I used to repeatedly read a coffee table book about JFK's assasination cover-to-cover. I'll never forget this description regarding Oswald's 6.5mm rifle: "A bullet....less than the width of a pencil...."

Just put the calibers on a pencil: .279"
6lbs "all up" at the above specs not do-able? I gotta believe it is............

X-VERMINATOR
fremont, there are lots of bullets less than the width of a pencil......Despite the "history", I still think the .264's sexy!

X-VERMINATOR
Even AI'd, 3,000 fps with 130 sciroccos will be a stretch, IMO (22" barrel)..

But a 6.5 SAUM... Pour on the coal. grin
Yes. The 6.5s are svelte, lethal looking projectiles, more so than most. I am currently without a 6.5, having traded my last one for a 257 Roberts. Now I hear that voice again, "Dave, Dave, buy me...." shocked
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Built to kill........... - 04/14/11
Give that Lilja an 8 twist.

6lbs all up I think is doable on the TI frame but will require lots of $.

I like it.
6.5-284 with 8.5 twist will do the job you're wanting to do. It'll push the 130's at or slightly above 3,000 fps all day long, and look good doing it. I don't see how the .260 could be any more accurate, AI version notwithstanding...

DF
Xverm--maybe I wasn't clear in what I was saying, all I was saying is "all up" includes rounds in the gun and a sling on it and to include that when your talking weight.

Side note, the 260 AI is a round I'd love to work with but if I were to do it I'd not go with a skinny #1 Lilja (had a #1 Lilja .270 and it was the biggest turkey of a barrel I ever had). No place I can and would hunt from Alaska to Namib would I need a rifle that light. I'll take a few more ounces out front and get the barrel to .6" at the mzl.

But, that's just me and what work for me.

Have you got the project done or in the works? And what you gonna be using it for?

Pics when done please

Dober
Titanium in 7mm-08 AI, 6 lbs 2 oz with 4.5-14x40. With a lightweight scope easily 6 lbs.

[Linked Image]
Looks nice, but "all up" includes rounds and sling.

What's it weigh naked? 5 lbs?

Dober
Posted By: Partagas Re: Built to kill........... - 04/14/11
Boise built a 6.5x284 on a Ti action just like you are describing IIRC. I think he even uses the Sirroco IIs.
Posted By: Nrut Re: Built to kill........... - 04/14/11
xverminator,
Cheapest way to lose weight is use a light weight stock to begin with..
Mcmillans aren't necessarily light..
The one shown above by blacktailslayer can be built to come in at around 17oz.
It's a Wildcat stock out of Alberta..
Posted By: Partagas Re: Built to kill........... - 04/14/11
I did some searching. SU35 built the 6.5x284 and shot the SII's. Boise has similar rifles but built as a 25 WSM and a 284. I followed those builds as I thought if I ever changed my 7-08 TI to something I would follow their blueprint.
Rancho, your probably right. Let's say 2950fps. That should be doable via a 22 barrel. What's 50fps with a .571 B.C. bullet anyway.....grin!

X-VERMINATOR
I know what you meant............At this point, I'm slowly collecting parts. I've had the action for about 4yrs now. Been trying to decide what to do with it.

Was digging through an old box yesterday, looking for something completely different, when I came across several boxes of .264" bullets from back when I jumped in bed with the .260 Rem. This from I think it was the first or second year that cartridge was introduce.

I don't have one sub 7 lb "all up" rifle and as I held those bullets in my hand a light came on and I remembered my Ti. Yep I think it's time I get reacquainted with the .260 Rem, only in AI this time.............

X-VERMINATOR

Originally Posted by blacktailslayer
Titanium in 7mm-08 AI, 6 lbs 2 oz with 4.5-14x40. With a lightweight scope easily 6 lbs.

[Linked Image]

Very nice, what stock is that?

X-VERMINATOR
That stock is a Wildcat composite from Alberta, it weighs 18.5oz with the swivel studs and recoil pad installed. My rifle also has a Williams steel bottom metal, BDL. You could drop even more weight going with ADL aluminum from PT&G.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Built to kill........... - 04/15/11
Wildcat Composite...? do they have a website?
http://wildcatcomposites.com/productinfo.html
Posted By: Mull Re: Built to kill........... - 04/15/11
I've Got a couple of 6.5 284'S. Both With 22" Lilja Barrels. 3000Fps Is very Doable with RL-22 And A 130. 6Lb All Up Is Gonna Be another Story..
Thank you.

Your finish on your stock?

Can you tell me about it.

Thx
Originally Posted by Mull
I've Got a couple of 6.5 284'S. Both With 22" Lilja Barrels. 3000Fps Is very Doable with RL-22 And A 130. 6Lb All Up Is Gonna Be another Story..

My best velocity with 140 SST's in the 6.5-284 was with RL-17. Good accuracy at a solid 3,000 fps. Pushed it harder, but groups started opening up. Best accuracy is with Vv 165. Haven't done a lot of work with 130's. Shouldn't be a problem with 3,000 and even a touch over with the 130's.

DF
The stock is a hydrographic dip in carbon fiber pattern. It was done by Cobra Imaging. Very nice finish on a stock, it is topped with 2 coats of a matte automotive type clear coat. It is very tough and has held up very well.
I sent them pictures of a Browning carbon fiber xbolt. I asked them to make it a little darker background, used a charcoal grey basecoat I believe.

Here is the thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=57727
Very nice, I like it.

Thx
I have been using the wildcat stocks for years, they have been a real sleeper because he was more interested in making autobody parts. Stewart is a heck of a guy and loves to talk guns, be prepared when you call to ask a question about his stocks.
He makes fantastic stocks and cheaper than other manufacturers. They do require a little more fitting than say a McMillan though.
I see he doesnt make one in SA ADL config.

Hmm.
Tom if you call he will make almost anything you want for a very reasonable price.
Thx, I will keep that in mind.

I'm saving his website on my "bookmarks" for future reference.
I just got a 7-08 Ti that's showing a little accuracy promise, however there is still that little voice calling out to turn it into a 6.5 something. I've already got a sub 8 and sub 7 lbs. 6.5x55. Figure a sub 6 lbs. 6.5 something would be even cooler. Always thought the 6.5x47 Lapua sounded sexy, although the standard .260 is probably easier.
I would build the 6.5x47 Lapua for a hunting rifle. You won't have the issue of seating bullets to the lands,and still fitting in the magazine(like the 260 will).
© 24hourcampfire