Home
I think I like it....just need to see how it shoots now.

Rem SA 700 ADL
Bolt fluting/skeletonizing by Kampfeld
Pac-Nor S/S Barrel - can't remember, but think it's a #4. Muzzle diameter is .690" at 18.5".
Brown Precision stock pilar-bedded

Ray Montgomery in Colorado trued the action and installed/chambered the barrel. It's a 358 Win throated for a 200 Gr. Hornady SP at 2.825" COL. Barrel was cut to 18.5".

I was wondering what was taking Ray so long, but didn't want to bother him. He sent the barreled action back with a note saying that he had suffered a heart attack right after he finished the rifle and was out of commission for about a month and a half. VERY understandable and I hope Ray is doing better now (for selfish reasons because I have a few more to send him).

Anyway....here it is. I used the heavier contour to keep the balance while having a compact rifle. The rifle with scope balances right at the front action screw. Weight as shown is right at 7 lbs and feels really good (technical term) to the shoulder and in shooting position.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks good.
I'm liking that muchly.
Originally Posted by Karnis
I'm liking that muchly.

I'm with him. That's a dang cool little rifle, especially with that stubby/chubby stainless tube.
Little Ray does good work!

Dober
looks great , if it were mine i would shorten the forearm couple inches,,,,,
Definitely cool! Nice scope also.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Little Ray does good work!

Dober

His protected crown is a thing of beauty!

Originally Posted by 300stw
looks great , if it were mine i would shorten the forearm couple inches,,,,,

I have thought about that and I'm torn. I may want to turn it into a long(er) barreled custom later and also may want to sell the Brown someday and order a McEdge. So I think I'll leave it as is.......for now. grin
Originally Posted by Karnis
I'm liking that muchly.

+1

I'm not a Remington 700 OR synthetic stock guy and I think think that thing looks (and is sure to function) fantastic!! The whole concept is just cool... cool
I like the length of the forearm, gives the rifle a kind of 600/660ish look.

JEff
I've had .358 thoughts for a good while now...

Thanks for the reminder...
That turned out great.
My compliments to the chef. Excellent handy rifle with alot of thump to it.

It`ll be great on the hunts.
Thats way cool.
That's what I'd call " 358heaven " right there.

Nicely done ! I'd leave the stock just the way it is.

Ken
Should be great for pigs in the mesquites or creek bottoms. Nice rig!

John
THAT'S FN HOT!!!
Very nice.
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
THAT'S FN RP HOT!!!

Corrected it for ya wink !
I am a .358 Win aficionado was well having hunted and owned the chambering since 1966.

I favor the M70 Featherweight contour barrel on M70 at .560". I will take that rifle or a 99, or a MS full stock over any Rem 700 type for hunting game.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

cool
Kewl rig there! I got a Pre '81 BLR in .358 Win. I'd like to have one in a Ruger #1 International. I think that would be a great platform for the .358 Win.
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I will take that rifle or a 99, or a MS full stock over any Rem 700 type for hunting game.

Not sure what that has to do with me.

Thanks to all the rest for the compliments. Can't wait to get it out and see how she does.

I wouldn't change a thing on that rig - VERY freaking cool!!!!

Originally Posted by Savage_99
I favor the M70 Featherweight contour barrel on M70 at .560". I will take that rifle or a 99, or a MS full stock over any Rem 700 type for hunting game.

One day, perhaps someone will introduce you to the concept of RELEVANCE.

How fast will that 200 grain hornady go from the 358? I'm wondering how far off my little 358 WSSM is from the 358 Win. Thanks!

Velocity out of the 18.5" barrel will be between 2550 and 2600 fps. Built it mainly as a truck gun when on the lease for hogs and for deer out to 300 or so yards. Most of our shots are around 100 yards.

Real nice rig 257 cool smile
Originally Posted by SKane

I like the rifle a lot. Very nicely done.

However, I would put a lighter, short to mid range scope on it with a wider FOV and get that Swaro the heck off of it. It is out of place on such a rifle IMO(even though it looks real nice).

I'd throw a VX3 1.5-5x20 or the like on it......
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

However, I would put a lighter, short to mid range scope on it with a wider FOV and get that Swaro the heck off of it. It is out of place on such a rifle IMO(even though it looks real nice).

....Yep! I agree too. That Swaro is too much scope with too much magnification for that rifle`s theme and purpose.

A 1-5x20, 1-4x20, a fixed 4x, a 1.75-6x32 (tops) would be better on a compact short to medium ranged thumper.
Haha. You guys busted me.

This is the first time I've ever had a rifle and didn't already have the proper scope to put on it. Tried a 2.5-8 and only had one with a B&C reticle and it wasn't right. Tried a few others and settled on the 3-9x36. I agree and will be looking for maybe a 1.5-5 or a straight Leupold 4x. The Swaro will do for now.

Also the first time I've ever been busted. whistle
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Ummmm, well, yeah. I was referring to the rifle and his inclination to swap out the stock or perhaps shorten. Twer it mine, it'd wear a Leupold 1.75x6 short/fat - like my .358 does. whistle laugh
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Haha. You guys busted me.

This is the first time I've ever had a rifle and didn't already have the proper scope to put on it. Tried a 2.5-8 and only had one with a B&C reticle and it wasn't right. Tried a few others and settled on the 3-9x36. I agree and will be looking for maybe a 1.5-5 or a straight Leupold 4x. The Swaro will do for now.

Also the first time I've ever been busted. whistle
....And btw, the stock`s length looks good.
Straight Leupie 3x would look good, work good.
Way, Way cool! The barrel diamater and length make the look, plus the caliber is prefect. One of the best builds I have seen in a long time.
Wanted to re-fresh this thread. 257, ever sling any 225 Sierra's? Also, when I had a 350 I used 158s for plinking, they are hell on milk jugs at 200, would jelly lungs on closer shots, they come out screaming. I bet that WCF might be on the heels of a RM with those light weight pills for cheap plinking.

I never warmed up to the idea of the lower bc 200s but know they are a chunk of lead and work well. How far have you used them on game out of curiosity?

Oh, the purple does look nice on the current stock.
now that you have had the rifle awhile what bullets have worked for you?
See how I don't have time to get on here much any more?? LOL.

Only have the Hornie 200's for this rifle. Have not shot any game with it. Have shot lots of caliche rocks. I may have to try the 158's - sounds like fun!!
© 24hourcampfire