Home
Having a 6.5-06 built. Never had one nor loaded for one, just wanted one for years. Everything is in the works, just need some suggestions on the dies from those of you running them.

Specs for the rig:

-Trued pre 82 700, going with the stock trigger on it sans bolt lock, it's set just shy of 2lbs and prob the best stock 700 trigger I've had.
-Sako Extractor
-TI type flutes, polished body, skeletonized handle, CC black handle, flutes, and shroud
-Callahan SL assembly
-Had an ADL box and older solid follower on hand
-Holland Comp lug
-BBd SS #4 Hart at 24"
-HS sporter stock, ADL, block milled a bit and MT bed, channel hulled for proper fit. Epoxy coating the stock prob grey w/ black web (to be performed by Karnis)
-Rem ADL gaurd in Matte I had on hand
-Leupie DDs in matte
-Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 Ballistic Turret w/ Plex

What do you think on dies? 25-06 S die with Bushings? Forster BR 260 seater?

I have 25-06 brass on hand, prob just roll with it to start. Thinking 120 TTSX and 130 VLDs

Thanks,

loder
I like everything in your post as to blueprint etc. And think the 25/06 brass and 120gr TTSX's are spot on. If it wre me, I would go 264 winMag but that is cming from an unrepentant, efficiency be damned, velocity whore.

Overall, sunds like a pretty terrific long range deershooter.
Originally Posted by safariman
I like everything in your post as to blueprint etc. And think the 25/06 brass and 120gr TTSX's are spot on. If it wre me, I would go 264 winMag but that is cming from an unrepentant, efficiency be damned, velocity whore.

Overall, sunds like a pretty terrific long range deershooter.

I feel ya man, that's why I have a 257 Roy running 100TTSXs at 3770 and one of my 7RMs geared twds 120TTSXs at 3450 laugh I have quite a few plain jane rigs in the stable too, so this pea shooter oughta fit in.

Have a good one,

loder
I tried 25-06 and there was a significant increase in accuracy necking down 270 win and trimming to length. I run an RCBS full length resizer and seat using a 6.5x55 screwed out a bit. Accuracy averages .5 to .6 out of a 7 pound all up rig with 140 bergers. Last group was 8 shots into .6. Running RL22 in mine.
That's been my experience with the 6.5-06 as well. Of course, after .25-06 brass is shot once in your chamber it straightens out, but .270 brass necked down starts out straight from thet get-go when sized in my Redding FL die.
You might want to look at the 6.5x64 chamber for more flexibility in your brass choices.
If you have a 257WBY, What is the draw of the 6.5/06? Seems to me you would be looking more toward a biggie like maybe a 9.3 something or a 35 Whelen. Or, at the other end of the spectrum and waaayyyy fast and fun like a 224TTH, 22 Cheetah, 22-250AI etc.

I guess, better put is "In what circumstance or hunting opportunity would you reach for the 6.5/06 over the 257ROY or the 7mm RemMag?" Sincerely curious.
Originally Posted by 338Rules
You might want to look at the 6.5x64 chamber for more flexibility in your brass choices.

http://www.loaddata.com/members/search_printable.cfm?metallicid=468&MW=&PM=&PT=

Really like the round, of course I wonder how close a quality built 6.5x284 would do in a long action? Brass....

Re: costs of your project, you could in lieu of fluting the bolt on a 700, etc. have a Borden that comes fluted, trued, etc. but I know some want to just use what's on hand when they have an action. It's an option to consider if you have not.

Swaro is NICE glass, but a top end optic w/10-12x would give me all the reach I want in a deer rifle, but only a shooter can decide what is right for their eyes, and how far they want to shoot.

I really admire the Borden Timberline action, but if you did one it will cost you a tad more than a blueprinted 700 esp. w/say a Jewell. Not that a tricked out 700 won't shoot, I know better.

I endorse a 6.5-06 or 284 version, over a mag for deer, the 6.5s will reach if you need it, and there is always the 264 WM if you go belted. Not a deer out there that can take a 120-142 from a good shooter.....and recoil will be reasonable enhancing your shootability in a rifle of modest weight.

Hart is good, and a 24" is about right sized for an '06 or 284 case should you consider the latter. I'd look at the 65/284 as brass is ready made - no forming, and dies are not custom - no premium price.

120 TTSX and 130 ABs would be my choice, though an Amax can do wonders if your shooting 500-800 yds...added BC.

Whatever your choices, sure you will have fun and a good rifle.

Oh, you did not mention twist. A 9 will work for most wts. thru 142 in the '06 case, but an 8.5 might be a great balance of versatility and pressure in your ctg. choice. I'd probably do an 8" just because that's always proven to do well in the smaller cases. Pressure might spike a tad quicker though not sure how significant.

Re: pressure, know a man who had an old 'Womack' built Mauser 98 in 65/06, sometimes he had pressure issues. Reaming necks cured alot of that, so be sure if you go that route to mike OD loaded necks and know chamber specs to allow clearance for safety. Sure you know all that.

Look fwd to hearing what you build, pics, range reports, and field reports on deer, etc. Good luck.

Originally Posted by safariman
If you have a 257WBY, What is the draw of the 6.5/06? Seems to me you would be looking more toward a biggie like maybe a 9.3 something or a 35 Whelen. Or, at the other end of the spectrum and waaayyyy fast and fun like a 224TTH, 22 Cheetah, 22-250AI etc.

I guess, better put is "In what circumstance or hunting opportunity would you reach for the 6.5/06 over the 257ROY or the 7mm RemMag?" Sincerely curious.

Personally, I think on your note about 22's....a 22BR or a 22x6.5x47 Lapua, in a 7.5 or 8" twist, would be alot of fun spitting 75s, etc. Accuracy, trajectory, wind drift would be sweet as would LIGHT recoil, and I'd expect deadly results to 400 yds or so easily, w/shot placement of course. Nothing a 220/22-250 or AI, or TTH would not do, just great Lapua brass and a simple neck down from 6mm to 22 cal required, w/a no neck turn reamer.

So many 'things to do' on the 'bucket list'.......so little time and $$$ smile
Here's mine.. 98 Mauser,good walnut,solid rifle..No bolt handle to worry about falling off...
[Linked Image]
Haven't owned one, but have shot the 6.5-06 quite a bit and think highly of it. When planning my current build I crunched the numbers, and by the time I had all the truing done to a 700 to bring it up to the tolerances of a custom action (which included a new PT&G bolt), I was within $50 of a Stiller Predator. Given retained value, that was a no brainer for me. There's a nice selection of reasonably priced custom actions out there. They will just about all come with the niceties you mentioned adding to your 700.

I don't think 6.5-06 dies are that hard to come by, so I would do that rather than try and make do with something less. Midway shows them available from Hornady, Redding and RCBS.

I would start with .270 brass. That would allow for good headspace adjustment from the get-go.

John
Thanks all. All that lacks is having the bbl installed, fluting, CC, and stock paint, so there's really no changes to main components at this point.

My main concern was with what dies to go with. I guess I'll just buy a set of 6.5-06 dies instead of going the bushing and seater of others.

SM, I have so many rifles that overlap, getting another cart for me is just having another tool for the same job. Already have a few 270s, a few 7RMs, a few 300mags, and multiple others. I don't expect the 6.5-06 to do anything my others wont do, just been wanting either a 6.5-06 or 264WM for some time to have one. I like playing with new rigs. Maybe it's a sickness, but I'll get a new one, see what all I can find that shoots, whack a few animals, and move on to another. That said, some become favorites and see more use than others, I just have a hard time parting with any of them. Probably should seek help laugh

Ya'll have a good one,

loder
I really think given the American way of thinking, a 6.5-06 given it's ballistics and performance, would be very marketable here in the USA (considering the masses feel longer/bigger is better in the US), perhaps would have been a little more popular to the masses than either the 338-06 or the short actioned 6.5s.

Not that it will do much a good 25-06, 270, or 280 will do, but for a flat mild recoiling deer rifle, it would have ALOT going well for it.

Loder - enjoy your rifle, look fwd to seeing pics when its finished.

Rifle - that's a clean svelte looking 98 in a practical round..once its loaded anyway smile

Sure would not mind seeing factory brass, rifles, and ammo for this round. If named and marketed properly it might just go over pretty well as it's not lacking in stats compared to it's competition.

And re: your 'sickness' I think you're fine. Sickness would be NOT enjoying your passion and sitting around infusing alcohol or drugs into your bloodstream....that would be more expensive, detrimental to you, and a REAL sickness!

Besides, reloading does give one more exercise right!
loder,

After having had 3 6.5x06's, I've learned a bit about the round... smile

My only critism of your build is this: It is my belief that the reason the 6.5-06 has never reached factory status, is that physically; the round is VERY close to the .25/06. So close, in fact, that if one has a .25/06 with a slightly oversized chamber in the neck area, one THORETICALLY may be able to chamber the 6.5/06 in a .25/06 rifle. (Especially if one uses .25/06 brass for forming...) Thus it would be easy to get them confused and potentially chamber the wrong cartridge. (Potentially a bad scenario...)

The obvious solution to the above is to ask your 'smith to chamber the 6.5/.270 (or the 6.5x64 Brenneke, as the case may be...) The only difference is that the chamber is .050" longer in the neck area. 6.5/06 dies can still be utilized. But by using .270 brass, this precludes the chambering in a .25/06. If, by chance, one accidentally chambers it in a .270, it won't hurt a thing, except accuracy... smile

I have two rifles so chambered and am very pleased with the concept. One was done with a Shilen barrel by the Guru of the 6.5/.270: Ray Montgomery of Grand Junction, Co. (Whom I highly recommend, by the way...) As I also have 3 rifles in .25/06 and numerous .270's, The peace-of-mind is well worth it...

GH
Since its a wildcat anyway, why not split the difference of the '06 and the Win Mag and punch it to 6.5/280AI...
Originally Posted by blargon
Since its a wildcat anyway, why not split the difference of the '06 and the Win Mag and punch it to 6.5/280AI...

Biggest detraction for the 6.5/06 AI, or the 6.5/.280 AI, is the expense of the custom dies. Whereas 6.5/06 are relatively common and about one-third the price... smile

Besides, if one really needs that extra 100 f.p.s., One could always chamber the .264 Win Mag. and light load it.

The trouble with that is, when you look at downrange ballistics, (And few people ever do...) @ 500 yds, the difference between the 6.5/06 and the .264 WM, is only abou 75-80 f.p.s. Realistically ; a deer or an antelope would never know the difference. (Using a 129 gr. Hornady..) and the trajectory difference is less than 3"... And how many people can hold 3" @ 500 yds from a field position? Thus; AFAIC, it becomes a moot point...

GH
The rationale for one....is simply the 'cool factor' smile

No doubt, ballistically it leaves little to be desired in a small bore large game rifle.
After having three 6.5-06's built over the years, I agree with Grasshopper's assessment and have always thought of the cartridge as a 25-06 on steroids. Even though I have a couple of 25-06's, a lot of the time I gravitate to a 6.5-06 when hunting. It is a sweet cartridge, plus 65BR's rationale has a lot to do with that as well!
I have 6.5x55,260,6.5-06 and a 264. The favourite is the 264.If you are doing a Sako extractor,I would go with a 264. My 6.5-06 is maxed out at just under 2900,while the 264 is loafing at 3150.The 6.5-06 is a Husqavarna 1600 and the 264 is a FN. Both are 24" barrels,repaired and trued by the same gunsmith. In the 6.5-06, RL-25 worked well, were as it reacted badly to chamber heat in 264.
Gravy, I really don't want to be relegated to using what everybody and their brother shoots, but if forced, would likely come back full circle and use a vanilla 270...A 7mag was my first rifle b/c it was a cheap used 270 was not available then...the 270 was much more fun to shoot.

The 270 is about as close to a 6.5 as I know of in all regards inc. bullet weights...and is not far off at normal ranges in the game fields, but if I had a choice, the 6.5 would win.

Bobin you listening? smile
I have a couple of those also........ and agree with you on this one as well. I have hunted with a 270 off and on for many years, but often go hunting with a 6.5-06 or a 6.5-284 or a 6.5x55 in hand. I like 'em.
I went 6.5-06AI...still working it out, but liking it so far!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Originally Posted by blargon

Biggest detraction for the 6.5/06 AI, or the 6.5/.280 AI, is the expense of the custom dies. Whereas 6.5/06 are relatively common and about one-third the price... smile

Besides, if one really needs that extra 100 f.p.s., One could always chamber the .264 Win Mag. and light load it.

The trouble with that is, when you look at downrange ballistics, (And few people ever do...) @ 500 yds, the difference between the 6.5/06 and the .264 WM, is only abou 75-80 f.p.s. Realistically ; a deer or an antelope would never know the difference. (Using a 129 gr. Hornady..) and the trajectory difference is less than 3"... And how many people can hold 3" @ 500 yds from a field position? Thus; AFAIC, it becomes a moot point...

GH

You can reload the 6.5x280AI without custom dies. I'm using a Redding Type S FL sizer with the appropriate bushing and a 6.5x284 seater to reload mine. Not much more expensive than buying any other set of dies.
Dies are a one time purchase...if the die price is going to keep you from a rifle/cartridge combo then stick with the basics or do what jlboykin does.

When I built my 6.5-'06 in 19(mumble) you could only get two bullet weights in .270 and I don't think the .25-'06 was a factory round... or if it was it was pretty new. I shot some heavy for bore bullets in it, and worked my way down to the various 120 gr to 130 gr bullets. I hunted a lot with the 140 gr Hornady Spire Poinbt. Most recently I am using the 130 gr Berger VLDs.

[Linked Image]

These bullets look like they are doing 3,000 fps just sitting there...

jim
30338 and MD,

I have a pile of 270Win brass on hand, so that it is.

Thanks all again,

loder
If it was chambered for a 6.5/270 you could use the longer neck trim length of the 270.
Originally Posted by StrayDog
If it was chambered for a 6.5/270 you could use the longer neck trim length of the 270.

It's an 06 reamer, so I'll just cut em to 06 length. On down the road it may become an AI. Anyone roll a 6.5/270AI?
I didn't see a twist mentioned. I have a 6.5-284, which is pretty close. Mine has an 8.5 twist Krieger in a hunting wt. 26" bbl. It really likes 140 SST's and Vv 165 powder. I have a Z5 Swaro 3.5-18x44 BT with an Outdoorsmans elevation turret, calibrated for that load.

This gun, on a bench, will shoot 4 1/2" at 600 yds and progressively tighter groups back to 100 yds, where the best groups have been in the teens and twos. It also does nearly as well with the 140 Berger VLD. It clocks 2,950 fps with this load.

I've shot it in the 3,000-3,100 fps range with RL-17, but the best accuracy is at 2,950 fps with Vv 165. It will go 3,000 easily with RL-17, but starts showing pressure with enlarging groups at speeds above 3,050 fps. 3,100 fps is too hot with 1 1/2" 100 yd. groups.

DF
I built mind on a Left Hand 700 and used a 1&9 twist # 3 SS Shilen barrel. My go to load is the Nosler 120 gr BT with Rel 22. It groups three of these touching at 100 yards. I make my brass from just necking up 25-06 brass. I had Eddie apply the Ceracoat Black Graphite.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sac - 6x M1??
Nice rig bea!
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Nice rig bea!

Other than the handle being on the wrong side... grin

DF
I built one a few years ago on a 700 action with a 26" #5 contour barrel with a 9 twist. It was an absolute tack driver. I hunted with it all over the country and wrote an article about it in "The Varmint Hunter" magazine. I hunted everything from prairie dogs to elk with it. My main two bullets were the 120 grain Nosler ballistic tip for deer, coyotes and pigs and the 140 grain Hornady flat base spire point for the big stuff. The 120's would do an easy 3,200 fps. and the 140's were right on 3,000 fps. I shot my biggest boar hog with the 120's. He was just over 500 lbs. I shot a couple of antelope and several mature mule deer bucks at over 400 yards. My longest kill was 746 yards, again with the 120 ballistic tips.

I found the WW .270 brass to work the best, but the .25-06 brass wasn't far behind. I just hated the trimming with the .270 brass, but I had tons of it. H4831 was my go to powder across the board.

Your blueprint looks good and you will love the round. Flinch
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Nice rig bea!

Other than the handle being on the wrong side... grin

DF

Yeah, no kidn. We'd have to flip it in photoshop to show how it really looks laugh
Thanks for the info Flinch.
That is a nice looking rifle.
It's an 06 reamer, so I'll just cut em to 06 length. On down the road it may become an AI. Anyone roll a 6.5/270AI?

Why not just go with a 270AI straight up? A 270 AI will give you about 50-70 fps more than a 270 Win and will be just more of a good thing. Just a thought.
© 24hourcampfire