Home
Posted By: DakotaDeer Echols Legend stock shape - 12/08/11
Anybody have pics of the Echols Legend stock?

Is the forend a full rounded shape or does it have flat sides?

How does it compare in shape and size to other Mickey patterns?

What do you like or dislike about it in comparison to others?
Posted By: bluefish Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/09/11
I've got one and it's the best ever.
Hi DakotaDeer,

You can check out our website www.echolsrifles.com or our blog www.echolsrifles.blogspot.com for some good pics of our stock.

Or PM me with any questions. Thanks.

Brian Bingham
D'Arcy Echols & Co.
Posted By: Sendero Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/09/11
One thing I like is the stock is cast off and I believe a little toe out. Real easy to get on the crosshairs. Maybe Brian has those measurements.

Posted By: BobinNH Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/09/11
Best synthetic design for anything from 7 mag, on up through 375H&H(as big as I have shot it with),that I have ever used.

My #1 pick in a magnum chambering.I'd also like it in a 30/06, 9.3,338/06 etc, etc.
Does it seem fuller than necessary for a 270 or light 30-06?
Posted By: GSSP Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/09/11
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Anybody have pics of the Echols Legend stock?

Is the forend a full rounded shape or does it have flat sides?

How does it compare in shape and size to other Mickey patterns?

What do you like or dislike about it in comparison to others?

Grey is the McMillian Rem Sporter and green is the Legend. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go 100% Legend!

Alan

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/Comparisons/IMG_20101027_173626.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/Comparisons/IMG_20101027_173634.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/Comparisons/IMG_20101027_173854.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/Comparisons/IMG_20101027_174446.jpg[/img]

Alan
Posted By: Huntr Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/09/11
My favorite Win. stock built around anything with a #2 Douglas or larger. Fantastic stock!
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/09/11
Alan, were you able to order the Legend from Darcy fully inletted? When I talked to him it seemed you could only get the blank and then you found a 'smith to do the inlet.

Thats where the cost would really add up.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Alan, were you able to order the Legend from Darcy fully inletted? When I talked to him it seemed you could only get the blank and then you found a 'smith to do the inlet.

Kenneth,

It was not "fully" inletted and needed some work. Contact Redneck, here on the CF, he'll know for sure.

Alan
Posted By: handwerk Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/09/11
I have one on my 1958 M70 300 H&H and just love the thing.
A great stock design for sure and some wonderful folks to deal with.
[Linked Image]

No.

If you are looking for a classic style stock it is at the head of the class.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/09/11
The Legend stock is a little fuller than some stocks and it feels perfect on my 416 Rem. For a lighter weight rifle like my 7 pound pre-64 M-70 9.3x62 you can choose their EDGE version as it makes a very light, lively and lethal little rifle.

[Linked Image]
I just love that rifle, Phil! Hey, what barrel, contour, length is on that thing?

Alan
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/09/11
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

No.

If you are looking for a classic style stock it is at the head of the class.

I agree.

Originally Posted by 458Win
The Legend stock is a little fuller than some stocks and it feels perfect on my 416 Rem. For a lighter weight rifle like my 7 pound pre-64 M-70 9.3x62 you can choose their EDGE version as it makes a very light, lively and lethal little rifle.

[Linked Image]

Phil, that appears to be an unpainted stock. How did you get it to be a little bit of a smooth satin finish rather than a dull matte?
GSSP (Alan),

Would you care to comment on the refinements in the Legend that you find convincing over the Rem Sporter?

It appears that the grip is slightly smaller and a bit more open, while the forend is a little shallower but yet rounded.

Oh, and thank you very much for the pictures--they are extremely helpful.
Thanks all for the advice.

This would be going on a pre-64 Featherweight in either 270 or 30-06.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/09/11
Originally Posted by GSSP
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Kenneth,

It was not "fully" inletted and needed some work. Contact Redneck, here on the CF, he'll know for sure.

Alan
It's inletted for the action and bottom metal, but that's it.. You have to cut the bolt notch, add a recoil pad and sand it smooth - then paint it to your choice of colors..

I'm sure I'm in the wee minority here, but I fail to see the value of buying a raw stock like that for around $400, then having to have another $200 +/- in it to finish when you can obtain a fully-done, and ready to go, McMillan for less...

I'm sure it's just me.....
GSSP (Alan),

Would you care to comment on the refinements in the Legend that you find convincing over the Rem Sporter?

It appears that the grip is slightly smaller and a bit more open, while the forend is a little shallower but yet rounded.

Oh, and thank you very much for the pictures--they are extremely helpful.

DD,

The visual differences are apparent, "if" you look. I took these pics last year to compare the two so it's more apparent. The more detailed nose of the comb, the slightly more pronounced Fine-line cheek piece, the slightly thicker, flatter forearm, the checkering pattern, the area around the floor plate.

To me, the feel is suttle, but noticeable. For me, it's hard to describe, but I like the feel better. In a smaller, less recoiling rifle, I might not care. In a heavier recoiling rifle, I believe the Legend is an improvement. The Legend stock carries a Pre 64 M70 action (definitely worthy of the Legend) in 9.3x62. Not a heavy kicker but coming into that realm.

In the year+ since I've owned both those rifles, I've posted pics of both rifles for various reasons to help good folks out. I usually receive cudos on the Legend stocked rifle. I can't recall a single "attaboy" for the other rifle.

Alan
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/09/11
400? I'm thinking more like 550......plus the 'smith.

Now that I think about it, 550 may have been for the edge fill version.
My notes say I paid $478 for my stock.

Alan
I have an Echols on my M70 Safari Classic .458WM

One thing I've noticed, the design and ergo seems to diminish felt recoil, and follow up shots are a little quicker.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/09/11
I can't say from experience but the forend does look a bit full doesn't it?
For a light rifle, I love Bansner stocks does anyone know from having both, if Bansner or Legend feels best for a light gun?
Posted By: Huntr Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/10/11
I have had a Bansner, and I currently own a Legend. I would take the Legend over the Bansner any day, and I do like the Bansner stock BTW.

Here is a Legend stock on a lefty M70 with a Douglas #2 in 7X57.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Brad Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/10/11
Chip, I thought the Legend has a cheek-piece?
Brad,
You are correct, the Legend does have one.
Originally Posted by Huntr
I have had a Bansner, and I currently own a Legend. I would take the Legend over the Bansner any day, and I do like the Bansner stock BTW.

Here is a Legend stock on a lefty M70 with a Douglas #2 in 7X57.

[Linked Image]

That is one heck of a rig, except for one minor challenge. I normally shoot righty can do allright lefty but that's not the challenge with it. Now if it was a 7 Mashburn Super instead of a 7X then my man you'd be a total Rock Star.. grin
Mashburn? Never heard of it... grin
Posted By: KSJohn Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/10/11
I have a Legend on a 338 WM with a #4 PacNor barrel on it that Redneck built for me. I like it very much. I have a Rem Sporter too and the Legend forend is more rounded and also narrower. The grip on the Legend is more open as well.
Mashburn? Never heard of it... grin

Me thinks I could find someone who could edumacate you on that... wink

And yes I love the open grip on the Legend as well.

Dober
I have Legend on a Model 70 30/06 with a Shelen #3 conture barrel. Very happy with the set up.It is a well designed stock.
Originally Posted by Brad
Chip, I thought the Legend has a cheek-piece?

They do. What's probably throwing you off is Chip's rifle has the bolt handle on the wrong side. wink
For a short action or .270/30-06 I much prefer the Hill Country Rifle Bridges stock.
The Echols Legend shape is my favorite McMillan stock... The lines and balance are "just right", especially with a LA M70 and standard contour barrel.
Originally Posted by FOsteology
For a short action or .270/30-06 I much prefer the Hill Country Rifle Bridges stock.

As do I for everything up to and including a .300 Roy and a .338 Win Mag.

The Echols is beefier than it needs to be through the foreend and grip.

Had one on a 340 Roy and sold the rifle.
Is the Bridges Pattern still available?
Yes, I have one inbound this week from HCR for a 7mm Dakota on an M-70 classic.
They offer them with Edge Fill?

What's the cost from HCR?

Thanks!
Posted By: GSSP Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/10/11
The Echols Legend shape is my favorite McMillan stock... The lines and balance are "just right", especially with a LA M70 and standard contour barrel.

Like this? grin

http://www.riflestockpainting.com/images/AG9362.jpg

Alan
Yes, the Dakota and the .338 both have Edge fill. I'd have to double check cost when I get home Sun nite....
Is the Bridges Pattern still available?

I talked to Earl Bridges directly a month or so ago,and they are. IIRC there was a premium (though not much, as I've forgotten what it was) over the cost of a regular pattern direct from McM.

Regarding the OP, I have a Legend blank destined for a 375H&H with a #4 barrel. To my eyes, the size of it will dwarf a 22" FW barrel and the combo would be very disproportional, though if the stock fits and handles for you, looks only mean so much.

How would you compare such a stock setup to a Kimber MT?
Any pics of the Hill Country Bridges stock?
Dakota, send me your email via PM and I'll send you a few tomorrow evening

It's a bigger stock for sure, but the lines are pleasing and it has about zero drop in the comb like I prefer. As I and others pointed out, it's really at its best with a LA and bigger barrel contour.

I'd forgotten about the Bridges stock... pic's of it were posted her a few years back... great looking little stock with a comb like the Montana. A better stock IMO than the Hunters Edge Compact which has more drop in the comb than I prefer.
Found it... here's the link to Utah7-08's excellent thread with pic's...

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5534487/1
Thanks for the link. I've found the Compact Edge that I had was okay but I prefer a fuller round forend and a cheekpiece.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/10/11
I just got back from shooting mine....... SWEET! grin
Posted By: Sendero Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/10/11
I had a Bridge's stock on a Winchester pre 64 300HH and a Lilja #3 barrel with Williams's bottom metal (or Blackburn...can't remember) and it weighted 8 1/2 lbs. with a 3.5X10 Leu. and Talley qr rings. I'm pretty sure it wasn't an edge stock. The Lilja contour was pretty sleek though. Gun was made by Hill Country.

That barrel filled the stock up pretty good but worked out fine but I think the Bridges would look better with a #2 contour or smaller and the Legend with a #2 or larger.

Take a look at the grip on the Bridge's stock. It doesn't fit some folks as well as the Legend.........worked fine for me though. I liked it real well.

At the time I had a 300 win. mag. with the standard fill Legend. The 300HH, with the Bridge's, had less felt recoil to me than the 300 Win. with the legend which weighed over 9 lbs. overall. Both shooting factory ammo.
Posted By: djp Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/11/11

That thread should have been a sticky...too much useful info to be buried.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/11/11
Originally Posted by djpepper

I agree!
Posted By: TXRam Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/11/11
Thanks for the link. I've found the Compact Edge that I had was okay but I prefer a fuller round forend and a cheekpiece.

Was thinking I was the only one! I wish the Supergrade forearm was more rounded, but I can live with it much better that the Compact's short & skinny forearm.
Pics sent to those who requested photos of the Bridges. If I missed anyone shoot me a PM.

Mac-does someone round the valley have one? And if so, what cal and what contour tube on it as I wish to talk with them.

Thx

Dober
Posted By: TXRam Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/14/11
Originally Posted by Redneck
I'm sure I'm in the wee minority here, but I fail to see the value of buying a raw stock like that for around $400, then having to have another $200 +/- in it to finish when you can obtain a fully-done, and ready to go, McMillan for less...

Nope, I feel the same. Especially since I can't handle one until I've spent that $600-700.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/14/11

It's a bigger stock for sure, but the lines are pleasing and it has about zero drop in the comb like I prefer. As I and others pointed out, it's really at its best with a LA and bigger barrel contour.

I'd forgotten about the Bridges stock... pic's of it were posted her a few years back... great looking little stock with a comb like the Montana. A better stock IMO than the Hunters Edge Compact which has more drop in the comb than I prefer.

A model 70, Echols Legend Edge and a #3 mike rock is like peas and carrots..At least in .30 cal.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/14/11
Originally Posted by TXRam
Originally Posted by Redneck

Nope, I feel the same. Especially since I can't handle one until I've spent that $600-700.

The legend has no peer as it pertains to M70 stocks and I have tried a few..a few too many.
Originally Posted by djpepper

I agree!

I agree too. I made up one of those templates too and it works great for comparing different stocks....
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/14/11
Originally Posted by Sendero
..... The 300HH, with the Bridge's, had less felt recoil to me than the 300 Win. with the legend which weighed over 9 lbs. overall. Both shooting factory ammo.

That's because the factory ammo for the 300 H&H isonly doing between 2800-2900...and even with top and loads the 300 H&H recoils les than a 300 Win.Tat more than stock desgn, is the reason I suspect.

I have experienced the Legend reducing felt recoil in the same 300 Weatherby by a discernable degree.
Posted By: utah708 Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/17/11
I haven't been at the fire too much in recent months, but a McMillan Legend thread is enough to get me to post.

The Legend was designed to match perfectly with big guns, say a 24" #5 contour or bigger. That is because much of D'Arcy's trade is Africa-bound guns that are .300 Win or larger, often much larger. The forend in particular is large, so that you have enough to control a heavy recoiling rifle. But for being as large as it is, it is remarkable graceful in the hands.

I love the Legend, in fact just picked up my fourth on the used market. For a magnum sized rifle, it is without peer. But I dropped a featherweight contour barreled action in one, and it looked quite silly--like a child walking around in his father's boots. The proportions were all wrong. For a light gun, I really like the Compact pattern better.

Legend with a factory 375 H&H barreled action
[Linked Image]

Compact with a .270 fwt contour barrel
[Linked Image]

By the way, I owned a Bridges for a short while and REALLY did not like the cross sectional shape of the grip. It came to much to sharp a point for my liking. Sold it before bedding it or even shooting it.

It is also nice to see my stock template photo essay being useful to people.
Posted By: RickF Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/17/11
Originally Posted by utah708

Legend with a factory 375 H&H barreled action
[Linked Image]

Can you tell us more about the finish on that stock? Thanks.
Posted By: pointer Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/17/11
IIRC, he had that one hydrodipped by a shop in ID. A search might turn up the thread on it. Looks GREAT!
Posted By: GSSP Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/17/11
Originally Posted by pointer
IIRC, he had that one hydrodipped by a shop in ID. A search might turn up the thread on it. Looks GREAT!

You mean to say that's not real wood?

Alan
Posted By: pointer Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/17/11
Found the link, it's a hydrodipped Echols Legend:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread..._Let_s_see_a_picture_of_your#Post5442829
Posted By: GSSP Re: Echols Legend stock shape - 12/18/11
Utah708,

Which wood pattern from Hydro-Dip did you use? I'm guessing #196, 207 or 121?

http://www.hydro-dip.com/all_patterns.htm

Alan
© 24hourcampfire