Home
I am sure this will surprise many of you. I have built and tested 6mm Rem, 257 Roberts, 6.5-'06, 7mm Mauser, 30-'06 and 338-'06. And, drum roll.....my favorite is the 30-'06 Ackley.

Here's why. The old '06 is a bit overbore(915.4} for starters but still has issues with the new powders and extremely long high BC bullets. Once Acklied there are no more issues. 150 grain for deer to 200 grain Accubond for Elk(BC.588). The extra 150'/sec equals a combination that is very flat and packs over 2000'lbs of E out to 450 yards without beating you to death.

What's yours? Regards, Rick.
What kind of speed are you seeing with the 200gr ab from your 06?
.22-250AI cause it's the one I have now and hate trimming brass
No mention of the 280 3 posts in.. You guys are slipping....

W
Trimming brass is a reason.

The speed diff in a non-AI can be offset w/a few clicks...and if one is shooting far, you need to click anyway when you get far out there...

I'd happily run a 243 8 twist, 280/162s, or '06 w/heavies and not worry about MV so much, yes it matters but I don't worry about 100-200 fps myself.

I guess for some depending on how far and how much wind, it does.

250 AI is one I'd like to try...alot of AI's I have concerns w/feeding, and for a hunting rifle, I'd rather POSITIVE 100% slick feeding vs. extra speed.

Shoulder angle, and many other factors affect feeding.

Factory rounds like 25-06 and 270s and yes the Springfield seem boring and less aesthetically appealing perhaps, but most always will get a job done w/good bullets and a good pilot.

I don't like trimming brass either btw, but I don't like having to form or fireform, to get my end product...extra step, time, components, money, and mostly - time.

Just me, but wildcats can be fun to play if you DO have time/money and willing to spend it. I have played w/a few over the years, mostly TCUs in TCs.
Originally Posted by 65BR
...alot of AI's I have concerns w/feeding, and for a hunting rifle, I'd rather POSITIVE 100% slick feeding vs. extra speed.

Shoulder angle, and many other factors affect feeding.

Ditto for me.....
Mine is the .280 AI because it is a SAAMI standard now...jim
.243 AI is my favorite. It generally solves the peculiar internal ballistic propensities of the standard .243 and lets me get the original factory claimed velocities for it safely. You get a full 6mm Remington but can take advantage of all the slippery bullets in 6mm with lots more seating depth latitude.

Should mention that I only have two so far, the .243 AI and .250 AI. Wouldn�t mind playing with an 8 twist .22-250AI some day.
My favorite is the 250AI. Its not the speed, its really just a 257bob speed wise, which is a just fine place to be.

It does what the bob does with long case life, very little trimming. Its modest velocity (compared to the long action 25's) should equate to long barrel life. Mild recoil, mild noise and plenty of power for deer at any normal ranges.

The short overall length gives lots of flexibility for seating bullets all the way from round noses to VLDs in a short action
Have several AI's, 223, 243, 6mm, 6.5-257, 6.5-06, 270, 8mm-6, 8x68S, 35 Whelen, like them all. However, none of these do anymore than their parent cartridges in terms of killing critters. With what little velosity that is achived critters would not know the difference nor be able to step out of the way before a bullet hit home anyway. So gains in this velocity and that velocity, IMO, is not worth discussing with AI's.

Reason #1 Brass life, head space, trimming and sizing ease.

Reason #2 Somthing different and somthing to play with.
Mine is the 25-06 ackley just cause I like to have something different. And my brass lasts forever. Never had a problem feeding in my remington 700 action but maybe im just lucky.
223AI and 250AI. No case trimming is king, plus the 250AI gives you a 257 Roberts that actually does fit skookum in a short action.

Hoping to find one that don't feed one of these days, but it ain't happened.
375-06 AI Very difficult to form cases and therefore keeps the riff-raff (SP) from having one. Ha! Laughing. I would never have another AI of any sort (having had 25-06, 280, 338-06, 375-06, and 375 H&H all AI'd)
I have had a bunch, the best ones are the ones that take a sloped shoulder oldie moldy and REALLY improve it. My 348AI was probably the one that gave the most noteable velocity increase and did make it another animal. 22-250 and 220 Swift are among the better ones to AI as well because in thier non AI trim they grow too long too fast and the velocity gains are significant. I am currently playing with a 6mmAI and expect great things.

Built my 338-06 Ackley for the some of the same reasons....little if any case trimming, bit more velocity. Recomendation by my gunsmith b/c he had a few personally, and to BE DIFFERENT!!!

LOVE IT!!! Built on a Sako m75 Greywolf
[Linked Image]
17 Ackley Hornet. Most fun I have ever had with a rifle, they are just plain fun to shoot. I do have a pretty strong 250AI itch that I am about to scratch.
257 Roberts Ackley Improved.

I've got a barrel for my "new" 338-06 AI waiting to be finished, but I doubt it'll be as awesome as the .257 AI.

That having been said, I don't have experience w/ other cartridges so I have no basis upon which to say it is the "best," just my favorite.

I'd love to try out a handi little 20" barreled 250-3000 AI on a short action someday...
Originally Posted by rc82bttb
What kind of speed are you seeing with the 200gr ab from your 06?

Average with IMR 4064 is 2770 and can be bumped up a bit. I want to work up some loads with the RL22 some day.....that 200 grain AB is a mean dude. Regards, Rick.
I've Got Several And Like Them All. 20 Tactical, 223AI, 22BR, 22 Dasher, 6.5-250AI.6.5-284. 7x57AI. All Have Their Place, and Really Do Nothing Better Than a Standard Cartridge..But I Do Like Having Something a Little Different
250AI. Built one in an A-bolt Micro-Hunter left handed, my son now has that one. Mine is a lightened Rem 700. Both are great rifles. I head spaced the Rem on a piece of brass fired in the A-bolt. Life is good when life is simple.
7x57 Ackley because in the world of wildcats it's rather uncommon. And it does what Ackley said it would do.
It's a wonder I ever killed anything with just a plain ol' vanilla 30-06 and 280 Rem.
It's a wonder you ever killed anything.
I have a 25-06AI and a 280AI,I really like them both cuz they just flat out kill stuff.
Merry Christmas Mr. Steelhead
17 Ackley Hornet, 223 AI, 22/250 AI, 243 AI, 6Rem AI, have all been real winners.
.280AI for me. Accurate, flat shooting, lethal on game, and no brass to trim.
Depends on what I'm hunting.

Deer 257 Ack or 280 Ack
Elk 338-06 Ack
Varmints 22-250 Ack

I have rifles in all of the above listed rounds.
Your varmint rifle is a deer rifle too
I have the 338-06, 243, and of course the 280. I would have to say I like them all, but I feel like I get the most out of the 243 AI. I shoot it more, I got a better increase in velocity, an 8 lb can of powder goes a ways, and last but not least it's the cheapest left-over parts rifle I own and it shoots awesome.

Joseph
280 A.I. , nearly perfect.
I have owned Ackleyfied 223, 257Roberts, 7mm-08 and 280. The only one I own at present, and the only one I have built more than one of, is the 223. I suppose that answers the question.

I have 2 AI cartridges, 257 Roberts & 338/06. The first was the 338, but I have used the 257 more to hunt with. I built the 338 to hunt elk and other large game. I went elk hunting one time and all I saw was cows, I did hear a bull, but someone else shot it before I could locate him. After that, I havent had the time to go again. I have taken 3 deer with the 257 since my Dad & I put it together 3 years ago. I love it and at this time it's my favorite.
280 AI - BEFORE Nosler stuck there nose in it !!!!

Sure am glad that I own the 280AI reamer that my current 280AI is, and any future gun will be chambered with.

.280 Ackley

Why? Because it kills schit.

Steve

223AI because it does this to hogs.
[Linked Image]
Some great posts here and I thank you all.....You call it the way you see it and not one negative post. I love my Acklies! Regards, Rick.
I've killed lots of hogs with lots of calibers and never done that to one of them. Looks like you stuffed a grenade in its ass.
22-250AI because I own one.
223AI because it works from p'dogs to whitetails.....and no case trimming.
+1
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Your varmint rifle is a deer rifle too

I have killed 3 nice bucks with the 22-250 Ack
Mine too is the 30-06 AI--but 99% of that is due to the handling qualities of the particular rifle--practically perfect in every way, just like that flying broad...

I had a 7x57AI that I really liked but sold it for some inane reason. It would touch 3100 w140s easily and the pockets held up.

My 280AI is the most all-around useful for me--it probably negates the need (I have) for most of the rifles on hand. Sad situation.
Originally Posted by BradArnett

The tiny weak 223 is not humane nor even legal on deer for good reason.

Reloaded brass needs to be trimmed from time to time. So called AI does little but pull the neck in shorter on fire form.

If your just neck sizing with say a Lee collet die then ok. Otherwise sized brass stretches.
Obviously, you have little real world experience with AI rounds nor the 223 version topped with TSX bullets on medium game or you would not say such. Even a plain vanilla 223 with a Barnes bullet is a reliable and deadly deer round. We are not limited to cup and core bullets anymore. The game has changed, much for the better.
I got my first rifle chambered for a so called 'improved' cartridge in 1959.

I met and talked with Lysle Kilbourn. Do you know who he was?

I designed my own improved cartridge on the 375 H&H case and have dies that will headspace it on the shoulder.

It makes no sense to shoot a nice big game animal with a 223 unless you don't care how it dies and think that you will impress someone when you say:

"Thats all you need." <--- Typical statement from a small bore shooter of big game.

John Barsness reported that Barnes type mono bullets were the slowest killers of deer. But then they may not know any better or perhaps don't care!

[Linked Image]

These 2 deer from a couple weeks back must have missed the memo that they weren't supposed to drop in their tracks and die when hit with .22 cal 62gr TSX
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That's a campfire fav of mine, I could use a 22/250 like that!

Dober
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Reloaded brass needs to be trimmed from time to time. So called AI does little but pull the neck in shorter on fire form.

If your just neck sizing with say a Lee collet die then ok. Otherwise sized brass stretches.

Sweet Jesus, I bet you don't wipe your ass because of a bad experience with corn cobs in 1803.
Did your parents have any kids that weren't retarded, just curious?

HAhaha!

No really!!!!

Your joking.....right?

Really??!!??
A 223 AI I put together in '95 for West Texas coyotes and a 250 AI I put together in 2000 for my son's to use on whitetails, hogs and the like. Haven't shot the 223 in years.
.250 AI is the only one I've had and I think highly of it. Works great in a 2.8" box and offers much performance for such a small package. The 25-06 AI is interesting to me. Pretty darn close to .257 Wby performance but without the hassles of a belt.

John
348 AI longer case life
And, in the case of mine, quite an improvement in horsepower. 250gr Barnes Original style RN pills at 2600fps is a thumper!
My '06 improved was a 338-06...not acklerized wink

200s 2909, yes O 9 smile 23"......and there was always a 225@2670 on tap.

Now a 243 improved is a 6mm Benchrest IMHO smile 2/3 Powder, 90-95% speed, ALOT more bore life...and deer deadly - confirmed/tested to 400 yds by yours truly!

I could like a 6mm-308 AI if Saami had one..

Maybe Big Green would do a 6mm-08 30 degree...Nahhhh...

Olin won't b/c it would get mixed up w/243 Win

On that 223 is too small and mono's kill slower....

Well I'd say there are alot of variables...shot placement, bullet, etc.

The least significant in my book is headstamp.

Unless someone can tell me of any animal that died from a brass case?

Bullets thru vitals kill, never brass cases...and deer don't read...nor are surrounded by 'Chronograph bullet proof shields.'
.458 Win AI
I haven't messed with any AIs yet, but I'm pretty sure my first will be a .280, then maybe a fast-twist .223, then fast twist .243. Others I've thought about:
.22-250
6mm (in a #1)
.250 Savage
7x57
.338-06
Originally Posted by devnull
.458 Win AI

Please tell me it's a 1 in 2 twist so you can use the 1000 grain A-Maxes. wink
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
.458 Win AI

Please tell me it's a 1 in 2 twist so you can use the 1000 grain A-Maxes. wink

You hit the nail on the head. wink
I guess this is the reason I like the '06 Ackley. 277 Yards, 150gr Nosler BT ....10 ring ....boom splat. Regards, Rick.

[Linked Image]
Nice buck - congrats!

KDK - good choices.

The 223 AI necked up to 6, 6.5 and 7mm have done well for me in the past wink
.458 Win AI

You mean one of these?

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
.458 Win AI

You mean one of these?

[Linked Image]

Prezactly!
Originally Posted by sakorick
What's your favorite Ackley caliber and why.

Favorites are the 308 NAI and 270 NAI... that's the 308 Non-Ackley Improved and 270 Non-Ackley Improved.

Great rounds...
Boar-ring..... smile

Ya my oldest 223AI junk RP brass has 20+ firings on it now without a trim. I guess if it ever gets to the point it does need one I'll just toss it and FF another 100 cases and figure that I got my moneys worth out of it.

Not even gonna waste my time to argue about using .224's on deer as its obviously a waste of time with you and something that's way over your head. Your comment is laughable at best. sleep
I did a 30-06AI about twenty years ago. As Ackley himself stated, the '06 improved is a waste of time except with heavy bullets and slow powders. With 180's and 190's over H4831 it is a pretty darn good thumper. On both ends!

I kind of, might have, a jones-ing for a 25-06AI, but it would be hard to justify on my budget with a 264 Win mag in the stable.

So my favorite is my 22-243AI. It is done on an old Savage 112 22-250 varmint rifle; 26 inch, single shot, factory barrel. But it will still print into a half inch at 150 yds with moly'ed 60 gr Hornadys at 3900 fps plus.

I am working on burning up this barrel so I can try a 9 inch twist.
While I have had a 257 AI, 30-06 AI, 338-06 AI, my favorite is the 35 Whelen AI.

Why, because of all the riles I have had that had an AI chamber, the 35 shows the least difference in point of impact shooting both standard and AI loads. So, I have all the advantages, real and perceived, of an Ackley chamber but if I happen to need to substitute a regular ole 35 Whelen round my point of impact doesn't hardly change at all.

So, something that on paper gives me little or no advantage can still be useful to me. wink

That's got to be a true "Rifle Loony" deduction there. laugh

BTW, I blame Mule Deer and Grasshopper for most of this because they sold me the dies for it and the rifle. Never mind Mule Deer told me it was a fruitless endeavor, he enabled me when he sold the dies so cheap. smile laugh grin
Originally Posted by sakorick
.....my favorite is the 30-'06 Ackley.
What's yours? Regards, Rick.

He should have stuck with the obvious winner, the 280 Remington, which he must have worked with extensively before moving on.
My favorite is the .257 Roberts Ackley. I started varmint hunting with it back about 1968. Thought my first few kills were misses until I found a little thumbnail size piece if skin and a tail. The rest was painted on the log where it had been standing. Needed a paper towel to be sure the pinkish spots were wet or not. Gruesome is good in squirrel splattering.

Love those Barnes 80 grain TTSX's on the little rats. Such as this one, where something is missing, like the gut strung out on the flora, and little red pieces of performance art speckling the landscape.

[Linked Image]

Or maybe this one that appears to have lost a bout with a blender.

[Linked Image]

How about three blind rats all in a row at 200+ yards. The arrow points to the smallest rat I ever connected with - it folded inside-out.

[Linked Image]

All of which proves that homogenizing varmints is more fun with an Ackley improved anything. My new .22-250 Ackley awaits the spring. Now if Barnes only made a Varmint Grenade in .257" life would be ideal.

I've got AIs in 223, 243, and 280. Fave is the 223AI, and yes, it does quite well on deer, as do my vanilla 223s.

I still have a hankering for a 250AI and 25-06AI, but would probably build another 25-284 first.
WranglerJohn,

How fast are you getting those TTSX's to go? Tried some in my standard Bob but not seeing the velocity yet.

Thanks!
25AckleyKragImproved.
I have as many Ackley Improved, reamers, as the parent calibres. With a 280 Rem. AI 35 Whelen AI switch barrel rifle, I can dispatch about any critter, I care to hunt.
Welcome to the fire 440dodger.
243AI because it's a great deer/predator combo rifle. No trimming is always a plus, and you can't legally hunt deer in the commonwealth of Virginia with a 223AI!
I like them all. I hate case trimming.
Not looking for magic velocity increases

Favorites -
.280AI (Original Non-SAAMI, what were they thinkin?),
6mmAI, 22-250AI

.338-280AI and 6.5-280AI are both intriguing cats
I always enjoy answering this one, no matter where I see it.
My favorite AI may not be considered an Ackley. I call it Gene's .25x2. I took a .257AI Roberts reamer and short-reamed by 1/4". The rifle is an M98 Mauser with a 20" barrel, and a 2-7x Widefield scope. It does anything I could ask, as I would a .250AI Savage.
I also have a Silhouette rifle, M98, chambered for the ".30 GBS" which is an Ackley .30/06 short-reamed by 1/4". It works great as a target rifle, but would make a fine hunter, too. Both of these rifles don't need to be trimmed after the first sizing after fireforming.
The last is a .375/348 AI in an M71 Winchester that I built for walks down by the river, when I lived in Alaska. I fear nothing as I walk the valley in the shadow of the Brooks Range, as I've the baddest carbine here.
The Hornady 300gr soft pointRN at 2250fps from a 20" barrel is enough fo ME.
Have fun,
Gene
25/35 Ackley
Don't know if I have favorite ackley but the 22-250 version don't suck
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Neither does the 223,250,25-06,or 280
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee446/DroptineStables/8b1d367c.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee446/DroptineStables/487ea7d3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee446/DroptineStables/0317322e.jpg[/img]
Kaleb- sweet rigs! Always cool to have a gal that likes to spend primers with ya!
I think the biggest advantage to my ackley rifles is the fact others can,t shoot my ammo, but i can shoot theirs!
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
WranglerJohn,

How fast are you getting those TTSX's to go? Tried some in my standard Bob but not seeing the velocity yet.

Thanks!

Just shy of 3,500 fps with 48.0 grains of H-380 in a 26" 1:10' Schneider barrel. Thing is, in my rifle they have to be seated exactly .050" off the lands, anything less or more opens groups way up.

[Linked Image]

This is about as good as I can shoot these days with aging eyes. The diamond is .55" across the flats, a fouler and two blow-its but seven shots went through the group.

Great bullet.

Another good load is the 75 grain Hornady V-Max with 47.5 grains of H-380 and a Federal 215 GM primer 2.780" OAL at the same velocity (3,480). Tinkering with the primer type may improve the accuracy (.5") even further.

I use the Ackley for case shape that reduces (nearly eliminates) case stretching, accuracy usually develops below the maximum possible velocity.
Thanks for the info
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Sweet Jesus, I bet you don't wipe your ass because of a bad experience with corn cobs in 1803.

Dammit! I just spewed tea on the desk!

I've played with K Hornet, 223AI, 22-250AI, Bob AI, 280AI, 338-06AI, and about to start with a 6mmAI. But since I have 4 of 'em, I'd say my fave's the 223.

Pete
A .223 AI on deer? You must be kidding, thats way too much gun. Stick with the vanilla version... grin
© 24hourcampfire