Home
Posted By: scallop 7mm-08 Twist Rate and Stock - 01/13/12
I am getting my M700 re-barreled and chambered to 7mm-08 Rem. The gunsmith I use recommends a 1-10 twist for bullets up to 140 gr. and 1-9 twist for bullets 150 gr. or more. (This gun is primarily for hunting deer.) I would like to be able to load this gun mostly for 140 gr. bullets but have the option of a heavier bullet if I ever draw a PA elk tag. (Possibly 150 gr. Partition.) What twist should I select? If I go with 1-9 twist, can I shoot the light bullet weights? I am assuming, if I select the 1-10 twist, I am stuck shooting 140 gr. or less bullet weights. Also, I am not sure about stock choice. Is the McMillan Hunters Edge that much better than the Bell & Carlson Ti. The McMillan Hunters Edge costs twice as much as the Ti if not more. (I am trying to put together a nice carry rifle in the 7.25 lb. range) Any help would be appreciated. However, I have my heart set on the 7mm-08 Rem chambering.
Go 9" and shoot everything well.
What about the 1 - 9.5"? Remington uses a 1 - 9.25"... Seems a 1 - 9.5" would pretty well set you up for either or. Pac-Nor barrels offers a 5 groove 1 - 9.5"...
Consider selling the 700 as is and upgrading the entire rifle at the same time. Look at other brands and designs.

As for the twist always get the slightest faster one. The standard on the 7-08 must be around 1-9.
Consider selling the 700 as is and upgrading the entire rifle at the same time. Look at other brands and designs.

That act is tired.
The gunsmith I use prefers to use Hart barrels. They only come in 9 or 10 twist. No 9.5 twist.
The gunsmith I use prefers to use Hart barrels.

Make sure the 'smith is clear on your weight goals. Hart blanks come with a lot of full diameter shank, so have him cut it short.
You can do anything with 120 grain bullets. 120 NBT's for deer. 120 TSX's for anything tougher.
1-9 twist. Don't overdue it on shank length or barrel contour. Mcmillan Edge.
I know I have said this before, but my son harvested a cow moose w/ a 120gr TTSX from his SS Mdl 7 7mm-08. I certainly would use this on a bull elk.
Hart has a bunch of contours programmed into their CNC lathe. They could just duplicate the factory contour to drop right in the Ti stock.
Originally Posted by scallop
I am getting my M700 re-barreled and chambered to 7mm-08 Rem. The gunsmith I use recommends a 1-10 twist for bullets up to 140 gr. and 1-9 twist for bullets 150 gr. or more. (This gun is primarily for hunting deer.) I would like to be able to load this gun mostly for 140 gr. bullets but have the option of a heavier bullet if I ever draw a PA elk tag. (Possibly 150 gr. Partition.) What twist should I select? If I go with 1-9 twist, can I shoot the light bullet weights? I am assuming, if I select the 1-10 twist, I am stuck shooting 140 gr. or less bullet weights. Also, I am not sure about stock choice. Is the McMillan Hunters Edge that much better than the Bell & Carlson Ti. The McMillan Hunters Edge costs twice as much as the Ti if not more. (I am trying to put together a nice carry rifle in the 7.25 lb. range) Any help would be appreciated. However, I have my heart set on the 7mm-08 Rem chambering.

The matching of twist to the exact weight bullets you want to shoot is a waste of time IME.

My 7-08 is a 1-9" and it shoots everything well. I see no point in a 1-10".

I don't know what all is going into your build regarding glass and barrel contour but you should be able to use a standard fill McMillan and still reach your goal weight.

Travis
Posted By: 65BR Re: 7mm-08 Twist Rate and Stock - 01/13/12
+1
Posted By: slg888 Re: 7mm-08 Twist Rate and Stock - 01/13/12
9 twist
Posted By: Huntr Re: 7mm-08 Twist Rate and Stock - 01/13/12
9 twist... My son just killed his first elk with a 140gr. Accubond and the standard Rem. twist.
I would go with a 9 also..now, what about neck diameter and freebore..very important IMO..do you even know what reamer your smith has or do you consider them all equal as long as they will shoot the 7mm08..Oh, pay the money and get a McMillan..maybe even a regular fill Mt Rifle with nice camo color and a number 2 contour barrel with a short shank length..
Posted By: j2dogs Re: 7mm-08 Twist Rate and Stock - 01/14/12
I have a Browning x-bolt, micro hunter. I believe the twist is 1:9.
Shot 120 grain Rem. core-lokts they shot crappie.
Tried some of my handloads. 139 grain GMX with 41 grains of 4064 moa all day long.
Do not know if that helps. I think the longer bearing surface of the "Mono" bullet helped it.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/caliber_twist_rates.htm
Any idea what the Winchester featherweights twist rate would be? I don't see it on their site...
Posted By: Jowiri Re: 7mm-08 Twist Rate and Stock - 01/14/12
harv3589,

Winchester uses 9.5.

On the website, you can click on each of the calibers listed under the different gun models & you will find more details such as twist.

M70 FWT 7-08

-Jonathan
My 708 had a 1-10 twist and it stabilized up to and including the 168 SMK. Unless you are shooting 175 and 180 SMKs or 168-180 Berger/JLKs, the 10 twist is perfect.

My most accurate load was with 168 Sierras and Varget.

My next best load was with 110 TnTs; that is quite a range.

I guess I am the only one posting on this thread that has actually used a 10 twist and it works great. I see no need for the 9 twist unless he is shooting the VLD heavies.

I like everything about this except the Hart barrel. I have used my last Hart!!!
Thanks for all the input. The rifle specs. will mostly be as followed. Remington 700 SA all trued up and worked over, McMillan Mountain Hunter ADL (standard fill), Hart 1-9 twist / 23" barrel / Remington Sporter contour, and the factory trigger tuned.
Originally Posted by Jowiri
harv3589,

Winchester uses 9.5.

On the website, you can click on each of the calibers listed under the different gun models & you will find more details such as twist.

M70 FWT 7-08

-Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan!!!!
Sounds like you've got it down. I'm by no means an expert in the custom rifle area but I love the way my Beanland built 7-08 turned out. I went 1:9 and have only shot 120's and 140's through it. It eats 120 TTSX's like no other...impressive accuracy.

See my post in the Blue Prints thread here: My 7mm-08
Posted By: bludog Re: 7mm-08 Twist Rate and Stock - 01/16/12
I pondered the same question when spec'ing out a new Bartlein for my 284 win. Bartlein can provide any twist you want - I went with a 1:9.125". Wife shoots a Rem-700 7-08ai with a factory Alaskan Ti barrel and a 1:9.25" twist. It likes 120 gr TTSX better than any other bullet, but it also shoots 120 gr Speers very well. So that 1:9" ought to be great.
Posted By: Flinch Re: 7mm-08 Twist Rate and Stock - 01/16/12
#2 contour, 1" barrel shank 22-24" in length 9 twist. I don't think Hart will build a barrel under a #3 contour, so you may have to go with a different brand, which isn't a bad thing either. Lots of great barrel builders out there.

I built one on a #1 contour and although it packed well, it was only good for a couple of rounds, then started spraying bullets. I went with a #3 and it was just a bit too heavy. I find a #2 to be about perfect.

Doing a 1:10 twist gains you nothing at all. A 1:9 twist is the way to go. I shoot mostly 120's in my 7mm-08's, which are all 9 twists. I have also shot 162's with no issues at all. I have killed everything from mice to elk with 120 grain bullets. Great round and you will love it. Keep it light and simple. Don't over think it. Flinch
Posted By: Grand Re: 7mm-08 Twist Rate and Stock - 01/17/12
1:9, Classic.
9 twist...but I don't see any reason for a 23" barrel. Nothing to gain past 22" in a 708.
Posted By: Calvin Re: 7mm-08 Twist Rate and Stock - 01/18/12
Also, I am not sure about stock choice. Is the McMillan Hunters Edge that much better than the Bell & Carlson Ti. The McMillan Hunters Edge costs twice as much as the Ti if not more. (I am trying to put together a nice carry rifle in the 7.25 lb. range) Any help would be appreciated. However, I have my heart set on the 7mm-08 Rem chambering.

A Hart Barreled/Edge Stocked 7-08 would be a rifle you'd be happy with for a really long time. If you are going to go Hart, dig deep and get an Edge.

Question regarding barrel shank. I understand the barrel shank length will have a big impact on the rifle's balance. But will barrel shank length effect the rifle's accuracy / consistence at all? More specifically, will it have much bearing on a 7mm-08 Rem. with a #2 barrel contour.
Posted By: Flinch Re: 7mm-08 Twist Rate and Stock - 01/18/12
Barrel shank length has little to do with a rifles accuracy, if any. Look at Remington barrel shanks, or lack of. They are tapered right from the front of the action, yet shoot extremely accurate. Even the mountain rifle contours (1 to 1 1/2 contour) shoot well under MOA. A properly chambered barrel and bedded action is the key. A #2 contour would be the meow. Flinch
But will barrel shank length effect the rifle's accuracy / consistence at all?

No. You won't need any more than a 3/4"-1" shank to your 'smith when he cuts the barrel.

tikka T3 is 9.5
my 7mm-08 uses a hart #2 with a 1 inch shank at 23 inches and i find it to be perfect shoots 1/2 moa all day long and cleans up with two patches one of the best barrels I have

gene
Posted By: 5spd Re: 7mm-08 Twist Rate and Stock - 07/14/12
My Savage 7mm-08 is the 9.5" twist, 22" sporter bbl. Shoots my handloads of 120g noslers & 140g sierra gkjsp under an inch at 100yds. I would not do the slower twist as all stated above.
So you guys are saying my weatherby vanguard s2 sporter with a 1 in 9.5 twist shoots crappy with 139 grain bullets because it's a weatherby and not because of the twist rate bullet weight combination? I'm about ready to take in to the junk man for scrap metal.
Lots of Vanguards shoot great, so it isn't because it's a Weatherby. It's not the twist rate either.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 7mm-08 Twist Rate and Stock - 09/22/17
Originally Posted by mathman
Lots of Vanguards shoot great, so it isn't because it's a Weatherby.

So odd to see "shoot great" and "Weatherby" used in the same sentence.

Kudos for the word smithing!
Posted By: JPro Re: 7mm-08 Twist Rate and Stock - 09/22/17
Originally Posted by Shawn2571
So you guys are saying my weatherby vanguard s2 sporter with a 1 in 9.5 twist shoots crappy with 139 grain bullets because it's a weatherby and not because of the twist rate bullet weight combination? I'm about ready to take in to the junk man for scrap metal.

Five year old threads do contain some good stuff sometimes....

If you are a handloader, try seating some bullets to barely engage the lands before concluding the barrel to be total junk. I have a 7mm-08 that is rather finicky, and did not like any of my initial loads I was trying. So I grabbed some 145gr Speer BTSP that were on the shelf and found they would make the lands while still being short enough for loaded rounds to fit in the mag box. Groups shrank to 3/4MOA. I'm thinking the 20" floated barrel on that rifle might actually need a little forend pressure to work with the other loads, so I'm going to try that as well.

Buy a Barrett Fieldcraft in 7-08 and connect all dots and cut to the fhuqking chase. You reap a 8" twist spout that will do it all and throat geometry that jives with it's 3" COAL magbox. Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyyy more than headstamps and were it me,I'd be in 162 ELD Mode expressly.

I've got 7-08's in 9",9.25",9.5" and 10". My 22" Lilja 10" will stabilize same(162 'Max and ELD M's) at low tide in any/all weathers/seasons here in Kansas,but reserve RPM is your friend,if only because the ONLY way boolits get better,is to get longer. Hint.

Lilja 1-10" 22" 7-08 SALAMI and the only thing it launches is 162's. Re-hint.

[Linked Image]

The Fieldcraft wearing a 6X MQ Fixed Fhuqker,will simply do it all and then some. 2700fps is a breeze with the 162 ELD and with a modest 200yd zero,the windshield gets it to the 1100yd line. Factor a 20MOA rail,40 MOA 'Horn's and you are boolitproof and will bring 35 MILS of erector to the table,which is the 2000yd line.

It will cost less and be more mechanically sound(COAL/throat/twist).

I hold Hart in the highest esteem and have a good herd of them...but the Fieldcraft is simply a VASTLY superior Mouse Trap. Hint.

Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't,though the 168 SMK muse was fhuqking hilarious!

You've been led to water.

Thank me later........................

Now them late to the part can say they "know" too.

Laughing!

"The only way Bullets get better is get longer" holyshit you are a [bleep] moron. Sugar tits Please explain the 180 ELD m having a higher BC than the 175 eldx. What is never a miss is your inability to believe your own lies.

You poor retarded cull more about tail angle in alignment with ogive and so on but you are the best.
Laughing because you try so hard spend so much and still ain't got a clue.
Oh and you couldn't hit a 4'x8' piece of plywood at the range you run your fat mouth about.

Side note, I talked to a rep😉( my contact) About trying a scope and they sent me a free care package. I would ask them if they know you but no one does or cares to.

Here's to you trying and coming up short (and fat)..
[Linked Image]

Pussy don't grow on trees do it.
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Buy a Barrett Fieldcraft in 7-08 and connect all dots and cut to the fhuqking chase. You reap a 8" twist spout that will do it all and throat geometry that jives with it's 3" COAL magbox. Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyyy more than headstamps and were it me,I'd be in 162 ELD Mode expressly.

I've got 7-08's in 9",9.25",9.5" and 10". My 22" Lilja 10" will stabilize same(162 'Max and ELD M's) at low tide in any/all weathers/seasons here in Kansas,but reserve RPM is your friend,if only because the ONLY way boolits get better,is to get longer. Hint.

[Linked Image]

The Fieldcraft wearing a 6X MQ Fixed Fhuqker,will simply do it all and then some. 2700fps is a breeze with the 162 ELD and with a modest 200yd zero,the windshield gets it to the 1100yd line. Factor a 20MOA rail,40 MOA 'Horn's and you are boolitproof and will bring 35 MILS of erector to the table,which is the 2000yd line.

I hold Hart in the highest esteem and have a good herd of them...but the Fieldcraft is simply a VASTLY superior Mouse Trap. Hint.

Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't,though the 168 SMK muse was fhuqking hilarious!

Laughing!

Whine some [bleep] about mils, MOA and spelling and punctuation sugar tits deflecting the facts are facts. You lie so much you can't keep it straight anymore.
A 9 twist obermeyer and a manners eh3 is where it's at.
If a guy was really gunning the 2000 mark the 180eld would walk the 162 to sleep but no one cares cuz that [bleep] is stupid.

Posted By: Judman Re: 7mm-08 Twist Rate and Stock - 09/22/17
Fredrica, can you please be nice!! The bald faced lying lazy bushelor is a hybrid between, marky mark in the shooter, quigley down under, and our very own safariman.......
Originally Posted by Big Stick

[Linked Image]

Laughing!

I guess I'm [bleep], your frothing out the mouth like the lying wide spaced eyed drooling dummy you are about fieldcrafted and SS, and you hang a pic of that??? WOW +P......

Addendum, haha, how many fieldcraft rifles you got princess??

Originally Posted by Judman
Fredrica, can you please be nice!! The bald faced lying lazy bushelor is a hybrid between, marky mark in the shooter, quigley down under, and our very own safariman.......

Naw, Even safariman was keeping a woman so that is bullshit. Sugar tits is more like your Rosie O'Donnell and barney Fife. LMMFAO
People talk out of their ass. Hart will build you anything you want. I call BS.
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264

So will RBros. Lol.
Go with a 9 twist and forget it!
Yes it's really that simple, stock of your choice, 140's and go kill some stuff...
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264

Hart will build you a Fieldcraft? Doubt it.
Originally Posted by Flinch
#2 contour, 1" barrel shank 22-24" in length 9 twist. I don't think Hart will build a barrel under a #3 contour, so you may have to go with a different brand, which isn't a bad thing either. Lots of great barrel builders out there.

I built one on a #1 contour and although it packed well, it was only good for a couple of rounds, then started spraying bullets. I went with a #3 and it was just a bit too heavy. I find a #2 to be about perfect.

Doing a 1:10 twist gains you nothing at all. A 1:9 twist is the way to go. I shoot mostly 120's in my 7mm-08's, which are all 9 twists. I have also shot 162's with no issues at all. I have killed everything from mice to elk with 120 grain bullets. Great round and you will love it. Keep it light and simple. Don't over think it. Flinch

Pretty sure sako was responding to this statement about hart not building a barrel under a #3 contour (which of course, they will.) That was posted in 2012, and flinch last posted in 2013. Entertaining thread regardless.
Speaking of Hart, I traded for this Bobby Hart built M-700. It came with a McM Hunter stock that I sold on the classifieds, bought a Hunters Edge thru Rick here on the Fire. I got the stock unpainted, glassed bedded it, sent it back to McM for paint. The gun came with a Timney 510, the contour is Rem factory at 23". With the 26 oz Edge, it has a slightly forward heft, which I like.

Best I can measure, it's a 10 twist. It shoots 140 NBT, 140 VLD and 120 NBT, half inch at a hundred, the 140's with BG at 2,800+, the 120 with Varget at 3,000+fps. 10 twist is OK, as I don't expect to shoot heavier than 140's in this gun.

I shot a number of rounds. One swab with Patch Out with enough back and forth to measure twist, followed by a dry patch; the bore is perfect thru the Hawkeye. Of course, I DBC all my barrels, even premium tubes.

The 3-9x40 Conquest has been fitted with a turret. I'll eventually get Ballistic Tape for the load I settle on.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
If I go with 1-9 twist, can I shoot the light bullet weights?

All my 708's are 9 twist. They all shoot 120's, 140' and 160's very well.
Just got more info on my Bobby Hart 7-08 from the original owner who had the work done. He sold it to the guy I traded with.

It is a 9 twist. My measuring wasn't very precise. So, that's good to know.

Thanks,

DF
© 24hourcampfire