Home
I thought I was going with an A-3, but It's been suggested there might be better choices.

7 Rem Mag, so I'll prob go 26" barrel. Thinking Rem Varmint Contour, or #5 Kreiger. So I want the forearm to blend with that contour.

I'm liking the high, straight comb--like an A-3--and want a wider forearm, semi-beaver or smaller...but wider than a "Classic". My last build has a Sako Varmint...and I really like that, but it has a short forearm (fits a 22" bbl perfect), and a 26" would look goofy sticking out of one.

I'm not familiar with the Rem Hunter, or stocks that size. Can you guys give me suggestions for a stock heavier, beefier, and a little bigger than a Classic, but a touch smaller than an A-3?

Pics of barrel in relation to forearm on the stock would be very much appreciated. Also, what fill should I request?

Barrel contours #5, #5.5, #5.75 and Rem Varmint are all nice fits in the HTG/M40A1 stock.
My first 7RM was a factory Mag-Sporter in an HTG. Right now am building on my second HTG. A 7RM with 25" #5.5 Broughton.

The A3 is an excellent range toy when shooting from the bench and prone. However the HTG is nicer offhand and makes a more comfortable all-rounder for slightly heavier hunting rigs. Also the HTG works best with low mounted optics keeping the rig more trim.

Standard fill will be fine on a 7RM with light varmint to varmint contours.
Laminated stocks are heaviest.
I bought one of these Bell & Carlson stocks with the aluminum chassis for a build with a Remington varmint contour barrel. It fit perfectly, of course being obsessive, I skimmed bedded it anyway. Rifle with two different swap barrels shoots under .5" with either barrel.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-553/bell-carlson-medalist-tactical/Detail

Stock was in in stock, no waiting, and cost $258.00 with shipping. Came with three detachable swivel studs and a recoil pad. Quality was quite a surprise, but Nosler and Cooper uses them on some rifles.
I am guessing from your post that you want to stick with McMillan. The Winchester Marksman might meet your needs. I don't have one (yet), but I have heard good things, and think it would suit a beanfield build.
A rem varmint stock from high tech.
[Linked Image]
Looks good with the fluted #5 hart.
[Linked Image]
Sitting with a HTG/GP with a 5.5 Schneider.
[Linked Image]
Same High Tech stock with a #3 Kreiger.Still looks pretty good, the High Tech is very light and cheep and you can get them with out waiting half a year.
#3 Kreiger.
[Linked Image]
Two of my favorites.A HTG/GP next to a HBR.The HBR is the best tweener stock I know of.Great off the bags and works in the field just fine.
[Linked Image]
HBR in GAP camo White black and gray.
Sendaro Rock at 28 inches 243 WCF.
[Linked Image]
Great off a rest.Or a pod.
[img]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/dave7mm/huntbike2010a054.jpg[/img]
But I tend to keep it a bit lighter,just kinda depends on what im doing. The GP is my all time fav.
Hart #4
[img]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/dave7mm/2008hunting044.jpg[/img]
Rock #4
[img]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/dave7mm/huntbike2009105.jpg[/img]

You have a great day.!

dave

Thanks Dave. Those are great comparisons. It looks like the HBR has a little more meat than I'm looking for.
A1-3?
My favorite stock for a heavy build is the Mcmillan Marksman pattern. I have two of them, both 22", but have had a 26" Remington varmint contour in one and it worked well and looked proportionate. Sorry, but I don't have pics.
I think Marksman is a tad heavier/bigger than I'm looking at, also.

Does anyone have a side by side comparison of an A3 beside a Remington Sporter? I have it narrowed down to those two.

Believe it or not, according to their site, it appears the Marksman is a bigger, heavier stock than the A3.
A1-3 on top, Classic below it.

[Linked Image]
I like the A1-3, how do you like yours?
i like mine too.
manners mcs-t or a t3 if you want a wider forearm

both are great stocks, blow an htg out of the water, higher comb than a1-3 too
Any input on, or pics of the Rem Sporter?
Rem Sporter looks nice but the ergos are grim. The grip is somewhat uncomfortable when shooting from the bench. The grip is way too open and way too swept back. It puts your wrist at an unnatural position. It may work for hunting but sucks for target work.
McMillan Rem Hunter!!!!!!
Rem Hunter is nice, very comfortable stock with the high comb and pistol grip. Forend it thick, but not overly so.

HTG is a good fit for the build if it only had a higher comb(!).

Rem Varmint is one I'd like to try but as was mentioned it has the short forend.

I ended up going with the A1-3. I like it a lot. HTG grip and stock but the comb has been raised the max amount...high enough that a grove is cut for bolt travel. The A3 forend is thick...so it may be thicker than you're looking for.

[Linked Image]

Groove for bolt travel:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Why do you keep a come-along next to your reloading bench? Sticky bolts? grin

Can someone post a pic of the end of the stock on an A-3 ,at the juncture where the forearm ends and the barrel comes out?
A3 is the correct answer. grin

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2722365/page/1

5.5 Broughton in an A3. Can't imagine a better setup:
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by yukonal
Why do you keep a come-along next to your reloading bench? Sticky bolts? grin

Can someone post a pic of the end of the stock on an A-3 ,at the juncture where the forearm ends and the barrel comes out?

sick Load 'em hot or don't load 'em at all! grin
B&C does a stock for Greybull Precision that I really like. It's a A3 style vertical grip stock but the forend has been slimmed down and rounded off as compared to McMillan A3's I have had but still has a flat on the underside of the forend. The flat is just not as wide as the McM A3 , It also has the Aluminum block.

[Linked Image]

Here is the A-3 in the middle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SMACK
B&C does a stock for Greybull Precision that I really like. It's a A3 style vertical grip stock but the forend has been slimmed down and rounded off as compared to McMillan A3's I have had but still has a flat on the underside of the forend. The flat is just not as wide as the McM A3 , It also has the Aluminum block.

[Linked Image]

Hows it handle recoil. laugh laugh
Thanks for the pics, guys.
Though I doubt anyone has the goods to take the picture, but I'd like to see a Greybull stock laid alongside McMillans new Game Scout. Seems to be quite the resemblance. A forend shot like that above for the GB and A3 would be nice too...
How about this:

A-3� SPORTER NEW

The A-3 Sporter design is based on customer demand. For years, shooters have purchased McMillan's "A" series tactical stocks as precision rifles. Because McMillan's "A" series are basically designed as prone stocks, the company received numerous requests for a version of the tactical stocks that retained its comfortable vertical pistol grip but was more suited to general hunting and offhand use. The A-3 Sporter is a variation of McMillan's A-3 tactical stock but with the drop-at-heel lowered from 3/8" down to 1" for better stock position on the shoulder for offhand and sitting use. The forearm has been curved in at the top to a "semi-beavertail" type for a more positive grip when hand holding the rifle. The pistol grip is the same as the A-3 and Adj. A3-5 stocks. It is an ambidextrous stock and can be inletted for most Remington 700 and Savage type actions. The forearm can be inletted for sporting barrel contours up to a Savage Varmint or #5 Douglas type contour. It is an excellent stock for general hunting and field varmint use with the famous "A" series type pistol grip. Will fit most older Savages and blind magazine actions.

http://youtu.be/YvDR9ygRAlk

Thinking about this for a drop in with my Rem SPS .257 weatherby mag.

I'm not looking for the lower drop at the heel.

It's a toss up between Greybull and A-3. I'll know after the SCI convention, when I can put my hands on a couple.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Rem Hunter is nice, very comfortable stock with the high comb and pistol grip. Forend it thick, but not overly so.

HTG is a good fit for the build if it only had a higher comb(!).

Rem Varmint is one I'd like to try but as was mentioned it has the short forend.

I ended up going with the A1-3. I like it a lot. HTG grip and stock but the comb has been raised the max amount...high enough that a grove is cut for bolt travel. The A3 forend is thick...so it may be thicker than you're looking for.

[Linked Image]

Groove for bolt travel:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If they would have put the forend off, say the Remington Hunter on the A1-A3, they would have got it absolutely perfect...

John
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like A champ! Super comfortable and easy to drive.

Video: Recoil .450 Ultra Magnum with a 500gr Hornady on top of 102grs of Win748.

The 4 port Muscle Brake takes a BUNCH of recoil out of it, my first brake being a Harrell beat the hell out of me on the bench. When I had to peel my bloody Tshirt off my shoulder after the first 20 rounds at the bench. I had a 4 port installed by Benchmark with an extra port machined in the top and a custom tension screw.

[Linked Image]
I'm not looking for the lower drop at the heel.

It's a toss up between Greybull and A-3. I'll know after the SCI convention, when I can put my hands on a couple.

I have owned three A3's and I like the Greybull better than the McMillan, I also like the " Fair Price " of the Greybull in today's market.

Likes A champ! Super comfortable and easy to drive.

Video: Recoil .450 Ultra Magnum with a 500gr Hornady on top of 102grs of Win748.

I think you found the way to make the hardest kicking rifle off the Remington 700. Loved your Elk story. grin grin
I have an adjustable HTG (plenty heavy)on a 700 w/ sendero contour lilja, but wish it was the A3. To each their own.

Don't rule out the A3 Sporter...this is one with a #5 krieger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like A champ! Super comfortable and easy to drive.

The 4 port Muscle Brake takes a BUNCH of recoil out of it, my first brake being a Harrell beat the hell out of me on the bench. When I had to peel my bloody Tshirt off my shoulder after the first 20 rounds at the bench. I had a 4 port installed by Benchmark with an extra port machined in the top and a custom tension screw.

[Linked Image]

Gotta be tough to keep that scope off your forhead!

[Linked Image]

What contour is that barrel?
Sakoluvr, its a 26", fluted, 14 twist, Lilja #7 contour. It was the smallest contour Dan would do fluted with a .458 bore.
© 24hourcampfire