Home
I just purchased a Vanguard and I am in the process of putting it together have a Timney on the way and have a question in regards to McMillan patterns.

Its a .223 and will shoot it to see how accurate the factory barrel is with the Timney installed. whats the best McMillan pattern withe the fatory barrel.

If it does not shoot I an going to rebarrel it with a Shilen and what is the best Mcmillan pattern for a Shilen between a #1 - 3 I want this to be handy walking gun.
Sako Classic.
+1 on the Sako Classic, particularly with the factory barrel or one of similar contour.
+2 on the Sako Classic!
+3 on the Sako Classic.
Sako classic. Is the vanguard in 223 a 1:12" twist as well?
Sako Classic

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Recycled Pic

Sako Classic:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Karnis
Sako Classic.

+7

Is the Vanguard a Series 2?
not sure it's been mentioned yet but the sako classic is what i'd use....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/walukie1/redone.jpg[/img]

you get the point...
+whatever on the Sako Classic

[Linked Image]
Might even consider the sako classic?

[Linked Image]
I dig that one, Kaleb. Fiddy/fiddy black and white?

Originally Posted by tabs4u
... what is the best Mcmillan pattern ...

Do you like the feel of the Weatherby monte carlo when you're shooting in the field?

If you don't like, go with the Sako Classic.

If you do like, go with the Sako Hunter.
If I were doing one, I would go with the Sako hunter. I beleive the hunter series have the Monte Carlo cheek piece and a little bit of palm swell, which I like.

That being said, I own exactly 0 McMillans at this time. I would like to do an Orange and White one for a custom one of these days, but am leading more toward the edge series now.
We can inlet most all of the Sako stock designs for the Howa/Vanguard series of rifles. These include the Sako Hunter, Sako Varmint and Sako Thumbhole stock designs. Oh yes, I think we can also do the Sako Classic but this is a little known bit of mcmillan-trivia.
I gots two in the...wait for it.... Sako Classic!

Boo-yah!
[Linked Image]
Double boo-yah!!
[Linked Image]

Travis

BUT, I do have a .223 Howa and a Sako Hunter EDGE that will arrive on Wednesgay. I'll let you know.

Travis
I've three Sako Classics in vanguard/howa. In case you haven't heard, it is the way to go.
Don't listen to these clowns, go Sako Classic...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by KDK
I dig that one, Kaleb. Fiddy/fiddy black and white?

Yes'r.
Since we are showing off.

[Linked Image]
Nice
Yep, that's a good'un too.
Can you do the Sako Hunter in edge fill?
Fuggin'-A...

Travis
Might try one.

I like the look and feel of the compact/ hunters edge, but it don't fit so great.

Thinking I might try a Monte style on a Vanguard. They kinda ugly but who gives a [bleep] if it fits and handles right.
Mine will be here tomorrow. Drive out here and test drive it. Just secured more gopher grounds.

Travis
Actually gonna call a guy about a dog that is in N central MT. If it works out I'll give ya

Is the vanguard 223 twisted fast?

I'm thinking the wife really needs a 257WBY in a Sako Hunter Edge for her b-day. Either that or a vacuum cleaner.
Did she get the Valentine's mop? If that's the case then a vacuum might make a matched set. Just sayin... grin
What's "valentines"?
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Actually gonna call a guy about a dog that is in N central MT. If it works out I'll give ya

Is the vanguard 223 twisted fast?

I'm thinking the wife really needs a 257WBY in a Sako Hunter Edge for her b-day. Either that or a vacuum cleaner.

No, it will be factory.

If you come get a dog, gimme a shout. I'll show you where the classy girls hang out after we shoot gophers.

Travis
I guess its Sako Classic for them thanks for all the replies. Can anyone advise what that weight would be with the Sako Classic and factory barrel in .223
This is a 22-250. 24" factory tube, Talley LW's, Leupold 2-7X.

7 3/4ish...

[Linked Image]

Travis
Yep
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yep

You taught me well Mr. Miagi.

Travis
Sako Hunter
i vote classic... not sure if anyone else has tried it? grins
I'm reeeely glad I've got a Sako classic on order..:D
To the OP, I just got this. Same glass and rings as the one pictured above, but this is the Howa Ranchland Compact. Stock is a Sako Hunter EDGE. Weighs 7 1/4lbs.

Just an FYI.
[Linked Image]

Travis
© 24hourcampfire