Home
Posted By: darrenk75b My new 6mmBR - 04/27/12
Thought you might want to see a quick pic of my new 6mmBR. The 6mmBR is one of my favorite rounds. I have a heavy one, so I thought it was time to build one a little easier to carry.

[Linked Image]

Remington 700 SA, trued
PTG knob
Brux 1:8 twist #3 at 23"
Manners MCS-SL in Molded-in GAP camo
Shilen Trigger
Leupold VX3 2.5-8

So far, I'm feeding it out of an unmodified mag box. Feeding has been perfect with only a couple down. I will run it some more, and do a Bryant mag box conversion if I feel it is warranted. But for now, it is staying like this
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: My new 6mmBR - 04/27/12
Very nice, who did the smithing? I really like the colors, did you use cerakote on the metal?

I'd hate to be a coyote!
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: My new 6mmBR - 04/27/12
A friend did the smithing. I coated the action with Norrell Moly Resin

Screw yotes! This thing is going after some antelope this fall
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: My new 6mmBR - 04/27/12
It really is an all arounder and with all the accuracy you could ask for...we need some target pics!
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: My new 6mmBR - 04/27/12
I'll get some when I can get out again. I took it out a few weeks back, but had not tightened the ring screws down and forgot my screwdriver set at home. The groups I did fire were all vertical, but in nearly a perfectly straight line.

Now, with the rings tightened, I expect the vertical to disappear and am anticipating the 105 Bergers to be clustered together ni a neat little hole.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: My new 6mmBR - 04/28/12
Darren,
Bout time you posted up the new rifle - I like it!! Should work just fine on a nice antelope buck - we'll be sure to find a good one:) Did you get a chance to weigh it yet??

I'm liking the Manners, may need one of those someday.
Posted By: TDN Re: My new 6mmBR - 04/28/12
Great looking build brother!
Curious about the weight too as one of my buds is considering a manners on a build.

Nice!
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: My new 6mmBR - 04/28/12
I'm right around 8lbs all up without the bipod based on my bathrom scale.

The Manners stocks are around 27 ounces, which makes them a few ounces heavier than a McMillan EDGE, but lighter than a McMillan Gel-coat stock
Posted By: slg888 Re: My new 6mmBR - 04/28/12
Very nice rifle, I like the Manners SL stock. I had one and sorry I sold it.
Posted By: 7_08FAN Re: My new 6mmBR - 04/28/12
Nice rig. You will enjoy it.
Posted By: 65BR Re: My new 6mmBR - 04/28/12
Don't be afraid for venison - killed one at 400 yds w/mine...105 amax 2850, double lunged, golf ball exit...

23" 8 twist #3 is a PERFECT BR sporter config - Kudos - enjoy!

Thanks for sharing, any info on accuracy yet?

Might warrant a CDS or M1....Good Hunting Darren!
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: My new 6mmBR - 04/28/12
Oh, an M1 elevation knob is planned. Just want to shoot it 1 more time before it gets shipped off
Posted By: 65BR Re: My new 6mmBR - 04/28/12
Good plan - think you can utilize it in that set up.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: My new 6mmBR - 04/28/12
Very Nice Rig. cool cool
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: My new 6mmBR - 04/28/12
Fantastic looking rifle!

Mike
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/06/12
Got to the range this morning. It was sunny, but we were having 15mph gusts.

Best group of the day: 1st 3 into 0.217"
The next two shots opened the group up to 0.53" and 0.78", respectively. Not bad considering the conditions and the 8x scope. I was going to stop at 3 shots, but my shooting buddy kept egging me on. Friggin' 5 shot groups!

FWIW, I was shooting 105 Berger VLDs over 30.5 Varget in virgin Lapua cases with Wolf small rifle magnum primers.
Posted By: coleridge Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/07/12
Very nice... I just finished a very similar build. I too went with a Brux #3 (but in 8.5" twist) and was surprised how much bigger it was than my #3 Broughton, but have grown to like it very well.

I have another Remington 700 6BR repeater that I done the "Mike Bryant" conversion & after finding the "perfect" spring placement (epoxy'd into place) it feeds 100%, slow, fast, whatever. For the new build I bought a Wyatt's "BR Box" & have been less than pleased with it.

You will be pleased with the 105VLD hunting on antelope. I have killed several whitetails with that combo (but with 30.8gr varget) & it works very well.

Posted By: Tanner Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/07/12
Darren, have you ever played with the Dasher or any other BR variants?
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/07/12
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
Thought you might want to see a quick pic of my new 6mmBR. The 6mmBR is one of my favorite rounds.

Sweet gun! I have actually been intrigued lately with the 6BR. Tempted to try one once my 243 is shot out.

Posted By: darrenk75b Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/07/12
Coleridge - I recall your posts on 6mmBR about the BR box. unfortunate that it isn't working out as hoped. I really wish someone would make a more reliable box for the little BR cartridges.

I have another 6BR using AICS mags that feeds great with 105s. However, for this build I wanted a more streamlined stock, hence the BDL box. My other BR went to Wyoming last year and claimed an antelope. I know that the BR/105 VLD is a potent enough round indeed.

Tanner - honestly I don't want to deal with the additional prep for the modified BRs. The range I shoot gets to about 550 yards. For that distance, the BR is perfect.
Posted By: tipmover Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/07/12
Hard to top a 6mmBR. One of my favorites too!
Posted By: coleridge Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/07/12
I know what you mean about the streamline stock. I REALLY wish someone would make a detachable magazine that would be flush with the stock (using some non-paddle DBM like seekins). Being a 2-3 round mag wouldn't bother me a bit. I seldom shoot more than once in the woods but like having an extra round if needed. Single shots are no problem but having somewhere to keep an extra round near the gun becomes a pain.

I assume you are using the 223 AI mags with oppened feed lips? I am interested in building one that would accept the AI mags. I have seen several guys on sniperhides that are running them with success. Also a few guys using modified 308 mags.

Tanner, I am running a 6BRX along with several other 6BR's. I actually rebarreled to one after burning through a straight BR barrel in 10 twist. Not much more trouble other than the initial fireform. However, I'm only getting ~85+/- fps faster velocity with 2.2gr more powder. That does gets me just above 3000fps with a 105 bullet in 26" barrel! Although my latest build, I went back to straight 6BR (being a shorter barrel helped with that decision also).
Posted By: Tanner Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/07/12
Cool! A Dasher is something I would love to mess around with.
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/07/12
I have seen a number of HS precision magazines modified for the 6br. Those that have modified them have stated that they got perfect feeding with them.

I run a modified .308 AICS mag. It has an aluminum spacer in the front.
Posted By: Popapi Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/07/12
WHOA......THAT'S NICE!! I never had a Manners stock looks like I'll have to try one, any idea on how much the stock weighs Guy?
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/08/12
Around 27 ounces
Posted By: Popapi Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/08/12
Good deal enjoy your rifle Sir!
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/08/12
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
I have seen a number of HS precision magazines modified for the 6br. Those that have modified them have stated that they got perfect feeding with them.

I run a modified .308 AICS mag. It has an aluminum spacer in the front.

Darren have you looked into the new Wyatts 6BR magazine?

http://wyattsoutdoor.com/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/41
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/08/12
I have looked at them. Read coleridges post above. He has one, and the results are less than stellar. IIRC, his will only hold one down before it starts popping rounds out. Too much spring force
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/08/12
Hmm!
Posted By: coleridge Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/08/12
Yep, I have [bleep] with that box way too much & still not like it should be... Using a factory 223 Remington spring it will only hold one down, but it will feed that one like glass. I've tried shimming the box tight, loose, fixed, turned, bent, less bent, too bent; just about everything other than painting it (which I am assuming will effect feed as much as anything else I have tried grin). I've been planning to cut down a AR-15 mag spring & try it but have been busy messing with other rifles since shooting season has arrived. I have been living with one round down.

My consensus is that the "Bryant" conversion is much better, cheaper & easier (once you get the spring placement correct).
Posted By: BradB Re: My new 6mmBR - 05/08/12
I had a Model 7 done in 6 br, we decided to use a PTG bolt and we had them do a coned bolt. It has been feeding rounds perfect in the little use i have had with it in quick feeding situations. I am having a second barrel done in 284 at this time for it. The gun is a lightened 7, #1 Brux, a 16 z stock. We did nothing to the box and so far works good
Posted By: coleridge Re: My new 6mmBR - 07/20/12
Not sure if you seen my post on 6BR but...

Finally got time to mess with the Wyatts box again. I cut a spring from an AR-15 magazine I had laying around. Bent the spring & ears on follower so they would mate & "hooked" together quite well without any type of bonding. Then it was trial & error getting the correct spring length to get enough pressure but not too much (the 223 Rem spring would "pop" out the top round).

After some bending, twisting, & cussing I finally got the spring were it needed to be at correct length. My rifle I'm putting it in is a blind box mag so I closed in the bottom of the box as well to make things simple(pretty much made a magazine that sits under the action in the stock).

Bolted things up & it works like glass. The center feed really does work very well but for $50+ Wyatts should have things closer to "bolt up" than what this piece is. It is a good platform to get things started though. I bolted several rounds anyway I could trying to get it to "goof" & it always worked flawlessly.

Also, one thing I don't think I mentioned before... The lips of the magazine obviously sit just under the bolt. If you place a round over the lips (bolt open) it "floats" the round & acts as a follower. Unless a turtle is closing the bolt, the round slides right in the chamber . Works dang near as good as a single shot follower, really easy for loading just one round from the bench etc. I find this to be a real plus for the Wyatts as you can't do this with the Bryant conversion.

I still can only get two rounds down (they don't pop out, it's all the room that's in the box) but I feel that's plenty for hunting purposes. It really works well now. The center feed rails are perfect for the little BR case. Just be careful if you�re looking into this box. It is in NO WAY a drop in, but can be used to make a BR case feed extremely reliable.

Not sure if I would go the Wyatts box route again (mostly because of the added aggrevation) but it's sure working slick in the rifle now.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: My new 6mmBR - 07/20/12
Thanks coleridge! I've been thinking of a 6 BR myself, but there's no place in my arsenal for a single shot bolt action. Really trying to decide whether I should do a 6 BR with the Wyatt's box, or just say "screw it" and go the easy route: 243 Ackley.
Posted By: coleridge Re: My new 6mmBR - 07/20/12
I would HIGHLY recomend the 6BR cartridge. It's my favorite for many reasons.

It really feeds better than what it has reputation for. Lot of guys feed them just fine out of an unmodified 700 bottom metal. Then it jsut doesn't work for some others...

My first repeater BR (standard BDL BM) wouldn't feed (reliable) until I did the Bryant conversion. After that, it would hold 3 in the belly & feed fine but it didn't like the 4th one (it tightened things too much). I lived with that through a barrel. WHen I rebarreled I went with a 6BRX. The mag was the same that it didn't like the 4th round in the belly (thought the slightly longer case would have helped). Carried it like that for a while then one day I got to messing with the spring, putting it in diff places on the floorplate. I finnally found the majic spot & things jsut "worked". I apoxy'd the spring in that spot & now it feeds all 4 like butter & havn't had a misfeed in over 2K rounds. If you put the rounds in correctly it is 100% dependable.

Do not be afraid of the 6BR for feeding reasons. It can be made to work. Some are easier than others. Anybody that can assymble a kids toy can make it work.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: My new 6mmBR - 07/20/12
Thanks for the info. I've made 223 AI's feed like glass in 700's, which is sometimes easy and other times a bit more work, but I didn't consider any of them "difficult".

It's always hard reading someone's description of mechanical problems on the internet and knowing how tough it actually is; some folks are just not mechanically inclined and would call in a contractor to install a door knob.

I appreciate your description! I think I will do a 6 BR. I'll make it work.
© 24hourcampfire