Home
Posted By: erickg Model 70's in McMillan's - 04/29/12
Anybody have any photos? Lookin for one and need some help deciding.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 04/29/12
Model 70 300 WSM, factory magnum contour barrel in a standard fill McMillan Compact pattern stock. Best pattern for the Model 70, in my opinion: trim, short forend; swept back grip; thick comb with no cheekpiece directing recoil straight back and allowing the scope to be mounted low.

[Linked Image]

My 358 in a supergrade stock.
[Linked Image]
.270 WSM Featherweight, old pic, rifle currently has Williams extractor and wears a Leupold scope.

Mike

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by erickg
Anybody have any photos? Lookin for one and need some help deciding.

That's easy enough...:

[Linked Image]

I also have to agree with Oregon45......Great approach to the model 70 when it comes to re-stocking....
Posted By: tkinak Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 04/29/12
Pre Monte Carlo

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
[Linked Image]

Norma, I assume? Nice rifle. What's the specs?
Posted By: handwerk Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 04/29/12
My pre 64 280 AI fwt in a compact edge
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 04/29/12
[Linked Image]

An old M70

Compact Edge/Rock #2
Originally Posted by handwerk
[Linked Image]

Dibs when you get bored with that one. grin
try here: Photo essay of McMillan stocks for Model 70
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2639753/page/1
[Linked Image]

Here's my 358 in a supergrade stock. Notice they put the bolt on the correct side of mine. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: laker Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 04/29/12
Handwerk how much does that rig weigh?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 04/29/12
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
[Linked Image]

Here's my 358 in a supergrade stock. Notice they put the bolt on the correct side of mine. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's my .358 (WSM) in a Supergrade stock:

[Linked Image]

Here's another, M70 hunting stock:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: handwerk Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 04/30/12
Laker, it's just shy of 8 lbs. as it's shown...and sorry bearstalker I don't see getting bored with it anytime soon!
Another supergrade stock, but edge tech:

[Linked Image]

Another supergrade:

[Linked Image]

Hunter's EDGE compact:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bearstalker

Another supergrade:

[Linked Image]

You ever get tired of that one, please let me know......nice!!
Originally Posted by bearstalker
[Linked Image]

Norma, I assume? Nice rifle. What's the specs?

Thanks Bearstalker.
358 Norma, Douglas #4 23" 1-12 twist. Ceracoated mate black by Eddie F. Supergrade stock, standard fill, 13 3/8LOP. Williams extractor and 1 piece bottom metal, Talley's, Leupold 2.5X8 9lbs all up.
Not a lightweight by any means but it's comfortable to shoot, and throws 250 Gr. noslers in tight little groups.
Posted By: bufaf Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 04/30/12
[Linked Image]
My .338. It resides at my friends place in Wisconsin, where I have been planning to go for a deer hunt for the last 8 years. Still haven't made it. But, I have a rifle waiting there for me. Rifle has never been fired crazy
Posted By: KDK Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 04/30/12
.300 WinMag in a Supergrade:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BSA: keep posting the pics of that stock you got from Dan. You may just force me into buying one for my .300 WSM EW...
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 04/30/12
670 in a hunters edge

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bryant Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 04/30/12
[Linked Image]

Whats the specs on that swaro and the mounts?

Nice guns everybody!
Posted By: handwerk Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 04/30/12
Bryant, it's a Z3 3-10x42, standard duplex in talley low lwt. 1pcs mounts, and yep it's still holding zero.
Also thanks folks for all those beautiful model 70's pictured!
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 04/30/12
Mine wasn't so beautiful but it did grow on me a bit before I sold it.
The member who ordered the stock called it "Old Ugly".

I was a nice stock though and it housed a very nice SS LH M70.

[Linked Image]
nasty
New Winchester Hunter model swirly for my 358 WSSM.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Huntr Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/01/12
LH Win in 7X57
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Huntr Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/01/12
LH SS Win in 30-06
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Model 70 300 WSM, factory magnum contour barrel in a standard fill McMillan Compact pattern stock. Best pattern for the Model 70, in my opinion: trim, short forend; swept back grip; thick comb with no cheekpiece directing recoil straight back and allowing the scope to be mounted low.

[Linked Image]

What's the barrel length on that fine rifle?
Posted By: Tanner Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/03/12
[Linked Image]
That has to be one of the most nicely put together rifles I've ever seen. Ever.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/03/12
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Originally Posted by Oregon45

[Linked Image]

What's the barrel length on that fine rifle?

24" factory barrel.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/03/12
My pre-64 in 9.3x62 in a McMillan/Echols Edge stock

6lb14oz

[Linked Image]
Posted By: olblue Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/03/12
Here's a couple, I just finished repainting the S/S .375, it usually has a 1.5X5 Leupold on it. The bottom one is a Pre 64 .270 it moves back and forth between stocks. the French is actually 1/4# lighter. --- Mel
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Model 70 Classic Sporter in a McM Compact Classic Edge.

[Linked Image]
MM
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/06/12
Old blue did the flutes lighten up that 375H&H for you pretty good?
Posted By: olblue Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/12/12
I'm not sure what the weight was before restocking and cutting the flutes, but it weighs 7.75# as pictured and the flutes helped the balance and handling a lot. --- Mel
.300 Win Mag 'smithed by John Ricks several years back for a trip to Africa I booked for Dad and myself for his retirement. Action opened to Express length and box mod'd to get rid of the ridiculous 3.34" constraint. Pac-Nor 3 groove, 10 twist, #3 contour at 25", throated for the 180 Partition. McM Supergrade, Leupy 3.5-10x40 in Talleys. I'm one of the world's foremost 7mm Rem Mag sluts, but this rifle has become a favorite despite...some 57 critters with 59 shots.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Journeyman
.300 Win Mag 'smithed by John Ricks several years back for a trip to Africa I booked for Dad and myself for his retirement. Action opened to Express length and box mod'd to get rid of the ridiculous 3.34" constraint. Pac-Nor 3 groove, 10 twist, #3 contour at 25", throated for the 180 Partition. McM Supergrade, Leupy 3.5-10x40 in Talleys. I'm one of the world's foremost 7mm Rem Mag sluts, but this rifle has become a favorite despite...some 57 critters with 59 shots.
[Linked Image]

Very nice. Damn near identical build to one of my rifles. The 300 Win. is a great round, imo.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/13/12
Thanks Mel.Big improvement!

Journeyman: Nice! I like the long box and throating to the 180's. My M70 Classics in 300 WM got the same treatment....mo' betta! smile
Posted By: erickg Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/13/12
Which stock is that?
those compact stocks look just like a remington classic, any idea if the remington classic can be inletted for the winchester??
Posted By: utah708 Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/14/12
Remington actions have a very different tang angle, and it does not work so well to modify a Remington pattern to fit a M70. I did it once (shown below), but it took more effort than it was worth.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oklahoma Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/15/12
M70...Factory 300WSM.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: docdb Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/15/12
Originally Posted by Huntr
LH SS Win in 30-06
[Linked Image]

I'll take that one when you are tired of it!!!
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/15/12

I don't have a set of postal scales...but I have some black plastic garbage bags, and a Tops friendly food market with a wonderfully equipped produce section just down the road grin

Rolling the cart from the parking lot right past the bottle return, I found my bag with it's contents resting neatly upon the digital produce scale. I just happened to have a second bag, for obvious reasons. The total weight of my Win-Tuff laminated FWT stock (minus bag weight) came in at 32.64oz.

Looks like the EDGE will allow me to instantly drop 3/4 lb. smile

Can somebody tell me what the weight difference is between the SA 2 piece bottom metal and that of the PT&G..? Please grin

Originally Posted by 358wsm

I don't have a set of postal scales...but I have some black plastic garbage bags, and a Tops friendly food market with a wonderfully equipped produce section just down the road grin

Rolling the cart from the parking lot right past the bottle return, I found my bag with it's contents resting neatly upon the digital produce scale. I just happened to have a second bag, for obvious reasons. The total weight of my Win-Tuff laminated FWT stock (minus bag weight) came in at 32.64oz.

Looks like the EDGE will allow me to instantly drop 3/4 lb. smile

Can somebody tell me what the weight difference is between the SA 2 piece bottom metal and that of the PT&G..? Please grin

Now THAT's thinking outside the box!
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/15/12
grin
Posted By: bwinters Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/15/12
M70 SS Featherweight 7 WSM (top), SS M70 Classic in 7RM - both in McM Edge.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rj308 Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/15/12
358WSM, My SA 2 piece bottom metal (SS) weighs 5.5 ounces. I believe the PT&G website quotes 2.75 ounces for their aluminum SA bottom metal set, for a weight savings of 2.75 ounces. I tried for weeks to get a PT&G set. They kept telling me they had it in stock and would ship it "tomorrow". This went on for 3 weeks. I finally said, enough of this BS and ordered a one piece set from Winchester. The Winchester floor plate is stainless and the rest is aluminum. My set-up is only a shade over an ounce heavier than the all aluminum PT&G set. A slightly heavier bird in the hand is better than two (PT&G bottom metal) in the bush.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/15/12
Originally Posted by bwinters
M70 SS Featherweight 7 WSM (top), SS M70 Classic in 7RM - both in McM Edge.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ooohhh..........those are nice!
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/16/12
Can these McM EDG's can also be had in ADL configuration, and further reduce weight..?

And...if so, what is used for a trigger guard.?

Just thinking of that option versus going the PT&G route.

Posted By: ChetAF Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/16/12
Here are a couple of mine. This one is a pre-64 70 FWT in 270 WCF in a Legend pattern stock:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one is a M70 Classic in 7mm RM also in a Legend pattern stock:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb400/Chetaf/Echols7mm002.jpg[/img]

Chet
Posted By: KDK Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/16/12
Damn, I may have to get a Legend or two... Nice rig!
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Can these McM EDG's can also be had in ADL configuration, and further reduce weight..?

And...if so, what is used for a trigger guard.?

Just thinking of that option versus going the PT&G route.

Yes, I have done that before. I have a 30-06 Classic Stainless with a McMillan Hunters EDGE with a blind mag. I used the Williams M70 ADL triggerguard. I don't think you save more than an ounce by using the blind mag over the PT&G aluminum bottom metal. The Williams ADL triggerguard is steel and is fairly heavy. You also lose one round with the blind magazine. Mine only holds four rounds.

If I were to do it again, I would go with the PT&G bottom metal or possibly the Echols alloy bottom metal if I had a lot of extra $$$.

Chet

I haven't had them in hand but the Williams looks a bit more elegant than the PT&G. I'd like to have the lighter weight aluminum PT&G Oberndorf style but it looks ungainly in photos especially at the front of the trigger guard where the release is. The Williams seems to be sleeker.

Ok Chet.............what's the story on your scope mounts? They look like Echols. I gotta know. Fine rifles.
Originally Posted by gabbott
I haven't had them in hand but the Williams looks a bit more elegant than the PT&G. I'd like to have the lighter weight aluminum PT&G Oberndorf style but it looks ungainly in photos especially at the front of the trigger guard where the release is. The Williams seems to be sleeker.

Ok Chet.............what's the story on your scope mounts? They look like Echols. I gotta know. Fine rifles.

They are Echols steel mounts.

Chet
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/16/12
Chetaf,

Thank you for that information, I found it very helpful.

Posted By: handwerk Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/18/12
Chetaf, wow great looking rifles.....nice work. The legend stock sure is a great design.
Posted By: utah708 Re: Model 70's in McMillan's - 05/18/12
This is a Legend EDGE 7mm Rem. I don't have much to add in terms of the aesthetics discussion, but this gun weighs 8# 1 oz as shown.

[Linked Image]

The barrel contour contributes to the light weight and it balances just right.

[Linked Image]

It did account for a 575 yard kill on a MT whitetailed deer last fall. If I was limited to one big game rifle for NA, it might be this one.
© 24hourcampfire