Home
Posted By: nyrifleman Goens Pre-64 .270... - 09/02/12
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Da...ustom-270-Wincester.cfm?gun_id=100276844

Had one once upon a time in 300 Win Mag ...lovely rifle.

Thought some of you here might be interested.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Goens Pre-64 .270... - 09/02/12
Thanks for the link however for a $5,995 price I would pass as I am not an aficionado of large fleur-de-lis patterns with the checkering, hard steel butt plates for actual hunting rifles and that knot in the stock.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: kutenay Re: Goens Pre-64 .270... - 09/02/12
Great rifle at a reasonable price, would love to own it and hunt it in any but the harshest weather.

I used to shoot my .300H&H P-64s with steel butts while wearing just a T-shirt and jean jacket, the load was 200 gr. Speers over 66-4350 and I would shoot both rifles containing ten rounds as fast as I could freehand at 100 yds, and be able to cover all ten holes with the palm of my hand.

So, a little .270 Win. should be no problem, the "kick" really only gets a bit "rude", when you get to the .338WM and .300 Bee level.

Yup, change the mounts to Talley QDS and install good irons and that little gem would suit me fine.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Goens Pre-64 .270... - 09/03/12
Recoil from a metal butt plate bothers me. Of course most of us can do it or endure it.

When I was 13 my late dad got a 250/99 from the local shop and let me shoot it at the range. Apparently I did not do well with the recoil. That was a long time ago and I don't recall what it's butt plate was. Best guess on the ear protection was none at all.

That try of the 250 resulted in him buying a 222/722 for my 14th birthday along with a reloading set for it and our other center fires.

In later years I used the .358W and .375's. Now I am older and don't shoot the .375's any more. Worried about damage to my eyes more than anything from the recoil.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Goens Pre-64 .270... - 09/03/12
Looks a lot like one he built for me.I took it hunting out west,and killed stuff.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Goens Pre-64 .270... - 09/03/12
"Recoil from a metal butt plate bothers me. Of course most of us can do it or endure it."

Bet you $10 you could shoot my .280 with it's metal butt plate and you'd call it fun. whistle It's almost as pretty as that .270 but probably a lot heavier. It was built to be a plains type rifle where weight would not be the problem that a hunt in the high country would preclude the use of that gun. Accuracy is superb BTW. Off the bench that rifle is a real pussycat.
Paul B.

Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Goens Pre-64 .270... - 09/03/12
Yes weight does cut recoil however those hard metal butt plates pinch and hurt me unless I have a heavy coat on or slip on a pad.

While the workmanship seems superb on the subject rifle the price is high considering that knot in the stock. I would pick it up and put it down for that reason alone.

Here is one by Milliron for 1/2 that price without a knot!
[Linked Image]

Milliron

Posted By: BobinNH Re: Goens Pre-64 .270... - 09/04/12
And now we know more about choosing a stock blank than Dale Goens did.....it just never ends, does it?
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Goens Pre-64 .270... - 09/04/12
Oh, I would put it down too....only because I could not afford it.
But one can dream.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Goens Pre-64 .270... - 09/04/12
Can't beat classic Goens style......
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Goens Pre-64 .270... - 09/04/12
Originally Posted by BobinNH
And now we know more about choosing a stock blank than Dale Goens did.....it just never ends, does it?

No, you misunderstand.

Choosing a stock blank and seeing a defect on a finished stock are two entirely different things.

Goen's work was superb on that stock. It's the final result that's for sale. My comments were relevant to what I prefer.

To each his own.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: kutenay Re: Goens Pre-64 .270... - 09/04/12
The aspect of unique figure in the Goen's stock you call a ...knot... will NOT in any way impair the function of that superb rifle. It is a fine piece of wood.chosen by a master and the rifle is simply superb.

The Milliron rifle is also gorgeous, although one might well criticise the grain structure-layout in the upper, right quadrant of the grip......BUT, it is too heavy for the chambering as a "mountain rifle" and too light as a serious "plains rifle"..........

So, I find your comments on the Goens to be, at best, specious.
"Good Lord Boyet, by beauty, though but mean,
Needs not the painted flourish of your praise:
Beauty is bought by judgement of the eye,
Not utter'd by base sale of chapmen's tongues.
"
Originally Posted by kutenay
The aspect of unique figure in the Goen's stock you call a ...knot... will NOT in any way impair the function of that superb rifle.

grin

[Linked Image]

grin
Posted By: Tanner Re: Goens Pre-64 .270... - 09/04/12
Originally Posted by Savage_99
"Good Lord Boyet, by beauty, though but mean,
Needs not the painted flourish of your praise:
Beauty is bought by judgement of the eye,
Not utter'd by base sale of chapmen's tongues.
"
You are a goofy old dude. Woah.
Posted By: kutenay Re: Goens Pre-64 .270... - 09/05/12
Savage IS ...a goofy old dude..., no question about THAT, but, he is not a "bad" guy and introducing a few lines of Shakespear into a rifle discussion is far more entertaining than the all too frequent slagging that some indulge in on forums of this type.

However, I would have prefered Keats, ...truth....beauty... and all that.........
© 24hourcampfire