Home
For a 7-08 short action build, which would be the better way to go, a standard magazine box or a Wyatt's Extended magazine box? This will be a hunting rifle primarily for deer, with a fair amount of paper punching time also. Plan on using 120-140g ammo, using factory stuff to start, and then reloading at some point in the near future.
Standard box will work fine for that application. Just get the throat cut to suit.
Posted By: aalf Re: Wyatt Extended Magazine Box? - 09/14/12
I'd do it now while you're building......more bullet seating latitude options.....
Standard box.. Using a Wyatts only opens another can of worms that's simply not necessary..

I refuse to install 'em..
Posted By: aalf Re: Wyatt Extended Magazine Box? - 09/14/12
My 700 7-08 has a standard box and I seat 120 BT's out to 2.80". I considered getting it opened up for the Wyatt's to run the bigger bullets and not seat them down on the powder.

I have a Wyatts on my 260, and run the 140 VLD's at 2.95". I had to do a little tweaking on the box to make 'em run, but it wasn't a head banger......
I had all sorts of hell with the Wyatt's box on my 260AI. I switched to a DBM with the Alpha Type II mags. Problem solved!
Posted By: 805 Re: Wyatt Extended Magazine Box? - 09/14/12
Clark
What kind of trouble did you have? I have had one on my 243ai for a little while and it's been great. I did the install myself. Only thing I don't like is the loss of a round in capacity.
I had the wyatts on my 243 ai and it didn't feed for crap, maybe it was poorly installed. switched out to HS detachable mag setup and feeding problems are gone. I would not do it again.
I only have experience with one. I built a 284 on a rem short action and had the wyatts box installed. ITD did it for me when they did the rebarrel. I used the standard 308 follower and it feeds fine. I think ITD charged me $40 for the install

Frankly if you can get your throat cut to allow you to get to the lands in a standard box using normal hunting bullets, thats the way I would go.

If my goal was to shoot the big pointy bullets, I would think about building on a long action.
Go standard over the wyatts you'll be alot happier!
Standard box it is. I'm glad I asked about this before I did anything. Simpler is usually easier/better, as I've learned the hard way a few times. Thanks everyone.
Too late to the fire, but I have a Rem 700 SA in 25-284 with the Wyatt's. Done up by Dennis Earhardt. It feeds great no problems. But for a 7-08, I don't see it being necessary.
I have a Wyatt centrefeed box in my 6.5 Rem Mag.Since the inevitable tweaking of the feed lips it has fed perfectly,and lets me load out to 2.95". Monashee
What problems do the Wyatt's have? The ones I have are all fine. I just bought another one for a 308 I'm getting ready to do. I like the option of seating bullets out further.

Bb
If you're not going to run VLDs through the magazine, I wouldn't bother. I did want to run VLDs through the magazine in my .260, so used a Wyatt box. Initially, I had problems getting it to feed, but finally reshaped the magazine spring and now it feeds great. FWIW, during that problem, a standard Remington box I tried also gave me the same feeding issues. The magazine spring tweak fixed the issue. If I needed to run VLDs through the magazine, I would use another Wyatt without hesitation.

John
Originally Posted by 805
Clark
What kind of trouble did you have? I have had one on my 243ai for a little while and it's been great. I did the install myself. Only thing I don't like is the loss of a round in capacity.

Basically this...
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I had the wyatts on my 243 ai and it didn't feed for crap, maybe it was poorly installed. switched out to HS detachable mag setup and feeding problems are gone. I would not do it again.
I had a Wyatts on a model 70 and it was a total POS.
Originally Posted by BWalker

The model 70 or the Wyatts?
Redneck,

Have considered a Wyatt box in my 6MM model 700 because, with the standard box I can get no closer than .130 to the lands and the rifle shows a decided preference for just a few 10 thous off. It's a heavy barreled varmint rifle so accuracy is more of an issue than a lighter big game rig. I can load my rounds out and shoot as a single shot but would prefer to be able to use the magazine.

Would I be better off to just have the barrel set back?

If I do go with the Wyatt, what issues will arise in your experience. If it does not work out, is there any reason you could not just slap the old box / follower back in?

Appreciate the input.

Jim
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by BWalker

The model 70 or the Wyatts?

The Wyatts.
You'll be better off with a setback and custom throat..

Feeding issues are the main problem. With the expense of the box, machining the bottom metal to fit, ending up with wobbly followers, yada yada yada - it's simply not worth it.. It's a solution to a non-problem..

I had one inquiry lately about installing a Wyatts box for a .300RUM to get the bullet long enough to kiss the lands.. Uh uh.. Not a good thing. That round is a VERY high-pressure round and with a bullet that close the pressure spike will be enormous and has the potential to cause a receiver failure.. Too much liability for me to be comfy.. That's why Weatherby rounds have such freebore - to eliminate that pressure spike.. And Wby rounds have a record of very good inherent accuracy..

Maybe I'm just too cautious - but I have seen (and can see nothing but) major problems with this little item... I'll pass, thank you..
Thanks Redneck,

Appreciate your insight on this issue.

Will take your advice.

Jim
Posted By: RTSJ Re: Wyatt Extended Magazine Box? - 09/18/12
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
Thanks Redneck,

Appreciate your insight on this issue.

Will take your advice.

Jim

+1

Roy
Originally Posted by Redneck
Feeding issues are the main problem. With the expense of the box, machining the bottom metal to fit, ending up with wobbly followers, yada yada yada - it's simply not worth it.. It's a solution to a non-problem..

Can't speak for the Winchesters, but standard factory bottom metal works fine with the Wyatt extended boxes for SA Remingtons.

John
Originally Posted by Redneck
You'll be better off with a setback and custom throat..

I had one inquiry lately about installing a Wyatts box for a .300RUM to get the bullet long enough to kiss the lands.. Uh uh.. Not a good thing. That round is a VERY high-pressure round and with a bullet that close the pressure spike will be enormous and has the potential to cause a receiver failure.. Too much liability for me to be comfy.. That's why Weatherby rounds have such freebore - to eliminate that pressure spike.. And Wby rounds have a record of very good inherent accuracy..

Maybe I'm just too cautious - but I have seen (and can see nothing but) major problems with this little item... I'll pass, thank you..

Most handloaders know that kissing the lands bumps up pressures a bit. As such I dont see a problem setting a RUM up this way. Weatherby's have freebore to increase velocity and weatherby factory ammo runs very high prerssures even with freebore.
I also respectfully disagree on Weatherby rounds being inherently accurate. They are almost never used in competition and most guys serious about accuracy that build one will do so without a weatherby freebore chamber.
Having a very good record of inherent accuracy is true, the wby cartridges are inherently accurate big game cartridges. Big difference in benchrest accuracy, although reloading cost and barrel life may play a role in not seeing them in competition more frequently
BY that yardstick all "hunting cartidges" are inherently accurate.
And do you really think that reloading cost or barrel life play a role? There are plenty of 30 cal magnums used in 1000yard benchrest for instance, but I don't know if I have ever seen a weatherby on a equipment list. Further, everyone I have ever dealt with has been pretty finicky and the accuracy has never been outstanding with any of them. Coincidence? Maybe..
© 24hourcampfire