Home
Posted By: Torque So here's the plan...... - 09/16/12
I have done a lot of side work this year and have saved up enough to finally build this rifle. Here are the components and the plans for them. Any educated advice is VERY welcome. I plan on this being my every year hunting rifle, so please let me know if you think I'm making a mistake or know a better way to go.

1. Surgeon 1086 long action
2. Surgeon Long action bottom metal
3. Kreiger #2 24" 280 AI barrel (questionable)
4. McMillan Remington Hunter stock
5. Jewell trigger (I was kinda iffy on this one)
6. Leupold PRW rings
7. Glass is totally undecided

I'm sure I can't go wrong choosing a Kreiger, but my last project used a Lothar-Walther 26" 30-06 barrel and it shoots 1/2 MOA. So, Im torn between the two atm. I will probably go Kreiger since I have never owned one and would like to give them a try.

The jewell trigger is my other concern. They have a great reputation, but I have seen other choices brought up by some members.

Once the barrel is installed at Kreiger, it will head to Eddie Fosnaugh for Cerakote and bedding in the McMillan.

Glass is up in the air for me. S&B, Leupold are the two I have had experience with.

So, any criticisms or advice? Anything I'm forgetting?
Posted By: nsaqam Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/16/12
Sounds very nice.

I'd go blind mag, an EDGE, and skip the Jewell. Great trigger but on a rough and tumble hunting rifle I prefer simpler, more robust fire control.

It'll be great just the way you specced it though.
Posted By: slg888 Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/16/12
-Skip the bottom metal go ADL
-#2 Kreiger CM barrel pretty small for a Rem Hunter Mcmillan, I'd go classic & move up to #3 or #4 SS.

Jewel triggers have mixed reviews, but they work for me and like'em alot.

Just my opinion^^^^

Anyway you go, look forward to seeing the completed pictures.
Posted By: Tanner Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/16/12
Maybe some Talleys instead of the PRWs? Just as solid, but much lighter. I'd make sure that tube went at least .6" at the muzzle, after having rifles with skinnier barrels.

Sounds AWESOME though.
Posted By: Torque Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/16/12
Originally Posted by slg888
-Skip the bottom metal go ADL
-#2 Kreiger CM barrel pretty small for a Rem Hunter Mcmillan, I'd go classic & move up to #3 or #4 SS.

Jewel triggers have mixed reviews, but they work for me and like'em alot.

Just my opinion^^^^

Anyway you go, look forward to seeing the completed pictures.

I didn't think Kreiger would go below #5 in SS. Am I reading their chart wrong?

Is the bottom metal preference a performance preference or just personal?
Posted By: Torque Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/16/12
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Sounds very nice.

I'd go blind mag, an EDGE, and skip the Jewell. Great trigger but on a rough and tumble hunting rifle I prefer simpler, more robust fire control.

It'll be great just the way you specced it though.

TBH I didn't go EDGE because I wanted some molded in color. 85 black, 15 purple (I know it's not for everyone, but I think I'm going to like it)

Would the standard Xmark be a better way to go?

Anyone have an opinion on the kreigher vs. lothar walther?
Posted By: ColdBore Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/16/12
Originally Posted by Torque
85 black, 15 purple

I know that they all come out different, but I'd be afraid that you won't even see the purple with that combo and ratio.
I didn't think Kreiger would go below #5 in SS. Am I reading their chart wrong?

Is the bottom metal preference a performance preference or just personal?
In .284 they may go #4 SS, I'm not 100% sure Torque.

Bottom metal is preference, see no need to have the 'Sniper lookin box' hanging down below my stock, not neccesary for a hunting rig IMO. If I wanted a DBM, I'd go H&S flush mount. I think they just came out with Gen-2.
Originally Posted by ColdBore
85 black, 15 purple

I know that they all come out different, but I'd be afraid that you won't even see the purple with that combo and ratio.
I agree with Gary. Maybe in the bright ass sunshine you may see some purple.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/16/12
I have done a lot of side work this year and have saved up enough to finally build this rifle. Here are the components and the plans for them. Any educated advice is VERY welcome. I plan on this being my every year hunting rifle, so please let me know if you think I'm making a mistake or know a better way to go.

6. Leupold PRW rings

I'm sure I can't go wrong choosing a Kreiger, but my last project used a Lothar-Walther 26" 30-06 barrel and it shoots 1/2 MOA. So, Im torn between the two atm. I will probably go Kreiger since I have never owned one and would like to give them a try.

The jewell trigger is my other concern. They have a great reputation, but I have seen other choices brought up by some members.

Once the barrel is installed at Kreiger, it will head to Eddie Fosnaugh for Cerakote and bedding in the McMillan.

Glass is up in the air for me. S&B, Leupold are the two I have had experience with.

Are you stuck on the Surgeon 1086? there nice but designed more for a tactical setup and pretty heavy, you might look at a Defiance or Borden action, a Rock Creek #3 5R barrel is the perfect hunting contour and they shoot awesome,save your $$ on the surgeon BM, an ADL would be cheaper and lighter, you won't find a nicer trigger than a jewell, if not a Jewell than get a regular factory trigger tuned by Niel Jones and by all means skip the Xmark, and it's hard to beat a Mcm classic for all around hunting unless the Rem hunter fits you better and a #5 is the smallest Kreiger will go on a SS .284, Bartlien may go a bit smaller but you would need to call Frank Green to find out,study the blueprints for other builds alot of info in there ,I would try to keep it 7 3/4- 8 #'s all up...good luck with your project!
Posted By: drover Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/16/12
I have owned numerous Jewell triggers for my competition rifles and generally have had good luck with them, the one issue I did have was an intermittent fail to fire (trigger would not release). I had not made any adjustment to it except to set it at an even 2# so it was not a self-induced failure, I sent it back to Jewell and they took care of it.

However with that being said I would be a bit hesitant to put one on a hunting rifle since that incident. I recently purchased a Shilen trigger and could not be happier, it was $85 at Midway, I put it on one of my varmint rifles, adjusted it to 1 - 1/4 pound pull, and with my electronic pull gauge it is within an ounce on every pull.

Here is where I am on it -
for competition (weight of pull less than 1 pound) go with the Jewell, for hunting go with the Shilen. I am thinking that the Shilen is one of the great bargains out there, the break is as crisp and clean-breaking as a Jewell (set at hunting weights), it was less than half-price and is a simpler design.

drover

Posted By: Torque Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/17/12
Aside from the cleaning/rusting possibilities why go for the ss over the chrome moly to achieve the contour ?
Posted By: Cocadori Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/17/12
Call me crazy but.. seeing as your going all out on the other stuff.

the heart of any rifle is the barrel.. why'd you choose kreiger?
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/17/12
Originally Posted by drover
I have owned numerous Jewell triggers for my competition rifles and generally have had good luck with them, the one issue I did have was an intermittent fail to fire (trigger would not release). I had not made any adjustment to it except to set it at an even 2# so it was not a self-induced failure, I sent it back to Jewell and they took care of it.

However with that being said I would be a bit hesitant to put one on a hunting rifle since that incident. I recently purchased a Shilen trigger and could not be happier, it was $85 at Midway, I put it on one of my varmint rifles, adjusted it to 1 - 1/4 pound pull, and with my electronic pull gauge it is within an ounce on every pull.

Here is where I am on it -
for competition (weight of pull less than 1 pound) go with the Jewell, for hunting go with the Shilen. I am thinking that the Shilen is one of the great bargains out there, the break is as crisp and clean-breaking as a Jewell (set at hunting weights), it was less than half-price and is a simpler design.

drover

The Shilen is somewhat less exspensive, but a Jewell is the best feeling trigger I've ever used,and I have yet to have any issues so I will run them till I do, I just think they get alot of negative press that is not warranted, If they are setup correctly and in good working order they work and feel great, I guess I could used a Shilen if I had to... smile
Originally Posted by Cocadori

This is only my second project. So, I'm pretty new. The tone of your question suggests you think there are better barrels out there. I selected Kreiger based on two things:1)reputation,The vast majority of people I read that talk about their Kreigers love them. 2)customer service. My original choice was Brux. I have contacted them on two separate occasions about shank length. I realize I'm still a newb about this so my questions may have been phrased incorrectly. I needed to get the shank length for the McMillan stock fitting when I ordered (Rick called and needed it) it since it was going to be fitted with an oversized recoil lug. They gave me the shank length off of their website. To clarify my question, I reiterated the measurement I needed and why. They gave me the same measurement again. It's nothing against them, but they seemed to busy to give me a correct answer, and they didnt bother to call me to clarify. Kreiger on the other hand answered all of my questions, gave me the correct measurements the first time I called. Once again, that is not a burn against Brux, the impression I got is that they were very busy.

So, which barrel would you suggest?
BTW, thank you all very much for the feedback and suggestions. My questions to you are not meant to argue with your suggestions. I just want to understand the "why" of the choice.

This is only my second project. So, I'm pretty new. The tone of your question suggests you think there are better barrels out there. I selected Kreiger based on two things:1)reputation,The vast majority of people I read that talk about their Kreigers love them. 2)customer service. My original choice was Brux. I have contacted them on two separate occasions about shank length. I realize I'm still a newb about this so my questions may have been phrased incorrectly. I needed to get the shank length for the McMillan stock fitting when I ordered (Rick called and needed it) it since it was going to be fitted with an oversized recoil lug. They gave me the shank length off of their website. To clarify my question, I reiterated the measurement I needed and why. They gave me the same measurement again. It's nothing against them, but they seemed to busy to give me a correct answer, and they didnt bother to call me to clarify. Kreiger on the other hand answered all of my questions, gave me the correct measurements the first time I called. Once again, that is not a burn against Brux, the impression I got is that they were very busy.

So, which barrel would you suggest?

Bartlein or Rock
I highly doubt Krieger takes much of a back seat if any to Bartlien or Rock Creek, show me a better barrel crafter than these three......I didn't think so smile
Posted By: Kaleb Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/17/12
Not a thing wrong with most any barrel. Pretty odd for someone to question why you'd choose a brand??...wth.....unless its for contour reasons. Kreiger makes a fine barrel...but so does everyone else. I'd choose a maker that will contour a ss barrel in contour you'd want.
Purple and black sounds cool but like some have said it won't show up...will be a blacked out wash. I can imagine what your lookin for but have to advice as how to get there. It a roll of the dice man!?
Tried to say have no advice how to get that look. Phone spells words I didn't type some times
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Not a thing wrong with most any barrel.

Depends on what your looking for..but they are not all equal!

Posted By: KDK Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/17/12
Purple and black sounds cool but like some have said it won't show up...will be a blacked out wash. I can imagine what your lookin for but have to advice as how to get there. It a roll of the dice man!?

Yeah, man, I would specify something around 50/50, listing black first as the dominant color. Check the McSwirley thread and look at the black/orange mixes.
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Not a thing wrong with most any barrel.

Depends on what your looking for..but they are not all equal!

No they are not. Not trying to start a pizzing match. Just asked why he chose the maker he did.

Some push volume. I tend to look for makers that have more hands on.

I've shot most ever brand of barrel. The one he chose isn't near the top of the list. I'm sure they have some great barrels out there.

Not trying to start a pizzing match. Just asked why he chose the maker he did.

Posted By: 300MAG Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/17/12

Your jokin right?? Krieger is one of THE best barrels on the market - ask some of the top-notch gunsmiths (Robert Gradous, Surgeon Rifles, Terry Cross, BlackOps Precision, Jon Beanland etc etc) what they use.................

The three I'd stick to is: Krieger, Bartlein, and Rock
Posted By: slg888 Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/17/12
Until my Jewel freezes/lock up, I'll keep hunting it.

10 degrees Saskatchwan w/Jewel trigger

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 300MAG

Your jokin right?? Krieger is one of THE best barrels on the market - ask some of the top-notch gunsmiths (Robert Gradous, Surgeon Rifles, Terry Cross, BlackOps Precision, Jon Beanland etc etc) what they use.................

The three I'd stick to is: Krieger, Bartlein, and Rock

I'm aware of what they use. I've had rifles by some of them.

just asked a question is all.

Maybe I just had an off barrel by them....
Just like slg888 & a few others - I run jewell triggers on my hunting rifles and have never had any problems in the field!!
Cocadori,

All barrel companies have a lemon go out the door sometimes - it happens. Its how they handle it that makes them a good company!!
Just like slg888 & a few others - I run jewell triggers on my hunting rifles and have never had any problems in the field!!

I've run quite a few jewels myself. Dusty conditions is not their friend.
They are great triggers and like them a lot. I'd choose something else for a working field rifle though.
Posted By: REDGUN Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/17/12

Dusty conditions is not their friend.

+1

We hunt in dusty/sandy conditions and I have seen a Jewell trigger get "locked up" a couple times.
Posted By: slg888 Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/17/12
Originally Posted by REDGUN
We hunt in dusty/sandy conditions and I have seen a Jewell trigger get "locked up" a couple times.
This 'joker was kicking up some sand to lock my Jewel in Africa.... He was not successful smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cocadori Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/18/12
Get a lot of dust in the truck did ya? Must been hunting with the Windows down
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/18/12

6. Leupold PRW rings

I would change the #2 barrel to a #3. I'm not sure Krieger will even do a stainless #2 in 7mm.

Instead of the Remington Hunter, use the McMillan Hunter. The Remington Hunter will swallow anything short of a #4 barrel. The McMillan Hunter has a slimmer forend more suited to a lightweight barrel. If you're dead set on a Remington Hunter, then I would go no lighter than a #4 barrel.

I use Shilen triggers and really like them.

John
Posted By: slg888 Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/18/12
Don't think so grin try agian. A pic from my exterior seat & where my rifle stayed. My Bat action was covered in dust & stiff to cycle, but never an issue with the Jewel trigger.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cocadori Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/18/12
Originally Posted by slg888
Don't think so grin try agian. A pic from my exterior seat & where my rifle stayed. My Bat action was covered in dust & stiff to cycle, but never an issue with the Jewel trigger.

[Linked Image]

Eventually tight tolerances will fall subject to issues in dusty conditions. Jewel's aren't an exception. I've seen it happen a few times.
Posted By: BBsteel Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/19/12
I'm doing a couple similar builds in .280 AI.

Rem 700 actions (blue printed)
Rock #2 SS finished at 23" or 24" (going against the grain on the #3 folks)
1) McMillan Hunter Edge Stock. Like others have stated, this is the slimmer version than the Rem Hunter. I already have one in a 7-08 with a Rock #2 in it and love it.
2) McMillan Rem Mountain Rifle Edge
Both will be ADL

I'm building all around light weight hunting rigs for future trips.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: So here's the plan...... - 09/19/12
BB, my latest build is very similar to yours.
#2 Rock 24" 6mm/284.
HuntersEDGE.
Mine is being screwed nutless on a LH LA Savage.
Posted By: Torque Re: So here's the plan...... - 11/12/12
Here is how everything panned out.

Surgeon 1086 Long Action
HS Precision Long Action Bottom metal
McMillan Hunter (decided on McWoody)
#4 Rock Creek Stainless 7mm 8.5 twist
Jewell Stainless Trigger with safety and no bolt release

The only things left I have to purchase are rings, I have the Leupold rings I mentioned earlier, and glass.

After spending the money on the things above, I don't want to go cheap on the glass. I am considering a Nightfoce 3.5-15x50. Any suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on a gunsmith for cerakoting and the final build would be appreciated. I have had a gunsmith in GA recommended to me. Does anyone have suggestions for a gunsmith who may specialize in or does very good work on 280 AI with the 40 degree shoulder, not the SAAMI spec?
Posted By: sgtsmmiii Re: So here's the plan...... - 11/14/12
The Nightforce 3.5-15X50 is a pretty good sized scope, especially on a rig with a sporter contour barrel. Dimensionally, the NF 2.5-10X32 might be just as good magnification wise but aesthetically better balanced.
Posted By: JPro Re: So here's the plan...... - 11/14/12
I hear that the slim forend of the McMillan Hunter will pretty well be slammed full if going with a #4. I'd push it back to a #3 if it were mine. If you are wanting to go with a heavier rifle, as it seems that way since you are mentioning a big NF scope and #4 contour, then I would go with something other than the McMillan Hunter. Too many of your parts choices are conflicting in my book.
Originally Posted by JPro
I hear that the slim forend of the McMillan Hunter will pretty well be slammed full if going with a #4. I'd push it back to a #3 if it were mine. If you are wanting to go with a heavier rifle, as it seems that way since you are mentioning a big NF scope and #4 contour, then I would go with something other than the McMillan Hunter. Too many of your parts choices are conflicting in my book.

I agree that the NF will be a tank on a hunting rig, but think the New McM Hunter will do fine on a #4 Rock. I had my Hunter done for a #4 Rock and while it is slim, it seems to have plenty of stock left for a decent look:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 300MAG Re: So here's the plan...... - 11/14/12
Here's a similar rig I built in 7MM Mag:

*Surgeon 1086 action

*Brux #5 fluted barrel = 1-9" twist, 24" finished length, Kampfeld muzzle brake

*McMillan Rem Hunter stock

*Badger M4 bottom metal, Rem mag box, milled steel follower, & spring

*Jewell trigger tuned to 2.5#

*All metal cera-koted graphite black

*Seekins rings

*NightForce NXS 3.5-15x50 scope

[Linked Image]