Home
Found this on another forum:

"Keeping with news worthy events, McMillan Stocks has been sold also. The sale is complete at the end of September.

McMillan Rifles has sold also, with the sale completing sometime after the 1st of 2014."

Can anyone confirm or debunk??

Could this be why stock orders are taking so long to full-fill??

Jeff, I tried buying McMillan using 'someones' technique ju'ing them down to penny's..... it didn't work. Lol
You mean you couldn't jew them down anymore, WTF??

Just doin them a favor!!
IF (a big IF) this is true - its big news!!

I am sure Rick Bin knows the deal................he's sold quite a few of their stocks. Maybe he'll shed some light on this rumor or fact??
Here is the thread from longrangehunting.com - read down through & you'll see the statement I posted:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f42/surgon-action-119283/
Hmmm. I'll reserve the right to believe the news until I hear confirmation, press release, etc. Right now the source is an anonymous, unidentifed person with 5 posts on a chat board. For all I know he could be BCD in disguise.

Edit: But he could also be correct... It would be big news...
I agree joelkdouglas!!
Maybe Rick bought them - he has like 20+ Edge stocks in the classifieds all ready to go - maybe???
Maybe.................Rick??
It is true - McMillan has sold their company.

From "Lowlight", owner of snipershide.com:

"They were, heard about it last month but nobody said it was ok to release it.

I believe it is the same group that bought Surgeon, AWC, et. al"
Might be why stocks are so far behind.
So if you have a stock on order.....what does that mean?

I love their stocks and would like to have one more!
This is a good question.
Hope mine comes before they change hands mad smirk
The new company would be flat out phhucking retarded to change even one thing to any of McMillan's designs....and I hope that statement holds true....
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
So if you have a stock on order.....what does that mean?

I love their stocks and would like to have one more!

[Linked Image]

No soup for you!!! Come back in one year.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
The new company would be flat out phhucking retarded to change even one thing to any of McMillan's designs....and I hope that statement holds true....
Considering the new buyer discontinued the Surgeon RSR & made it almost impossible to get an action, no telling what's in store for stock purchasing.
Every time I have seen a company buy, Chit has always changed and it's ALWAYS for the WORST...
My guess, and its only a guess, is that if McMillan sold, present management will stay in place for at least one year, and all current orders will be filled in due course.
Originally Posted by Grand
is that if McMillan sold

Rick Bin confirmed the sale in another thread.
I wonder how long before we have "pre-sale" McMillan prices vs. "post-sale" McMillan prices?

Travis
I'm hoping with the sale they will expand production.
Originally Posted by deflave
I wonder how long before we have "pre-sale" McMillan prices vs. "post-sale" McMillan prices?

Travis

Collectors will look for "pre-14" Mcmillans.
This makes me a little hesitant to order a new Mcmillan, until things are sorted out.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
This makes me a little hesitant to order a new Mcmillan, until things are sorted out.

I was thinking the same. Often things go from great to crappy after a purchase with new management focusing on $ rather than the product, heavy turnover losing trained workers, production issues, quality issues, etc. Hopefully that won't be an issue here.
I like the way you all think and keep it up. Next McMillan in 12 weeks sounds good.
I hope to be wrong....
Most deals like this typically include an "earn out" agreement with previous owners so the the company doesn't turn to crap after the sale.

Owners of a recently sold company, suddenly with millions in their pockets, need an incentive to make the transition happen to protect the buyer. That is fairly standard proceedure.

DF
On the upside, Barnes sold out years back and look where they are now. It's always a "wait and see" when something like this happens.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I like the way you all think and keep it up. Next McMillan in 12 weeks sounds good.

I hope you're right.

Just don't want to see another Marlin fiasco.

I hope you're right.

I sent an e-mail and told them not to do that. So we're all good.

Travis
Most likely the sell price was determined by the income approach, i.e. future profits, hence a budget/projection in which the sell price was based upon. Now, more so than ever, its all about whatever it takes to meet that budget. All the investor cares about is return on the dollar. Who knows how that will turn out for us.
Originally Posted by JPro
On the upside, Barnes sold out years back and look where they are now. It's always a "wait and see" when something like this happens.

You're right.

Sometimes, the investor brings in capital to what may be an undercapitalized operation (the only kind I ever had anything to do with) and the visionaries can then grow their "baby" into what it should be.

Other scenarios, the "bean counters" take over and the visionaries/engineers/innovators are suddenly on the hind teat. I think that's what we're seeing with the Remington, Marlin fiasco. Ruger seems to have a handle on their operations.

IMHO,

DF

I hope you're right.

Travis

Whew...!!

Man, am I glad you had the foresight to do that, Travis... laugh

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Ruger seems to have a handle on their operations.

I agree, except when Ruger lets the iceberg sniper design new products.
Let me be the first to start a conspiracy...

It makes a business more attractive to investors to have a large backlog of orders. It is guaranteed revenue in the future. For a company to fall that far behind and yet refuse to invest in more equipment and staff makes me wonder.
At the same time, why would they invest in a 100k CNC, etc if they knew they were selling out.
Originally Posted by keystoneben
At the same time, why would they invest in a 100k CNC, etc if they knew they were selling out.

That could make sense. Depends on what the buyer wants.

It could up the ante on the deal. I wouldn't do it unless it made sense. I'm sure they did what they needed to do. You position assets to max a sale.

DF
Let's hope the new owners see the need for some new machinery. Otherwise lead times are going to keep inching up until they are a year out.

The only other way to slow lead times is by raising prices to decrease demand, or to get a bad rep which also decreases demand.
What do I do, what do I do? Order right away to lock in the price? Wait and see if quality drops off? Order one of the two I need off the specials even though it's not exactly the way I want it but could make it work...?
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Let's hope the new owners see the need for some new machinery. Otherwise lead times are going to keep inching up until they are a year out.

The only other way to slow lead times is by raising prices to decrease demand, or to get a bad rep which also decreases demand.

New machinery to solve some back log issues should sweeten the Pro Forma, which is what a prospective buyer looks at.

I'm sure it made dollars and sense to add a CNC machine. Buyers look at production, the cost of sales and how the bottom line is impacted. A CNC machine can be cost prorated over time, creates depreciation and boosts output. Expensive tooling may have been something McM couldn't have or wouldn't have done without a take out on the table. Major investments are a positive sign that a serious owner intends to make a return on investment.

Hopefully, this deal will be a tripple win for buyer, seller and us.

Hopefully... smile

DF
Originally Posted by bigJ
What do I do, what do I do? Order right away to lock in the price? Wait and see if quality drops off? Order one of the two I need off the specials even though it's not exactly the way I want it but could make it work...?

When in doubt, always buy.

Travis
Well so long as they don't start using Popsicle sticks as "standard fill" ..........like MPI.....
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Well so long as they don't start using Popsicle sticks as "standard fill" ..........like MPI.....

I saw those photos.

I wonder if that was a scam, someone trying to make MPI look bad, as if they needed any help... blush

DF
Most Poorly Inletted doesn't need any help

I hope you're right.

LMAO, It's always refreshing to see someone with initiative.
I like the you roll buddy............ laugh

Travis
Gotta stay ahead of 'em.

Travis
Glad you're on top of stuff around here! I cringe when I start to think about what pre-14 stocks on pre-64 s will start to fetch............ laugh
Been trying to get you folks to start running laminates. smile
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized

In our fireplaces? That's the only place you will find a laminate at my house.

I think I'll just keep buying McMillans.

Travis

I think I'll just keep buying McMillans.

Travis

In the spirit of diversity and policical correctness, I use both... crazy

Wouldn't want to "offend" anyone... blush

My new found "sensitivity"... cool

DF
Laminate wood is for floors, or beating a cat to death. Not rifles.

Travis

Travis

OUCH...!

Poor kitty... shocked

DF

Travis

Wow, you really do pound that pussycat!

Travis

Says the guy with a bright yellow/green one.
good news,...I have 5 McMillan stocks here,...now they are Pre'13 McMillans,...gotta be worth double of anything coming out from now on...:-)

Originally Posted by SLM

Travis

Says the guy with a bright yellow/green one.

Shhh....

Travis
It's alright... I've got a blue/grey in the same funky pattern on a 10/22. It's a comfortable stock and fairly light.
So who bought McMillan Stocks ?

They now go by McMillan.

Travis

They now go by McMillan.

Travis

I hate change.....
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

They now go by McMillan.

Travis

I hate change.....

The McM family will probably end up with an impressive pocket full of "change".

So, I'm thinking they should be pretty positive about "change".

DF
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

They now go by McMillan.

Travis

I hate change.....

The McM family will probably end up with an impressive pocket full of "change".

So, I'm thinking they should be pretty positive about "change".

DF

$$Change$$ is good....

They now go by McMillan.

Travis

I heard they are still going to take credit cards and will even ship your stocks directly to your door.

Just ordered one this morning from McMillan thru Rick for one of my sako 75s. All the other stock makers that were talked about here seem to be geared more towards model 700s.
I would think this transition is going to be OK. An expereinced buyer will address potential problems with the changing of hands that may affect production and cash flow.

Brand, reputation, production and cash flow are what they're buying and typically place a premium on all that. Anything that hinders good will and marketability punishes the buyer. Those big equity firms putting together companies are pros at that. It's how they grow and prosper. So, a mess up or a bobble isn't good for business or their reputations as equity firms.

I'd be surprised if there is a problem. Things may actually improve with capital infusion and enhanced production capacity. Maybe we won't we waiting half a year or better for a McM stock.

DF

Originally Posted by Killertraylor

They now go by McMillan.

Travis

I heard they are still going to take credit cards and will even ship your stocks directly to your door.

That's crazy.

I called the other day and all the chicks still sound like they love me. So that's good.

Travis

They now go by McMillan.

Travis

That's crazy.

I called the other day and all the chicks still sound like they love me. So that's good.

Travis

Maybe that's why McM decided to sell... blush

Front office girls gone berserk... cool

DF
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Maybe.................Rick??

Yeah, they are going to change the name to RickMillan grin whistle
You think Rick may have an announcement to make...??

My guess would be one of those equity firms, buying up families of companies to fit a product profile.

We've seen that before.

I talked to the McM folks about my order and everything seems to be on track. I would think any transition would be seamless. To do otherwise would be pretty dumb on the buyer's part and most of those equity types didn't get where they are, making dumb business moves.

DF
I predict the stock company doesn't get sold.....
Yeah, they do have several divisions.

Will be interesting to see how all this shakes out.

DF
My son went in and ordered a stock last Friday and they told him that Kelly was keeping the stock manufacturing and just selling the custom rifle division.

Just passing on what they told my son.

They now go by McMillan.

Travis

I heard they signed a deal with Walmart and are making injection molded plastic stocks with swirley patterns, and will be available on "Walmart Exclusive" SPSs and Model 70 Super Shadows.
I would think this transition is going to be OK. An expereinced buyer will address potential problems with the changing of hands that may affect production and cash flow.

Brand, reputation, production and cash flow are what they're buying and typically place a premium on all that. Anything that hinders good will and marketability punishes the buyer. Those big equity firms putting together companies are pros at that. It's how they grow and prosper. So, a mess up or a bobble isn't good for business or their reputations as equity firms.

I'd be surprised if there is a problem. Things may actually improve with capital infusion and enhanced production capacity. Maybe we won't we waiting half a year or better for a McM stock.

DF
Well said. Today's environment is a far cry from the 80's with Gordon Gecko where investors bought fat-filled companies to strip out cash, slash pensions, etc. Many family-held companies are either resource-constrained or overly-conservative as they near a "sell event," so the new owners are often the catalyst to 21st Century manufacturing, expansion, new product development, etc. Yes, the new owners could literally trash the place, but I'm betting on the opposite.
I waited 11 months for my first McMillan. It was an Edge hand fitted by McMillan. Once I finally received it the action was full of clay which took me hours to clean out. The supposed lightweight Edge weighed 4 ounces more than the Sako Finnlight factory stock it replaced.

No more McMillan anything for me.
© 24hourcampfire