Home
Posted By: BurninDupont Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/04/13
Howdy all not much rifle build specs posted lately and would like to remedy that and hear your thoughts. If one was to spec out an all around 243 AI for hunting whitetails how would you do it?

700?
Mcmillan EDGE or a swirl?
Barrel contour?
etc

Thanks
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/04/13
700, Edge, KS contour at 22"
700 SA
#3 or #4 Kreiger 8 twist at 24"
Obnoxious McSwirly Classic McMillan (think 50% black/ 50% yellow)
VX-3 CDS in LW Talleys

The End.

I'd go:
Savage
30"
1/12" twist
blued
M24 Contour
In a nice Wildcat style walnut stock
Simmons 6-24x50, 1/8" turrets in
Leupold windage adjustable bases
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/05/13
A sorta cheaper alternative. 700, benchmark, HS ultralight,

[Linked Image]

or a more expensive alternative

[Linked Image]

Rock carbon fiber blank, pheonix machine action, MCM edge
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/05/13
or maybe a kiddie rifle

[Linked Image]

or a little heavier option

[Linked Image]

I kinda like the 243 AI
Posted By: RickF Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/05/13
My 243Ai is the cheapest rifle I own. It's my truck gun. It is just a M700 243 sporter barreled action, rechambered and bedded in a Ti take-off stock.

It runs as well as a rifle can, is perfectly balanced, and just might be my most accurate sporter rifle.

I can't think of a way to improve it. I have sporters that cost 5X as much. But they don't work any better.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rembo Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/05/13
I spent a bit more than RickF did and mine ended up like this...but his shoots better.

blued BDL action, 24" stainless factory barrel rechambered and stuck into a Classic Edge. With the 3.5-10 in Talleys it's 7lbs 6 ounces.
It also wears a Shilen trigger.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: irfubar Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/05/13
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I'd go:
Savage
30"
1/12" twist
blued
M24 Contour
In a nice Wildcat style walnut stock
Simmons 6-24x50, 1/8" turrets in
Leupold windage adjustable bases

Boxer would approve!! laugh
Go with steelheads blueprint.
Posted By: woodson Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/05/13
Originally Posted by RickF
My 243Ai is the cheapest rifle I own. It's my truck gun. It is just a M700 243 sporter barreled action, rechambered and bedded in a Ti take-off stock.

It runs as well as a rifle can, is perfectly balanced, and just might be my most accurate sporter rifle.

I can't think of a way to improve it. I have sporters that cost 5X as much. But they don't work any better.

[Linked Image]

That is exactly what I would do. If the tube didn't shoot to expectations then spend the cheddar to replace with a 1-8" #2.
Posted By: slg888 Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/05/13
McSwirly Classic or Mnt Rifle ADL
700 Rem
Kreiger #3 @22" - 8 twist
Any of top 3 triggers
Talley lites
15oz scope
Pushing 95gr BT or VLD's

Rifle will approx weigh 7.75-8 lbs.
Originally Posted by RickF

[Linked Image]

Tough to beat that, price-wise, if the Ti stocks fit you. (they work for me!) Similar setup is evolving to be my practical hunting rigs. Light enough to pack a ways, typically shoot well, and can be assembled at a reasonable cost.
Posted By: JPro Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/05/13
Originally Posted by slg888
McSwirly Classic or Mnt Rifle ADL
700 Rem
Kreiger #3 @22" - 8 twist
Any of top 3 triggers
Talley lites
15oz scope
Pushing 95gr BT or VLD's

Rifle will approx weigh 7.75-8 lbs.

Basically this. I'd go MR handle and #2 contour SS at 23".
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/05/13
I'm with Rick.

I picked up a used ADL 243 and put it in a Ti handle that came with a Bat trigger guard. Added DNZ mounts and 3.5-10x40 Leupold.

Hard to beat for the money.

If I can't get the factory tube to shoot, I have a #3 8twist Brux around here that will end up as a 243AI or sumptin' similar.
Posted By: rta48 Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/05/13
As a lefty I did the following:

Sako 591 Action, Brux #3 8 twist cut to 23" sits in a McMillan Sako Varmint stock (GAP camo) wears Leupold Mark 4 AR 3x9 - duplex,,,,,, trigger is factory tuned to 1.5

plenty of room to kiss and chase and the thing loves 105's
Posted By: erickg Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/05/13
Currently in the works,

PN #1 1/8 twist to be finished at 22"
MCM Classic ADL in GAP camo
Rifle Basix trigger
Talley LW's
Leupold 3.5-10 w/M1's
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/05/13
Originally Posted by Steelhead

This. Somewhere around the KS/#1/#2 contour with an Edge....might go 23" on length. The .243 always seems so loud to me...I'm sure the extra inch will make it a lot quieter. whistle
Posted By: mpwolf Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/05/13
I just put the following together, and it's a real dream to handle.
-700, Lilja #2 @22", mcmillan classic- standard fill, talleys and a 3.5-10 w/ M1 elevation.

Mine is a 6mm-250 AI, but don't hold that against me!
Posted By: woofer Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/06/13
[Linked Image]
Posted By: KDK Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/06/13
How's the balance on this with the factory 24" tube and the edge?

Originally Posted by rembo
I spent a bit more than RickF did and mine ended up like this...but his shoots better.

blued BDL action, 24" stainless factory barrel rechambered and stuck into a Classic Edge. With the 3.5-10 in Talleys it's 7lbs 6 ounces.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Jamison Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/07/13
My favorite from a few years ago was a SA700, SS #3 Pacnor Fluted, McM Classic in Campfire Camo, VX3 3.5-10x40 with Ele turret. Tuned old style trigger, all coated in OD Cerakote.
Posted By: rembo Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/07/13
Originally Posted by KDK
How's the balance on this with the factory 24" tube and the edge?

Originally Posted by rembo

[Linked Image]

balance is OK in my books.

Some might find it a tad muzzle heavy.
Posted By: KDK Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/07/13
Balance point an inch or two in front of the action screw?
Posted By: rembo Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/07/13
Originally Posted by KDK
Balance point an inch or two in front of the action screw?

can't check now,....I just cropped the barrel to 22" and sold the barreled action...:-)

now I have an empty Micky Classic Edge......what to do?...:-)

Swirl Rem. hunter
#3 contour

Or

Edge mountain rifle

All stainless^^ and a coin toss between 2.5x8x36 or 6x42 leupy + talley LW.

On the cheap:
700 SS mountain rifle
used edge
used leupy 6x42 + tally lw
Posted By: rem338win Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/07/13
McMillan Sako Hunter Edge ADL
#3 Kreiger Contour cut @ 24" w/ 6 Flutes

If you want a heavier setup go with this. I think its 8 pounds 12 ounces with a loaded 5 round mag.

[Linked Image]

Factory SS takeoff barrel (24")
Mcmillan Sako Hunter stock
Atlasworx DBM and AICS mags
FX3 6X42 with M1 turret
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Bingo!
Posted By: keith Re: Spec me a 243 AI pweeeze - 11/09/13
Craft your rifle around the bullets you want to shoot. For whitetails, three come to mind that are stone cold proven killers:

85g Barnes triple shock
95g Nosler Partition
100g Hornady BTSP

If using these three bullets, don't have the gunsmith throat the barrel for a 115g bullet...you will not be able to touch the lands and use the magazine. Std throat with a 105g bullet is 0.100 of freebore.

I use R#19 with the 85g triple shock, and 4350 with the 95 partition and 100g Hornady BTSP. The case is no where near full of powder, so stuffing the bullet down in the case is not an issue....short throat=long barrel life with exceptional accuracy.

If you care to own your own reamer, contact Pacific Tool and Grinding or Loon Lake for reamers. I have mine ground with Minimum SAAMI spec with no turn neck, .2435 throat, and send them dummy rounds with the bullet seated at the length that you would like, they will match the ogive on the reamer to the bullets sent. The reason that I mention reamer specs is that it relates to magazine length of your loaded cartridge. If you go 243 AI, then accuracy is probably going to be of importance for you for some longer shots. Being able to maintain a particular bullet jump in your loaded round, will extend the life of the barrel in as far as extreme accuracy is concerned...every gun is different.

Two years ago, a buddy talked me into shooting an 85g triple shock, he has killed a LOT of deer with this bullet. I worked up a load on my SS rem, and 44.5g of R#19 with a win primer shot 1/2" within tweeking the load 20 shots...accurate bullet/powder combo.
I had the chance to shoot a doe about 100 yds out, broadside shot and then she quickly turned and started walking away from me. I needed the meat, so I shot her straight up the butt. She collapsed on the spot, graveyard dead to my amazement. I found the bullet underneath the hide after it had traveled the length of the body, and had broke the front shoulder.

I have killed many, many mulies and whitetails with the 95g partition. In my limited experience shooting partitions, the 243 Win with the 95g is the most accurate of all the partitions that I have shot, second by the 25caliber 100g partition. Deer shot with the load of 43g of IMR 4350 with the 95g partition in my old Ruger 77- 243 Win, just massacred deer...as bad as a 30/06 with 150g Sierra at 3000 fps. I killed several Nebraska heavy bucks at 300+ yards with this bullet, none of them traveled more than 30 yards. Also, the 100g Hornady BTSP is a sleeper bullet that few know of, wicked on large hogs, and we have killed large Kansas bucks at 300-320 yards with it.

I will tell you that the AI is loud, for that reason, I leave a barrel at 24"-26" due to the concussion of the load on your ears. For stand hunting, longer barrel are of no concern. For a truck gun...that is another matter. My first custom 243 had a 22" barrel, an I swear, it sounded like I was lighting off a stick of dynamite two feet from my head...I traded it off...to each his own.
© 24hourcampfire