Home
I know, probably been done, and I remember reading about the 6.5 Weatherby-Wright-Hoyer about 40 years ago, and that one would be pretty similar.

Reason I am asking is, I am trying to trade for a 264 WinMag rifle (which if I am successful would make my FN Supreme Sporting Mauser rifle in 257WBY expendable and immediately for sale) and I remember just how much more I enjoyed my one 7mm Remington Magnum once I ran a 300 WinMag reamer into the chamber. That mutha was some kinda FAST, and I LOVE me some FAST!

So, as I wait to hear back from party number two about my trade offer for his Late Model 70 Classic in 264 WinMag, the wildcatter and speed whore in me started to think up ways to make the great 264 WinMag even BETTER, as in even FASTER.

The Model 70 Classics are long enough to accept a 300WBY case, so I could do a 6.5 Weatherby-Wright-Hoyer, but I like the shorter neck of the 300 WinMag for my 6.5 project. And, the slightly lessened powder capacity of the 300 Win Mag VS the Weatherby might make more sense for my light bullet loads in my new deersmacker. I am thinking, and hoping for, 110gr or 120gr 6.5 TTSX's at 3800fps or a bit better.

Anyone here done this or seen it done?

Wondering if it is uncommon enough (original enough) for me to be able to call it the .264 Safariman smile
PS: Anyone here want to trade me a couple hundred 257 Weatherby cases for a similar number of 264 WinMag empty cases? How about several hundred 100gr and 115gr Barnes TTSX bullets for some similar weight (110-120gr) 6.5 TTSX's? <G>
I found that McWhorter is building rifles so chambered, and stating 3500fps with 139-140gr bullets. Sooooo..... my 110-120gr TTSX's, with Moly, should get me to the 3700 range, anyways. Talking to my self here a bit at after Midnight (Kidney Disease pain and other symptoms again) but the idea sounds kind of fun and may have merit!
Mark- How about a full length 8mm hull necked down to 6.5. That would basically be a 6.5 STW right?

Or you could open the bolt face and do a 6.5 RUM!
Originally Posted by safariman
I found that McWhorter is building rifles so chambered, and stating 3500fps with 139-140gr bullets. Sooooo..... my 110-120gr TTSX's, with Moly, should get me to the 3700 range, anyways. Talking to my self here a bit at after Midnight (Kidney Disease pain and other symptoms again) but the idea sounds kind of fun and may have merit!

Pretty sure the McWhorter 6.5 Wby is based on the 257/270, not the longer 300
Wouldn't that just be a 264 win mag with a weatherby shoulder? I use 264 win mag brass necked down for the 257 wby. Long way around the barn.
A 264 WM case is essentially a 7mm Rem Mag case, not based off the 300 WM.

I would probably cut to the chase and buy a scope with turrets but that's just my way. Probably a McMillan, too.

Tanner
May want to shoot as is for a few months.. Never know how quick Nosler will bring the 26 to life....

W
Originally Posted by Tanner
A 264 WM case is essentially a 7mm Rem Mag case, not based off the 300 WM.

Tanner

I am quite aware of that, which is why I am considering building a 5.6 off of the longer bodied 300WinMag case.

Turrets, and plastic? HERESY! <G>
Originally Posted by shortmagfan

Pretty sure the McWhorter 6.5 Wby is based on the 257/270, not the longer 300

They have both. Listings of chambering available includes the 6.5/300 WinMag. So, if I do one, I will not be the first (not that I really thought that my idea was not already thought of and tried, somewhere)
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Mark- How about a full length 8mm hull necked down to 6.5. That would basically be a 6.5 STW right?

Or you could open the bolt face and do a 6.5 RUM!

Don't think for one moment that these ideas have not crossed my mind! And, I have a several coffee cans stash of 8mm RemMAg brass alrady in the gun room to make sure that I will always be able to feed my 340 Tyrannosaur.

For the small bore of the .264 though, I think the 300 WinMag case might be the ticket. I sure liked my 7mm Mashburn Super and this would be very similar, with only a slight difference in bore and bullet diameter. Could be called a 6.5 or 264 Mashburn Super, also. But, I kind of like the ring of 264 Safariman for some reason <G>
Rangefinders and turrets have made magnums unneeded and unwanted, especially for sub 500 yards duties.

I say buy a bunch of bullets, a good scope with repeatable adjustments, and spend your money and time practicing.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Rangefinders and turrets have made magnums unneeded and unwanted, especially for sub 500 yards duties.

I say buy a bunch of bullets, a good scope with repeatable adjustments, and spend your money and time practicing.

Thanks for the input, but that is not how I roll. I do have a good LRF Binoc combo set, but was able to take my Mule deer buck this year at 618 yards (Likely the longest shot I will ever try) and make a perfect hit with the first shot using just a little "Kentucky Windage" with my 257WBY. Kept the verticle crosshair where I wanted the bullet to land in relation to his foreleg, and placed the horizontal wire atop his antler tips and killed him.

The super speeds I love are not just for trajectory flattening purposes. I love how the mega speed rounds, using Barnes TTSX bullets in particular, flatten game real quicklike and how many DRT's, Bangflops, never heard the shot type of kills I get. IME, the venison tastes better when a buck does not have any time to pump a bunch of adrenaline into his system and his lights go out immediately upon the bullet impacting. I don't get that result EVERY time, but most of the time I do and enough of the time to keep me shooting the stuff that starts out at 3500fps or better for deer. Several times, if the range is under 450 yards or so, I have been able to watch a buck collapsing in my scope before the recoil pushes my view up and away from my deer. More often than not when I re-aquire the deer in my scope he is just laying there, never to move again.

Plus, its FUN!

Fun to DRT a deer, fun to have something a little different and unique to me in camp, fun to discuss the ballistics and speeds and such.
You might take a look at the .26 Nosler when it comes out. Sounds similar to what you're wanting to build. No belt to deal with from what I've garnered about this cartridge.

Bend, Ore. � November 22, 2013 � Like many shooting enthusiasts, the Nosler family has always dreamed of introducing a new rifle cartridge to the industry; that time is finally here with the arrival of the 26 Nosler�.

The goal of the new 26 Nosler� cartridge was to introduce something to the shooting sports industry that took full advantage of new technology available to shooters including the advance of optics, reticle systems and of course high Ballistic Coefficient (B.C.) bullets such as the AccuBond� Long Range� line. The old boundaries are about to be pushed to new limits.

The 26 Nosler� cartridge was designed to take advantage of the inherently accurate and high B.C. 6.5mm (.264) caliber bullets, and is capable of shooting the Nosler� 129 grain, AccuBond� Long Range� bullet at a blazing 3400 fps out of the muzzle. Zeroed at 350 yards, the 26 Nosler� has a Point Blank Range of 0-415 yards. Loaded with the 129gr ABLR, the 26 Nosler� retains as much velocity at 400 yards as the 260 Remington� produces at the muzzle.

The 26 Nosler� case is non-belted, thus headspaced off of the shoulder to further enhance accuracy. The �26� also utilizes a standard (30-06) length action meaning shorter bolt-throw and lighter weight than magnum length actions.

�I really feel the 26 Nosler� has great value amongst the large family of 6.5mm cartridges. With minimal recoil, tremendous velocity, energy and the ability to point and shoot at the intended target up to a quarter mile away, this is the quintessential deer, antelope and long-range target cartridge available on the market today.� �Bob Nosler, CEO/President Nosler, Inc.

The 26 Nosler� is a new and unique cartridge that was submitted to SAAMI� in June, 2013. The formal launch will take place at the 2014 SHOT Show where more exciting news will be released regarding this cartridge. Additional announcements will include Nosler�s new platform rifle, in addition to exciting new bullet, brass and ammunition offerings.

For the most current information on Nosler product announcements, visit Nosler�s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/NoslerInc

-###-

Media Contact:
Zach Waterman
Public Relations Manager

Originally Posted by taylorce1
You might take a look at the .26 Nosler when it comes out. Sounds similar to what you're wanting to build. No belt to deal with from what I've garnered about this cartridge.

Bend, Ore. &#150; November 22, 2013 &#150; Like many shooting enthusiasts, the Nosler family has always dreamed of introducing a new rifle cartridge to the industry; that time is finally here with the arrival of the 26 Nosler�.

The goal of the new 26 Nosler� cartridge was to introduce something to the shooting sports industry that took full advantage of new technology available to shooters including the advance of optics, reticle systems and of course high Ballistic Coefficient (B.C.) bullets such as the AccuBond� Long Range&#153; line. The old boundaries are about to be pushed to new limits.

The 26 Nosler� cartridge was designed to take advantage of the inherently accurate and high B.C. 6.5mm (.264) caliber bullets, and is capable of shooting the Nosler� 129 grain, AccuBond� Long Range&#153; bullet at a blazing 3400 fps out of the muzzle. Zeroed at 350 yards, the 26 Nosler� has a Point Blank Range of 0-415 yards. Loaded with the 129gr ABLR, the 26 Nosler� retains as much velocity at 400 yards as the 260 Remington� produces at the muzzle.

The 26 Nosler� case is non-belted, thus headspaced off of the shoulder to further enhance accuracy. The &#147;26&#148; also utilizes a standard (30-06) length action meaning shorter bolt-throw and lighter weight than magnum length actions.

&#147;I really feel the 26 Nosler� has great value amongst the large family of 6.5mm cartridges. With minimal recoil, tremendous velocity, energy and the ability to point and shoot at the intended target up to a quarter mile away, this is the quintessential deer, antelope and long-range target cartridge available on the market today.&#148; &#150;Bob Nosler, CEO/President Nosler, Inc.

The 26 Nosler� is a new and unique cartridge that was submitted to SAAMI� in June, 2013. The formal launch will take place at the 2014 SHOT Show where more exciting news will be released regarding this cartridge. Additional announcements will include Nosler&#146;s new platform rifle, in addition to exciting new bullet, brass and ammunition offerings.

For the most current information on Nosler product announcements, visit Nosler&#146;s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/NoslerInc

-###-

Media Contact:
Zach Waterman
Public Relations Manager

Thanks! I had not heard much about that round yet. Sounds like someone else besides me understands the advantages of a long point blank range and super speeds on deer, antelope and the like. Noslers new round sounds exciting and full of merit. I wonder how much more case capacity it will have VS the 264 WinMag round.

Waiting for this one, and checking to see if its chambering reamer will clean up the chamber of a 264 WinMag may have some merit. Though I would have to buy new brass and I already have several hundred new 300 WinMag cases laying in the gun room.

Thanks for the input, but that is not how I roll. I do have a good LRF Binoc combo set, but was able to take my Mule deer buck this year at 618 yards (Likely the longest shot I will ever try) and make a perfect hit with the first shot using just a little "Kentucky Windage" with my 257WBY. Kept the verticle crosshair where I wanted the bullet to land in relation to his foreleg, and placed the horizontal wire atop his antler tips and killed him.

The super speeds I love are not just for trajectory flattening purposes. I love how the mega speed rounds, using Barnes TTSX bullets in particular, flatten game real quicklike and how many DRT's, Bangflops, never heard the shot type of kills I get. IME, the venison tastes better when a buck does not have any time to pump a bunch of adrenaline into his system and his lights go out immediately upon the bullet impacting. I don't get that result EVERY time, but most of the time I do and enough of the time to keep me shooting the stuff that starts out at 3500fps or better for deer. Several times, if the range is under 450 yards or so, I have been able to watch a buck collapsing in my scope before the recoil pushes my view up and away from my deer. More often than not when I re-aquire the deer in my scope he is just laying there, never to move again.

Plus, its FUN!

Fun to DRT a deer, fun to have something a little different and unique to me in camp, fun to discuss the ballistics and speeds and such.

How much drift and drop did your rifle have at that range? If you were just guessing, I would put that shot soundly in the irresponsible realm.
Indeed....
Very early in the AM, no breeze yet. The hold was going to place my bullet somewhere between the brisket and the Withers just behind the foreleg which means a clean miss or a kill shot. Experiences of the past told me I was going to get a center of the ribcage hit, through the boiler room, and I was right.

I and my hunting buddies shoot Mule deer at 400 yards plus every year, and know how and where to hold. We practice on varmints all spring and summer. Like with a traditional archer or shotgunner who kill game regularly, we don't always know all of the math to the Nth degree but lots and lots of practice and experience combined with super speed rounds bring it all together. Been doing it this way, successfully, for a long time now.

Don't know how, or more to the point WHY, a discussion of my wildcat cartridge idea went this direction. If ya'll want to shoot sedate catridges and do the turret twisting thing, go forth and be happy. Some of us do it another way, and we are also successful and have loads of fun with our methods. And, we kill our game cleanly and swiftly.

I like the shorter neck of the 300 WinMag for my 6.5 project.

Why would you want a short neck?
My .264 wm pushes the barnes 130 grain tsx at 3470 fps.
Have seen a few posts on 6.5-300 win mag in shooter forums in the past. List speeds with bullet weights and powders used.
" but I like the shorter neck of the 300 WinMag for my 6.5 project."

safariman : care to elaborate on that please ?
Since two people asked, I am still in the light bullets at warp speeds camp. No need for a long neck with such pills. And, the less neck contact with the bullet - to a point - the better the potential accuracy (or so I read, hear, etc) Seemed to work well with my 7mm Mashburn and a few other of my favorite wildcats.

Shortening the neck also gives one a longer case body and room for more gunpowder. And, they LOOK cool and fast that way. All fuel, no payload smile
Mark,

I developed a wildcat 6.5 mm on a 300WM case, modified by blowing the shoulder out by decreasing the taper of the case. Also moved the shoulder forward, shortening the neck to maximize case capacity. I had Dave Manson make the reamer - so he has the case drawings and reamer specs - and had a M-70 Classic 264 WM re-chambered with it.

I still have the load data and case drawings. If you want more details PM me. Very accurate - best 300 yd group I've ever shot. It produced very similar ballistics to the 6.5/300 Wby you mentioned, but with a more commonly available case. The high MV with 140 grain bullets and common case availability were the main goals I had in mind in this design.

Also used the same case for a 7mm and a 358 version as well. Still have the 358 in a Model 700 Rem - pretty good elk rifle.
Wildcatter,

Great and informative post. My deal fell though for the Model 70 264 WinMag so I will not be pursuing this project. Sticking with the 257WBY as a deer rifle.

Thanks bunches for the offer, I might need the help on a future project, though.
SM, glad to help if I can.
Why not do a 6.5/378 weatherby magnum AI'd
King of em all.
Originally Posted by Tom264
Why not do a 6.5/378 weatherby magnum AI'd
King of em all.

Don't tempt me.... <G>
Very early in the AM, no breeze yet. The hold was going to place my bullet somewhere between the brisket and the Withers just behind the foreleg which means a clean miss or a kill shot. Experiences of the past told me I was going to get a center of the ribcage hit, through the boiler room, and I was right.

I and my hunting buddies shoot Mule deer at 400 yards plus every year, and know how and where to hold. We practice on varmints all spring and summer. Like with a traditional archer or shotgunner who kill game regularly, we don't always know all of the math to the Nth degree but lots and lots of practice and experience combined with super speed rounds bring it all together. Been doing it this way, successfully, for a long time now.

Don't know how, or more to the point WHY, a discussion of my wildcat cartridge idea went this direction. If ya'll want to shoot sedate catridges and do the turret twisting thing, go forth and be happy. Some of us do it another way, and we are also successful and have loads of fun with our methods. And, we kill our game cleanly and swiftly.

Your discussion could have ended before it started by contacting just about any reamer or die manufacturer.

If you and your buddies practice all summer on varmints, why would you possibly want a fire breathing magnum? I personally don't feel comfortable at longer yardages unless I put a couple hundred cartridges a year minimum at that range. With a fire breather, that's going to come out to a couple years of barrel life.

Try some turrets sometime. You will be loathe to go back to the "hold over and pray" technique.
WhT about a 6.5-378 weatherby?
Or a 6.5-50 BMG. Or a 6.5-20mm.
Or a 6.5-50 BMG. Or a 6.5-20mm.

NOW were talkin! A Barret Model 82 semi auto, 36 inch barrel (Lilja three groove of course) chambered in the 264/50BMG!

Have Karnis build me a pretty stock for it out of exhibition grade Claro Walnut, top it with a Barska or BSA 8-32x66mm scope and VOILA'! crazy

You guys are killin me here!
You'd only need one five round magazine for it. There would be plenty of time to thumb more rounds in while the barrel was being changed. grin

Your discussion could have ended before it started by contacting just about any reamer or die manufacturer.

If you and your buddies practice all summer on varmints, why would you possibly want a fire breathing magnum? I personally don't feel comfortable at longer yardages unless I put a couple hundred cartridges a year minimum at that range. With a fire breather, that's going to come out to a couple years of barrel life.

Try some turrets sometime. You will be loathe to go back to the "hold over and pray" technique.

Contact a reamer person first.... how much fun would THAT have been?!? And how would it have helped my post count? Headed for Campfire Oracle here, donchaknow <G>

Actually, I don't give a rip over my campfire title, but I DO care about having fun discussions here and sharing ideas and constructive criticism even.

The Varmint Rifles we shoot mimick our CF deer rifles, and we do use our big game rifles (including even my 416 Rigby) on ground squirells and such so it is far more than a holdover and pray deal when I or my deer camp guys shoot at fairly distant mule deer bucks. When I pull the trigger, I am fully expecting a resounding "THA-WHACK sound to come resonating back at me and to see a deer on the ground, usually not moving. The deer I shot this year at 618 lazered yards did walk a little bit after the hit, as a 25 caliber, 100gr bullet has lost quite a bit of zip and energy by the time it reaches 618, which is oneo f the reasons I am considering building a sor to super 6.5. I also bought some newly released Barnes 115gr 25 cal TTSX's and plan to Moly them up and try them this year in my new PacNor 27.5 inch 257WBY barrel. Might just be the ticket to get a little more stomp onto a mule deer waaaaaayyyy out there.

On the topic of Turrets though, My good friend Jim Hackewicz really loves his CDS turret on his Leupold scopes and various rifles. Once I settle on my rifle and load, I could see myself liking such an arraingment.

I had kind of thought that my idea for a 6.5/300 WinMag was a non starter since the deal fell through for me to trade my LSA-55 308 for a model 70 in 264WM, but I am sure that my gunsmith has not yet ordered my new barrel yet, and soI still COULD go 264 WinMag or my wildcat idea, but build it on my FN Mauser which has already had its bolt face and feed rails modified for a Medium length Magnum cartridge! Rifle came to me as a 257WBY with too short of a barrel, so re barreling to any similar length magnum round is within the realm of possibilities.

I think I will start a new thread about that very topic, i.e. WWYD to build the perfect long range deer rifle using a magnum bolt face commercial Mauser as the starting point.
Originally Posted by mathman
You'd only need one five round magazine for it. There would be plenty of time to thumb more rounds in while the barrel was being changed. grin

Laffin out loud here, that was a GOOD one!

I wonder if Lilja gives a discount for buying, say, 10 barrels at a time... Probably will need three or four of them to sight the beast IN.

Gettin harder and harder to convincemy wife that I hunt for the "free" meat, though crazy

Contact a reamer person first.... how much fun would THAT have been?!? And how would it have helped my post count? Headed for Campfire Oracle here, donchaknow <G>

Actually, I don't give a rip over my campfire title, but I DO care about having fun discussions here and sharing ideas and constructive criticism even.

The Varmint Rifles we shoot mimick our CF deer rifles, and we do use our big game rifles (including even my 416 Rigby) on ground squirells and such so it is far more than a holdover and pray deal when I or my deer camp guys shoot at fairly distant mule deer bucks. When I pull the trigger, I am fully expecting a resounding "THA-WHACK sound to come resonating back at me and to see a deer on the ground, usually not moving. The deer I shot this year at 618 lazered yards did walk a little bit after the hit, as a 25 caliber, 100gr bullet has lost quite a bit of zip and energy by the time it reaches 618, which is oneo f the reasons I am considering building a sor to super 6.5. I also bought some newly released Barnes 115gr 25 cal TTSX's and plan to Moly them up and try them this year in my new PacNor 27.5 inch 257WBY barrel. Might just be the ticket to get a little more stomp onto a mule deer waaaaaayyyy out there.

On the topic of Turrets though, My good friend Jim Hackewicz really loves his CDS turret on his Leupold scopes and various rifles. Once I settle on my rifle and load, I could see myself liking such an arraingment.

I had kind of thought that my idea for a 6.5/300 WinMag was a non starter since the deal fell through for me to trade my LSA-55 308 for a model 70 in 264WM, but I am sure that my gunsmith has not yet ordered my new barrel yet, and soI still COULD go 264 WinMag or my wildcat idea, but build it on my FN Mauser which has already had its bolt face and feed rails modified for a Medium length Magnum cartridge! Rifle came to me as a 257WBY with too short of a barrel, so re barreling to any similar length magnum round is within the realm of possibilities.

I think I will start a new thread about that very topic, i.e. WWYD to build the perfect long range deer rifle using a magnum bolt face commercial Mauser as the starting point.

When did these bullets come out???? I know they make a 25cal 115gr FB barnes that requires a 1-9" twist. Why not just wait till the new 26nosler comes out whats the big rush to make a wildcat when what your asking is already going to come out soon?
Mark- Knowing your fondness for wildcats and barrel burners, I'd do the 6.5-300WM in a heart beat.

What will you do for dies?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I thought these two rifles interesting, so I picked them up. They were built for and owned by C.A.Jr. I am curious as to the time frame of building the 6.5-300 and the release of the 264 WIN Mag. Thoughts on why he chose the 300 case? WC264 I could make use of that load data, will PM if that's cool? A friend has necked down two cases and loaded them with 15gr of unique topped off with cream of wheat, and a toilet paper plug. To form cases to send to the die maker. Not sure whether to chamber them and pull the trigger with my finger, or a long string ran around a sturdy building.
Dell, Damn COOL rifles there!

Plenty of useable load data that will give you a starting point.

I have been looking for a LH rifle for my brother in law, I would love to trade you out of either or both rifles. Please let me know if either one is expendable.
Mark, clean up your pm box.
Sent you a email titled 300 win 264 win
Sounds like a Mashburn.... smile

W
Originally Posted by Les7603006
Mark, clean up your pm box.
Sent you a email titled 300 win 264 win

Cleaned out my PM box and sent you one. Thanks for thinking of me!

MARK
© 24hourcampfire