Home
Is it worth building a 338/06 AI? Can it push those bullets fast enough to be worth it or is that RUM territory?

Just musing things in my head.

"I saw your question in an old post. I did this with a 338 RCM. I tried single loading in my sporter with 22" barrel. Had sierra MK kissing rifling and it shot a couple of bullets into one hole at 200 yds! I used 52 grs of RL-17, vel was a mundane 2280.

This prompted me to make a second 338 RCM on a LA. I had the reamer and asked the gunsmith to long throat it. You may have seen my posts on it. Rifle is 14 lbs. Barrel a #7, 29"long. Now am shooting 300 gr Berger hybrid with BC of .818. It is very accurate and downrange it is amazing. Vel is only 2575 but it has 3000 ft/lb at approx 600 yds and wind drift is very minimal. Using 210 fed match primers and 57 gr of RL-17"

Got this from a fellow member. It may help.... I was asking same question a while ago....

W

If using an 06 case for LR work, I'd be inclined to look at the 7mm-06, or .308-06, for high BC bullets giving a ROI.

An OKH will shine well, a 200gr AB/BT at 2900+ is not bad, but its BC a lighter smaller cal higher BC from a 7mm or 30 is perhaps your huckleberry.

Had the non-ai, did great but if shooting really far LR, would as soon use a 7RM or WSM w/heavies. If custom, a 280/AI.

What is your game/target and desired reach?
The best shorter case for long-range ballistics is the B-29, the 7.5x55 Swiss necked down to .29 caliber with a slight change to the shoulder angle. Bullets have such high BC's there is NO wind-drift.
I already have a 7mm08 and a Montana I'm slumming in 270 wsm for the moment that are my utility hunting rifles.
This was more of a pipe dream for a long action winny action I have sitting around. I was thinking .280AI but wanted some variety since the Montana will be getting a rebarrel to 7 wsm over the summer.

If I do end up ordering this rifle, it would be used for elk and general dicking around with.

Ok John, you're the gun writer, whatever you say.. laugh
Dies are on the way and I just saw Scenar's on-sale. Guess it is meant to be...

Now I need to score some Whelen brass to neck down.
They advertise 36-06/35 Whelen cylinder brass here:

cylinder brass

kup
© 24hourcampfire