Home
I set up a custom contour with Lilja today. They will dupe the 84m contour, but finish at .610" versus the factory muzzle diameter of .565". The contour will drop in the factory stock, as the barrel diameter at the end of the forearm is already larger than .610". The taper basically increases in the last 12" of barrel.

They will name the contour and designate it on their factory contour page in time. They'll email me the contour name in the next couple of days for reference. I'll pass that along for those interested.
Very cool. Will make for a very nicely balanced setup.
I'll have one shortly. It may be a couple of weeks, but I'll drop it in a stock and take some pictures for comparison.

I may have just spent money on something else that didn't need fixing!
For what cartridge will your new barrel be chambered? 6.5 Creedmoor?
First will be 308. I'll see how it does and go from there. The 243 Winchester and 6.5 Creedmoor will be next if things are good. I ordered a few barrels...

I'm currently having a 6.5 screwed together, but that's on a 700. Remington magnum contour, 8.5" twist Brux.
Lilja should call it the SAS special, or the Campfire Contour.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I'll have one shortly. It may be a couple of weeks, but I'll drop it in a stock and take some pictures for comparison.

Let me be the first to say YOU SUCK!!!!!
Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

I may have just spent money on something else that didn't need fixing!

Nicely done Darrik!

Will be looking forward to your future posts and pictures.
Just as an FYI, Pacnor will do the same, as far as duplicating the contour to the end of the forearm and then tapering to your specified muzzle diameter.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Just as an FYI, Pacnor will do the same, as far as duplicating the contour to the end of the forearm and then tapering to your specified muzzle diameter.

Yep, they did that for me 10 years ago.
Looking forward to the pics. I'm thinking I could like that though.
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by smokepole

Yep, they did that for me 10 years ago.

I went to Lilja because of inventory. I knew Pac-Nor would do the job, but they don't keep many barrels on hand. Lilja keeps an inventory that can be turned down pretty quick. Benchmark is another that was wiling to do it, but they don't keep much inventory either.

Brux was one of the manufacturers that wouldn't do the project....nor would Kreiger.

There are places that keep a nice inventory and selection, but you'd have to send the barrel to someone for the contour work. My goal was a one-stop shop, with a quick turn around. I realize this has been done before -- it's not earth shattering. I wanted to make it easy for me and others to order without a several month wait.
Derrik, were you just trying to put a little more weight out front? Are you finishing it at 24"?
I just got a Lilja,6.5, 8 tw. and he delivered ( AGAIN ) on time as promised.
I'm finishing at 22". The goal was for a tad more weight out front, better balance. They're very good as is, but a custom barrel job should improve things a tad.

If I'm going to spend the money for new tube installation, I want it throated right. I'm tired of the excessive freebore on factory Montana's. I may has well have a barrel contoured to my taste as well!
For rebarreling a Montana in something .22 caliber would a simple factory contour dupe do it or would it still be beneficial to use this new contour with a little more meat?
I had planned to pick up an in stock Brux or Krieger and have it recontoured, but I may end up going with the Lilja in this case. Might simplify things quite a bit.

Any idea when these will be available to order?
I would expect soon. They are emailing me the invoice with the contour name as soon as the program was finished. I was told I'd have it Monday.

BurninDupont -- it's all about personal preference. I for one would go with the new contour in any chambering on a Montana 84M -- that's why I had them do it.
Good deal, thanks. Let us know when they get you the contour name, I'll be placing an order pronto.

Thanks SAS, looking forward to it!
D,

Now I have more incentive to toast this 243AI barrel.... grin
For anybody interested:

The contour name from Lilja is "MOD84M". The change modifies the muzzle diameter from .565" to .610".

The contour will be listed on the factory contour page in time, but you can give them the name above when ordering. I'd also refer to the muzzle diameter change until the officially have it listed as an option on their web page.

My first barrel shipped yesterday, so I should have some pictures soon.
This is awesome. Awesome!

Now it makes me want to buy a 243 84M JUST so I can get a 1:8 twist barrel made for it.

Thanks short action!

My first barrel shipped yesterday, so I should have some pictures soon.

Looks like I'll have to be down next week to check this sucker out!!!
IIRC the 8400 short barrels are a touch beefier. Wonder if they could or match that taper for the larger barrel?
The 8400 and 84 barrels are different animals, especially the WSM's.

Lilja does have the 8400 contour on their page.
Wonder how that contour could translate to an 84L?

Just wondering if the 84M and 84L are similar except for the shank length, and a little extra at the muzzle?

Nice job SAS!
I have a Lilja #2 contour 6.5mm in 8 twist at the gunsmith's right now to be contoured to pretty much those specs.
Making a .260 out of a .308.
Will be great to be able to order up the contour staight from Lilja though in future. Should make for the ultimate deer hunting rig in my eyes.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Wonder how that contour could translate to an 84L?

Just wondering if the 84M and 84L are similar except for the shank length, and a little extra at the muzzle?

I was wondering this as well.
I've never owned an 84L. If the shank is longer, you'd need to specify that with Lilja. The contour I had them use was an 84m shank dupe. I would imagine they'd need to lengthen the shank for it to work.
This thing is perfect! It fits the channel to a "T" and has a little more beef from the stock forward...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That's awesome! Can't wait to order a couple!
Looks perfect! Please let us know how it shoots!
I think I could really like that!
Can some one recommend a smith to chamber and install a barrel on a Kimber 84M?
Very nice...
Looks great!
Let me know first when you want to sell the 243 version!

Nice looking barrel, fits the stock just right. I'll bet it will make the Montana feel "good" I should get one coming this way.

SAS thanks for all your efforts in this.
SAS,

Curious.....did you happen to get a before/after weight change with the new contour?

Thanks,

JCM
It's not installed yet....

I'll weigh everything before it ships out this week. I'll post some pics...
Gotta admit that I've stayed away from the Kimbers because of all the smoke surrounding them. Your threads on the easily fixed ailments and the custom barrel contour are making me reconsider�

John
Lots of idiots out there John, that likely shouldn't even own a rifle, making lots of idiotic statements.

Redneck
Darrik, could you do a favor and weigh both at such a time as you pull the factory tube?

Thx.
Just threaded, chambered barrels....or after assembly?
Darrik, threaded, chambered barrels, prior to assembly...
I'm thinking you are going to notice the difference and will be glad you did it.
Will do Brad.

Harry, I'm thinking I'll like it too. FWIW, my Forbes 20B 7-08 came in today and I'm liking the way it feels as well.
Can't wait for the head to head comparison! Get some pics of that new 20B when you get a chance. Oh and I want dibs when the time comes! whistle
You got the last Forbes I had! I'll probably hang on to this one for a while....
Thx Darrik.
Originally Posted by elkrazy
Can some one recommend a smith to chamber and install a barrel on a Kimber 84M?

Greg Tannel does as precise of chambering work as anyone out there. He's about 6 months out, IIRC. His number is 970-878-5421. He did my Kimber 84M rebarrel in .257 DGR.

Jordan
Did anyone ever get a weight of the MOD84M barrel at wither 22" or 23" relative to the original 84M barrel? Thinking about a 23" for my Montana and wondering what the weight change would be.
From what others have posted for the weights it adds about 6 oz
© 24hourcampfire